HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Odds the Rangers trade to move up in the draft

View Poll Results: Odds the Rangers trade to move up in the draft
0-25% 39 52.00%
25-50% 22 29.33%
50-75% 11 14.67%
75-100% 3 4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-15-2007, 11:16 AM
n_a_c

vCash: 500
Odds the Rangers trade to move up in the draft

I believe that the Rangers are close to being a real competitor, and any assets we use to move up in the draft would be better spent to improve this year's team. I'm not advocating that we trade prospects for a 38 year old, but I do think it is much more likely we'll trade for an established player, perhaps even a young established player instead of an 18 year old pick. So I voted 0-25%.

Thoughts?

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The only way i can see them move up, is if Van Reimsdyk falls to #3 (through Philly -which i don't think will happen) and Maloney wants Montoya, maybe someone else and the Rangers #17.

Other than that i dont see any reason to move up, unless its like a spot or two for future considerations if someone theyve realistically zero'd in on falls through a bit.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Shadowtron

I voted 0-25. For good or for ill, it'll be another boring draft for us. It's not very deep and Slats has not been one for draft day dramatics (see '99 draft). So I doubt anything will happen. We'll pick 17th or lower, in the first round.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Nich

i could see us move up, but not into the top 10. my guess is either we move up into the teens or hold pat at 17....kinda like the staal draft...we wanted him, he feel, we got him....

if we move up my guess is it is for either lars or gagner

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Unless some unforeseen situation occurs where a player drops out of the top ten, where I could see us maybe moving to the 12-14 range for a player they really like. sort of like what they did for staal.

that said, everything I've read about this draft tells me this situation is not likely to occur

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
Unless some unforeseen situation occurs where a player drops out of the top ten, where I could see us maybe moving to the 12-14 range for a player they really like. sort of like what they did for staal.

that said, everything I've read about this draft tells me this situation is not likely to occur
copy cat

Old
06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Onion Boy

I'm inclined to say 0-25%. Moving up to knab a particular player seems to have been Maloney's penchant. With him gone, I bet we are a little more cautious at the draft table.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:15 PM
eco's bones

Not that good of a draft or to put it another way any real benefit from moving up instead of standing pat may be negligible in the long run to be worth trading other important assets for.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
I believe that the Rangers are close to being a real competitor, and any assets we use to move up in the draft would be better spent to improve this year's team. I'm not advocating that we trade prospects for a 38 year old, but I do think it is much more likely we'll trade for an established player, perhaps even a young established player instead of an 18 year old pick. So I voted 0-25%.

Thoughts?
Totally agree with this line of thinking (especially if you throw in the Jagr time frame and, probably, the Shanny time frame)...Like you, I think it's more likely that we deal the #1 pick as compared to moving up in the draft..And would have no problem with it if we do (depending on the deal of course)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
copy cat
we must be right then...

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Pizza

I could see us trying to move up for Eller. Actually I think we should seriously consider it if he is available after 8 or 9.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I could see us trying to move up for Eller. Actually I think we should seriously consider it if he is available after 8 or 9.
i agree...i really want this kid...and one of his lines mates in the second round

Old
06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i agree...i really want this kid...and one of his lines mates in the second round
I was thinking that a first and a second would be needed to get us up to 8 or 9.

Old
06-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think it's 50% either way. I think that they might move up OR trade down to pick up some extra picks. If the guys they have targeted are already gone, they might move down to around 25-28 or so and gain some later picks as well (which I think wouldn't be that bad of a move).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 07:41 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
I would agree with giving up the 1st & 2nd to move up and grab

Kane, Turris, Van Reimsdyk, Cherapanov, Eller, Gagner or Backlund.

Everyone else in the draft don't seem like top line material let alone make the NHL.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Pizza

Usually I'm a BPA kinda guy, but there are players to make an exception for. I think Eller could be that player. I think he really fits the profile of a player the Rangers are looking for.

IMO the Rangers would need to move up to at least the 9th spot to get him. I'm hoping one or two teams take a flyer on another player and let Eller slip a few spots. With all the attention he's been getting, I'd be surprised if he's on the board past 9 or 10. Heck, he may not be there past six or seven.

With the supposed lack of depth in this draft, Sather might be willing to do what it takes, and it might take a lot. Rangers 1st and 2nd should get it done. It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Slats can work a deal with J.D. for the 9th pick.

Old
06-16-2007, 06:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I guess if a player the Rangers really liked fell into the 11-13 range, I could see them moving up. But, since there doesn't appear to be a big amount of difference outside of the top six - Kane, Turris, JVR, Voracek, Alzner and Cherpanov - I'm don't it's a price worth paying. Yes, I'd love to see a Eller or Backlund as the selection. And, maybe a Couture falls far enough for a trade to be a viable option. But, there should be a solid player available at 17 - Pacioretty, Sweatt and Petrecki could and should be on the board. If anything, I'd be open to seeing the Rangers trade the 17th to STL for the 24th and 26th picks.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 06:15 AM
gaglinefan

That Makes Sense

jas I guess if a player the Rangers really liked fell into the 11-13 range, I could see them moving up. But, since there doesn't appear to be a big amount of difference outside of the top six - Kane, Turris, JVR, Voracek, Alzner and Cherpanov - I'm don't it's a price worth paying. Yes, I'd love to see a Eller or Backlund as the selection. And, maybe a Couture falls far enough for a trade to be a viable option. But, there should be a solid player available at 17 - Pacioretty, Sweatt and Petrecki could and should be on the board. If anything, I'd be open to seeing the Rangers trade the 17th to STL for the 24th and 26th picks

Exactly.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 08:27 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If anything, I'd be open to seeing the Rangers trade the 17th to STL for the 24th and 26th picks.
I am thinking along the same lines. Except, I think that the thing to do is to put yourself into as good a position as possible, with as many picks as possible in next year's draft. So maybe you trade down this year, in return for exchanging draft positions in next year's first round or acquiring another 2nd or 3rd rounder in next year's draft.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote