HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pro Roller Hockey League

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
  #1
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Pro Roller Hockey League

I know there is an In-line hockey league, it the PIHA, is it any good and has anybody tried out for them.


Last edited by Backstrom #19: 06-13-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
  #2
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Anybody?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 09:10 PM
  #3
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor
 
Chalupa Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 22,912
vCash: 500
I have nothing to contribute.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 09:30 PM
  #4
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I have nothing to contribute.
It's a pretty un-know league, if you go to http://www.thepiha.com/page.php?page=tryouts they have a teams you can try out for if some of you think you are good enough.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 09:33 PM
  #5
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor
 
Chalupa Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 22,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
It's a pretty un-know league, if you go to www.theniha.com they have a teams you can try out for if some of you think you are good enough.
I can guarantee that I'm not good enough. Since I tore my ACLs (both of them) for the second time each, I've stuck to ice only.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 09:34 PM
  #6
Pensfan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
I looked at the website. It looks like a Canadian version of a ruling body over roller hockey to me (similar to USA Hockey for American ice hockey). The last pro roller hockey league I remember was the RHI or Pro Beach Hockey.

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
  #7
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan86 View Post
I looked at the website. It looks like a Canadian version of a ruling body over roller hockey to me (similar to USA Hockey for American ice hockey). The last pro roller hockey league I remember was the RHI or Pro Beach Hockey.

I put the wrong website on my post, i edited it now.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:00 PM
  #8
ALine9900
 
ALine9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan86 View Post
I looked at the website. It looks like a Canadian version of a ruling body over roller hockey to me (similar to USA Hockey for American ice hockey). The last pro roller hockey league I remember was the RHI or Pro Beach Hockey.

ALine9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:16 PM
  #9
RangersMoogle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
It looks interesting, but having it during the NHL season is silly. I'd watch it during the summer if they struck a deal with B2.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
  #10
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan86 View Post
I looked at the website. It looks like a Canadian version of a ruling body over roller hockey to me (similar to USA Hockey for American ice hockey). The last pro roller hockey league I remember was the RHI or Pro Beach Hockey.
No, there are two governing bodies for inline hockey in the United States, USA Hockey InLine (under the umbrella of USA Hockey) and USARS (USA Roller Sports). USARS is associated with AAU and holds the right to field a "national team" and puts together a team to compete yearly in the FIRS (Federation of International Roller Sports) World Championships. USA Hockey InLine puts together a national team to compete yearly in the IIHF World Championships. Those are the two national governing bodies for the sport.

PIHA (Professional Inline Hockey Association) is a semi-pro roller hockey league that was started several years ago by Charlie Yoder and a couple of other influenial roller hockey enthusaists. It was started small, in and around the Pennslyvania area initially, and has grown quietly, but steadily while making sure that all of their franchises are secure before granting new ones.

PIHA is a no-checking league and plays two "mini-games", instead of one game each night. The teams play two periods for one game, then take a break and play a second two period game each night. Each PIHA franchise has a minor league team that travels with their parent team and plays a game before the "major league" game.

While I have never seen a PIHA major league game, I have seen many of the players that play in the league. Many of the players are high-level tournament players (NARCh, TORHS), who have a serious desire to play high-level inline hockey and the talent to do so. There are also a lot of former NCRHA/CRHL (Collegiate) players entering the league now as the number of teams expand and players graduate from their collegiate programs (some even play both).

I don't know what the initial posters age is, but I would recommend giving it a shot if you feel you are able to compete at that level. Depending on your age, location, and previous playing experience you might also want to check out the NCRHA (www.ncrha.org) if you are in or entering college.

IMO from an outsider's perspective, PIHA has built a reputable model and has taken the time necessary to grow into it's current size. It is not a "fly by night" operation and I believe it has a bright future. Contact them with any questions, I know they will be very receptive to your interest.

You also might want to check out the IHC forums at www.inlinehockeycentral.com. Their "Pro" forum has a lot of posters that are players, administrators, and fans of the league that can better answer your questions.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
  #11
Pensfan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, there are two governing bodies for inline hockey in the United States, USA Hockey InLine (under the umbrella of USA Hockey) and USARS (USA Roller Sports). USARS is associated with AAU and holds the right to field a "national team" and puts together a team to compete yearly in the FIRS (Federation of International Roller Sports) World Championships. USA Hockey InLine puts together a national team to compete yearly in the IIHF World Championships. Those are the two national governing bodies for the sport.

PIHA (Professional Inline Hockey Association) is a semi-pro roller hockey league that was started several years ago by Charlie Yoder and a couple of other influenial roller hockey enthusaists. It was started small, in and around the Pennslyvania area initially, and has grown quietly, but steadily while making sure that all of their franchises are secure before granting new ones.

PIHA is a no-checking league and plays two "mini-games", instead of one game each night. The teams play two periods for one game, then take a break and play a second two period game each night. Each PIHA franchise has a minor league team that travels with their parent team and plays a game before the "major league" game.

While I have never seen a PIHA major league game, I have seen many of the players that play in the league. Many of the players are high-level tournament players (NARCh, TORHS), who have a serious desire to play high-level inline hockey and the talent to do so. There are also a lot of former NCRHA/CRHL (Collegiate) players entering the league now as the number of teams expand and players graduate from their collegiate programs (some even play both).

I don't know what the initial posters age is, but I would recommend giving it a shot if you feel you are able to compete at that level. Depending on your age, location, and previous playing experience you might also want to check out the NCRHA (www.ncrha.org) if you are in or entering college.

IMO from an outsider's perspective, PIHA has built a reputable model and has taken the time necessary to grow into it's current size. It is not a "fly by night" operation and I believe it has a bright future. Contact them with any questions, I know they will be very receptive to your interest.

You also might want to check out the IHC forums at www.inlinehockeycentral.com. Their "Pro" forum has a lot of posters that are players, administrators, and fans of the league that can better answer your questions.
That's actually pretty interesting. A major reason why I love Canada: It seemingly supports ALL forms of hockey. And to give a reason for my post...the initial poster had a different organization name up there first lol.

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:25 PM
  #12
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfan86 View Post
That's actually pretty interesting. A major reason why I love Canada: It seemingly supports ALL forms of hockey. And to give a reason for my post...the initial poster had a different organization name up there first lol.

Yeah that was my bad, i put the wrong web-site. The PIHA is the one i'm talking about it does look interesting, i don't know if i should spend 50 dollars to try out.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
  #13
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
buddy of mine played in cali for a few weeks as a try out, i think he could have made it but the money involved was nothing he could live off of if he devoted that much time

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
  #14
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i myself have played against goalie Dzubian, David... ive also played with Tony Ascenzo, against Shane Berry, and Ryan Dixon... if i never tore my ACl and actually went to a university id probably be up there in stats... but oh well

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
  #15
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
i played in piha this year here in denver. its a pretty high level of play for roller, but not like the RHI was. Its tough to judge, because we basically created five teams out of the same player pool with 2 teams in denver, two in CO springs, and one in ft collins. on the east coast they wouldve made one team out of that and it wouldve been a much better team. you dont get paid unless you win the whole thing (i think you get some cash for division titles), or if youre team has so many fans you make enough money to offset the cost of rink time for games and practices, refs etc..they do require money up front, but you can get sponsored or sell season tickets instead. you get uniforms, helmets and gloves - tons of practice time and 32 games at least. there were pro and minors. i had a blast, i don think im a "pro" by any stretch and it shouldnt be called that (semi pro at best) but if youre a good player looking to play at the highest level you can and there is a team near you its worth checking out. aside from maybe narch D 1 or pro you wont find much better out there.

our division has a bunch of narch pros/former pros, former ncaa's, guys who played junior. those guys are all the older players. all the young guys are mostly high end roller kids coming up through the tournament system.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
  #16
Titan124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
Yeah, it should be noted that even if you are the best player in this league, you will not make nearly enough to live off of. I believe there are 2 majore leagues (I think the other one is MLRH). Either one of them or both of them pays a very low sum for game, I think one might not pay at all.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:55 PM
  #17
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
we had MLRH out here a few years ago. it was all basically the same guys as piha. they didnt pay either.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
  #18
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
we had MLRH out here a few years ago. it was all basically the same guys as piha. they didnt pay either.
MLRH has been very poorly run and has recently undergone "another" management change with Bill Raue stepping out and a group from Chicago stepping in.

The MAJOR difference between PIHA and MLRH on the rink is that MLRH is full-contact, whereas PIHA is not. Off the rink, there is an even wider difference in that PIHA is very well organized and professionally managed...whereas MLRH has not been in nearly a decade.

BleedGreen is right though. In many areas players have played both MLRH and PIHA in recent years, but with many former MLRH teams joining PIHA this past summer...I think it has become a very limited occurance this year.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:51 PM
  #19
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i played in piha this year here in denver. its a pretty high level of play for roller, but not like the RHI was. Its tough to judge, because we basically created five teams out of the same player pool with 2 teams in denver, two in CO springs, and one in ft collins. on the east coast they wouldve made one team out of that and it wouldve been a much better team. you dont get paid unless you win the whole thing (i think you get some cash for division titles), or if youre team has so many fans you make enough money to offset the cost of rink time for games and practices, refs etc..they do require money up front, but you can get sponsored or sell season tickets instead. you get uniforms, helmets and gloves - tons of practice time and 32 games at least. there were pro and minors. i had a blast, i don think im a "pro" by any stretch and it shouldnt be called that (semi pro at best) but if youre a good player looking to play at the highest level you can and there is a team near you its worth checking out. aside from maybe narch D 1 or pro you wont find much better out there.

our division has a bunch of narch pros/former pros, former ncaa's, guys who played junior. those guys are all the older players. all the young guys are mostly high end roller kids coming up through the tournament system.
I read from somewhere that a team is coming to Savannah GA, which is pretty close to me. Is it true that a team is coming to Savannah.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
  #20
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
MLRH has been very poorly run and has recently undergone "another" management change with Bill Raue stepping out and a group from Chicago stepping in.

The MAJOR difference between PIHA and MLRH on the rink is that MLRH is full-contact, whereas PIHA is not. Off the rink, there is an even wider difference in that PIHA is very well organized and professionally managed...whereas MLRH has not been in nearly a decade.

BleedGreen is right though. In many areas players have played both MLRH and PIHA in recent years, but with many former MLRH teams joining PIHA this past summer...I think it has become a very limited occurance this year.
yeah, mlrh was fighting and full contact when i played it out here. they havent been here in years though. i think piha is here for awhile. cj and charlie are doing a great job with it. there are some kinks in the minor league end, but the pros are very well run. bill rauie was a kook. reminded me of that old preacher guy in the second poltergeist movie. creeped me out.

as for savannah, i have no idea. i play in CO, and all i really know about is what goes on out here. i hear some of our teams may be reorganizing, so im not even sure about here sometimes.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 04:10 PM
  #21
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
yeah, mlrh was fighting and full contact when i played it out here. they havent been here in years though. i think piha is here for awhile. cj and charlie are doing a great job with it. there are some kinks in the minor league end, but the pros are very well run. bill rauie was a kook. reminded me of that old preacher guy in the second poltergeist movie. creeped me out.

as for savannah, i have no idea. i play in CO, and all i really know about is what goes on out here. i hear some of our teams may be reorganizing, so im not even sure about here sometimes.
While I do not want this getting into a Bill Raue thread...I fully understand your initial reaction to meeting Raue. While I have not seen the movie you mentioned, I had several images immediately pop into my head when Raue was introduced to me and none of them was of a wealthy marketing executive or even a business professional for that matter. Regardless, he did/does have a loyal following and has experienced much success in other business ventures so all the more power to him.

As for Savannah, I too don't know, but wouldn't doubt they are looking to put together a division in the Southeast at some point in the future. Contact PIHA through their website. As I said earlier, I know they will be receptive to your questions and do the best to answer them. Also, many rumors fly around about PIHA and MLRH among other leagues over on IHC...check it out at www.inlinehockeycentral.com.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 04:12 PM
  #22
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
yeah, mlrh was fighting and full contact when i played it out here. they havent been here in years though. i think piha is here for awhile. cj and charlie are doing a great job with it. there are some kinks in the minor league end, but the pros are very well run. bill rauie was a kook. reminded me of that old preacher guy in the second poltergeist movie. creeped me out.

as for savannah, i have no idea. i play in CO, and all i really know about is what goes on out here. i hear some of our teams may be reorganizing, so im not even sure about here sometimes.
I read it here on http://www.inlinehockeycentral.com/forums.php

The thing below me is a quote from someone on there who is with the PIHA.


Other definite expansion includes a southeast division.

Teams will be in the following areas:

Cary, North Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach, SC
Greenville, SC
Savannah, GA

For Info contact Chris Havelock

I'm also pretty sure that a few teams in Maryland and Virginia have been added as well. Best to contact Charley or Richard kent on this one.

I think the league is considering two options as far as realignment. One would include moving the two eastern pa teams (Fury & Glads) to the northeast division, and adding the new Virginia teams into the Mason Dixon along with the Harrisburg teams and western pa teams.

However what I think they are really hoping for is to create four divisions, but I think everything needs to fall perfectly into place for that to happen. The two harrisburg teams would be in a division with the maryland/virgina teams. The Fury and Glads would make a new division with the Growl, MM, & Grizzlies (not sure if they are returning). While the remaining four Northeast teams might pick up a team out of Rhode Island (presumably the defending Roller Rats/Storm, but under a new team name). This would leave the two Pittsburgh teams to join with Cincinnati, plus an additional team from Cincinnati, and a team from Columbus. Though that is the region I know the least about.

Dave Garland can tell you more about the Gateway obviously, but I think they are in negotiation with Chicago, which would free up Cincinnati to move to the much closer Western, PA & Columbus division. We could have as many as eight divisons next season if all that works out.

I know there is also some talk about Arizona & Texas, but I'm not so sure how far along that is.

Please don't take any of this as absolute fact, it's just what i've been told here and there. If you know or have heard otherwise, please feel free to dispute me.


I have a question for you Bleedgreen, was the league really dominant cause i don't want to try-out and get schooled really bad.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 04:25 PM
  #23
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I have a question for you Bleedgreen, was the league really dominant cause i don't want to try-out and get schooled really bad.
its hard to say what would be dominant to you. first of all, when competing for the team, youre going against people from your area not people from mine. are there a ton of players who can kick your butt going out for it? i think tryouts are always a good thing. even if youre not up to snuff there are a lot of things you can learn about the game and yourself. if youre afraid of getting schooled competive hockey in general may not be your thing. im not trying to be a jerk, its just the type of thing where you gotta throw all you got against the wall and see what sticks - and if youre afraid of failing you wont do your best.

in general, the minor leagues have a wide variety of skill. they need dedicated people more than high end ones, thats the case here anyway. in many places these things are political and those running the team have a pretty good mind for who they want on the pros to a certain extent. you may have to prove yourself on the minor league team (if you have one, all our teams out here did). id have to know more about you to get an idea of where you would fit in.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 04:34 PM
  #24
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
its hard to say what would be dominant to you. first of all, when competing for the team, youre going against people from your area not people from mine. are there a ton of players who can kick your butt going out for it? i think tryouts are always a good thing. even if youre not up to snuff there are a lot of things you can learn about the game and yourself. if youre afraid of getting schooled competive hockey in general may not be your thing. im not trying to be a jerk, its just the type of thing where you gotta throw all you got against the wall and see what sticks - and if youre afraid of failing you wont do your best.

in general, the minor leagues have a wide variety of skill. they need dedicated people more than high end ones, thats the case here anyway. in many places these things are political and those running the team have a pretty good mind for who they want on the pros to a certain extent. you may have to prove yourself on the minor league team (if you have one, all our teams out here did). id have to know more about you to get an idea of where you would fit in.
I'm top 5 player in my league now, i'm not afraid of failing i just don't want to go out there and spend 50 bucks and get blown away, i'm not afraid of failng cause i know i'm a good player. I work pretty hard, i don't have top skill but i'm a never quit hustle till 5 seconds after the wishtle kind of guy.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
  #25
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I'm top 5 player in my league now, i'm not afraid of failing i just don't want to go out there and spend 50 bucks and get blown away, i'm not afraid of failng cause i know i'm a good player. I work pretty hard, i don't have top skill but i'm a never quit hustle till 5 seconds after the wishtle kind of guy.
i dont see why you wouldnt want to do it then. what kind of league are you in now? sounds like your a candidate for the minors at least. 50 bucks may seem like a lot now, but i think its worth it just for the experience. is the team going to be at your rink? if not, id say go check out the top league at the rink the team will be based out of - there is the likely source for most of your competition at the tryout. if it is at your rink and your already a good player there, i wouldnt expect that many people to just appear out of the woodwork. i think i knew about 80% of the entire CO pro division on a first name basis before it started last year. very few guys just showed up who id never seen before.

i wasnt trying to insult before. sorry if i did.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.