HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Preds\hamilton Talk\argument\debate Goes Here

Old
06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Nashville108*

vCash: 500
hai guyz lets just liek move all the temz back to Canada lolz!

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
This is probably the only possible context that the following sentence makes sense:

Nashville has to be a better market than Kansas City.

Unfortunately, you could replace 'Kansas City' with virtually any other city and the above sentence no longer makes sense.

Obviously, someone was borderline ******** to put a franchise in Nashville in the first place but there is no reason to screw over the fans any more that they already will be by moving the team to a worse location. Kansas City just needs to realize that no one, in any sport, really likes them and they are never going to be the number one option for any major sports team as long as places like Vegas don't have any.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Pascal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210671&hubname=

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 01:33 PM
hockeydadx2*

That's crap, though. If I am stupid enough to pay you $100,000 for your 72 Pinto, does that make every single remaining Pinto out there also worth $100,000? Of course not.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofhearted View Post
I think it is just brutal to see some of the cheerleading, on a Preds board, to move the team... Obviously these are very interested, true fans of the team, on this board, and I can't imagine how infuriating it must be to have to read crap about not 'deserving' their team, etc.
We've had to deal with this for a very, very long time. There is a large group of posters on these boards who do nothing but dig up links to small town newspaper articles with inaccuracies, blog posts, etc. trying to make the NHL look as bad as possible. They post hit pieces on these boards attacking the fans, residents, etc. of markets they feel do not deserve teams.

Its quite sad really. My only hope is when the Predators do move that these people stop doing what they're doing, but its likely not going to happen. They'll simply move on to the next market to bash all day long.

These people don't really care about the sport of hockey. They want it to be 'their' game and not anyone elses. Yet they freely tout how good ratings and attendance are in their backyards. They compare markets who have had hockey for over 40 years to teams who have had hockey for less than 10.

Then when they can't bash attendance they try to bash everything else. Tickets prices. The food you eat at games. Your TV ratings.

Look at the last 3 Stanley Cup finals. All "non-traditional" markets vs Canadian markets. Each year we've seen articles from Canada bashing the non-traditional markets on ticket prices, them finding random people on the street who don't know their minor league players and how 'small' their Stanley Cup celebrations are.

This is a message board where someone posting a picture of a Stanley Cup celebration breaks out into a 10 page thread analyzing which markets have had the biggest celebrations.

The NHL gets little coverage in the USA. Especially with ESPN not having a TV deal, so they chose not to cover the sport to showcase their interests. But any coverage the sport does get is either the hit pieces from Bettman-hating Canadian writers, American NBA/NFL writers bashing the sport, or highlights of violence.

WHY IN THE WORLD would someone want to start watching this sport with all the crap going on. And anyone who does start to watch the sport gets crapped on.

Hockey fans whine about how bad the sport is, how its changed too much, how it has no future, yet complain about ratings and analyze attendance more than scorelines.

Tell me which other sports fans have to deal with this crap. I highly doubt MLB/NFL/NBA fans simply sit around all day and determine which cities 'deserve' the sport and add up tickets sold figures.

There will be one good thing about the Predators leaving, as I won't have to be constantly told that I know nothing about the sport, about how we have no one in Nashville who likes the game, how no new fans can be created, about how the sport hasn't grown and how our market can't compare with Toronto.

With these types of fans who 'follow' the sport, you almost hope the league fails.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I agree, move the Devils too!

still dont know how they'll maintain a new arena with like 12 fans and 8988 family members of devils players and staff attending reglar season games...

although the devils have astrong fan base, like you guys, but i never understood the low attendance in NJ (can somebody shed some light?)

btw if you guys move it would of been nice to see you in winnipeg or quebec...

i'm not to sure about hamilton...at the same time not completely against it

no matter what happens though...
for all you guys that supported your team...you guys were great fans

Side note...for those bashing canada getting more teams...
if 6 teams bring in 40% of revenue...what do you think 8+ would do..
lets see more revenue = more money to go around to other teams that are struggling in some cities with good fan base...

i'm not saying that Canada is saving the game here...just that we're as part of it as the states

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 02:45 PM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
That's crap, though. If I am stupid enough to pay you $100,000 for your 72 Pinto, does that make every single remaining Pinto out there also worth $100,000? Of course not.
That analogy doesn't work with hockey teams to tell you the truth.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
hai guyz lets just liek move all the temz back to Canada lolz!
Yeah cause 6 is way too many.

I want Nashville to stay put just as much as anybody but if you look at it, if not for Balsillie, you're team would move to KC anyway. The fact is the owner was sick of losing money and no local group stepped up to the plate. It sucks but it's not like the league wants another team up here.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think people are misunderstanding a point a lot of Pred fans are making.......its not that its bad to have more Canadian teams. Its bad that

1) Its OUR team that is in the discussion to be moved.

2) We have only had our team for 10 years, which included a lockout, a league whose revenues were completely out of skew until the last 2 years, and years of absolutely crappy hockey. How can sellouts be expected? The team and hockey is finally starting to catch on, we have a team that can win, and NOW its going to be ripped away from us? Come on......

3) Hamilton ........are you serious?

Last edited by Enoch: 06-13-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Robber Toe Lue Wongo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We've had to deal with this for a very, very long time. There is a large group of posters on these boards who do nothing but dig up links to small town newspaper articles with inaccuracies, blog posts, etc. trying to make the NHL look as bad as possible. They post hit pieces on these boards attacking the fans, residents, etc. of markets they feel do not deserve teams.

Its quite sad really. My only hope is when the Predators do move that these people stop doing what they're doing, but its likely not going to happen. They'll simply move on to the next market to bash all day long.

These people don't really care about the sport of hockey. They want it to be 'their' game and not anyone elses. Yet they freely tout how good ratings and attendance are in their backyards. They compare markets who have had hockey for over 40 years to teams who have had hockey for less than 10.

Then when they can't bash attendance they try to bash everything else. Tickets prices. The food you eat at games. Your TV ratings.

Look at the last 3 Stanley Cup finals. All "non-traditional" markets vs Canadian markets. Each year we've seen articles from Canada bashing the non-traditional markets on ticket prices, them finding random people on the street who don't know their minor league players and how 'small' their Stanley Cup celebrations are.

This is a message board where someone posting a picture of a Stanley Cup celebration breaks out into a 10 page thread analyzing which markets have had the biggest celebrations.

The NHL gets little coverage in the USA. Especially with ESPN not having a TV deal, so they chose not to cover the sport to showcase their interests. But any coverage the sport does get is either the hit pieces from Bettman-hating Canadian writers, American NBA/NFL writers bashing the sport, or highlights of violence.

WHY IN THE WORLD would someone want to start watching this sport with all the crap going on. And anyone who does start to watch the sport gets crapped on.

Hockey fans whine about how bad the sport is, how its changed too much, how it has no future, yet complain about ratings and analyze attendance more than scorelines.

Tell me which other sports fans have to deal with this crap. I highly doubt MLB/NFL/NBA fans simply sit around all day and determine which cities 'deserve' the sport and add up tickets sold figures.
There will be one good thing about the Predators leaving, as I won't have to be constantly told that I know nothing about the sport, about how we have no one in Nashville who likes the game, how no new fans can be created, about how the sport hasn't grown and how our market can't compare with Toronto.

With these types of fans who 'follow' the sport, you almost hope the league fails.

MLB - Montreal Expos
NBA - Vancouver Grizzlies

All the same BS different sports.

Robber Toe Lue Wongo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
handtrick

Good post Stranger.

Let's call a spade a spade here. It is a Canadian thing, it is not a European thing, and rarely is it an American Original Six thing.

I feel I can say this, because one of my best friends is Canadian, and we have had many discussions of this topic over cigars and alcohol of one form or another.

You can almost liken it to two brothers....

One is good looking, popular, and athletic....he gets all the attention from teachers, classmates, and especially women.
He comes off as very arrogant and aggressive because he "has it all" and everything comes so easy for him. Often he comes off as heavy-handed in trying to get his way. He has all the power to influence people because he has money, looks, and a large penis.

