HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

here come the oneill rumours

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 06:42 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Exactly. The Canucks downfall in last years playoff was defense, not offense. Allen has improved dramatically since this time last year and he will be a key factor in the Canucks' post-season success, even if he is only seen as a #5 guy right now. He's a main cog on the PK and basically the Canucks only crease clearing, stay-at-home defenseman. Unless the Canucks get a similar player in return, Allen won't be dealt.
I dont think Allen has ''dramatically'' improved since last year. If anything his play since christmas has been lacking. He's now a minus player playing alongside the rock solid Sami Salo every night. Sure, it's pretty much his rookie season, but Canuck fans are making it out that Allen is a key component of the club. If I had to trade 2 Brian Allen's to get my hands on O'Neill I would do it.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:41 PM
bleedgreen

if you've got 2 of em....we'll take em.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
I dont Allen has ''dramatically'' improved since last year. If anything his play since christmas has been lacking. He's now a minus player playing alongside the rock solid Sami Salo every night. Sure, it's pretty much his rookie season, but Canuck fans are making it out that Allen is a key component of the club. If I had to trade 2 Brian Allen's to get my hands on O'Neill I would do it.
He rarely makes mistakes defensively and plays a lot on the PK, one of the best in the league. He's also probably the Canucks' toughest d-man, most physical, and best crease clearer. Teams love to have these guys and the Canucks have lacked a guy like this for a looong time(Baron had qualities but wasn't capable of top 4 minutes). In any case, I doubt Burke trades Allen for anything short of an overpayment.

Old
02-13-2004, 06:42 PM
DARKSIDE

Trade with the Devils:

Gomez, Martin and Berglund for Brindy, O'Neil & Boughner. You might not like the deal has a Canes fan, but I'm not sure we could take on all that extra salary. But, it's all in good fun!

Old
02-13-2004, 09:19 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Trade with the Devils:

Gomez, Martin and Berglund for Brindy, O'Neil & Boughner. You might not like the deal has a Canes fan, but I'm not sure we could take on all that extra salary. But, it's all in good fun!
i like martin, and think gomez will improve anywhere else he is playing so i think its not a bad offer. i would prefer one of the devils better prospects for all we're giving up-but maybe adding oneill to a brindy deal would be the only way to get someone to take all of brindys salary. i agree that lou isnt likely to pay all that salary- i would think freisen would be involved somehow just because of his price tag. maybe friesen, martin and a top 5 devil prospect for the same canes?

Old
02-14-2004, 09:14 AM
DARKSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i like martin, and think gomez will improve anywhere else he is playing so i think its not a bad offer. i would prefer one of the devils better prospects for all we're giving up-but maybe adding oneill to a brindy deal would be the only way to get someone to take all of brindys salary. i agree that lou isnt likely to pay all that salary- i would think freisen would be involved somehow just because of his price tag. maybe friesen, martin and a top 5 devil prospect for the same canes?
The only problem, besides Brindy's salary is we'd be just adding O'Neil for Frisen, we need a extra winger for the top 3 lines. Elias - Brindy - O'Neil: Turner - Brylin - Frisen: Pando - Madden - Langenbrunner. But knowing Lamoerillo, he'll wait for the deadline and do someting unexpected. That's his MO. Thanks!

Old
02-29-2004, 02:59 AM
bleedgreen

last night there was quite a buzz after jr and bob gainey met at the game for meeting where jr apparently said the meeting went "very good". then they spewed some crap rumuor about zednik for hill and oneill(insert puke smilie here). i feel this rumour is ridiculous but not the notion of the habs going after oneill. i think they areone of the few probable playoff teams that can make splash this deadline - and havent done it yet. i dont think its unreasonable for zednik to be coming back, i just assume there would be a youngster in there somewhere. if there is any truth to this i would hope chris higgins would be a player they target to come back, ive heard nothing but positive things about that guy, and he would make an excellent future no 2 center behind staal. also floating around somewhere in one of the many threadds that popped out of this rumour was a poster who said that sometime yesterday hill was quoted as saying he would reconsider his stance on not being traded. this, of course is completely unsubstantiated and has no link attached - but i would love to think this is true. hes a ufa...and playing his best hockey ive ever seen him play. i would hate to see the canes unable to capitilize on this, because he refuses to be traded. i respect rutherford for being considerate to his players, but we could really use assets back for him. anyway, musings late on a saturday night.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:21 AM
#44_delivers

i'd really hate to give up higgins he's one of the smartest prospects around, just an excellent over all player, im sure he's going to crack the habs lineup next season and since he's a very "gainey type" player i dont think he'd give him up, but if he does you guyz would get an extreamly solid return in him.

as for that zednik / o'niell rumor i know it seems heavily lopsided but zednik is a fine young player just like o'niell is, he's also a fan faivoret and i dont see gainey moving our top scorer to get another scorer it makes no sence in a habs perspective, but for the hurricanes it would save you guyz a mil.. or 2. i dont think it will happen with zednik involved.
JR said he's looking for a "first year player" on rds also i heard hills comments on rds as well after the game, and im sure he'd love to come back to his first city where he won the cup in '93.

if he's looking for a first year player ward is someone that comes to mind, after that it would all be prospects filling in i persume plekanec is extreamly solid and nhl ready(trust me he's a great player and awsome leader) plays phisical is tough and can score, but since most good prospects in montreal wont be givin a chance anytime soon, they could be used as bait since guyz like kats, perezhogin, higgins, and balej would be higher up then plekanec in org. prospect value its a quality bait.
of coarse there would be more going to your way probly a 1st and a 3rd as well since we have 2 3rd round and 4th round picks this year.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:07 PM
bleedgreen

i think he means first year player, as in first year pro player. that would mean to me someone who may be in the minors, as well as in the nhl. thats what made me think if higgins in the first place, and not of ward - hes been kicking around for a few years hasnt he? i could see ward being added somehow, but i think rutherfords target would be a bit higher. i just had a hunch its higgins he would be after, he fits the profile of a canes prospect more than the european ones habs fans are offering. i have nothing factual to base my opinion on, its just a guess. the canes are not known for their scouting of europeans in my opinion, but have drafted a number of college players - as well as a few ivy league ties in management. i assume its a matter of time before someone comes on here offering hainsey and hossa for oneill and hill. i dont like that one at all.

Closed Thread