Old
06-13-2007, 01:37 AM
bleuer

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
Ducks set sales record during Game 5

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210610&hubname=nhl

Quote:
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Ducks fans set an NHL record by spending an average of US$24.70 on team merchandise during Anaheim's Stanley Cup-clinching Game 5 victory.

That was up $7.70 - 45 per cent - over the previous record of $17 set during Game 5 of the 2002 final between Detroit and Carolina. The Ducks took an early lead on the way to a 6-2 win Wednesday night, giving fans plenty of time to shop.

"This is another great example of the strength of our local economy and the impact of winning the Stanley Cup," said Ducks executive vice-president and chief operating officer Tim Ryan.

The Ducks also recently tweaked their look. A year ago, Anaheim dropped the word `Mighty' from its name and changed its logo and colours to a streamlined scheme of orange and black.

Merchandise sales at the team store inside Honda Center more than doubled this season, the team said.

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
That is pretty amazing!

It seems like we are so close to profitability. I certainly hope so. I hate to see our wonderful owners losing money every year.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 02:00 AM
psg

If that's counting non-Team Store sales, I contributed a whole lot more than $24.70. My credit card is burning.

psg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 03:01 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Ducks merchandise here in Vancouver is not only hard to find, but is also very expensive. I saw the Ducks jersey for $120+taxes here, I eventually got it when I went down to Cali for a much better price. I been looking for an Anaheim Ducks hat for so long with no success.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 03:37 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Meh, I'm sure detractors will just say that real fans wouldn't spend as much because they already own all the merchandise. But then real business people will say that's why "real fans" don't get real teams, the money's elsewhere.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Ducks__Halos

vCash: 249
Haha, yeah, that's what I was thinking. Everyone will say stuff like, "well, it's because Anaheim has so many bandwagon fans!"

They do have a lot but I don't think the Ducks have any more bandwagoners than other teams. I buy stuff every time I go to a game and I usually spend at least $20 buying pins, flags, and such.

Anyway, great achievement for the franchise.

Ducks__Halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Shows how crappy Anaheim fans are, the probably don't even watch the game they just shop during it .

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 12:06 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Nah, the Ducks do have way more bandwagoners than other teams. That's just So Cal. We're like this for all sports. Look at how popular USC football is now, it was almost a wasteland before. Now Matt Leinart's been rumored to be going out with just about every celebrity girl there is. But the key is, bandwagoners bring more money, and a small fraction will become hardcore fans. That's why our franchise (and the Kings) has huge money potential.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 01:11 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Who cares if we have a lot of bandwagoners. If they are buying tickets and buying merch than they are awesome in my book. The fact they buy so much merch tells me that they will be staying on the wagon a while and showing off which team they root for. More the merrier I say. Let's make this team consistently profitable and we'll stay consistently competitive.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote