HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Preds\hamilton Talk\argument\debate Goes Here

Old
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
sluggo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
That's because everything you've read is hoping for just that, but there's still a lot of lawn to be mowed before it comes to that. This whole thing seems to have "woken up" the city of Nashville, especially on a corporate level.
You could say the samething about anything written about the situation from within Nashville, just hoping they stay.

Personally, I think the most telling/important piece of this is a rich, intelligent owner with lots of lawyers who doesn't want his team in Nashville. If he didnt know he could move the team, I seriously doubt he would have bought it.

sluggo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanek-26 View Post
You could say the samething about anything written about the situation from within Nashville, just hoping they stay.

Personally, I think the most telling/important piece of this is a rich, intelligent owner with lots of lawyers who doesn't want his team in Nashville. If he didnt know he could move the team, I seriously doubt he would have bought it.
The difference is that there's facts to back up what I'm saying\reading. The rallies, the numbers...it's hard to make that stuff up. Balsillie hasn't even spoken yet, he's using a mouthpiece who has done little but talk out both sides of his mouth and say things that have no hope of being true. He came off as very ignorant of the situation, no matter what side you support. The FACT, yes, FACT remains that if Nashville averages over 14,185 this season...which is completely possible and maybe even likely, with backs against the wall, that nothing he, his lawyers, or anyone else can do can move the team for at least a few more years. The mistake that he, and you, and members of the Canadian media, is making is assuming that the Predators won't make the number AND the city won't make up the number is a foregone conclusion.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
No, it was hinted by the host (and Rodier would not deny) that Leipold would give notice as part of the deal. I believe McCown said he would have demanded that up front, to which Rodier replied "Interesting". He said that Balsillie can't this year because the deadline to do so will have passed when the sale goes through.
Actually, Vanek, you must have been half listening. The McCown comment and Rodier "interesting" comment to which you refer was with respect to getting consent from the NHL to move the team. THAT is what McCown said he would have demanded up front, and Rodier gave his reply. Rodier would not respond either way to the question, BTW.

Quote:
Again, Rodier would not confirm or deny that they can give notice before the 07-08 season.
Rodier did state his interpretation, but carefully noted that is assuming one wanted to give notice.

Quote:
After the interview (not online) McCown and Kelly said that Hamilton is 63 miles (based on their experience driving from one to the other, which Kelly does a lot), which out outside the area.
As Kelly stated, that was door of Copps to door of the Aud. I can tell you that you have to go several miles past Copps until you hit the corporate city limits, which is the defining limit.

Quote:
It has been reported here that Balsillie has booked Cops Collisum in Hamilton for the 08-09 season, and that he would keep the team in Hamilton (paying the Leafs, not the Sabres) for 2 seasons while a new arean was built in Kitchener Waterloo.
Reported where?? Here on HF Boards??!? Balsillie has entered into a letter of intent to discuss a transaction with Hamilton. He has booked nothing. Where have you been? For reasons why moving to Hamilton and then KW are ridiculous, please go to the Business board and look up some of my posts. I have pretty well definitively demolished that thought.

Quote:
If you mean the first (or one of the first) points he brings up, he didn't miss-interpret, the constitution contridicts itself.
As read, the constitution does not contradict itself. The provisions address different scenarios.

Quote:
All I said was they talk about moving team, seems like that was what the conversation was about.
Fair enough.

Quote:
No, while in Hamilton they would have pay Toronto (but they would challange that, as it has never been enforced by the league, the Ducks and Kings settled it themselves). However the belief is the team will ultimatly be in Kitchener Waterloo, which outside of both the Sabres and Leafs territories.
That is what I said, although you are incorrect that it has never been enforced. NJ paid $33 million to the NYR.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
lugnut76

Question????? Is the 14,185 average tickets sold or actuall butts in the seats?

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
Question????? Is the 14,185 average tickets sold or actuall butts in the seats?
sold. actual attendance for the predators this year was closer to 16K, but that's not the number the clause is based on.

Old
06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Wally112pac

It's only a matter of time before Nashville splits. It's a "dog with fleas" as bob mcCowan put it today.

They were sayin today that Balsillie's wife is from Hamilton.

If Balsillie really wants the team out all he'll have to do is raise ticket prices to the point where 14.5/game won't make it.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post

Reported where?? Here on HF Boards??!? Balsillie has entered into a letter of intent to discuss a transaction with Hamilton. He has booked nothing. Where have you been? For reasons why moving to Hamilton and then KW are ridiculous, please go to the Business board and look up some of my posts. I have pretty well definitively demolished that thought.

I support the city of Nashville and the Preds, but the last thing they need now is incorrect cheerleading...I've read some of your posts, and to say that you definitively demolished the thought of a team in Hamilton or K/W is a little laughable.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Balsillie hasn't even spoken yet, he's using a mouthpiece who has done little but talk out both sides of his mouth and say things that have no hope of being true. He came off as very ignorant of the situation, no matter what side you support
I'm 100% positive his lawyers have told him to shut his mouth.

Quote:
The FACT, yes, FACT remains that if Nashville averages over 14,185 this season...which is completely possible and maybe even likely, with backs against the wall, that nothing he, his lawyers, or anyone else can do can move the team for at least a few more years. The mistake that he, and you, and members of the Canadian media, is making is assuming that the Predators won't make the number AND the city won't make up the number is a foregone conclusion
I love how people assume Balsillie is an idiot. IF that is the case (and I'm not saying you're wrong, just don't know for sure) hes going to have.....plans (for lack of a better word) to get that team where he wants it. Whether that be letting the majority of his UFA's go, raising ticket prices, bullying his way through the proccess (which is not out of the quesiotn, the NFL has never been able to enforce its own bylaws about moving and locating teams). And if the fans in Nashville and/or the city were willing and/or able to show up in droves the team wouldn't be in his situation.

And sorry,what are those facts?

The problem with this situation is we don't have all the facts nor are we (I'm assuming) lawyers, we don't know what Balsillie is going to do or what deals he's made and both cities media's are going to cover the whole thing differently. The few things we do know are - Balsillie is not an idiot, is going to buy the Predators and wants a team in his backyard. He has booked or intends to (they reported on fan, whatever he did, he's put 50,000 dollars down) an arena in Hamilton AND his company bought 25 arcs in Kitchener Waterloo a few weeks ago. The Predators lease can be enforced (at least a little longer) if they average better attendence/ticket sales this season.

Old
06-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac View Post

If Balsillie really wants the team out all he'll have to do is raise ticket prices to the point where 14.5/game won't make it.
Woah, I think you are on to something!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
He has booked or intends to (they reported on fan, whatever he did, he's put 50,000 dollars down) an arena in Hamilton AND his company bought 25 arcs in Kitchener Waterloo a few weeks ago. The Predators lease can be enforced (at least a little longer) if they average better attendence/ticket sales this season.
I don't mean to rain on your parade...But the Copps is a dump. And no owner would put a team in the Copps...So, I put more 'investigative powers' into the aquisition of land in the K/W area that just took place...that being said, I know that Balsille is not dumb - but, is Bettman going to just let him come in and take a team - that has a lease? He didn't with Pittsburgh. He gave some '7 year clause' thing. So, I know that a lot of people want the Preds in CAN - but Hamilton ain't gonna be it...IMO.

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 07:33 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
I don't mean to rain on your parade...But the Copps is a dump. And no owner would put a team in the Copps...So, I put more 'investigative powers' into the aquisition of land in the K/W area that just took place...that being said, I know that Balsille is not dumb - but, is Bettman going to just let him come in and take a team - that has a lease? He didn't with Pittsburgh. He gave some '7 year clause' thing. So, I know that a lot of people want the Preds in CAN - but Hamilton ain't gonna be it...IMO.
Which is why its a temp. site while he builds a real arena for the team.

Balsillie wouldn't buy the Predators if Bettman wouldn't let him move it, lease or no lease.

Old
06-07-2007, 09:04 PM
May Day 10

just remember the NHL has crushed Hamilton joining the NHL on more than one occasion. im not sure about the legality ogf everything, but I havent seen anything from the NHL that would support that move... and Toronto and Buffalo will fight like hell against it.

May Day 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 12:34 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup View Post
I support the city of Nashville and the Preds, but the last thing they need now is incorrect cheerleading...I've read some of your posts, and to say that you definitively demolished the thought of a team in Hamilton or K/W is a little laughable.
No one has contradicted my overview of the situation. There is a reason for that. YMMV.

Old
06-08-2007, 02:03 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Balsillie wouldn't buy the Predators if Bettman wouldn't let him move it, lease or no lease.
Not what Bettman, Leipold or anyone connected to the league has said. All have said, Nashville has a lease and as long as the lease is good they'll be in Nashville. When asked if there was anyway other than the attendance clause that the lease could be broken Leipold said no.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 06:26 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
lace...that being said, I know that Balsille is not dumb - but, is Bettman going to just let him come in and take a team - that has a lease? He didn't with Pittsburgh. He gave some '7 year clause' thing.
The Pens didn't even have a lease. It was due to expire at the end of the season. NOTHING could have held the team in Pittsburgh if Balsillie wanted to move, except for the way that Bettman jumped in and took over.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 11:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac View Post
It's only a matter of time before Nashville splits. It's a "dog with fleas" as bob mcCowan put it today.

They were sayin today that Balsillie's wife is from Hamilton.

Aren't you a Chicago fan? Talk about glass houses....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Aren't you a Chicago fan? Talk about glass houses....
That's irrelevant.

Chicago won't be packin up and leaving in a season or two.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

After listening to that don't the hosts sound very smug and condesending when the talk about the team actually staying in Nashville

Update::: Rodier is supposed to be on 104.5 today at 5PM Cst I hope George Rips him a new one (but he will kiss up as always)

Last edited by Gnashville: 06-08-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
After listening to that don't the hosts sound very smug and condesending when the talk about the team actually staying in Nashville....
Honestly what did you expect?

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 11:34 PM
aka_mouse

Quote:

Like Balsillie couldn't make a mistake? He might be a billionaire.. IMO all he did was invent a hopped up cell phone. big f'ing deal.

I hope Balsillie get ****ed on this deal for 2 reasons... I dont want a competeing team anywhere near Buffalo. We have enough potential problems as it is without having to worry about that. We don't need need southern Ontario fans bailing on us cause they have a team in their backyards now. Not that Canadian Sabres fans would dump Buffalo as thier team, but you can guarantee from there on out into the future there will be no future Buffalo fans in southern Ontario, they will either be Leafs or Hamilton fans. this is especially true since the current US administration plans on making US/Canada bordertown crossings that much more of a pain in the ass.

Also its pretty ****** to give a city a team for ten years, have it grow, then rip the team away from them. Complete dick move by the NHL and Balsillie if that happens. If Nashvilles future is bleak, then so is Buffalo's. Nashville, its fan interest, here it's money.. were are a financially strapped city without too many corporations... we could easily go the way of Winnipeg or Quebec City. Its not even a stretch. ESP with the outrageous cap speculation figures like $52 million - BLO is ****ed. If the NHL wants to grow hockey where people care (but might not have the cash to support ever increasing caps)... and also markets with potential cash where it aint as popular - they need to scale it ALL back.

aka_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 04:15 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Nice post mouse. I hope the BUF/TO Board of Governor members feel the same way!
----------

I don't know if anyone put up a recap of the Rodier interview from 104.5 on the business/other board (b/c I don't read those anymore...too many, uh ...holes). Anyway just thought I'd put a short one here...

The first question was about the rampant speculation of moving the team to which he said, "Just chill." Nashville is a great place, with a great team from office to players. They just want to win a cup and this is already a really good team with Poile and co. He can understand why we're concerned and maybe communications should have been different all around but we shouldn't panic about the team moving.

About the FAN590 interview: Just answering questions and that all moves made were just been contingency plans. If the team doesn't have a lease, they need a contingency plan for a place to play.

The ONLY 2 ways that the team could leave. ONLY 2 WAYS: 1. Lease terminated before 2028. 2. NHL must consent to relocation.

Rodier/Balsillie knowledge of Nashville: Balsillie has never been here. Rodier has been here. He really likes it, especially the bars on lower Broad and The Ryman even though he's not into country (but seeing it live in these little bars it was pretty good). He suggested to his family that they take a family vacation here a few months before this sale was even announced. Said it is a really cool place.

He said that it's tremendous seeing a game live, kind of like the country music in bars vs radio thing. And that building a winner gets people in the arena. Specifically mentioned success of Carolina and Anaheim. They want to win a Cup.

They want to build a long term winner, win the Cup. We have great prospects including Cody "Freeson" and "Dan" Klein. Weber and Radulov are going to be great superstars. Vokoun is a really good goalie. As far as FA's, until they own the team, everything is up to Leipold as to who he signs or doesn't. So even if they don't own the team until mid July, it's up to CL to build the team.

That was about it. Maybe it's my mustard colored glasses, but I wasn't that impressed. Or maybe it was that he was exercising and had to stop to wipe sweat off his head during the interview that I found kind of rude. Really nothing new that we didn't know from the last few days. But I still don't trust them.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 08:04 AM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post

They want to build a long term winner, win the Cup. We have great prospects including Cody "Freeson" and "Dan" Klein. Weber and Radulov are going to be great superstars. Vokoun is a really good goalie.

Gosh, that guy really did his homework! (I assume your quoting him from the broadcast...)

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 10:32 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
Like Balsillie couldn't make a mistake? He might be a billionaire.. IMO all he did was invent a hopped up cell phone. big f'ing deal.
People often think that. HE didn't invent anything. He is not a tech guy. He's an MBA who was a friend of Mike Lazardus (sp), who was/is the tech guy.

Balsillie did nothing of particular note before hooking up with Lazardus. Balsillie's success is completely an accident of "Right place, right time".

Last edited by GSC2k2*: 06-09-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old
06-09-2007, 02:34 PM
SJeasy

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....5/1028/RSS0202

Interesting article regarding Rodier/Basillie budget for player payroll and future plans. Another poster caught XM speculating that the Preds would spend to the cap. That would certainly tend to support Basillie not having the team tank so as to move.

Good luck with keeping your team. I enjoy watching your franchise and appreciate the fans that are already there in Nashville.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 02:38 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....5/1028/RSS0202

Interesting article regarding Rodier/Basillie budget for player payroll and future plans. Another poster caught XM speculating that the Preds would spend to the cap. That would certainly tend to support Basillie not having the team tank so as to move.

Good luck with keeping your team. I enjoy watching your franchise and appreciate the fans that are already there in Nashville.
There's some speculation as to the political motive behind Rodier\Balsillie's comments. They might not be at face value.

I wonder what he would do if Leipold took him up on the offer and authorized Poile to spend whatever.