HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Foote

Old
06-17-2007, 10:58 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
TB, you mis-spelled Malik. What do you do with Malik?
I take it that you presume that Malik will be traded? I tend to doubt that. And not only for the contract reasons.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 10:58 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I don't know about the cap hell. Actually, on that part I would tend to disagree. Callahan will be one of the our 3rd line wings, while, barring a trade, Dawes will be in Hartford.

I agree with Brook on Staal. As a matter of fact, not only do I think that nothing about him making the team is written in stone, I actually believe that there is very little chance that he will make the team out of camp. There is only one open spot amongst the top-6 defensemen. I think that Baranka & Pock will be given every opportunity (barring the signing of a UFA defenseman) to claim it. Staal would have to significantly outplay both of them in camp, IMO, to get a shot. I think that most likely scenario has Staal ticketed for Hartford. There, his play and whether or not the #6 defenseman would fall on his face, would dictate on just how long his stay in Hartford is to be.
My feeling is that Staal will do everything in his power to force the Rangers hands, and that he well end up in NY to start the season. Now, whether or not he starts shuffling back and forth between NY and Hartford remains to be seen.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I take it that you presume that Malik will be traded? I tend to doubt that. And not only for the contract reasons.
Actually, if the Rangers are to trade for a center, instead of trying to sign Drury/Gomez, Malik's contract could fit snuggly in such a deal. $2.5 million with one year to go...a team like TB, which is losing Sarich, could use a Malik on the backline, who is a better alternative than some of the similarly priced alternative on the open market.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM
geisenNYR

If Sather goes after an expensive defensman, it has to be Souray. He brings offensive ability to a back line, and gives us a good point man on Power plays. Foote is a great player but, we have Staal, and we need more offense from the D. I too expect Foote to go back to Coloradoif he is bought out.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
My feeling is that Staal will do everything in his power to force the Rangers hands, and that he well end up in NY to start the season. Now, whether or not he starts shuffling back and forth between NY and Hartford remains to be seen.
Oh, he'll do everything in his power to make the team, but I do not think that it will be enough. Barring him absolutely blowing everyone's doors off in camp, I do not believe that his chances are strong. As we have seen before, strict performance is not enough of a component to make the team.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Actually, if the Rangers are to trade for a center, instead of trying to sign Drury/Gomez, Malik's contract could fit snuggly in such a deal. $2.5 million with one year to go...a team like TB, which is losing Sarich, could use a Malik on the backline, who is a better alternative than some of the similarly priced alternative on the open market.
I was more thinking of the fact that Jagr seems to want him here and Sather is not all that ready to deChezhize the team quite yet.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:08 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
I don't know about the cap hell. Actually, on that part I would tend to disagree. Callahan will be one of the our 3rd line wings, while, barring a trade, Dawes will be in Hartford.

I agree with Brook on Staal. As a matter of fact, not only do I think that nothing about him making the team is written in stone, I actually believe that there is very little chance that he will make the team out of camp. There is only one open spot amongst the top-6 defensemen. I think that Baranka & Pock will be given every opportunity (barring the signing of a UFA defenseman) to claim it. Staal would have to significantly outplay both of them in camp, IMO, to get a shot. I think that most likely scenario has Staal ticketed for Hartford. There, his play and whether or not the #6 defenseman would fall on his face, would dictate on just how long his stay in Hartford is to be.
Even if he out plays the competition I think he will be sent out for seasoning. It is the safe play with a player who has a huge upsize. You let him cut his teeth to the pro game in a less stressful environment and sometime after Thanksgiving when there either an injury, illness or someone just playing like crap you recall him. I think is the most logical scenario.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:09 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I was more thinking of the fact that Jagr seems to want him here and Sather is not all that ready to deChezhize the team quite yet.
I don't necessarily agree. I keep going back to the Jagr interview that made the rounds a few weeks ago. Jagr was quoted as saying management told him they would be pursuing a center for Shanahan, and a top flight D-man. Now, maybe I'm reading too much into that, but, I could see the Rangers going after a D-man like Hamrlik, and pairing him with Roszival, which, in my mind, is a definite upgrade over Malik. I don't think either the Rangers or Jagr are married to the idea of Malik have to be on the backline next year.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisenNYR View Post
If Sather goes after an expensive defensman, it has to be Souray. He brings offensive ability to a back line, and gives us a good point man on Power plays. Foote is a great player but, we have Staal, and we need more offense from the D. I too expect Foote to go back to Coloradoif he is bought out.
Souray will either return to MTL, or sign on the West coast. I don't the Rangers are a consideration for him, and he's not someone the Rangers should should overpay to bring here.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
If, as I said in the beginning, we take on a player like Foote, then I think Malik goes. He is too slow footed. He has what, one, two years left on his contract? Is the years wind down the contract becomes less of an issue, especially when you see players like Andy Sutton say that they expect to sign a 4 year, $16M contract, Malik's isn't that bad anymore.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:14 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
If, as I said in the beginning, we take on a player like Foote, then I think Malik goes. He is too slow footed. He has what, one, two years left on his contract? Is the years wind down the contract becomes less of an issue, especially when you see players like Andy Sutton say that they expect to sign a 4 year, $16M contract, Malik's isn't that bad anymore.
BINGO! For all the flaws we see as fans, Malik is STILL a bargain in today's market, especially with only one year left.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:15 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
get ossi
id take one of Ossi Vaananen, Scott Hannan, Cory Sarich or Vitali Vishnevski, all younger than Foote.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
id take one of Ossi Vaananen, Scott Hannan, Cory Sarich or Vitali Vishnevski, all younger than Foote.
Vishnevsky and Vaananen are not that good, and at best are #4-#5 defenseman.

Hannan and Sarich are good, but will be expensive, especially Hannan, who is one of the better defensive, shutdown defenders in the league.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:42 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:

I completely agree, there is no reason what so ever to rush this kid into the lineup. He's going to be here for a long time barring a trade or leaving via free agency. Let him determine his own pace instead of being thrusted into the lineup and thrown right into the fire. His play in training camp and then in Hartford will be the two determining factors.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I really hope you're wrong - not because I don't like you (I really do), but because that would mean that Cally can be relegated to the 4th line and Dawes would be in minors, where he has nothing to prove, and we'll be in cap space hell for a few.

Would I take a Stanley Cup? Absolutely. But I'm willing to wait a little and have the core that would allow us to win Stanley Cups in succession. And where do we stand organizationally as far as Stanley Cup contenders are concerned?
You may be willing to wait, but I don't think Sather is nearly as willing. This team will change a great deal after Jagr retires and until that happens, I think we are stuck with this win first with proven talent, but develop the prospects (mostly) in the minors mode. Does that mean no youth in the lineup? Probably not--one thing last season proved was that you need young legs in the lineup (think about how much better the team played with Callahan and Girardi in the lineup), so I don't think we will see Callahan getting less of a role than he got in the playoffs. But, I have my doubts about whether Staal fits in, especially because I think Sather will look long and hard for a skilled defenseman (Jas mentioned Hamrik--I think that would be a definite possiblity--having him and Roszival would make a mean pair).

And thanks for liking me!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
You may be willing to wait, but I don't think Sather is nearly as willing. This team will change a great deal after Jagr retires and until that happens, I think we are stuck with this win first with proven talent, but develop the prospects (mostly) in the minors mode. Does that mean no youth in the lineup? Probably not--one thing last season proved was that you need young legs in the lineup (think about how much better the team played with Callahan and Girardi in the lineup), so I don't think we will see Callahan getting less of a role than he got in the playoffs. But, I have my doubts about whether Staal fits in, especially because I think Sather will look long and hard for a skilled defenseman (Jas mentioned Hamrik--I think that would be a definite possiblity--having him and Roszival would make a mean pair).

id rather get someone younger than Hamrlik. Hamrlik is also injury prone.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
id rather get someone younger than Hamrlik. Hamrlik is also injury prone.

With the plethora of young D-men coming up, and Roszival looking like his becoming a mainstay, the Rangers aren't looking for a long term solution on the blueline. Hamrlik actually fits with the idea of the window the Rangers have left of the Jagr era. He's an upgrade on Malik, and probably gives the Rangers a legitimate top pairing on D. And, due to his age, the cost is probably prohibitive and short term.

Old
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
bubba5

Quote:
With the plethora of young D-men coming up, and Roszival looking like his becoming a mainstay, the Rangers aren't looking for a long term solution on the blueline. Hamrlik actually fits with the idea of the window the Rangers have left of the Jagr era. He's an upgrade on Malik, and probably gives the Rangers a legitimate top pairing on D. And, due to his age, the cost is probably prohibitive and short term.
I think i would pass on him

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post

Very good points as usual. Yes, I may be willing to wait, but Sather will not.

Where do we stand as far Cup contenders are concerned? As much as I hate to admit it, but I feel that Pittsburgh will surpass us this year in the Atlantic and the Devs still have Brodeur. Ottawa and Buffalo are still strong, even if Buffalo is going to lose one of Briere/Drury. No worries from the rest of the Eastern Conference. In the West there's a plethora of good teams - Anaheim, San Jose, Detroit, Nashville (and I could add Calgary and Vancouver to the list). Do we realistically have a chance to win the Cup in the next two years? I'm not an expert. I can't say.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Very good points as usual. Yes, I may be willing to wait, but Sather will not.

Where do we stand as far Cup contenders are concerned? As much as I hate to admit it, but I feel that Pittsburgh will surpass us this year in the Atlantic and the Devs still have Brodeur. Ottawa and Buffalo are still strong, even if Buffalo is going to lose one of Briere/Drury. No worries from the rest of the Eastern Conference. In the West there's a plethora of good teams - Anaheim, San Jose, Detroit, Nashville (and I could add Calgary and Vancouver to the list). Do we realistically have a chance to win the Cup in the next two years? I'm not an expert. I can't say.
The only person's opinion that matters in this equation is Sather's. So be afraid, be very afraid!

Seriously, I have no idea either. I look at the defense as it is presently put together and I can't imagine going all the way to the Finals. But, there's always Lundqvist, who's proven he can win behind this defense. Yet, even with all the firepower the team supposedly has, it has trouble scoring--both at even strength and on the powerplay. Bottom line, if the moon is in the 7th star and Jupiter alines with Mars, there might be a chance. If everythings works just right through 4 rounds.... And that's a lot to ask. But, I think that's what Sather is assuming and is building a team toward.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

I think Foote would be a great partner with Staal, if he was to crack NYR's lineup. a good expiienced verteran who has won a couple cups, or just one, but anyway the guy is aa good smart vet to learn from.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote