Notices

Ducks 2007 draft preview

Old
06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Ducks 2007 draft preview

The Anaheim Ducks hold the No. 16 pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Man, Kevin you have been busy. Another great article!

Thx a ton!

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
JeffShibley

great article.....would love it if we ended up with petricki too

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Kick Save

Nice Article, Kevin

Thanks for bringing us up to date. I assume you represented the Ducks in HF's mock draft. Is Petrecki good enough to warrant the # 16 pick? He certainly seems to fit the Ducks' prototype.

I've seen Nick Moller's name come up a couple of times (for the Ducks) both on the HF board and elsewhere. All I know is what I've read: I've never seen him play. He's Swedish, played in the CHL and seems to have the requisite hard-nosed style of play. Have you seen him play? Thoughts on how he might fit in?

Is there any significant chance the Ducks keep both goalies? If not, is Hiller ready to do duty in the NHL (albeit as a backup)? Have you heard any rumors about dealing one of the goalies? Doesn't Jiggy have to be signed before Burke even contemplates trading one of them? What about signing Jiggy and trading Bryz plus the 16th pick to move up in the draft? How high a pick could we land with that package? (I know that we have a veteran team and there's some sentiment for stocking up the big club, but our pipeline has gotten a little thinner with the promotions of Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, et al.)

What's your take on how all of this plays out? (If you have no inside connections, I'll settle for an informed guess).

BTW, thanks and keep up the good work.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't know how much use the Ducks would have moving up, unless they can get a top eight pick. From all the scouts I talked to this year, they think there's a real gap between the top 7 or 8 players and the rest of the field.
The top eight teams are:
1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Phoenix Coyotes
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Washington Capitals
6. Edmonton Oilers
7. Columbus Blue Jackets
8. Boston Bruins

Boston, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Toronto are the teams normally listed as requiring help between the pipes, so as you can see there is some potential "matchups" although a lot in Anaheim's own division. That said, Giguere would have to be signed before a deal (assumedly Bryzgalov) is made and all of Giguere's quotes, while favourable for the Ducks seem to point to him at least wanting to look at the market and see what he is offered. I would be surprised to see a deal take place involving a goalie at the draft.

I think one of the reasons why Hiller chose the Ducks is because he wants to play in the NHL. There were a number of other teams who were trying to sign him and he chose Anaheim. I don't think he signed with the Ducks with the notion that he may play in Portland. I view it similar to when Martin Gerber came to Anaheim. I don't believe Burke guaranteed him a spot on the roster but I do believe he guaranteed him the chance to compete for a spot on the roster. As it stands, the tandem of Bryzgalov and Giguere doesn't allow for that competition, so I would wager if Giguere stays, Bryzgalov goes or if Bryzgalov stays, Giguere goes. I think my words were somewhere along the line of saying one of the two goaltenders will not return to Anaheim next season, and I truly think that will be the case.

I personally have not seen Moller play (nor have I seen Petrecki). I honestly didn't consider him as much, simply because of Anaheim's preference for North Americans. Obviously Moller benefits a bit by playing in the CHL, but I preferred Petrecki. Speaking of Europeans, the more I think about it, the more I wonder whether Smid was their first choice in 2004 or whether they were hoping someone like Ladd would fall. Either way, Moller appears to be a solid choice as well, I just felt that Petrecki was closer to being the "expected" Ducks prospect.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:35 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
If they do decide to use Bryz to trade up, hypothetically, how high do you think they can go?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Ducks__Halos

vCash: 863
Nice article as usual, Kevin.

I wouldn't mind the pick of Petrecki either if Burke does end up drafting a defenseman.

I like everything I've read about how he excels at physical play and in The Hockey News, one scout said that if he was playing in the OHL instead of the USHL, he'd probably be being speculated to be a top-5 pick but "he wasn't challenged enough this season." He already has great size too.

Ducks__Halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Randall Graves*

For some reason I keep thinking Gillies is going to be our pick if hes still on the board and the Ducks don't trade down or out of the first round if we find out Nieder retires.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
If they do decide to use Bryz to trade up, hypothetically, how high do you think they can go?
Unless there's a specific player not part of that top group of seven that the Ducks want to trade up for, I think it's not really a question of looking at how high you can go, but who would even talk to the team. Look at the top eight I posted before, out of any of them, I think only Los Angeles would really look seriously at trading their pick and moving down, due to the depth of their organization. Every other team in the group probably would like to have a decent prospect and the bottom four teams probably hope there's a way to trade up a bit higher to make sure they get the guy they want. There's a lot of talk from teams like Columbus (with a new GM perhaps wanting to make a splash) and Boston (hoping to change their fortunes) on perhaps looking for deals to move up, not down in the draft. I think any proposed deal with Los Angeles would result in them asking for more than Anaheim would be willing to give. Once you get outside that top eight, it gets murky and then you really have to consider worth, is offering up Bryz really worth a jump of five spots?

As I mentioned at the beginning, unless the Ducks have their eye on one particular 'have-to-have' player and don't think he'd fall all the way down, then I'd be surprised to see them deal the pick and Bryzgalov to move up.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote