HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville group contemplating bid for Preds

Old
06-15-2007, 03:25 PM
GLM

vCash: 500
if leopold is so "disgusted" then he needs to pull out. ballssilly is a jer_off. cant stand him. after the blatant lies he told to the pens fans, front office and the nhl i have absolute 0 respect for him.

for him to say he wanst moving them then going and securing the arena and offering season tix is not the right thing to do. he should have laid low and not show his hand to early. i dont understand this.

anyhow its great news for you preds fans. us pens fans know EXACTLY what your going thru.

keep up the good work and show support for YOUR team.

o ya and F-BALLSSILLY!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
taxman309

New to posting on these boards. But I have been a season ticket holder of the Preds for nine years and followed hockey for 46 years, all the while living in Mid TN.

If Leipold is "irked" and "disgusted" by the recent acts of Balsillie, all he needs to do is nothing. By that, I mean that he doesn't invoke the out clause of the lease by next Tuesday.

Then we will see how interested Balsillie is in the Preds if he has to wait a year to invoke the out clause or if he just withdraws his offer to buy.

taxman309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:02 PM
handtrick

For what it is worth, a poster from NP.com that is spearheading alot of the grassroots activity and has appeared trustworthy so far states that he has it from two independant sources that the Frist family and the Ingram family are in on this....so,if true, as Ken Whithead said....coin shouldn't be a problem.

For those of you who don't know much about these families:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/10/XA34.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/10/7ESE.html

So now it seems that Basillie is not the only one with money who may be throwing his weight around.

Last edited by handtrick: 06-15-2007 at 04:07 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
For what it is worth, a poster from NP.com that is spearheading alot of the grassroots activity and has appeared trustworthy so far states that he has it from two independant sources that the Frist family and the Ingram family are in on this....so,if true, as Ken Whithead said....coin shouldn't be a problem.
That would be awesome.

Local ownership with strong corporate and community ties are the key to the long term success of NHL hockey in Nashville.

Not getting too high right now though...they are still on the outside looking in along with the rest of us.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:

For those of you who don't know much about these families:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/10/XA34.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/10/7ESE.html

So now it seems that Basillie is not the only one with money who may be throwing his weight around.
Now we just need the NHL to not approve the sell to Balsillie. However, I doubt they will.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:12 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Now we just need the NHL to not approve the sell to Balsillie. However, I doubt they will.
.....Or Craig to do the unthinkable, and back out of the deal.

On the other hand, maybe Craig would just not invoke the "cure" clause by June 19th, and Basillie may back out himself because the inflated offer price of $238 mill could be very well have been contingient on Craig inacting the clause through at least a gentleman's agreement.

Old
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
.....Or Craig to do the unthinkable, and back out of the deal.
Can he though? There's a letter of intent in place. I wonder if uncovering Balsillie's true intentions (which Leipold claims have shocked him) are enough to legally break negotiations.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Can he though? There's a letter of intent in place. I wonder if uncovering Balsillie's true intentions (which Leipold claims have shocked him) are enough to legally break negotiations.

From what I understand [lawyers correct me if I am wrong] either party can back out of the deal, and the letter of intent is set to expire June 30th.....the BOG has elected not to put it on the agenda.

If the BOG does not approve it by June 30th, does that allow the deal to "expire" and let Craig entertain other offers?

Where is a lawyer when you need one.......

Old
06-15-2007, 04:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From what I understand [lawyers correct me if I am wrong] either party can back out of the deal, and the letter of intent is set to expire June 30th.....the BOG has elected not to put it on the agenda.

If the BOG does not approve it by June 30th, does that allow the deal to "expire" and let Craig entertain other offers?

Where is a lawyer when you need one.......
That's the way I understand it HT, it expires June 30th, they can extend it if they agree too, but the orginal deal expires June 30th.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I'm actually getting a possitive vibe here I'm think the NHL is gonna tell Baldsilly to shove his Blackberries up his A double crooked letter and the local group will buy a large percentage of the team with Leipold as a minority owner around 25%. Baldsilly has burned a lot of bridges with his antics and will never get another chance at a team.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I'm actually getting a possitive vibe here I'm think the NHL is gonna tell Baldsilly to shove his Blackberries up his A double crooked letter and the local group will buy a large percentage of the team with Leipold as a minority owner around 25%. Baldsilly has burned a lot of bridges with his antics and will never get another chance at a team.
I appreciate the optimism and while I'd love for this to happen, I can't see the NHL blocking the sale. I think the $230ish million figure is going to look great in front of the eyes of the Board of Governors.

Old
06-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I appreciate the optimism and while I'd love for this to happen, I can't see the NHL blocking the sale. I think the $230ish million figure is going to look great in front of the eyes of the Board of Governors.
If the figue is 200 mil + comming from a local owner then they may re-consider Baldsilly's offer

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I can, they're not happy with Ballsille and it's not saying the team can't be sold, the other offer was 190M so I'd guess the local group would have to match that.

If it's true the local groups are the Frist and the Ingram's they'd have the money to do it.

Hell, Martha would go into depression if she were making Ballsillie money.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Jarnberg

Well until this group actually comes forward, I won't believe it. I really hope its true though.

Of course, this anonymous group cannot talk with Mr. Leipold about the deal until one side backs out of the deal or the NHL blocks the sell.

So the Board or Mr.Leipold cannot assume this group will in fact step up.

If this group is serious, the only way this could work is if somehow the group is allowed to talk with Leipold after the 30th. And of course Mr. Leipold would have to accept the deal.

As for Leipold, Bettman, the Board of Governors being 'upset' and 'irked', I think we've all been lied to enough lately to accept this as the truth.

At the end of the day, they just saw their franchises values go up.

With the news of Mr. Leipold enacting the out clause, I think this proves that Mr. Leipold really doesn't care.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 06-15-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old
06-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
NashvillePost.com has learned that David Freeman, chief executive officer of Commodore Medical Services, and Herb Fritch, CEO of HealthSpring, would be part of a local ownership group that would make a bid on the Nashville Predators should the current deal collapse.

The ownership group can't present their bid to Predators owner Craig Leipold nor can he entertain the bid legally while the deal with Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie is on the table.
http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/20...d_bid_on_preds

Last edited by Jarnberg: 06-15-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old
06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Cropduster

Just a tad of support from a LA Kings fan.....hope this group can come through for you guys

Cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:29 PM
handtrick

Quote:
It didn't say it WASN'T the Ingrams and/or the Frists....it just says two of the "group" are Freeman and Fritch

Old
06-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
It didn't say it WASN'T the Ingrams and/or the Frists....it just says two of the "group" are Freeman and Fitch
Bah, I completely over looked that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This is our major chance to stay in Nashville long term. We NEED desperately for this to happen.

06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is our major chance to stay in Nashville long term. We NEED desperately for this to happen.
I just hope it isn't too little too late.

Our only hope is for Balsillie to back out or the NHL to block the deal.

Old
06-15-2007, 05:41 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
I am from Hamilton, and I am hoping that Balsillie's plan falls flat on his face.

It would be great to have a team in Hamilton to go see. This city is so brutally boring. There is nothing to do here.

But three things:

1) Balsillie's tactics are not right. The guy would set a horrible precedent. He would be bad for the league. He is scum.

2) It would be highly hypocritical for Hamilton, or any Canadian city, to celebrate getting a team in this manner after the crying and whining Canadians did when Winnipeg and Quebec City lost their teams.

3) Nashville's fans deserve a team. I watched Nashville's playoff games this year, and the atmosphere in the building sounded like a College Bowl Game. And that is a great thing. It is unfortunate that corporate support is lacking, because fan support seems to be there.

Bottom line: I wish all of you Predators fans the best of luck in this situation.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:46 PM
handtrick

thanks for the words Puckguy.

I have always said that it makes much more sense as a business model for the NHL to support relocation of existing teams to promising "nontraditional markets".....KC, Las Vegas, Houston.

And place expansion teams in traditional markets ....Hamilton, Winnepeg, possibly Quebec City.

Not that I want the Preds to relocate to KC, etc by any means......I just think Nashville would be a much more viable market right now had the Devils relocation occured to Nashville instead of placing an expansion team here [again, not saying that NJ doesn't deserve the Devils].

Old
06-15-2007, 05:46 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
I am from Hamilton, and I am hoping that Balsillie's plan falls flat on his face.

It would be great to have a team in Hamilton to go see. This city is so brutally boring. There is nothing to do here.

But three things:

1) Balsillie's tactics are not right. The guy would set a horrible precedent. He would be bad for the league. He is scum.

2) It would be highly hypocritical for Hamilton, or any Canadian city, to celebrate getting a team in this manner after the crying and whining Canadians did when Winnipeg and Quebec City lost their teams.

3) Nashville's fans deserve a team. I watched Nashville's playoff games this year, and the atmosphere in the building sounded like a College Bowl Game. And that is a great thing. It is unfortunate that corporate support is lacking, because fan support seems to be there.

Bottom line: I wish all of you Predators fans the best of luck in this situation.
Thank you....we all appreciate your kind words.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman309 View Post
New to posting on these boards. But I have been a season ticket holder of the Preds for nine years and followed hockey for 46 years, all the while living in Mid TN.

If Leipold is "irked" and "disgusted" by the recent acts of Balsillie, all he needs to do is nothing. By that, I mean that he doesn't invoke the out clause of the lease by next Tuesday.

Then we will see how interested Balsillie is in the Preds if he has to wait a year to invoke the out clause or if he just withdraws his offer to buy.
I guess we'll see how irked Leipold really is if he does or does not invoke the out-clause by the 19th.

I hope team remains in Nashville.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
lfchockey*

That article sounds a bit like what Reg Dunlop did for the Charleston Chiefs.
"Who owwwwwwns...... who owwwwwwnss!"

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote