HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would you pay movie ticet prices to see replacement games?

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 02:54 PM
HckyFght*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HckyFght*
Would you pay movie ticket prices to see replacement games?

I remember going to replacement player games when the NFL had them 20 years ago. They were fun and gave the fans something to cheer about. Knowing that the league was doing something to correct itself, and watching players try to live up to their uniforms was a real kick.

And the games were pretty good. At least here in DC they were. I would relish the chance to see an NHL replacement schedule in '04-'05. Would you?

-HckyFght

Old
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
MHJS
HFBoards Sponsor

If it's hockey, I'll watch it.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Douggy

Maybe if I lived in an NHL city, but I'll probably just end up watching lots of OHL next year.

Old
02-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
For sure.

I can hardly afford NHL ticket prices. Hockey is Hockey, and I enjoy watching bantam and midget games at the local arena in person as much as enjoy watching the Panthers on TV.

But that's probably just because the Panthers aren't mcuh better than local bantam teams .

But seriously, I wouldn't mind watching a bush league for a year or so until the players and owners realize that they are COLLECTIVELY heading for the extinction of our sport.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:49 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
I'm a Pens fan. You mean we don't all have replacement teams now? I think I was grossly misinformed while going to Pens games.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:34 AM
o-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB3939
I'm a Pens fan. You mean we don't all have replacement teams now? I think I was grossly misinformed while going to Pens games.
Since their already using their faem team, just imagine how bad the replacement players would be for Pittsburgh

Old
02-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Blackjack

Hell yeah, The Albany River Rats (Devils Farm team) played a game in NJ and I went, payed my $10 and sat in the first row. While the hockey's not quite as good, but the overall experiance was much better than paying $50 to sit in the second tier in the 12th row, pay $10 to park get stuck in traffic, etc. etc. I had a ball cheering for The top prospects when they scored or created scoring chances. Only problem is I'm not so sure that they'll play games there during the lockout.

Old
02-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

i don't think teams in canada can have replacement players. remember the toronto blue jays couldnt play replacement games in toronto during the 1995 baseball strike. i also wonder where the talent pool will come from? beer leagues because there is no way ahl players will play.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Impossibles

I'm not sure how its gonna happen, but apparently the AHL is going to operate next year no matter what. I'm not sure if the CBA is only between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I'd just go to Giants games. I'm sure Sportsnet Pacific would broadcast those games in place of NHL games. Heck, they already broadcast WHL games over here.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:34 AM
vega007

No I wouldn't go and see a bunch of scabs play.

There will not be replacement players, it is in the CBA that no matter what the league can't do that. Furthermore in Canada it is illegal because of trade laws (we actually respect our unions up here) and any player that plays in any kind of scab situation would then be barred from the NHLPA.

If you don't believe me, look up who won the 2001 World Series in baseball. Look up who the catcher for that team was. If you can find so much as a shirt or even a poster with his name on it, with the MLBPA logo on it I'll send you a million bucks.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
West

Yes, unless I'm to busy going to OHL or AHL games.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
If you don't believe me, look up who won the 2001 World Series in baseball. Look up who the catcher for that team was. If you can find so much as a shirt or even a poster with his name on it, with the MLBPA logo on it I'll send you a million bucks.
Hmm...time to fire up Photoshop.

Old
02-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Malefic74

Not a chance, even if I could.

I will watch Alberta Junior Hockey or go watch the Golden Bears instead. The owners are as much or more to blame for the labor problems in the NHL.

I see no reaason to give them MORE money until they straighten everything out.

Old
02-23-2004, 02:47 PM
copperandblue

Is there any merit to the idea of the parent NHL team hosting a few AHL games throughout the season?

It would give the fans the odd game to see that would include players that the local fans would eb interested in while the lockout is on and shouldn't violate any labour laws because they are used as replacement players.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:04 AM
HckyFght*

So what if Canadian teams can't ice replacements? And so what if Canada has rules barring scabs? They only represent 6 teams. Besides, rules can be changed with a simple vote. The fact that the Canadian Government never saw a business it couldn't tax out of existence, and keeps the economy in a state of perpetual recession is their problem, and by the way, the reason why players insist on being paid in US dollars while the teams collect Canadian revenue. Corrupt Canadian NHL leadership in the '80s nearly doomed the league at a time when the product on the ice was the best in history. But if the 26 remaining US teams replace players, a majority of fans could demonstrate their desire to see the issue settled quickly by their attendence and the union would have their feet to the fire to make some compromises. They'd be doing the Canadians a favor. (Even though, as Gretzky says, there's an "American conspiracy" to see Canadians lose! LOL!) As is, the union can sit back, fold its arms and wait. The League, by allowing the WHA to capture the hockey fanatic's dollars, surrenders even more bargaining power to a union that is lopsided with leverage. I hate Gary Bettman as much as anyone and believe also that ownership allowed this to happen in the first place by not replacing the players ten years ago...I, for one, would be there every night!
-HckyFght!

Old
02-28-2004, 02:46 PM
SuperUnknown

They could temporarily move the AHL teams to the NHL towns next year and then market that product at a way lower price than the current NHL. However, this would probably hurt the current affiliate towns.

P.S.: This wouldn't be against Canadian laws.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:24 PM
HckyFght*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
They could temporarily move the AHL teams to the NHL towns next year and then market that product at a way lower price than the current NHL. However, this would probably hurt the current affiliate towns.

P.S.: This wouldn't be against Canadian laws.

But aren't the players using the alternative league as a way of co-opting the replacement player option? Just a guess.
-HckyFght!

Old
02-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Dr Love

I might, but then when you consider that the WHA is (if it's up and running) going to be competing with the (possible) replacement NHLers, then I am really doubting it, because I might not even see the best scrubs.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:07 AM
HckyFght*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I might, but then when you consider that the WHA is (if it's up and running) going to be competing with the (possible) replacement NHLers, then I am really doubting it, because I might not even see the best scrubs.
I think that if the NHL had replacement games that would thwart a WHA effort. I don't think the WHA could make it work because the players would want to play on the replacement teams in the big markets.

-HckyFght!

Closed Thread