Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

The Finnish Flames

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
The Finnish Flames

As Calgary currrently has 3 Finns playing for them (Kiprusoff, Lydman, Nieminen), and three in the wings (Tomi Maki, Ville Hamalainen, and Jyri Marttinen), I was wondering which team in the NHL currently has the most Finns?

Also can anyone (posters from Finland!) give me any info on these prospects? Who is more likely to come over soon? Who has the most upside?

Old
03-01-2004, 02:38 AM
miklu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
As Calgary currrently has 3 Finns playing for them (Kiprusoff, Lydman, Nieminen), and three in the wings (Tomi Maki, Ville Hamalainen, and Jyri Marttinen), I was wondering which team in the NHL currently has the most Finns?

Also can anyone (posters from Finland!) give me any info on these prospects? Who is more likely to come over soon? Who has the most upside?
I can give you info on Jyri Marttinen as last time I saw him play on Saturday. He's a talented defenseman that has suffered lots of injuries. His back has been the biggest problem. Early in the season there was a threat that even his career could be in danger. That's why I can't see him play in NHL ever. I don't think Calgary wants to take a risk with him.

I think Edmonton had lots of Fins in their organization last season (I think it was even eight at some point), but now they have gave up on many of them (Niinimaa, Markkanen). This season Dallas has had the most Fins in their NHL team (Lehtinen, Numminen, Miettinen, Kapanen). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:37 AM
ES

Hämäläinen is playing with KalPa,Kuopio in Mestis. He is one of best scorers there, and Kalpa is second or third now in standings.

Marttinen has 6G and 13A this season, also 109 PIM. Scored 3 goals in 3 games at the start of the season, then a bit weaker, until last 11 games 7A.

Mäki has 6G and 5A this year. I don't know actually how he has played otherwise.

Both Marttinen and Mäki have made own season record this year.

Old
03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Mäki started the season really well, but like the rest of the team, has had a not-so-good spring. He has suffered from injuries (a couple of concussions and a ligament sprain of some sort) and just resently has looked better again. He's played most of the season as a center, which is not his natural position. After Jokerit acquired Anders Burström as their fourth line center, Tomi got to play as a wing for a while, but after the (possibly season ending) injury to Valtteri Filppula, he has been playing in the middle again.

Closed Thread