HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who is playing for MODO next year?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2004, 09:15 PM
  #1
joe blow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Who is playing for MODO next year?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I would try here. Just wondering, what players have you heard are going to play in MODO next year if there is no NHL? I have heard Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kaberle, Jovanovski, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, both Sedins, etc. Are there any others who have been mentioned as going to Sweden to play hockey. Just imagine the lineup!

joe blow is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 09:26 PM
  #2
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 500
I think there's a limit on the # of non-EU-born players that can be on a team. If there was a lockout, Forsberg, Naslund, the Sedins, and Sundstrom are probably locks, maybe Weinhandl, Timander, or even Eriksson could be there, and they also have to play players still in their system. As for the other ones, it might depend on how much the team is will to pay.

guinness is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
  #3
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,316
vCash: 767
Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, Naslund, Bertuzzi have all been rumoredto play for MODO

Pinto is online now  
Old
02-29-2004, 12:13 AM
  #4
DarioinDenver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Even in a lockout year I do not believe NHL players can play in the SEL if they are under contract through that year. So Forsberg is eligable but Bertuzzi isn't. I'm not familiar with Naslunds contract. Furthermore it would violate exlution clauses in their contracts with out the consent of their NHL teams.

It's not as simple as just going over seas to play because the NHL is locked out. For Forsberg it is because of his UFA status.

DarioinDenver is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:00 AM
  #5
joe blow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Even in a lockout year I do not believe NHL players can play in the SEL if they are under contract through that year. So Forsberg is eligable but Bertuzzi isn't. I'm not familiar with Naslunds contract. Furthermore it would violate exlution clauses in their contracts with out the consent of their NHL teams.

It's not as simple as just going over seas to play because the NHL is locked out. For Forsberg it is because of his UFA status.
Good point, I never really considered that. Would a strike vs. a lockout make a difference in their ability to go? Furthermore, you mentioned that because players are under contract they can't simply decide to play in Europe. However, hasn't Roenick said he might play in Germany while Jagr could go to Russia, aren't these guys still under contracts? Just curious.

joe blow is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:06 AM
  #6
MoS*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northfield, Minnesot
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
but imagine a lineup like
Naslund - Forsberg - Sundstrom
Sedin - Sedin - Bertuzzi
Selanne - Weinhandle - Kariya
three swedish guys you can use as goons and checkers

thats 4 very good offensive lines

MoS* is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:09 AM
  #7
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,975
vCash: 500
CONFIRMED: Naslund just said on After Hours with Kelly Hrudey that if there is a lockout next year, he WILL play for MoDo.

Shane is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:18 AM
  #8
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
CONFIRMED: Naslund just said on After Hours with Kelly Hrudey that if there is a lockout next year, he WILL play for MoDo.
Confirmed: Niel Armstrong has walked on the moon

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:21 AM
  #9
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Confirmed: Niel Armstrong has walked on the moon
No, they faked that. It was in a Hollywood studio.

Shane is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:32 AM
  #10
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,709
vCash: 500
I've been hearing rumours that Tommy Salo might be heading over to Sweden next year as well..

Cerebral is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:37 AM
  #11
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
What are the rules on this?
Like how is a player allowed to play for another team if under contract to another?(ie Naslund is under contract for next year under the Canucks, so how is he allowed to play for MoDo? Does the lockout nullify said contract or something?)
And if the lockout is ended partway through the season(like the last one was), what happens to the guys playing for the Swedish teams? Which contract does the player honour?

ehc73 is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 05:36 AM
  #12
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
No, they faked that. It was in a Hollywood studio.
I heard that they used Area51 to do the filming.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 05:48 AM
  #13
Raimo Sillanpää
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I would try here. Just wondering, what players have you heard are going to play in MODO next year if there is no NHL? I have heard Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kaberle, Jovanovski, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, both Sedins, etc. Are there any others who have been mentioned as going to Sweden to play hockey. Just imagine the lineup!

Selänne will play for Jokerit Helsinki, as will Kariya probably..
Tie domi has also reached agreement wiht jokerit,

Raimo Sillanpää is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 07:33 AM
  #14
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Selänne will play for Jokerit Helsinki, as will Kariya probably..
Tie domi has also reached agreement with jokerit,
No he hasn't. That's a long running joke by Selänne. But if Teemu plays next season in Europe, it'll be for Jokerit.