The other brother is less popular, less athletic, and less good looking, but has good qualities as well. He is much more tolerant of others. He is overshadowed in almost everything by his brother.....athletics, popularity, money, and power. He has gotten used to playing second fiddle to his brother in almost everything, but there is one thing that he is good at, and he considers it "his realm" where he sees his identity. He also has a latent inferiority complex because he has a small penis and has always been very self conscious about it.

As time goes on brother one decides that he wants to enter the realm that brother two has always claimed as his own and had his identity. This new realm is somewhat awkward for brother two, but he is athletic and strong and begins to excel at it, but there is still a significant gap between the two brothers, because brother two has done it his whole life and it is a part of his being. The rapid improvement of brother one in this realm worries brother two, and he feels like brother one is horning in on the only thing that he feels good about himself inwhich he is actually better than brother one. Brother two is worried that this is just one more thing that his brother with all the natural tools, gifts, and opportunities is going to take away from him and claim as his own. He therefore tries to discourage and thwart brother one's efforts to master the given realm at every turn.....it all stems from jealousy and fear. Unfortunately he doesn't see that both brothers bring intangibles to the realm that may just take it to a new level.

A more pointed analogy is that brother two is so worried that brother one, who gets all the girls, is flirting with his steady girlfriend, and she might just run off to experience the shlong instead of just staying with the schmekel......

Not to say that these analogies apply to all Canadians, by any means.....but the ones that insist on claiming that a certain market doesn't "deserve" hockey and continually spew out elitist crap should look within themselves and ponder why that they insist on holding onto hockey so tightly and so protectively.

Last edited by handtrick: 06-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber Toe Lue Wongo View Post
MLB - Montreal Expos
NBA - Vancouver Grizzlies

All the same BS different sports.
I never saw the same stuff being spewed about those markets.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 04:47 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think people are misunderstanding a point a lot of Pred fans are making.......its not that its bad to have more Canadian teams. Its bad that

1) Its OUR team that is in the discussion to be moved.

2) We have only had our team for 10 years, which included a lockout, a league whose revenues were completey out of skew until the last 2 years, and years of absolutely crappy hockey. How can sellouts be expected? The team and hockey is finally started to catch on, we have a team that can win, and NOW its going to be ripped away from us? Come on......

3) Hamilton ........are you serious?
Agreed. Should be posted as the #2 post on every "move the preds" discussion here.

Im not one of the militant Preds fans that will never watch hockey again if they move. And you can call me anti-canadian all you want, but my first hockey jersey was a Calgary Flames jersey - man did I get some wierd looks walking around with that on in Louisiana.

But moving the Preds to Hamilton would be like moving the Toronto Blue Jays to Birmingham, Alabama.

Personally, I think hockey is just about to blow up big here, and if we can somehow get the NHL to have Ballsillie give Nashville a fair shake, we'll show that this is a viable market, albeit in its infancy.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Paincakes

Watching Rads grow up in another city, I think I am going to cry.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Sure, if the league wants to be mentioned in the same breath as camel racing, cricket, etc. Sure, theyre big somewhere, but not in the U.S. And like it or not, that's where the money is.
The money isn't there. The Predators are losing money and that's why they are for sale in the first place

Hamilton will make boatloads of cash. Sure, it won't grow the game in the States but it will be a cash-cow the likes that would never happen in Nashville.

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
KC? I can see it. Winnepeg or Quebec. Ok. Houston or Las Vegas - yep.

But Hamilton? LOL
Populations:
Winnipeg - 600,000
KC Metro Area - 1,900,000
Quebec City - 490,000
Las Vegas - 591,000
Hamilton - 504,000
Southern Ontario - 12,000,000

seems to me southern ontario has the largest and most dense population to work with, espeically in the GTA and surrounding cities. hamilton would draw from a broad spectrum and would easily do better than any of the other cities you mentioned. laughing stock? how so? are people laughing at there being 3 teams in the NY/NJ area? well maybe at Wangs management but thats a different story....

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 05:57 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

^ Some of those numbers are not very accurate.

I don't see why Hamilton is considered such a poor destination. I suspect it is because some of you have never heard of the city. The fact is, though, it's a city of over 700,000 and is located in the most populous region of Canada, just outside of Metro Toronto. It's not much different really than putting a team in New Jersey, Anaheim or San Jose IMO. Also, the team could be branded the "Ontario XYZ" rather than the "Hamilton XYZ" if the name recognition of the city is an issue in the USA.

Having said that, I believe Balsillie agressive moves may lead the BOG to reject the sale or Balsillie may drop out again if the NHL doesn't pre-approve relocation.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 06:37 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavutych View Post
Populations:
Winnipeg - 600,000
KC Metro Area - 1,900,000
Quebec City - 490,000
Las Vegas - 591,000
Hamilton - 504,000
Southern Ontario - 12,000,000

seems to me southern ontario has the largest and most dense population to work with, espeically in the GTA and surrounding cities. hamilton would draw from a broad spectrum and would easily do better than any of the other cities you mentioned. laughing stock? how so? are people laughing at there being 3 teams in the NY/NJ area? well maybe at Wangs management but thats a different story....
I don't know where you got your numbers but Quebec city population is 700 000.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
kurri_17

Quote:
Hamilton?

KC? I can see it. Winnepeg or Quebec. Ok. Houston or Las Vegas - yep.

But Hamilton? LOL, the NHL can kiss goodbye its dream of ever re-emerging itself from laughingstock status, along with the WNBA and Arena Football and Poker.

Thats like the NFL expanding to Huntsville, Alabama.
You wait and see tomorrow when they pre-sell out copps coliseum in one or two days. :-)

kurri_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Of course they are going to sell out.......they would be getting the no. 3 team in the NHL with a top 10 farm system, along with plenty of cap room.

How is Balsille able to do this? He doesn't even own the team, and the Predators may be under lease for several more years if they average 14185 in paid attendance.......He is trying to scare the entire city out of supporting the team.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I never saw the same stuff being spewed about those markets.
Washington fans want to remove and ignore all franchise records and players with ties to the Expos as "they weren't a real market anyway".

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
kurri_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Of course they are going to sell out.......they would be getting the no. 3 team in the NHL with a top 10 farm system, along with plenty of cap room.

How is Balsille able to do this? He doesn't even own the team, and the Predators may be under lease for several more years if they average 14185 in paid attendance.......He is trying to scare the entire city out of supporting the team.
This region doesn't need the number 3 team to sell out..

And I think he is trying to force the NHL into accepting that Hamilton is a good market - I'm from Kitchener and I already have 9 guys on board to buy tickets for a possible Hamilton team with me (at 9x 500 each per ticket deposit)

There is a competition bureau challenge in Canada right now over the league's 50 mile exclusion zone -- I think this Hamilton ticket thing might be as much for that as anything else. Ie.. if they can sell out in Hamilton in two days, is it non competitive to not allow a team to go there? - might be part of that challenge, as well as to convince the NHL

kurri_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
handtrick

The balls on this Ballsillie guy........

Sources say the prospective new owner of the Nashville Predators intends to do so by soliciting season tickets deposits for seats and suites at Copps Coliseum.

A season ticket campaign is expected to commence Thursday with all deposits fully refundable. Purchasers will put their money down with no promises in terms of when, or if, an NHL team will eventually call Hamilton home.

Sources say the price range for deposits is: $500 for upper bowl seats; $1,000 for lower bowl seats; and $5,000 for suites.

Balsillie's purchase of the Predators has yet to be approved by the NHL.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210730&hubname=

If I am a BOG....I am really thinking twice about letting this guy in the club....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Sources say the prospective new owner of the Nashville Predators intends to do so by soliciting season tickets deposits for seats and suites at Copps Coliseum.

A season ticket campaign is expected to commence Thursday with all deposits fully refundable. Purchasers will put their money down with no promises in terms of when, or if, an NHL team will eventually call Hamilton home.
I can't believe this Ballz idiot! What a joke...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
predfan24

The balls of this guy to do this before he even offically owns the team. Unfreakingbelievable. Is he purposely trying to piss the BOG off?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote