HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Naslund on "After Hours" re:Stojanov

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 01:22 AM
WhalerBoy

vCash: 500
Naslund on "After Hours" re:Stojanov

I dont see much of Naslund and his interviews, but wow, is this guy ever proving to me he is one class act, a very honest and good guy.

First, he literally came out and said he tries hard to not be the kind of captain that just give quotes to the press like "we gotta take it one day at a time"....."gotta give 100%"....bla bla bla. the usual non-speak thats a waste of tv time.

(no offence to Sundin, I think he's great, but thats his usual m.o.)

but best of all, a question was asked to him which belittled Alex Stojanov as being only a guy looking to catch on with a Windsor fire department. Naslund took the opportunity to say, with levels of class and dignity rarely seen in sports today, that the trade has unfairly dogged Stojanov and people should not forget how easily it could have gone the other way. He mentioned that Stojanov had been in an accident which greatly hampered his growth. And he said its not right that people should embarrass the guy and that he felt bad.

He has just become one of my favourite players. Congrats 'nucks fans, you have a great ideal captain.

And I love how 90% of the time it is hockey players that do these kinds of things which show maturity and class. Some may be jerks, and they may be grossly overpaid as a whole, but guys like Naslund make me proud to be a hockey fan.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:27 AM
edmontonoilers89

Yeah I saw that too and I was thinking the same thing. Naslund has always been one of my favourite players.

He should have gone more in depth on how to shoot a killer wrister. I need it.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
class act all the way

Old
02-29-2004, 01:33 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah, the look on his face when the "Who am I?" question came up...he really didn't want to answer it.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:51 AM
MoS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBoy
I dont see much of Naslund and his interviews, but wow, is this guy ever proving to me he is one class act, a very honest and good guy.

First, he literally came out and said he tries hard to not be the kind of captain that just give quotes to the press like "we gotta take it one day at a time"....."gotta give 100%"....bla bla bla. the usual non-speak thats a waste of tv time.

(no offence to Sundin, I think he's great, but thats his usual m.o.)

but best of all, a question was asked to him which belittled Alex Stojanov as being only a guy looking to catch on with a Windsor fire department. Naslund took the opportunity to say, with levels of class and dignity rarely seen in sports today, that the trade has unfairly dogged Stojanov and people should not forget how easily it could have gone the other way. He mentioned that Stojanov had been in an accident which greatly hampered his growth. And he said its not right that people should embarrass the guy and that he felt bad.

He has just become one of my favourite players. Congrats 'nucks fans, you have a great ideal captain.

And I love how 90% of the time it is hockey players that do these kinds of things which show maturity and class. Some may be jerks, and they may be grossly overpaid as a whole, but guys like Naslund make me proud to be a hockey fan.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:52 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Stand-up fellow. He'll go toe-to-toe with the media on stuff like that and let them know just what he thinks. It's the closest I've seen him to being ticked off outside of a game.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Luigi Lemieux

naslund's awesome, on and off the ice. imo, him and forsberg are 1a and 1b for the best player in the world title.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:27 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Yeah I think athletes from other leagues (...i'm looking at you NBA...) should all watch that Naslund interview and take notes. He is a true class act in an age when many athletes possess a "me-first" attitude.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:30 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, the look on his face when the "Who am I?" question came up...he really didn't want to answer it.
Explain? I missed it.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:33 AM
ehc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Explain? I missed it.
Oake asked a "Who Am I?" trivia question. The answer was Stojanov. The look on Naslund's face, you could tell he knew what was coming and he didn't like it.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:33 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Explain? I missed it.
Well, Scott Oake started out saying "Who am I? I'm an ex-NHLer who is now in Windsor, Ontario training to become a firefighter..." and Naslund's smile totally disappears and he's like "Yeah...I don't want to answer...it was that guy, Stojanov" and Oake goes on about how it's a very lopsided trade and Naslund came to the guy's defence. Kinda hard to explain.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:37 AM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Well, Scott Oake started out saying "Who am I? I'm an ex-NHLer who is now in Windsor, Ontario training to become a firefighter..." and Naslund's smile totally disappears and he's like "Yeah...I don't want to answer...it was that guy, Stojanov" and Oake goes on about how it's a very lopsided trade and Naslund came to the guy's defence. Kinda hard to explain.
Thanks. I can imagine.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:25 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Naslund and Linden

Those guys are just A's through and through, nice to see there are still some proper role models left.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:37 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
He has always been a classy guy. I am not that convinced he is the ideal captain though.

Old
02-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Jacob

It's really sad that Stojanov has to be brought up so often. The Pittsburgh press has already beaten it into the ground, but it seems like the Canadian/Vancouver press doesn't let it die.

There were a lot of factors in that trade.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Impossibles

The best part was when Nazzy said he remembers after playing 8 games for vancouver there was an article in the vancouver newspaper saying 'Naslund: 0 goals, 8 games. Stojanov: 8 games, 1 goal' basically calling the trade bad.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
The best part was when Nazzy said he remembers after playing 8 games for vancouver there was an article in the vancouver newspaper saying 'Naslund: 0 goals, 8 games. Stojanov: 8 games, 1 goal' basically calling the trade bad.
I remember that too, there was all kinds of stuff written about the trade, people didn't like losing a tough future power forward for a soft European. I can honestly say I loved the trade at the time as I have always loved the skilled players, but there were a lot of people unhappy with it. Then of course Naslund scored a hattrick in the last game of the season and most people shut up...

Old
02-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Reign Nateo

[QUOTE=Jacobv2]It's really sad that Stojanov has to be brought up so often. The Pittsburgh press has already beaten it into the ground, but it seems like the Canadian/Vancouver press doesn't let it die.

There were a lot of factors in that trade.[/QUOTE

It's actually only brought up very rarely in Vancouver now, only when the Pens come to town or something. CBC just tried to be funny with their after hours show. The place I see it brought up the most is around here...

Old
02-29-2004, 03:13 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
He has always been a classy guy. I am not that convinced he is the ideal captain though.
He has to be doing something right... the Canucks have made the playoffs every year since he became captain.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:17 PM
ehc73

[QUOTE=Reign Nateo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
It's really sad that Stojanov has to be brought up so often. The Pittsburgh press has already beaten it into the ground, but it seems like the Canadian/Vancouver press doesn't let it die.

There were a lot of factors in that trade.[/QUOTE

It's actually only brought up very rarely in Vancouver now, only when the Pens come to town or something. CBC just tried to be funny with their after hours show. The place I see it brought up the most is around here...
After Naslund's reprimand of the media, I'm not sure they will anymore.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:25 PM
chicpea*

Good for Naslund! And yeah, the CFL, NBA, MLB and NFL should all watch some of these interviews.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
He has to be doing something right... the Canucks have made the playoffs every year since he became captain.
I would have expected them to, no matter who was captain. And he hasn't really lead them anywhere in the playoffs.

There are some encouraging signs though. He has seemed more like an on-ice leader this year and has provided more offense when his team has needed him to, compared to previous years.

Closed Thread