HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry on the Sens Ducks intermission

Old
06-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Sundevil9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
So what you're saying is the enforcers should beat up the coaches and then there won't be anymore systems?
Exactly!

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People in Canada hate Don Cherry, but if he was down here Americans would never be able to get enough of him. Not only would he have his own hockey show, he very likely could not only have his own show about sports, but about life in general.
???????
Quote:
In 2004, he was named the seventh-greatest Canadian of all time (Tommy Douglas won), ahead of Wayne Gretzky and Alexander Graham Bell, in an exhaustive Canadian Broadcasting Company poll that drew 140,000 votes.
He is the most-watched personality on Canadian television and arguably the single-most influential voice in Canadian hockey, despite appearing on camera for less than seven minutes once a week during the NHL's regular season. Even the Canadian Press, the country's national wire service, has someone tape Coach's Corner every Saturday and write a story if Cherry says anything controversial.

How popular and consequential is he?

"It's a real hard thing to describe," admits Joel Darling, executive director of "Hockey Night in Canada" and, thus, Cherry's de facto boss. "He's the most recognized face in Canada. It's like traveling with a rock star, the Rolling Stones, except he's bigger than them in this country."

"It's like if you took John Madden and overlaid him with Rush Limbaugh," adds Calgary-based columnist, author and broadcaster Bruce Dowbiggin, one of Cherry's frequent critics. "It's become larger than life. I don't think there's any position in the U.S. that equates to it."
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...page=doncherry
Here was the competition that Grapes faced for the Greatest Canadian title:
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-74-1455...test_canadian/

Quote:
Controversy has followed Cherry all the way into the television booth. Last year, when it appeared the CBC might not renew his contract, thousands of e-mails and phone calls made the network brass aware that Grapes was indeed a valuable commodity when it came to the ratings.

Even early in his contract with Hockey Night in Canada, the brass objected to his language and asked Ralph Mellanby, then executive producer of HNIC to drop him. Mellanby, who discovered Cherry, told his bosses: 'If you want to drop him, you might as well drop me.'

The CBC brass retreated that time, as well.

And if it hadn't, the late Harold Ballard would have gotten into the act, too. He told the CBC: 'If you fire Cherry, don't bother setting up for Saturday's broadcast at Maple Leaf Gardens."
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...21985-sun.html

It has been said (and not without some truth) that Canada has two official languages, French and English and Cherry is the biggest star on Canadian television who doesn't speak either of them.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 06-05-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Hawker14

I love Cherry.

A previous poster stated that many around hfboards hate Cherry. I've also noticed many here seem to be pro-Bettman as well. I wonder if there is a correlation between pro-Cherry/anti-Bettman and vice versa.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 01:08 PM
McNasty

I don't necessarily enjoy Cherry, but I enjoy that he calls it like he sees it, I wonder if Versus could get him in there instead of Brian Engblom.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
medicman

Saw Don last night on NBC and absolutely loved him! Rare on TV where somebody acutally speaks his mine w/o all the political correctness. Love his wardrobe too. He looked like Colonel Sanders, all he needed was a bucket of chicken!!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
phlocky

Well, I am American and I DO love watching Don Cherry. I think he's great. Even when he's blatently pro Leafs I'd still prefer him over any American analysist. I don't always agree with him but I think he speaks to us old time hockey fans who are appauled at the "new NHL" that Buttman has brought us and all the cheap shots associated with it. I for one would vote for him to be head of the NHL.

He's not worried about being "politically correct" just doing what's right (at least in his eyes). To hell with kissing the non-hockey fans butts, lets just fix our sport for us and give the rest of those left wing, pacifist pansies the finger.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
daynus

don cherry uh sometimes he's ok, sometimes i can't stand the guy.

being a canadian, every canadian has to fork out extra tax dollars to keep don cherry employed, and he is earning a huge salary. i would just as soon have the tax dollars we spend on him put back into my wallet.

daynus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 03:27 PM
rockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post

being a canadian, every canadian has to fork out extra tax dollars to keep don cherry employed, and he is earning a huge salary. i would just as soon have the tax dollars we spend on him put back into my wallet.
lol Don Cherry doesn't work for the Government.

rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
Saw Don last night on NBC and absolutely loved him! Rare on TV where somebody acutally speaks his mine w/o all the political correctness. Love his wardrobe too. He looked like Colonel Sanders, all he needed was a bucket of chicken!!
You don't want to carry around a bucket of fried chicken in a venue where Ken Hitchcock or Mike York might show up.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit View Post
public TV station, i do believe.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
The CBC is a TV station funded by the public. So yes, our (Canadians) tax dollars go to pay his salary.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
TomLaidlaw

hey Guys,

Ranger fan here. Wanted to ask you guys a question and figured I would throw it into the Don Cherry thread instead of starting a new one. Whats the Flyers gameplan next year in terms of bringing in a tough guy? I am assuming Fedoruk is ready for the glue factory so any word on them bringing in a legit heavyweight? Is Riley Cote gonna get a shot to be the enforcer next year? Is eager gonna be the main guy? I for one like the Ranger - Flyer games when there is as much hostility as possible on the ice. Thanks in advance for the response.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
hey Guys,

Ranger fan here. Wanted to ask you guys a question and figured I would throw it into the Don Cherry thread instead of starting a new one. Whats the Flyers gameplan next year in terms of bringing in a tough guy? I am assuming Fedoruk is ready for the glue factory so any word on them bringing in a legit heavyweight? Is Riley Cote gonna get a shot to be the enforcer next year? Is eager gonna be the main guy? I for one like the Ranger - Flyer games when there is as much hostility as possible on the ice. Thanks in advance for the response.
We're just gonna be a tough team, in all likelihood. It's not the biggest concern-if a good heavyweight comes along, they'll snag him, if they've got an open roster slot one night and they're playing the Rangers or someone a guy like Cote might get the call over Ruzicka, but otherwise I think they're just gonna trust the muscle they've got out there. Eager can fight, Richards will fight, Downie will if he makes the team...they'll be OK.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
SaintRon

(Speaking on meeting the Terminator)

Grapes: "He was a good guy, You shoulda seen the security around him. Guns and everything. Nice guy."

Hullie: "He's a right winger that's moving to center?"

Grapes: "No, no, he's a left winger now, He's a tree hugger."

SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
hey Guys,

I expect some brilliantly physical games next season between our teams. It should be great. As for physicality, the Flyers have a number of options though it would be nice for Eager to spend some more time on the score sheet and less time in the box. At the end of the day, there will be players ready to scrap and play gritty in general. There will be as much hostility as possible on the ice.

It would make Don Cherry proud.

Old
06-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
He works for the CBC - it is a government tax subsidized broadcasting network.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People in Canada hate Don Cherry, but if he was down here Americans would never be able to get enough of him. Not only would he have his own hockey show, he very likely could not only have his own show about sports, but about life in general.

The "casual" hockey fan or the new fan would think he is so over the top that they'd look at him like an alien, like "people like this exist?"

I'd love to see him on ESPN first take, bantering with Stephen A Smith and watch Don Cherry dog him or with Skip Bayless and be completely appalled by utter stupidity with that look he gives when Ron MacLean mentions a play and Don just does that gaze and goes "Ohhh, now let me tell you something kids..."
Generalize much?

I'd say your way off base as well. I have met people that are disinterested, but the HOCKEY FANS that I know of all love the guy. His rants are priceless. Even when you don't agree (just fun to watch dammit).

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Generalize much?

I'd say your way off base as well. I have met people that are disinterested, but the HOCKEY FANS that I know of all love the guy. His rants are priceless. Even when you don't agree (just fun to watch dammit).
I love his rants.

The way he comes across in reference to the Nordic countries and Quebec... not so much.

Old
06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Generalize much?

yeah, i'm fascinated by the belief that everyone hates him up there... my take from what i've read is that it's VERY love/hate with him.

i don't particularly enjoy him because i think he's mildly insane, but it's definitely interesting to watch.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post

I suppose but considering that sports in general and HNIC in particular generate the lion's share of revenue for CBC it could be argued that Don Cherry is actually helping to reduce your taxes. If this doesn't work for ya, send me a pm and I'll mail you the 3 or 4 cents that you contribute to his salary.

Raisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
i loved how cherry was just shooting down everything hull said

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 07:53 AM
wingmanpei

It would be interesting to have Cherry & Melrose on the same telecast. Years ago when Melrose was coaching the Kings, Don Cherry sayed he was a candy-a** as a player and is a candy-a** as a coach.

As far as Don Cherry being hated in Canada, there are people up here who don't agree with him and some who don't like him, but the HNIC ratings spike everytime Coaches Corner is on. If Canadians hated him, I don't think they would be tuning into him every saturday night as the ratings who.

wingmanpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Sundevil9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmanpei View Post
It would be interesting to have Cherry & Melrose on the same telecast. Years ago when Melrose was coaching the Kings, Don Cherry sayed he was a candy-a** as a player and is a candy-a** as a coach.

As far as Don Cherry being hated in Canada, there are people up here who don't agree with him and some who don't like him, but the HNIC ratings spike everytime Coaches Corner is on. If Canadians hated him, I don't think they would be tuning into him every saturday night as the ratings who.

I don't know if Cherry ever called Melrose by his actual name. I remember a lot of ranting about "Billy Ray Cyprus" and his hair, though.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Cherry is only in Canada am I right? If so, God I wish he would get broadcasted Stateside too.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote