HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will OV take the second step?

Old
06-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Killiecrankie*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to assume 120pts from a winger. A centreman maybe, but not a winger. Wingers are at a statistical disadvantage.
Tell that to Jaromir Jagr

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
KenHiczkakenbalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
I don't know if AO will score 60 goals or hit 120 pts, but I am pretty sure if Washington won't start signing players and creating a competetive team, AO will be gone next year. There will be some GM who'll offer him somehting like 100-130 mil for next 10-15 years and I don't believe CAPS will match it.
Isn't there a cap for RFAs?

KenHiczkakenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensinPittsburgh View Post
Tell that to Jaromir Jagr
Well he sure as hell didn't do that for us.

I hate that man.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

it would be sweet if he could break Luc Robitaille's records for goals/pts for a LW.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 10:07 AM
slade

Quote:
I don't think it's reasonable to assume 120pts from a winger. A centreman maybe, but not a winger. Wingers are at a statistical disadvantage.

Speak of this disadvantage.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:02 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
If Semin is tearing the place up and is on pace for 50 goals like i think he will be, but if Semin has almost as many goals as Ovie then teams can't focus just on Ovie. They have to focus on Semin too.
I guess I should ask if you watched much of the Caps last season? Semin was tearing the place up. He was on pace for 50 goals and had only(if I recall correctly) two fewer goals than Ovechkin. At January 27. 2007 Semin had scored 17 goals in 19 games. He was at 29 goals in 46 games(47 team games). A 50 goal pace.
As of January 27, 2007 Ovechkin had 31 goals. Semin had almost as many goals as Ovechkin and was by far the hottest of the two.

I don't opposing gave much thought at all to taking their top defense players off Ovechkin for Semin.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorformaggio View Post
Isn't there a cap for RFAs?
I honestly don't know, there might be a cap for RFA's.

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
I don't know if AO will score 60 goals or hit 120 pts, but I am pretty sure if Washington won't start signing players and creating a competetive team, AO will be gone next year. There will be some GM who'll offer him somehting like 100-130 mil for next 10-15 years and I don't believe CAPS will match it.
The Islanders? Didn't they just unload Yashin? Too bad Milbury is gone.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
I honestly don't know, there might be a cap for RFA's.
Not for RFAs specifically. There is a maximum contract, which is 20% of the salary cap ceiling.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Count me in the group that believes Ovy could EASILY hit 60 with an elite center setting him up. 120 points might be a stretch unless we get some more finishers on the team. Certainly reachable though.

I honestly think Ovy could hit 70 goals someday if he's playing with the right players. Once he goes from having to create all the offense on his own, to having linemates that can generate off the rush like he can, the sky is the limit.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Count me in the group that believes Ovy could EASILY hit 60 with an elite center setting him up. 120 points might be a stretch unless we get some more finishers on the team. Certainly reachable though.

I honestly think Ovy could hit 70 goals someday if he's playing with the right players. Once he goes from having to create all the offense on his own, to having linemates that can generate off the rush like he can, the sky is the limit.
A big misnomer about Ovechkin's shot totals is that they're the result of a lack of accuracy rather than the result of a lack of time and space. Ovechkin has a very hard accurate shot, top 3 easily that would benefit largely from a capable playmaking center. In other words, I totally agree. ;P

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 04:14 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:

Thats the question : Is that something that will actually help him out or is it mostly his own style of play of doing almost everything all by himself? I mean, you rarely see OV outside of the play waiting for a play to come at him... He's ALWAYS going everywhere to get that damn puck... He likes to rush it, dump and chase it, dig it, shoot it...

Brett Hull was that kind of player who was better with an Adam Oates or Doug Weight... Would OV be?????????

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Once again, a message board poster is making up Ovi's mind for him. I guess they think that just because he's an incredibly talented athlete, he's gonna be greedy and impatient and will bolt at the first opportunity. I wonder if any of them have read any of the many newspaper and magazine articles about Ovi off the ice, especially the one in the Washington Post Magazine. That article made clear how close Alex is to his family. I think anything regarding his future will be discussed with them, and they'll have tremendous influence over him. If Tatiana Ovechkina said to him "you play for rest of career in Washington" he'd probably do it.

Only 3 people in this world know what he's thinking, and as far as I know, none of them posts here

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
Once again, a message board poster is making up Ovi's mind for him. I guess they think that just because he's an incredibly talented athlete, he's gonna be greedy and impatient and will bolt at the first opportunity. I wonder if any of them have read any of the many newspaper and magazine articles about Ovi off the ice, especially the one in the Washington Post Magazine. That article made clear how close Alex is to his family. I think anything regarding his future will be discussed with them, and they'll have tremendous influence over him. If Tatiana Ovechkina said to him "you play for rest of career in Washington" he'd probably do it.

Only 3 people in this world know what he's thinking, and as far as I know, none of them posts here
I agree with you that it's pure speculation that Ovy will be unhappy playing in a losing atmosphere...but there's no getting around the fact that Ovy likes to win and is a super competitive athlete and to be stuck in a losing situation, it's a no-brainer that he'll want out

I really hope a deal is hammered out before the end of next season so I don't have to read post after post about some team trying to poach Ovechkin from the Caps with a ridiculous contract...there's no reason why the Caps wouldn't match an offer, the money is there

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Thats the question : Is that something that will actually help him out or is it mostly his own style of play of doing almost everything all by himself? I mean, you rarely see OV outside of the play waiting for a play to come at him... He's ALWAYS going everywhere to get that damn puck... He likes to rush it, dump and chase it, dig it, shoot it...

Brett Hull was that kind of player who was better with an Adam Oates or Doug Weight... Would OV be?????????

There's no question that Ovy is a finisher of the highest level. The problem is, that so far he's been the only elite talent on the ice (besides Semin for short stints last season), so we don't really know how he'll play with others who can/will carry the puck. In my opinion, he's a beast barrelling down the left wing with the puck. But, coming out of the defensive zone with the puck, through the neutral zone he's not he's not as effective. He doesn't have the slick handle that Semin or say a Gomez has to elude defenders at the blueline. Not to say he's not good at it, but I think he's got a ways to go before he's elite at that aspect of the game.

If we gave him someone like Oates to set him up....jeez...he might score 80!

Personally, I would prefer a little less of a passer of and Oates quality and someone who could finish a little better than Oates (the guy wouldn't shoot at an empty net!). Ovy's shots create a lot of rebounds so whoever he plays with, if he can be a decent finisher, he could score 30 easily.

Hell....he turned Zubrus into a 20 goal guy!

Old
06-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
Speak of this disadvantage.
The centreman commands greater control of the ice. He has better views/angles to work with from a positional standpoint which (generally) leads to more points. These are things we can and have observed over time.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
The centreman commands greater control of the ice. He has better views/angles to work with from a positional standpoint which (generally) leads to more points. These are things we can and have observed over time.
I think the 60 goal mark is much more realistic than the 120 point mark.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
KenHiczkakenbalz

Quote:
Personally, I would prefer a little less of a passer of and Oates quality and someone who could finish a little better than Oates (the guy wouldn't shoot at an empty net!). Ovy's shots create a lot of rebounds so whoever he plays with, if he can be a decent finisher, he could score 30 easily.

Hell....he turned Zubrus into a 20 goal guy!
He turned Chris Clark into a 30-goal guy!

Adam Oates did score 45 goals one year (with 97 assists! and 32 PIM!). It's an aberration, but worth mentioning.

ed: I can never spell "aberration" right. I can't remember if there are two Bs or two Rs.

KenHiczkakenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorformaggio View Post
He turned Chris Clark into a 30-goal guy!

Adam Oates did score 45 goals one year (with 97 assists! and 32 PIM!). It's an abberation, but worth mentioning.

Yep....I remember those days of him playing with Neely in Boston. Must have been before Oates starting carving his stick down to about 6 inches of blade.

Let's not forget Clarkie got some junk goals playing with Semin too.

Old
06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Faktisti*

if OV takes next step, it means that he would must be the best player in the world

i think he has taken his steps. he is one of the bests in the world

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:48 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiskaaja View Post
if OV takes next step, it means that he would must be the best player in the world

So you think he CANT/WONT get better in his late 20s???

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

No not really....it might mean he's the best goal scorer in the world though.

Old
06-18-2007, 09:03 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:

he's got to work on his defensive game and his stickwork...he tries to pull the same move off every shift and defenders aren't buying it anymore

if he has a halfway decent center, his goal/assist should raise about 10 each

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Faktisti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
So you think he CANT/WONT get better in his late 20s???
no. i mean that he is only o human and is mayby the most dangerous player in NHL

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote