HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs PP without Souray

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2007, 08:26 AM
GoHabs20

vCash: 500
Isn't this topic about Habs PP ? why are we talking about 5 on 5?

POWERPLAY!!!

let's put Bouillon on....he has such a great shot.

Old
06-14-2007, 08:40 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I didn't write the quote, but my interpretation of this situation revolves around the 5 on 5 situation. The Habs clearly need to improve upon that area. What is Souray's worth 5 on 5? His contributions to the powerplay were significant, but the Habs have enough talent to replace a lot of those goals. Markov alone should be good for 10 on the PP, while some of the other suggestions made regarding replacements seem like they can make up the difference. Bottom line- what are Souray's 26 goals worth on a talented non-playoff team that has trouble 5 on 5? I say his leadership is his biggest asset that will hurt the most if he goes.
We are talking about the PP without Souray. Not the 5-5 without Souray. I dont think 5 on 5 is worht discussing....from what I read in the past it's obvious that once Souray is gone this team will be a threat 5 on 5.

Old
06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabs20 View Post
let's put Bouillon on....he has such a great shot.
Jean Perron (on 110% yesterday):
Francis Bouillon, if healthy, is a solid top 4 for the Habs
PJ Stock was

Old
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Instead of using Souray's point shot next season we're going to use Kovalev's wrister from the RW board. Last season everybody knew Souray's incredible shot and Kovalev was too passive. Now knowing he's the go-to man he'll be money.

My first PP unit would be Latendresse/Koivu/Kovalev, with Tender and Koivu switching position after the faceoff. Latendresse screens the goalie and Koivu sets up plays from the left side. On LD there would be Markov, and seriously anyone else on the other side who can keep the puck safely in the zone and dish a quick pass to Markov or Kovalev.

On the 2nd PP unit, Ryder/whoever/Kostitsyn. The guy in the middle most be able to win faceoffs and stand in front of the net. NOT Plekanec. Lapierre if he improves his faceoffs. Kosty can let-go his laser shot or set up plays, and we all know what Ryder can do. Streit plays LD or even RD, he has a nice slapper. Just find someone else solid. Not Dandouillon please. Komisarek I wouldn't mind.

Find a place for Higgins. Maybe the point with Markov? Or center on the 2nd wave. Or just use him if someone is hurt or cold that night. Higgins isn't that good on the PP.

If worst come to worst: Mathieu Biron. Big frame, big slapshot. Who knows, maybe he could be Souray's replacement?

Old
06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Instead of using Souray's point shot next season we're going to use Kovalev's wrister from the RW board. Last season everybody knew Souray's incredible shot and Kovalev was too passive. Now knowing he's the go-to man he'll be money.

My first PP unit would be Latendresse/Koivu/Kovalev, with Tender and Koivu switching position after the faceoff. Latendresse screens the goalie and Koivu sets up plays from the left side. On LD there would be Markov, and seriously anyone else on the other side who can keep the puck safely in the zone and dish a quick pass to Markov or Kovalev.

On the 2nd PP unit, Ryder/whoever/Kostitsyn. The guy in the middle most be able to win faceoffs and stand in front of the net. NOT Plekanec. Lapierre if he improves his faceoffs. Kosty can let-go his laser shot or set up plays, and we all know what Ryder can do. Streit plays LD or even RD, he has a nice slapper. Just find someone else solid. Not Dandouillon please. Komisarek I wouldn't mind.

Find a place for Higgins. Maybe the point with Markov? Or center on the 2nd wave. Or just use him if someone is hurt or cold that night. Higgins isn't that good on the PP.

If worst come to worst: Mathieu Biron. Big frame, big slapshot. Who knows, maybe he could be Souray's replacement?
What about Yashin at Centre on the 2nd PP unit and Sergei Fedorov at the point. Montreal Red Army

Old
06-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Yeah, he's got a boomer too but it seems, from what i read, that Souray looks like a defensive genius compared to him.

Old
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Habitants

i pick a kost!

he has a hard shot and he can get it off fast! he has played the point before, so i would love to see him in there!

also markov needs to take more shots! he has shown he has great shooting skill, he does not use it enough, hopefully without sourays big shot to rely on he will take more shots, and we can begin to see truely how valuble he is to the team. i predict even more points from him this season.

and finally more traffic. habs need someone to goto the net! holmstrom style. lats i think could do the job, but he needs to get more pp time, and i think it should be tryed. or a ufa, like hartnell, or even big bert for the right price

Old
06-14-2007, 09:51 AM
MathMan

Ryder/Koivu/Kovalev works very well as a front unit, but it worries me that Saku is the one in front of the net setting up screens and such. It did wonders for his goal total though, and he played almost all the games, so it seems his brittleness may not be as great as it used to be.

As for the point guy to replace Souray -- Mark Streit? Or is he better off being Markov on the #2 unit?

Old
06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Ryder/Koivu/Kovalev works very well as a front unit, but it worries me that Saku is the one in front of the net setting up screens and such. It did wonders for his goal total though, and he played almost all the games, so it seems his brittleness may not be as great as it used to be.

As for the point guy to replace Souray -- Mark Streit? Or is he better off being Markov on the #2 unit?
In terms of a character replacement I was thinking Hartnell. The problem that Montreal is going to have next season is we will have too many top-6 forwards. Honestly it wouldn't be impossible to run three powerplay forward units with the forwards we're likely to have. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense, but I don't see how Carbonneau is going to have a real shutdown line next season given the offensive talent that exists, and lack of two-way talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Souray ended up back here, but we can't continue on with the status quo on defense. Something needs to give, and if it's Bouillon, Dandenault or even in the worst caseStreit someone needs to go (waivers, trade.. whatever) to make room for a reasonable UFA defenseman upgrade.

However, with the amounts our RFAs are likely to get I don't think that's a likely scenario.

What about signing someone like Stuart for the second pairing? Is that a stupid idea?

06-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I agree that Souray has a presence to him. You can hear it in the crowd when he's got it at the point on the PP, people are getting on the edge of their seat ready to jump.

What pressure though. 42,000 + eyes on YOU. Crap.
Is it politically correct to choose an even number of eyes?

Last edited by Istvan: 06-14-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: sp.
Old
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

kovy shouldn't be on the point... he can't skate well/fast enough anymore. a couple of years ago sure... but his knees are wonky now, not to mention he's just getting up there and has lost a step... most penalty-killing forwards in the league would make short work of a one on one situation with kovalev by going by him wide...

kovy should stay were he is... on the boards... i like him there and he often comes off the boards and shoots so he'll get his shots anyway... but the point is asking for trouble...

we will most definitely miss souray... he has the best point shot in the league and he's the best goal scorer we had... still though i think we can get better defensively without him... with him we've seen what we can do.

Old
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Well since capacity at the Bell Center is 21,700+, he's actually accounting for about 1500 people with a lazy eye (since it wouldn't be ON Souray), or have only one eye.

Old
06-14-2007, 12:16 PM
LilWinger11

I've seen people on other boards suggesting that Komisarek get some PP time next season- anyone agree? Obviously he's not going to replace Souray, and his slapshot needs work (I'm not sure I've ever actually seen Komi take a slapshot), but I think he could be at least a slight upgrade from Bouillon on the 2nd unit.

Old
06-14-2007, 12:36 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I've seen people on other boards suggesting that Komisarek get some PP time next season- anyone agree? Obviously he's not going to replace Souray, and his slapshot needs work (I'm not sure I've ever actually seen Komi take a slapshot), but I think he could be at least a slight upgrade from Bouillon on the 2nd unit.
No; Kovalev or Kostitsyn is the solution, we just need to put some reason in Carbonneau somehow.

Old
06-14-2007, 01:09 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
No. He already plays top even strength minutes, and gets a lot of PK minutes. I don't think he should be playing 30 minutes a night like Markov does.. not yet, anyway.

I'm not convinced he would be effective on the powerplay, anyway. He's not much of a puck distributor and doesn't have much of a shot or offensive instincts.

Old
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Our PP isnt gonna be that much worst..
A lot of people overestimate Souray's importance on the PP..

The only reason he had so many goals was because everytime we were on the PP Kovalev..Koivu..MArkov..whoever..was always setting up to pass it back to Souray for his shot..
With Souray gone..others will step in and the PP gameplan will be different so the pass back to the point wont be as popular but there's other ways..and btw Markov has a great shot too...so does Streit..and maybe we'll get a new Dman in the offseason..
Im not sayign will be able to finish #1 PP again..but bottom line...having the #1 PP in the league during a full season allowed us to finish 10th in the East....
So really...who gives a ****????
I agree to the fact the our PP game plan was: give the puck to souray. I think it's the foward job to score the goal and with a gameplan oriented on foward shooting the instead of giving the puck back, our offensive production won't be down that much.

Kost and Kovy should play the point: I want that!

Old
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It just wont be the same. The anticipation of seeing Souray seting up for a shot is something unique.
Kostitsyn would have the same effect after 30-40 games.

Old
06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
brownman*

I wanna see more Kovalev/Markov back door plays a la Crosby/Whitney. As for the whole Souray thing, it definitely helps having him there but there's enough creativity still on the team, we've seen how well our boys can move the puck (until the puck would get to Rivet or Ryder, at which point all momentum was lost) so I don't believe the PP will be hurt that much.

Old
06-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't care about the PP.

What's important for us is not to be as bad at 5-on-5. Not rellying so much on our PP to save our ass will be beneficial for the team.

Old
06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I do. If you keep the #1 PP in the league you don't need to be "awesome" at 5-on-5 (which won't happen), just "good".

Old
06-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
There's a Cyclops in the crowd?

Old
06-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

What's important for us is not to be as bad at 5-on-5. Not rellying so much on our PP to save our ass will be beneficial for the team.
The Habs relied on the PP because it didn't have high-scoring forwards. Subtracting Souray wouldn't increase the even strength goals, it would just reduce the PP goals. So how would the same players automatically increase their 5-on-5 goal scoring? By reciting some mantra before they shoot? Of course they could improve their +/- by playing tighter defense, which Carbonneau would like to see, but they would probably sacrifice even more of their goal production.

Another thing: Opposing teams feared seeing Souray winding up at the blue line, so they spent a lot of energy trying to make sure he didn't get a clear shot on goal. With Souray gone, the defense can pay more attention to the puck handlers down low and on the walls.

To make a long story short, the Habs need better players who can maximize their opportunities on all parts of the ice.

Old
06-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
That's too funny! The only reason Souray had so many goals was because of nice passes?!?!? Are you kidding me? A nice pass doesn't translate into a goal - with all of our other Dmen playing the point on the PP why weren't the goals spread around throughout the rest of the D? Souray scored 19 PP goals, the rest of the D combined scored a grand total of 8. Did Kovalev, Koivu and the rest just not pass it as nicely to anyone else but Sheldon?

It takes much more than a nice pass to score a goal.

Say what you want about Souray's defence, but don't dismiss the huge part he played on the PP last season just because he may not be around next year. The PP will suffer, no doubt.
Read between the lines a bit buddy...
Anybody that plays on the PP had in mind to pass it back to Souray to let him blast it...
All Souray has to do is stay open and wait for someone to feed him the puck..
Im not saying if it was Streit instead of him..we still would have had the #1 PP..
What i am saying is everytime we were on the PP we wanted to pass it to Souray..now with him gone..Players will have to find a new way to score...
So it doesnt mean that our PP will be crap without Souray...it also doesnt mean our PP will still be #1

BUT LIKE I SAID...#1 PP---->Finished 10th in East...
SO WHO CARES ABOUT THE PP and SOURAY?????

Old
06-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Absolutely wrong. Souray was the bread & butter on the PP last season. He was also the reason why Ryder was left wide open tons of times. Without #44, I guarantee we wouldn't be #1 in the league in the department, top 10 at best.
Read the rest of my post buddy...

Old
06-14-2007, 05:19 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Read between the lines a bit buddy...
Anybody that plays on the PP had in mind to pass it back to Souray to let him blast it...
All Souray has to do is stay open and wait for someone to feed him the puck..
Im not saying if it was Streit instead of him..we still would have had the #1 PP..
What i am saying is everytime we were on the PP we wanted to pass it to Souray..now with him gone..Players will have to find a new way to score...
So it doesnt mean that our PP will be crap without Souray...it also doesnt mean our PP will still be #1

BUT LIKE I SAID...#1 PP---->Finished 10th in East...
SO WHO CARES ABOUT THE PP and SOURAY?????
We missed the playoffs by 1 win. Without that PP we would have a top 5 pick.

Closed Thread