HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville group contemplating bid for Preds

Old
06-14-2007, 06:33 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Nashville group contemplating bid for Preds

See below.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/20...s_in_the_works

No names. The most likely suspects would be music (Vince and Amy) or healthcare (Frist family). Ingram family could clearly afford it. Not sure off the top of my head beyond that.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I would have to spectulate that new or future (I know he owns land and is building or has built a BIG house) Franklin resident billionare Todd Wagner would probably be contacted by this group to gauge his interest as I've heard he previously attempted to purchase the Dallas Stars prior to Tom Hicks owning the team.

Wagner was Mark Cuban's partner in Broadcast.com and now owns 2929 Entertainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_wagner

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Paincakes

Awesome timing!

But it is good news.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm crossing my fingers........What Balsille is doing is absolutely wrong.......I can't even believe what I'm reading at this point. Its blatant disregard of Nashville.

06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
handtrick

Wow.....I couldn't have dreamed of a better turn of events, if true of course.

The key now is to get the BOG to turn down the sale, or Leipold to back out.

Meanwhile any intervening time until the BOG hearing on this allows this group to organize and the grassroots movement to gain momentum.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The letter of intent runs out June 30th, it won't even be voted on by then.

Doesn't matter, he's spit in the face of Buffalo, Toronto and Gary Bettman.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

BTW, if it is Martha Ingram or the Frists, they'd have more than enough money to tell blackberry boy to leave and let the grown-ups play.

Old
06-14-2007, 08:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Predators insiders have told NashvillePost.com that Leipold and Bettman were "irked" and not happy with Balsillie's actions and that Leipold especially was caught off-guard by Balsillie's moves.

Old
06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Excellent news.

I've been hoping Balsillie was shooting himself in the foot with the things he's done over the past couple of days, but I didn't know whether it much mattered if the only other offer on the table was from another guy who wanted to move the team.

This changes things considerably. If Balsillie pisses off enough people - and from everything I've read the past few days, it sounds like he's managed to torque several of the governors AND Leipold himself - the possibility of a legitimate offer from local interests makes it much easier for either Leipold or the BoG to tell Balsillie to go piss up a rope.

I really hope all this works out for you.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
PredDave

This is the first really positive news I have heard in weeks!

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 10:26 PM
belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Wow.....I couldn't have dreamed of a better turn of events, if true of course.

The key now is to get the BOG to turn down the sale, or Leipold to back out.

Meanwhile any intervening time until the BOG hearing on this allows this group to organize and the grassroots movement to gain momentum.

Interesting that NashvillePost.com broke the news.

NashvillePost.com also broke the news of the pending sale.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Here's to hoping, this could be huge.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Egil

This is the only real hope for you guys. Balsille was merely the highest bidder from owners who want to move the team, not the only one.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:12 AM
braindead

What about Scott Hamilton who regularly attends Predator games-- turns out it was meant to be Hamilton's Predators instead of Hamilton Predators in all of the headlines.

Did Ice Capades pay that well?

Old
06-15-2007, 01:01 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Those familiar with the deal acknowledge that they have not presented a proposal to Leipold and are prohibited from doing so while Balsillie's offer is on the table.
Why are they prohibited? Leipold can't accept another bid, but I'm not aware of a reason it can't be offered?

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 01:12 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
This is the only real hope for you guys. Balsille was merely the highest bidder from owners who want to move the team, not the only one.
I think the main hope continues to be continued improvement in attendance (as demonstrated in the last several years even with a lock out) to get attendance over (well over) the lease-breaking hurdle. Convert emerging business support into paid tickets and the lease stays in place. If the lease stays in place, the team will not move.

Old
06-15-2007, 01:48 AM
EbencoyE

This is great news for you guys. I'm happy there seems to be plenty of initiative to keep the team in town. Hopefully it all works out, Balsille is a ******* and his recent actions have been disgusting.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 02:18 AM
aka_mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
This is great news for you guys. I'm happy there seems to be plenty of initiative to keep the team in town. Hopefully it all works out, Balsille is a ******* and his recent actions have been disgusting.
Selling tickets for a team you dont even own yet, in a city you haven't even started the process for relocating to yet... Yeah Balsillie is a ****ing arrogant *******. Theres lots of people talking **** about the guy has lots of money etc.. As far as I understand the situation , this guy i just all about moving a team to Kitchener/Waterloo. Nothing at all against Nashville, but the guy already is about to **** a $220mil gold brick to buy your team... Hes thinking with his heart and not his brain, and I wouldn't think there isnt anything you could do to paint a bigger target on yourself. I wouldn't want to see Nashville lose their team, but I hope Toronto and Buffalo (BLO moreso) take him for all he's worth if it goes down, cause he wants it. So give it to him! A completely stereotypical target to be hustled. If its that important to him to put a team Hamilton then I hope he pays, dearly, to do so (mainly to us, Buffalo, **** the leafs).

aka_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Jarnberg

Where was this group a few months ago? Perhaps the reality sunk in and this group decided to finally step up.

I think it would a miracle at this point for this group to buy the Predators. First of all, we have to assume they would actually do this. Until they clearly make an attempt to buy the team, they are just blowing smoke at this point. We'll see if they are serious if they are given the chance.

Second, they would likely have to match Mr.Balsillie's offer, as I cannot see Leipold accepting less money to keep the team here. He lost my trust after he lied claiming he'd only sell to local owners. I can't see him actually backing that up by selling the team for less than Balsillie's offer. Especially if the rumors are true that he wants to invest in a NBA team in his home state. Additionally, they'd have to match the KC group's bid.

And lastly, this is assuming that the deal doesn't go through. The only way I could see this working is if the NHL doesn't approve this sale by June 30th or flat our rejects it and Mr. Leipold grows impatient and wants to sell the team since he's "losing all kinds of money."

I would fully suspect Balsillie to fight this if something like this occurs. He'll likely battle this with his lawyers.

Again, assuming this group is actually serious.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 09:52 AM
hockeydadx2*

If the sale is rejected, Balsillie can sue all he wants. The BOG is under no obligations in any way shape or form to OK the deal. They can reject the deal for any reason they want.

Now, maybe, once he owns the team, it gets more difficult to control him. And Balsillie has proven time after time that he is a dishonest putz, and that every word out of his mouth is a lie, (including a, an, and the).

I am getting a gut feeling that he's not getting the team. I think he is just pissing too many people off.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
I am getting a gut feeling that he's not getting the team. I think he is just pissing too many people off.
I second that.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 02:25 PM
handtrick

Just heard the guy that broke this story, Ken Whitehouse, interviewed on HomeIce XM Radio by Jim Tatte of the Power Play.

He said that he has had many discussions with some of the players of this group over the past 24 and especially the past 2 hours. He is still keeping their identity confidential, but he could assure us that they have the financial means to do it.
He described activity as "quite intense" right now, and said the biggest obstacle to having a bid ready by June 30th or July 1st if the Basillie deal fell apart, would be to have a viable business plan in place.

It sounds like they need some more time to get the "corporate support" to commit to making this a viable venture long term.....and since these ARE the guys of the corporate community, one would have to assume.....they have the contacts to make it work if it can work at all.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 02:31 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I hope this works out this way. I wish they'd have stepped up sooner.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29 View Post
I hope this works out this way. I wish they'd have stepped up sooner.
As others have pointed out, Leipold in all his comments was offering minority shares in ownership of the Preds. For big time investors minority shares in what is reported as a money losing venture does not make much sense.
This is our best and probably only hope.....full local ownership. Because then I think we will see a significant corporate jump in season tickets.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Just heard the guy that broke this story, Ken Whitehouse, interviewed on HomeIce XM Radio by Jim Tatte of the Power Play.

He said that he has had many discussions with some of the players of this group over the past 24 and especially the past 2 hours. He is still keeping their identity confidential, but he could assure us that they have the financial means to do it.
He described activity as "quite intense" right now, and said the biggest obstacle to having a bid ready by June 30th or July 1st if the Basillie deal fell apart, would be to have a viable business plan in place.

It sounds like they need some more time to get the "corporate support" to commit to making this a viable venture long term.....and since these ARE the guys of the corporate community, one would have to assume.....they have the contacts to make it work if it can work at all.
This would be fantastic news. It would be interesting to find out if they can meet Balsillie's offer and/or beat the KC group's offer.

We really need for the NHL to not approve the sell and for Leipold to actually listen to this group.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote