HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who is playing for MODO next year?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 09:15 PM
joe blow

vCash: 500
Who is playing for MODO next year?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I would try here. Just wondering, what players have you heard are going to play in MODO next year if there is no NHL? I have heard Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kaberle, Jovanovski, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, both Sedins, etc. Are there any others who have been mentioned as going to Sweden to play hockey. Just imagine the lineup!

Old
02-28-2004, 09:26 PM
guinness
those were the days

I think there's a limit on the # of non-EU-born players that can be on a team. If there was a lockout, Forsberg, Naslund, the Sedins, and Sundstrom are probably locks, maybe Weinhandl, Timander, or even Eriksson could be there, and they also have to play players still in their system. As for the other ones, it might depend on how much the team is will to pay.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 767
Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, Naslund, Bertuzzi have all been rumoredto play for MODO

Old
02-29-2004, 12:13 AM
DarioinDenver

Even in a lockout year I do not believe NHL players can play in the SEL if they are under contract through that year. So Forsberg is eligable but Bertuzzi isn't. I'm not familiar with Naslunds contract. Furthermore it would violate exlution clauses in their contracts with out the consent of their NHL teams.

It's not as simple as just going over seas to play because the NHL is locked out. For Forsberg it is because of his UFA status.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:00 AM
joe blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Even in a lockout year I do not believe NHL players can play in the SEL if they are under contract through that year. So Forsberg is eligable but Bertuzzi isn't. I'm not familiar with Naslunds contract. Furthermore it would violate exlution clauses in their contracts with out the consent of their NHL teams.

It's not as simple as just going over seas to play because the NHL is locked out. For Forsberg it is because of his UFA status.
Good point, I never really considered that. Would a strike vs. a lockout make a difference in their ability to go? Furthermore, you mentioned that because players are under contract they can't simply decide to play in Europe. However, hasn't Roenick said he might play in Germany while Jagr could go to Russia, aren't these guys still under contracts? Just curious.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:06 AM
MoS*

but imagine a lineup like
Naslund - Forsberg - Sundstrom
Sedin - Sedin - Bertuzzi
Selanne - Weinhandle - Kariya
three swedish guys you can use as goons and checkers

thats 4 very good offensive lines

Old
02-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Shane

CONFIRMED: Naslund just said on After Hours with Kelly Hrudey that if there is a lockout next year, he WILL play for MoDo.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:18 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
CONFIRMED: Naslund just said on After Hours with Kelly Hrudey that if there is a lockout next year, he WILL play for MoDo.
Confirmed: Niel Armstrong has walked on the moon

Old
02-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Confirmed: Niel Armstrong has walked on the moon
No, they faked that. It was in a Hollywood studio.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Cerebral

I've been hearing rumours that Tommy Salo might be heading over to Sweden next year as well..

Old
02-29-2004, 01:37 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
What are the rules on this?
Like how is a player allowed to play for another team if under contract to another?(ie Naslund is under contract for next year under the Canucks, so how is he allowed to play for MoDo? Does the lockout nullify said contract or something?)
And if the lockout is ended partway through the season(like the last one was), what happens to the guys playing for the Swedish teams? Which contract does the player honour?

Old
02-29-2004, 05:36 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
No, they faked that. It was in a Hollywood studio.
I heard that they used Area51 to do the filming.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I would try here. Just wondering, what players have you heard are going to play in MODO next year if there is no NHL? I have heard Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kaberle, Jovanovski, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, both Sedins, etc. Are there any others who have been mentioned as going to Sweden to play hockey. Just imagine the lineup!

Selänne will play for Jokerit Helsinki, as will Kariya probably..
Tie domi has also reached agreement wiht jokerit,

Old
02-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Selänne will play for Jokerit Helsinki, as will Kariya probably..
Tie domi has also reached agreement with jokerit,
No he hasn't. That's a long running joke by Selänne. But if Teemu plays next season in Europe, it'll be for Jokerit.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
What are the rules on this?
Like how is a player allowed to play for another team if under contract to another?(ie Naslund is under contract for next year under the Canucks, so how is he allowed to play for MoDo? Does the lockout nullify said contract or something?)
And if the lockout is ended partway through the season(like the last one was), what happens to the guys playing for the Swedish teams? Which contract does the player honour?
I'd assume it's like in '94. If the player has an NHL contract he'll honour that first. Most players in Finland signed fixed term contracts for a certain number of games.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:10 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
There was an article in the latest Hockey News saying how there won't be many players going to Europe, simply because the European teams can't afford them. A big thing is the insurance money.

The one place they mentioned that could maybe get a few more players than others is Russia. I'm sure Abramovich would be a busy man if there is a lockout.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Mizral

Players under contract can only go to these teams if the team sends them there willingly. For instance, Naslund is under contract next year, but he will be able to play in MoDo next year if there is a lockout, but I believe the team has to okay it. Of course they will, since teams don't want their players lounging around for months, they want them in shape and improving their game.

And there is also a limit to how many guys a European team can take. Don't worry about them not being able to pay enough, teams like MoDo are probobly already saving their pennies, just in case.. not to mention that the guys that will sign there (Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin's).. it'll probobly be for almost nothing.

I assume a team like MoDo would jump on a guy like Bertuzzi without a moment of hesitation, simply because a player like Bert doesn't exist in the SEL. They've never seen anything like him over there.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Forsberg, Naslund, Bertuzzi........on the same line

Old
02-29-2004, 12:32 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Players under contract can only go to these teams if the team sends them there willingly. For instance, Naslund is under contract next year, but he will be able to play in MoDo next year if there is a lockout, but I believe the team has to okay it. Of course they will, since teams don't want their players lounging around for months, they want them in shape and improving their game.

And there is also a limit to how many guys a European team can take. Don't worry about them not being able to pay enough, teams like MoDo are probobly already saving their pennies, just in case.. not to mention that the guys that will sign there (Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin's).. it'll probobly be for almost nothing.

I assume a team like MoDo would jump on a guy like Bertuzzi without a moment of hesitation, simply because a player like Bert doesn't exist in the SEL. They've never seen anything like him over there.

I think you're making a large assumption that NHL clubs will allow their players to go overseas and play hockey. First, the whole exposure to injury. They get hurt, lock out ends and the NHL club is still on the hook for the paycheck. Second, I don't think the owners will be too motivated to let players stay busy overseas making money when they can brood at home draining their bank accounts. It's not really fair per se but when it comes down to business don't expect the owners to break ranks on this.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Avery4Byng*

I'm thinking of playing there next year, lets hope I can get through the contract negotiations.... Imagine that Forsberg-Tray-Naslund. What a line!

Old
02-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
but imagine a lineup like
Naslund - Forsberg - Sundstrom
Sedin - Sedin - Bertuzzi
Selanne - Weinhandl - Kariya
three swedish guys you can use as goons and checkers

thats 4 very good offensive lines
That could be Per Svartvadet, Andreas Salomonsson and Magnus Wernblom perhaps?

Honestly, I really don´t think Paul Kariya and Teemu Selänne will play in Sweden.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I think you're making a large assumption that NHL clubs will allow their players to go overseas and play hockey. First, the whole exposure to injury. They get hurt, lock out ends and the NHL club is still on the hook for the paycheck. Second, I don't think the owners will be too motivated to let players stay busy overseas making money when they can brood at home draining their bank accounts. It's not really fair per se but when it comes down to business don't expect the owners to break ranks on this.
Are you sure the clubs have a say in this? I don't remember a single player prevented from playing here by his club the last time there was a lockout.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
Are you sure the clubs have a say in this? I don't remember a single player prevented from playing here by his club the last time there was a lockout.
I think it depends if it's a strike(done by players) or a lockout(done by owners).

Closed Thread