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-29-2004, 07:39 AM
  #15
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
What are the rules on this?
Like how is a player allowed to play for another team if under contract to another?(ie Naslund is under contract for next year under the Canucks, so how is he allowed to play for MoDo? Does the lockout nullify said contract or something?)
And if the lockout is ended partway through the season(like the last one was), what happens to the guys playing for the Swedish teams? Which contract does the player honour?
I'd assume it's like in '94. If the player has an NHL contract he'll honour that first. Most players in Finland signed fixed term contracts for a certain number of games.

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-29-2004, 10:10 AM
  #16
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
There was an article in the latest Hockey News saying how there won't be many players going to Europe, simply because the European teams can't afford them. A big thing is the insurance money.

The one place they mentioned that could maybe get a few more players than others is Russia. I'm sure Abramovich would be a busy man if there is a lockout.

littleD is online now  
Old
02-29-2004, 12:11 PM
  #17
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,143
vCash: 500
Players under contract can only go to these teams if the team sends them there willingly. For instance, Naslund is under contract next year, but he will be able to play in MoDo next year if there is a lockout, but I believe the team has to okay it. Of course they will, since teams don't want their players lounging around for months, they want them in shape and improving their game.

And there is also a limit to how many guys a European team can take. Don't worry about them not being able to pay enough, teams like MoDo are probobly already saving their pennies, just in case.. not to mention that the guys that will sign there (Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin's).. it'll probobly be for almost nothing.

I assume a team like MoDo would jump on a guy like Bertuzzi without a moment of hesitation, simply because a player like Bert doesn't exist in the SEL. They've never seen anything like him over there.

Mizral is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 12:13 PM
  #18
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Forsberg, Naslund, Bertuzzi........on the same line

Enoch is online now  
Old
02-29-2004, 12:32 PM
  #19
DarioinDenver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Players under contract can only go to these teams if the team sends them there willingly. For instance, Naslund is under contract next year, but he will be able to play in MoDo next year if there is a lockout, but I believe the team has to okay it. Of course they will, since teams don't want their players lounging around for months, they want them in shape and improving their game.

And there is also a limit to how many guys a European team can take. Don't worry about them not being able to pay enough, teams like MoDo are probobly already saving their pennies, just in case.. not to mention that the guys that will sign there (Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin's).. it'll probobly be for almost nothing.

I assume a team like MoDo would jump on a guy like Bertuzzi without a moment of hesitation, simply because a player like Bert doesn't exist in the SEL. They've never seen anything like him over there.

I think you're making a large assumption that NHL clubs will allow their players to go overseas and play hockey. First, the whole exposure to injury. They get hurt, lock out ends and the NHL club is still on the hook for the paycheck. Second, I don't think the owners will be too motivated to let players stay busy overseas making money when they can brood at home draining their bank accounts. It's not really fair per se but when it comes down to business don't expect the owners to break ranks on this.

DarioinDenver is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
  #20
Avery4Byng*
 
Avery4Byng*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
I'm thinking of playing there next year, lets hope I can get through the contract negotiations.... Imagine that Forsberg-Tray-Naslund. What a line!

Avery4Byng* is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 02:06 PM
  #21
Kronblom
Registered User
 
Kronblom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
but imagine a lineup like
Naslund - Forsberg - Sundstrom
Sedin - Sedin - Bertuzzi
Selanne - Weinhandl - Kariya
three swedish guys you can use as goons and checkers

thats 4 very good offensive lines
That could be Per Svartvadet, Andreas Salomonsson and Magnus Wernblom perhaps?

Honestly, I really don´t think Paul Kariya and Teemu Selänne will play in Sweden.

Kronblom is offline  
Old
02-29-2004, 06:50 PM
  #22
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I think you're making a large assumption that NHL clubs will allow their players to go overseas and play hockey. First, the whole exposure to injury. They get hurt, lock out ends and the NHL club is still on the hook for the paycheck. Second, I don't think the owners will be too motivated to let players stay busy overseas making money when they can brood at home draining their bank accounts. It's not really fair per se but when it comes down to business don't expect the owners to break ranks on this.
Are you sure the clubs have a say in this? I don't remember a single player prevented from playing here by his club the last time there was a lockout.

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
  #23
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
Are you sure the clubs have a say in this? I don't remember a single player prevented from playing here by his club the last time there was a lockout.
I think it depends if it's a strike(done by players) or a lockout(done by owners).

ehc73 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.