HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

All Preds\hamilton Talk\argument\debate Goes Here

Old
06-09-2007, 03:14 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
There's some speculation as to the political motive behind Rodier\Balsillie's comments. They might not be at face value.

I wonder what he would do if Leipold took him up on the offer and authorized Poile to spend whatever.
I appreciate the sentiment and possibilities. It may fall somewhere in between. Even if it is just to do due diligence and intent as regards the NHL BOG, it may provide a window of opportunity for the fans and business community to step up and preclude the move.

I also would suspect that it would be strongly in Basillie's best interest to field a competitive team rather than tear it down and try to rebuild. Rebuilding is full of pitfalls such that even if he got a move, he might be faced with a unappreciative new fanbase for a non-competitive team.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:17 PM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
People often think that. HE didn't invent anything. He is not a tech guy. He's an MBA who was a friend of Mike Lazardus (sp), who was/is the tech guy.

Balsillie did nothing of particular note before hooking up with Lazardus. Balsillie's success is completely an accident of "Right place, right time".
I think his buisness skills have a little to do with it too.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Bleifooss

BOG won't approve sale of Preds?

On the FAN590 out of Toronto was a discussion with Stephen Brunt and Bob McGown today, suggesting that the board of governors might not approve the sale of the Preds to Balsillie, because they don't want him to move the team outside the territory of Leafs and Sabres in K-W in southern Ontario. They also don't like that apparently he had this commission look into the NHL constitution about teams territory rights. On the same breath they also said that Leipold should sue the NHL the minute the board of governors don't approve his sweetheart deal with Balsillie.

http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/audi...2007-06-11.mp3

Bleifooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

This is actually a fear of mine. I'd rather they sell it to the snaky guy with no arena and the desire to move the team to a place the NHL doesn't want to go...than say...AEG in KC. If THEY get the team, they HAVE the arena, an owership GROUP and the league would have no problem moving there. This could be bad news.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
This is actually a fear of mine. I'd rather they sell it to the snaky guy with no arena and the desire to move the team to a place the NHL doesn't want to go...than say...AEG in KC. If THEY get the team, they HAVE the arena, an owership GROUP and the league would have no problem moving there. This could be bad news.
Agreed, worst nightmare scenario. Rather take our chances with Balsillie, an outsider to the NHL owners and the BOG, than the AEG group led by Aucheswitz who is already a part-owner of the Sharks and would undoubtedly have an easier time getting approval for transfer of ownership and potentially a move.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Agreed, worst nightmare scenario. Rather take our chances with Balsillie, an outsider to the NHL owners and the BOG, than the AEG group led by Aucheswitz who is already a part-owner of the Sharks and would undoubtedly have an easier time getting approval for transfer of ownership and potentially a move.
Its Anschutz and he owns the Kings. Also since he owns the Kings I thought he wouldnt be allowed to have ownership of any other team in the league?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Its Anschutz and he owns the Kings. Also since he owns the Kings I thought he wouldnt be allowed to have ownership of any other team in the league?
Yes, sorry...it is the Kings. I believe it would be a similar scenario to John Henry's purchase of the Red Sox while having ownership in another franchise (Florida?) or Norm Green's purchase of the North Stars from the Gund's who sold Minnesota to get control of the expansion franchise in San Jose.

It can happen and I'm sure there would be bidders for the Kings if they ever went on sale. The Predators on the other hand unfortunately do not have local bidders stepping up to the plate and it would be a stretch to imagine that woiuld change if the deal with Balsillie fell through (although I would hope this would wake up the local people that have the money to become potential investors).

Old
06-12-2007, 06:31 AM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I appreciate the sentiment and possibilities. It may fall somewhere in between. Even if it is just to do due diligence and intent as regards the NHL BOG, it may provide a window of opportunity for the fans and business community to step up and preclude the move.

I also would suspect that it would be strongly in Basillie's best interest to field a competitive team rather than tear it down and try to rebuild. Rebuilding is full of pitfalls such that even if he got a move, he might be faced with a unappreciative new fanbase for a non-competitive team.
I doubt Balsillie is counting on the attention clause on his lease as his only way of getting out of Nashville. The "laws of the land" superseed any bylaw that the NHL and/or BOG have, I'm sure Balsillie would try to bully his way out of Nashville if he is blocked. While I don't know (just like the rest of us on here) what legal footing he would have, clearly his lawyers think there is so, and other leagues have been unable to enforce their bylaws when taken to court.

As for the rebuilding thing, he wouldn't have too. If he let all the UFA's go, he would still have a very solid core of young players. If/when he moves the Predators to Southern Ontario there will be a very appreciative fan base waiting for him.

sluggo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 07:48 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
But it could all be political BS from the BOG. They want reassurance from him (assuming he's as quiet in private conversations as he is in the public) that he will 1) keep the team here or 2) at least TRY and make it work here so they threaten him with "well, we just won't LET you buy the team then. How do you like them apples, Sonny Jim?"

Or they could just be whiny babies... "Waaaahh!! He looked at our papers before he was even allowed to... WAAAHHH!!"

Which of course sounds more like billionaire team owners than the first scenario.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Wouldn't read to much into this, All of Bob McCowan's other hockey insider guest already consider the Balsillie to be the owner of the team

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yes, sorry...it is the Kings. I believe it would be a similar scenario to John Henry's purchase of the Red Sox while having ownership in another franchise (Florida?) or Norm Green's purchase of the North Stars from the Gund's who sold Minnesota to get control of the expansion franchise in San Jose.

It can happen and I'm sure there would be bidders for the Kings if they ever went on sale. The Predators on the other hand unfortunately do not have local bidders stepping up to the plate and it would be a stretch to imagine that woiuld change if the deal with Balsillie fell through (although I would hope this would wake up the local people that have the money to become potential investors).
Im sure there would be bidders but Im talking from the standpoint of having ownership in 2 teams at the same time. Thought that was against the by laws of the league?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Im sure there would be bidders but Im talking from the standpoint of having ownership in 2 teams at the same time. Thought that was against the by laws of the league?
Correct, in order to purchase any stake in another NHL franchise he would have to absolve himself of all ownership in the Kings.

Old
06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
handtrick

The NHL has received Basillie's application to buy the Preds as of last night.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/70612025

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

If Balsillie is not approved, your new owner could be William "Boots" Del Biaggio III, a part owner of the Sharks, that is believed to have been the losing bidder for the Predators. He would have to sell his ownership in the Sharks if he hasn't already in order to purchase the team. He has a deal with AEG to operate an NHL franchise in Kansas City's new arena. AEG owns the Kings and operates the new arena in KC.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/ka...l?surround=lfn

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanek-26 View Post
I doubt Balsillie is counting on the attention clause on his lease as his only way of getting out of Nashville. The "laws of the land" superseed any bylaw that the NHL and/or BOG have, I'm sure Balsillie would try to bully his way out of Nashville if he is blocked. While I don't know (just like the rest of us on here) what legal footing he would have, clearly his lawyers think there is so, and other leagues have been unable to enforce their bylaws when taken to court.

As for the rebuilding thing, he wouldn't have too. If he let all the UFA's go, he would still have a very solid core of young players. If/when he moves the Predators to Southern Ontario there will be a very appreciative fan base waiting for him.
because we don't have an appreciative fan base here ???

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

If that's what you're expecting\hoping("Uncle Jim will make this happen, even if those pesky Nashville people keep the lease intact, he won't let us down!") you're going to be very, very disappointed. There's not a league in the world that would allow him to make a move that would affect division alignments, scheduling, and not to mention a team that would territorially step on the toes of two other major franchises, including perhaps the most major of them all. There is no precedent for "law of the land" allowing a team to unilaterally strongarm a league into giving it what it wanted. Let's put it this way: if Balsillie tried to brute-force his way into moving the team and breaking the lease in Nashville, without league approval(which he won't get as long as there is a lease), then his new team would likely be blacklisted and find itself looking for a league to play in. If it looks like he's not going to be able to move, Balsillie could and will still back out, and we'll start biting our nails over being the KC Predators.

Old
06-12-2007, 01:26 PM
GLM

from the bs that was going in PGH i can lend a hand. if ballsilly is rejected by the BOG, the sale most likely would be to boots del baggio as the previous poster mentioned. the owner of the kings Aucheswitz would be allowed to own the arena and collect money generated from the arena. boots del baggio would be the owner of the team that plays in KC. if its the preds (id rather it not be) or an expansion team.

a few months ago this was our (pens fans) fear as well.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
because we don't have an appreciative fan base here ???
No, I was responding to the comment that there might not be a fan base waiting in Southern Ontario.

Quote:
There's not a league in the world that would allow him to make a move that would affect division alignments, scheduling, and not to mention a team that would territorially step on the toes of two other major franchises, including perhaps the most major of them all
Legal precedent says otherwise.

Quote:
There is no precedent for "law of the land" allowing a team to unilaterally strongarm a league into giving it what it wanted
Its happened in the NFL. If there wasn't precedent (ie - no leg to stand on in a court of law) he wouldn't be buying the team.

Old
06-12-2007, 02:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
No, I was responding to the comment that there might not be a fan base waiting in Southern Ontario.

Legal precedent says otherwise.

Its happened in the NFL. If there wasn't precedent (ie - no leg to stand on in a court of law) he wouldn't be buying the team.
If you're comparing the Al Davis\Raiders situation to this one, it's apples and oranges, and you're not familiar with that case...and furthermore, it SET the precedent in a way that no league would ever allow even a loophole that would permit it again. I know you're hopeful of having a team near you, but you're reaching at this point. I made the point that Balsillie can't FORCE the league to re-align and schedule games against his newly located(by brute force and illegal\immoral tactics) franchise.

Old
06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
People often think that. HE didn't invent anything. He is not a tech guy. He's an MBA who was a friend of Mike Lazardus (sp), who was/is the tech guy.

Balsillie did nothing of particular note before hooking up with Lazardus. Balsillie's success is completely an accident of "Right place, right time".
Balsille is Jobs to Apple's Wozniak.

You make it seem like being the CEO of a startup is easy beans. Let's not forget the risk of failure, not being paid, etc etc.

Have YOU ever worked for a startup?

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Nashville108*

so its KC or ontario for the Preds? Please a local owner or owner group buy our team

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 04:28 PM
hockeydadx2*

It makes NO sense to move an established team to KC when they would be thrilled to pay a big dollar expansion fee and take a brand new team, and there is no guarantee that they'd draw any better than Nashville. Plus, the arena revenue flows aren't that great there, anyhow, as we in Pittsburgh were educated about them ad nauseum. The suites are sold right NOW, but the hockey history there is no more solid than it was in Nashville when the team first got there.

Makes no sense at all. Ontario, on some level, makes sense, but not KC.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Balsille is Jobs to Apple's Wozniak.

You make it seem like being the CEO of a startup is easy beans. Let's not forget the risk of failure, not being paid, etc etc.

Have YOU ever worked for a startup?
I don't think GSC was disputing the risk of being a venture capitalist, he was just disputing the claim that, "Balsillie invented the Blackberry, he can figure out a way to get what he wants."

Old
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
If you're comparing the Al Davis\Raiders situation to this one, it's apples and oranges, and you're not familiar with that case...and furthermore, it SET the precedent in a way that no league would ever allow even a loophole that would permit it again. I know you're hopeful of having a team near you, but you're reaching at this point. I made the point that Balsillie can't FORCE the league to re-align and schedule games against his newly located(by brute force and illegal\immoral tactics) franchise.
Its not that leagues can't permit it again, they don't have a choice, if they are taken to court the precident is set, its there. The NHL's and/or BoG's bylaws lose in a legal battle.

And if they refuse to schedule games for the team he bought from them, with the understanding it was an NHL team, hello anti-trust suit. That also really doesn't make the NHL seem like a very owner friendly league does it? Is that the image Bettman wants out there?

I know you're a Nashville fan, but odds are that team is moving. Balsillie has a goal in a mind, he's not an idiot and has explored his options BEFORE buying the team, clearly he has some. I seriously doubt they start and finish on 14,000 fans going to his team's games (because that IS a factor and way out I would also assume some, if not all, the UFA's will be let go and ticket prices will go up).

Old
06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Its not that leagues can't permit it again, they don't have a choice, if they are taken to court the precident is set, its there. The NHL's and/or BoG's bylaws lose in a legal battle.

And if they refuse to schedule games for the team he bought from them, with the understanding it was an NHL team, hello anti-trust suit. That also really doesn't make the NHL seem like a very owner friendly league does it? Is that the image Bettman wants out there?

I know you're a Nashville fan, but odds are that team is moving. Balsillie has a goal in a mind, he's not an idiot and has explored his options BEFORE buying the team, clearly he has some. I seriously doubt they start and finish on 14,000 fans going to his team's games (because that IS a factor and way out I would also assume some, if not all, the UFA's will be let go and ticket prices will go up).
If Nashville has a lease(and all it has to do to ensure that it does, for the foreseeable future is average 14K fans next season, not out of the realm of possibility) then how is all of this outside-the-NHL legality still on Balsillie's side? You're, in the same breath, saying that he doesn't have to obey the NHL's inherent laws...because they aren't the LEGAL laws, which you feel supersede them. But what do you think a binding lease is? You're comforting yourself with this "Balsillie KNOWS he can do this, no matter what, or he wouldn't buy the team," but I think there's more roadblocks than you're acknowledging. The NHL is a private entity, and anyone and anything that operates within it IS confined to any governing bodies therein.

By your logic, HF could be sued for free speech violation for moderating posts and banning users.