HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Paul Kariya

Old
06-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think Andrew Ladd is going to step into our Scott Walker role this season if things go his way on the injury front. Not saying "replace", but he can provide some of the same elements as Walker if he's able to play a full season the way he started to play towards the end of last year and it will go a long way towards filling any void that Walker leaving may provide. Erik Cole having a full off season to rest should also do wonders for his game.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:45 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Ladd stepping into Walker's role? I just don't see Ladd standing up for teammates like Walker would and I'm sure he can't replace a guy like that in the locker room.

I'm really shocked you guys are enamored with Kariya. I'm not enamored with the idea because this idea isn't cheap.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 07:23 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Ladd stepping into Walker's role? I just don't see Ladd standing up for teammates like Walker would and I'm sure he can't replace a guy like that in the locker room.
Walker had 3 fights in 81 games, Ladd had 2 in 65.

We have enough old veterans, geez give the kid a chance. But I guess the Carolina Hurricanes way is to keep signing and re-signing old UFAs until they are 40 years old. There's no possible way Andrew Ladd could be as good as future HOFer Scott Walker!

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:03 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
A cheap option to fix a winger spot and the third center position:

W: Kyle Calder
C: Mike York

Calder - Staal - Cole
Whitney - Brind'Amour - Williams
Ladd - York - Stillman
Adams - Letowski - LaRose

Both had down seasons but are skilled and fast players. Responsible in their own zone too.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:14 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
I just don't see how we can lose a gritty guy like Scott Walker who can chip in on the both ends and end with up an old offense first, non-physical winger. We need to keep the pucks out of the net as much as we can, and I don't think Kariya would help much doing that.
Kariya is a year younger than Walker and the offense he would add would offset any defensive deficiencies. Whereas, if we re-signed Walker, we would still need to look to address the defense in free agency.

Assets - Has blinding speed, soft hands, tremendous hand/eye coordination, intelligence and awareness on the ice that is second to none. Is also willing to shoot the puck from anywhere.

Kariya seems like the perfect player for the Hurricanes' style of hockey. You have to like the fact that he'll shoot the puck from anywhere, as it seemed that no one on this team wanted to shoot the puck last year.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5: 06-14-2007 at 08:19 AM.
JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 09:03 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
At least it seems like JR is going after the right kind of players this year instead of trying to find another Cullen by signing guys like Letowski and Isbister.

06-14-2007, 09:45 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I think he realizes he needs to make the playoffs to make money.

Old
06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanabe View Post
Walker had 3 fights in 81 games, Ladd had 2 in 65.

We have enough old veterans, geez give the kid a chance. But I guess the Carolina Hurricanes way is to keep signing and re-signing old UFAs until they are 40 years old. There's no possible way Andrew Ladd could be as good as future HOFer Scott Walker!
I'm not talking about fights. Other stuff shows up in a way a guy plays. For the record, I didn't say I absolutely wanted Scott Walker back. He's replaceable. I just think Ladd should be the one focusing on taking his place. When it's all said and done, Ladd > Walker....maybe just not right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Kariya seems like the perfect player for the Hurricanes' style of hockey.
That's my problem with it: it shouldn't be the Canes style. Kariya puts up point but it seems very transparent to me. I'd say I've watched more Preds games than Canes games this year and he just isn't the same guy. Soft as tissue paper and invisible even with those "lofty" stats everyone wants to mention. The guy used to be one of my favorite players but now he just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by HughJass*: 06-14-2007 at 11:04 AM.
HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
To me as good as Walker is, and as much as I like the guy on the 3rd line RW spot, he is replaceable. And I would like nothing more than to see Ladd step up and really come into his own this season, and show some of the traits that Walker brought last season. However, when you potentially have the opportunity to sign and bring in a guy such as Kariya, I don't think that is something that should be overlooked or passed up. Now, if these rumors are true, like Caniacgirl12 mentioned, atleast JR is going after the right calibre of players here instead of trying to find another "diamond in the rough" type guy. We can't afford another Belanger, it just can't happen. Whether it be someone such as Kariya, Peca, Hartnell etc, this team NEEDS someone to fill that 3rd line spot or someone who can be added to the top 9 forward group in some way, shape or form and MAKE IT RIGHT. And I am a firm believer that JR & Lavi know that, and are willing to go out, and potentially bring it that guy. They know they cannot afford another year of missing the playoffs. This team has what it takes to win another Stanley Cup, so let's hope that JR adds the right pieces to make this thing right, because it CAN be made right given the correct pieces to the puzzle.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
caniac247

As nice as it sounds to have Kariya it just won't happen. JR doesn't have the money. He's got about $4.8 million to sign a winger and a centerman. Say Hedican does retire then JR will have what $7.2 million to sign a winger, centerman, and defenseman. Kariya's pricetag will be too hefty for JR.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

That's why I believe that if Bret Hedican is here next season, Paul Kariya won't be. If Bret Hedican decides to call it quits, I think there's a major chance that Paul Kariya could be here next year. With Hedican's salary off the cap, we could afford to sign Kariya at about $4.5-5 million, sign a solid third-line center at about $1.5-$2 million, and re-sign David Tanabe at about $1 million.

Old
06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
bleedgreen

A) i doubt we can afford kariya. im not opposed to it, he would be a support player and not a guy who needs to carry everyone. his skill level as a playmaker along with his speed could make staal and cole a lot more effective. the negative would be whitney, stillman, AND kariya amongst our top forwards? i wouldnt mind so much if stillman got moved - im not saying he needs to go but he is most likely candidate to me if someone like kariya was brought in. i still dont think we can afford him, and i would think its definitely contingent on hedican. we would still need a third center and imo at least one guy who upgrades the d. how we do that without moving some salary, and still pick up kariya...i just dont know. i think its far fetched, unless something we dont know about is going on.

b) i think ladd is going to have to be walkers replacement whether we like it or not. i dont think we're keeping him, i think that money will go to the third center, and ladd will be his winger...unless he clicks with staal in preseason - and then he gets the top job. i dont know that he's ready, but this team needs more youth to step up and play key roles. i agree with the sentiment that we must stop counting on 30+ ufa's to play nearly all the big roles.

c) guys....im WAY more worried about the d than the forwards (though the forwards are always more fun to talk about). we need a third center and an upgrade on d. just because we have 8 doesnt mean we have good d. wes is too old to play a key role. hedican is question mark if he plays - he is at best a 3-4 guy. that leaves gleason, kaberle, wallin, and commodore all playing top roles they arent really all that suited to. im not saying it wont work, but we need a top3 guy at least to raise the skill level, and make a good pass out of the zone. instead of a group of 4-5 guys, how about a couple 2-3 guys who raise the average a bit? seids is an x factor to me. i think he has more to offer than he has shown. if he stepped up we wouldnt need two guys, maybe just one. hutch does nothing for me. lavi clearly has no faith in him, so why keep a guy the coach has no intention of playing? good for depth and nothing more.

d) not that we're talking about it, but im probably most worried about goaltending. grahame doesnt cut it for me, and you always need a plan b. you cant say wards the man and thats it.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:59 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I questioned Grahame's ability a few months ago on the official 'Canes message board. Of course, everyone there was enamored with his performance in the World Championships. I was the only person to point out that his best performances were against teams made up mostly of non-NHLers. When he faced teams that had NHL players on them, he struggled. If Ward were to ever miss an extended period of time, I have little faith in Grahame to step in and provide solid play. Curtis Joseph was a name I brought up. With Backstrom's new contract in Minnesota, Manny Fernandez becomes another possible option.

Old
06-14-2007, 04:58 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Yes, let's pay Manny Fernandez 4.5 million to be the backup with a small chance of him being the starter. There's a wise use of money.

Like it or not, Grahame and Cam is the combination next year and frankly, they could do a lot worse. If they don't have enough confidence in Cam to make him the unquestioned starter then they need to worry about making a bigger move than trading for Manny Fernandez and that includes moving Cam in the process. Not only would this be an incredibly stupid move, it won't happen.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 05:00 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I wouldn't trade for him, try and sign him after he's released. If Cam Ward is injured for the season and John Grahame is our #1, does it really matter who we have on offense or defense? Unless Grahame can learn how to hide glue on his pads and stop rebounds, he'll be a terrible goaltender.

Those were just two names I threw out there. There are cheaper options.

Last edited by JustJoe2k5: 06-14-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old
06-14-2007, 05:21 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
I wouldn't trade for him, try and sign him after he's released. If Cam Ward is injured for the season and John Grahame is our #1, does it really matter who we have on offense or defense? Unless Grahame can learn how to hide glue on his pads and stop rebounds, he'll be a terrible goaltender.

Those were just two names I threw out there. There are cheaper options.
i wouldnt want manny either, unless something drastic happened, but your track of thought is valid. if cam was hurt for the season we would be in the hunt for the no 1 pick in next years draft. jr would get hosed in some trade getting us a better goaltender. even with cam healthy we need a better team than last years just to make the playoffs.

Old
06-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
We don't need a better team, we need a better performance. I think that is paramount in the discussion. The team we had last year was BETTER than the team we had in 05-06 in many facets of the game, but what they lacked was the drive and confidence to be the best.

Cam Ward has no excuse to not improve on his performance this season. Last year was his first as a full time starter and you're bound to take some lumps. People writing him off or questioning his ability to get the job done need to rewatch the playoffs from the season before last. I know that has been said to death, but if you're not an NHL goaltender you can't string together 20 starts where you dominate the competition at this level. He's going to be fine.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:04 PM
bleedgreen

well the question is more, what if he gets hurt. i dont think any of us have given up on cam. i love the guy, i hope i have five kids just like him.

agreed on the performance of the team, but again - this years team wont be even last years team - let alone the one before that. i put it on staal as much as anyone. he has to step up and start being the guy we know he can be. 80pts a season is fine with me if he is a leader making his team better.

Old
06-14-2007, 06:58 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Like I said, Carolina is way better off than most teams in terms of "what if" goaltender injuries. I'd rather have Grahame than Sabourin or whoever's backing up Brodeur or players like that.

Old
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Like I said, Carolina is way better off than most teams in terms of "what if" goaltender injuries. I'd rather have Grahame than Sabourin or whoever's backing up Brodeur or players like that.
There's a reason you don't know who Brodeur's backup is and why Vancouver can afford to have a less-than-solid goaltender. New Jersey and Vancouver know what they have in their goaltenders, we still don't know what type of goaltender Cam Ward will be. I honestly think we should have signed a better goaltender last year and split the duties 50/50. We don't know if Ward is the type of player that can be counted on for 80%-85% of the games in a season. The late-season injury to his leg certainly didn't help matters either.

Old
06-14-2007, 08:40 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Brodeur and Luongo have just as much chance at a freak injury as Cam Ward. That was your argument, not that Cam may have a less than stellar season and may get benched. If they're worried about that, they might as well not even show up next season.

Old
06-14-2007, 08:58 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Not exactly. Brodeur and Luongo have shown they can be counted on to carry a #1 goaltender's load. Cam Ward hasn't and was probably pushed too early into that #1 role. If we think this is a team that can compete for a Stanley Cup, we need to take steps to address all of our weaknesses. To say that goaltending wasn't one of our weaknesses last year would be a lie.

Old
06-14-2007, 09:07 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I don't follow you. First you said the Canes should get another goalie because of a potential injury and now you're saying they should get one because Cam may not make it through the year due to poor performance?

The team is going to live and die by Cam this year and that is the right and only call. To bring in a backup at anything more than Grahame make is a very bad use of money.