HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitting the nail on the head!!!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-29-2004, 12:41 AM
  #1
BigPoppa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Hitting the nail on the head!!!!

how long do you suppose it will take for LP to figure out what everyone else has about this team. watching HNIC tonight they said it a few times, and they are right. The Blues right now are a one line team. As long as teams can shut down KT-demitra- mellanby they can beat the Blues.
We have Weight, but how hard is it to shut him down when he is basically on the ice by himself. Either get him a winger that can score, or move him up to play with KT and Demitra. If they are gonna accept the fact they dont have anything beyond one line, they might as well put out the 3 top forwards.


Osgood looked good tonight, the D were ok, the majority of the forwards sucked. Can anyone on this team hit the broad side of a barn or what?

BigPoppa is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:58 AM
  #2
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
The big problem right now is that Demitra is playing with zero passion and looks like a freakin' passenger right now. I haven't seen him this ineffective and timid since he came back after the Holzinger board a few seasons back. I hope he can pull his head from his ass pretty soon because for all the defending of Demitra I've done, I can't stomach this half-assed effort of his since returning from IR. If he's not 100%, let him sit and heal. If he's 100%, there's zero excuse for the way he's playing. He wanted to be paid like a star and now his team needs him to be one. Time to put up or shut up if you ask me.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:04 AM
  #3
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
The big problem right now is that Demitra is playing with zero passion and looks like a freakin' passenger right now. I haven't seen him this ineffective and timid since he came back after the Holzinger board a few seasons back. I hope he can pull his head from his ass pretty soon because for all the defending of Demitra I've done, I can't stomach this half-assed effort of his since returning from IR. If he's not 100%, let him sit and heal. If he's 100%, there's zero excuse for the way he's playing. He wanted to be paid like a star and now his team needs him to be one. Time to put up or shut up if you ask me.
I am glad someone else said it I have been disapointed with him for a long stretch.

c-carp is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:05 AM
  #4
jeff962b
Respect Demitra
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Springfield, Missour
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jeff962b
I agree with a lot of what you said. But in his defense, he is playing with only 1 other winger, because Mellanby is nothing shy of a pylon this season.

jeff962b is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:29 AM
  #5
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff962b
I agree with a lot of what you said. But in his defense, he is playing with only 1 other winger, because Mellanby is nothing shy of a pylon this season.
At this particular time, I'm tired of defending Demitra. I've stood by Demitra for quite awhile now, but his effort tonight, in a big game, was just atrocious. I know the Blues have players that are being overpaid, but those players are at least putting in an honest night's effort most nights (referring to Weight, Tkachuk, and Pronger). Demitra has not had a good year and now that he's finally being paid like he deserved to be paid from past years, it just irritates me that he gets his payday and struggles worse than he has in years. Mellanby has deteriorated, but Tkachuk hasn't. I'd say Tkachuk has impressed me more this year than in years past because he's done a lot more with less, especially with Demitra's play.

Tonight was just such a disappointing loss as it is that it annoys me that much more to know that Demitra disappeared in a big rivalry game. And my disgust had been building well before the botched penalty shot too, just for the record.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:34 AM
  #6
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff962b
I agree with a lot of what you said. But in his defense, he is playing with only 1 other winger, because Mellanby is nothing shy of a pylon this season.

Like i said so many times before. Mellanby should probably retire after this season. He has lost it. IT is painfully sad, to see someone who plays so hard. And loves the game so much, not be able to do it anymore. You can tell he is still giving it his all. But it just isnt getting anywhere. He looks like he is skating in mud, and he has troubles with the puck anymore. He is too expensive for the 4th line, and he isnt fast enough for a 3rd line defensive role. He is still good enough for a garbage goal every once in a while. But whenever he is in controll of the puck, it usually results in a turnover. Weight needs wingers, and walt and demitra need someone to complement their talent. So i would say we are in the hole 3 wingers. And that hurts. Once the first line is shutdown, we are dead in the water. IF weight had some wingers, we may get by with mellanby on the first. But i Believe every team knows the weakness on our 1-line team.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:41 AM
  #7
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
At this particular time, I'm tired of defending Demitra. I've stood by Demitra for quite awhile now, but his effort tonight, in a big game, was just atrocious. I know the Blues have players that are being overpaid, but those players are at least putting in an honest night's effort most nights (referring to Weight, Tkachuk, and Pronger). Demitra has not had a good year and now that he's finally being paid like he deserved to be paid from past years, it just irritates me that he gets his payday and struggles worse than he has in years. Mellanby has deteriorated, but Tkachuk hasn't. I'd say Tkachuk has impressed me more this year than in years past because he's done a lot more with less, especially with Demitra's play.

Tonight was just such a disappointing loss as it is that it annoys me that much more to know that Demitra disappeared in a big rivalry game. And my disgust had been building well before the botched penalty shot too, just for the record.
I disagree. Demitra had some good opportunities in this game. At least as good of plays as the majority of the rest of the team. And if you disagree with that, there were some other players with better opportunities that didnt capitalize(tkachuk). And Demitra is leading this team in points against the canucks this season with 2g and 2a in 5 games. And that penalty shot was just a heck of a save. So if you want to complain about players not showing up against rivals point the finger somewhere else.
Im starting to think some people just have it in for Demitra.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 03:08 AM
  #8
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I disagree. Demitra had some good opportunities in this game. At least as good of plays as the majority of the rest of the team. And if you disagree with that, there were some other players with better opportunities that didnt capitalize(tkachuk). And Demitra is leading this team in points against the canucks this season with 2g and 2a in 5 games. And that penalty shot was just a heck of a save. So if you want to complain about players not showing up against rivals point the finger somewhere else.
Im starting to think some people just have it in for Demitra.
I'm sure you can provide ample evidence of Demitra's opportunities then. Because I remember a lot of Demitra losing the puck along the boards, some half-assed stick checks to try and slow down the player that just took the puck from him, and a shot into a defenseman's shin pads; in other words, looking like warm poo. Unlike Demitra, Tkachuk was working all night and his opportunity that you're likely referring to was a rolling puck that went off of Hedberg's mask. Demitra created nothing tonight, was invisible, and was easily pushed to the outside all night. I don't care that Demitra's the leading scorer against Vancouver either; that's just a meaningless stat. The Blues need points and Demitra didn't carry the load tonight nor has he since coming off IR.

I have it in for Demitra? I've defended Demitra all offseason and most of this season (when I've had the time) and now I'm just caving in to popular opinion? What a ridiculous statement.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 03:18 AM
  #9
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
You cant get points without the points. And Demitra was only outshot by Pronger tonight. And demitra stole the puck which turned into a nice opportunity on a poke check in the first. Demitra was going hard into the corners tonight also. Im just not seeing a the lack of effort. Rolling puck or not Tkachuk had a wide open net. You really cant point the finger at anyone in particular tonight. Because the blues werent outplayed. Sorry if i claimed you had it out for him. But im sick of the finger pointing , because our star players on this team arent the problem. Its our scoring depth.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 12:11 PM
  #10
jedicujo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
...But im sick of the finger pointing , because our star players on this team arent the problem. Its our scoring depth.
My thoughts exactly. It's so easy to make Demitra a scapegoat because of what we expect; and as BigPoppa said, other teams can freely devote their best defenders to the A-line and not worry about getting burned by Doug Weight and his crew of second-rate forwards.

Depth makes your best players better.

jedicujo is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 05:13 PM
  #11
Laperriere22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedicujo
My thoughts exactly. It's so easy to make Demitra a scapegoat because of what we expect; and as BigPoppa said, other teams can freely devote their best defenders to the A-line and not worry about getting burned by Doug Weight and his crew of second-rate forwards.

Depth makes your best players better.
Scapegoat? I watched the rest of the team go to the high traffic areas all game. Demitra, granted he's never been a physical presence anyway, would occasionally go in there. He was playing another timid game and that seems to symbolize his most recent games back from the injury. Tkachuk was in the middle of crap all night as was Pronger as was Weight. If Demitra is going to avoid the physical nature of the game, he's going to have to be much more aggressive in the other aspects of the game.

Again, Tkachuk's production hasn't suffered much this year from seeing the best defenders; so, how is it that Demitra is the main one suffering from this problem, a problem that he's been dealing with for years now anyway? He's playing way too passive to succeed at this level and I know this because I've seen Demitra play many times better than he has recently. He's not creating much off the rush or from his forte, cycling the puck down low. He's got to be better than he has been because he's one of the top offensive players and has to play like he is one. I'd rather keep him, but he's got to start to playing at the level he can play at because right now, the Blues need him to step it up. And just for the sake of being argumentative, Cajanek will not be a capable second line center or a reasonable replacement for Demitra.

And Weinrich has not impressed me much. He's not a top four guy and has to be used as one on this team. That's not a fair situation for him or the team. I look forward to this year's deadline immensely to see which direction Pleau is going to take this team in.

Laperriere22* is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 05:15 PM
  #12
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 500
I'd like to see us quit taking shots from beyond the blueline and try taking shots with traffic in front of the net - all we're doing by firing it in from outside the blueline is warming up the opposing goalie.

I was really disappointed with Weight's play vs. Chicago - completely invisible. Better vs. Vancouver but not much. The team has to start taking quality shots instead of throwing prayers at the net.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.