HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Just for fun: Ryan Smyth

Old
06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Just for fun: Ryan Smyth

What if on that weekend last year up in Edmonton , Sather and Lowe were sitting around enjoying the festivities and it came up that Kev was looking to take the Oilers in a different direction and was likely NOT going to resign Smyth. Sather, who loves Ryan Smyth, thinks about it and concludes that ole Edmonton would look poorly on him if he were to steal the beloved Smyth for the Rangers, not to mention not wanting to give up the goods to make such a trade, so they just for laughs dream up a scenario of the Oilers offering Smyth to the whacky Islanders for all their picks and prospects at the deadlne so the Oilers could get a FAT return and than Sather could just sign Smyth as a free agent in the summer.

Everyone wins!!!

Except the Islanders

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
What if on that weekend last year up in Edmonton , Sather and Lowe were sitting around enjoying the festivities and it came up that Kev was looking to take the Oilers in a different direction and was likely NOT going to resign Smyth. Sather, who loves Ryan Smyth, thinks about it and concludes that ole Edmonton would look poorly on him if he were to steal the beloved Smyth for the Rangers, not to mention not wanting to give up the goods to make such a trade, so they just for laughs dream up a scenario of the Oilers offering Smyth to the whacky Islanders for all their picks and prospects at the deadlne so the Oilers could get a FAT return and than Sather could just sign Smyth as a free agent in the summer.

Everyone wins!!!

Except the Islanders
from what i understand the isles arent going to be overbid, theyll give him what he wants, the question is, does he want long island.

i still think captain canada is going back to canada.

FWIW though, hes exactly the kind of player the Rangers would want. he does all the little things, and has great leadership qualities. still though, i dont see the rangers giving him a 7 year 49 million dollar deal which i wouldnt be surprised if the isles offered him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
from what i understand the isles arent going to be overbid, theyll give him what he wants, the question is, does he want long island.

FWIW though, hes exactly the kind of player the Rangers would want. he does all the little things, and has great leadership qualities. still though, i dont see the rangers giving him a 7 year 49 million dollar deal which i wouldnt be surprised if the isles offered him.
$$$$ might not be his only interest. Sather did draft him. He was Sathers stick boy on the bench during the Edmonton Glory days. Makes a nice story. He certainly is a great North South player, a leader in the room, gritty.

There is some precedent for GREAT Oilers spending some quality time as NY Rangers, once moving on from O town becomes the reality.

Old
06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
OpAck

Quote:

Everyone wins!!!

Except the Islanders
Yeah, just like when Don Maloney had secret dealings with the Rangers to sabotage the Isles when he traded for Hextall in 93, which left Glenn Healy (the goalie who carried us to the Conference Finals a year earlier) unprotected in the expansion draft and was gobbled up by Anaheim, then traded to Tampa, then somehow found his way onto the Rangers within the span of a few hours! And how Maloney just let Ray Ferraro go on his merry way and sign with you guys. I'M ON TO HIM! Hehehe!

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Yeah, just like when Don Maloney had secret dealings with the Rangers to sabotage the Isles when he traded for Hextall in 93
Hey Hextall was a WONDERFUL part of the Rangers magical cup run in 94!!!! He was a BIG part of the Rangers Islanders series. You never know how these things will work out. That was a fun series though.

Some things are just destiny

Old
06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Avs want Smyth really,really bad

Colorado is much closer to western Canada than New York is

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
blue2noise

If we were to sign Smyth, then Shanny would not be needed.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 02:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Avs want Smyth really,really bad

Colorado is much closer to western Canada than New York is
Of course you could make the argument that the Rangers are much closer to the Stanley Cup than Colorado is.

06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Of course you could make the argument that the Rangers are much closer to the Stanley Cup than Colorado is.
Are the Avs much closer to the Cup than the Rangers?The Avs barely missed the playoffs and the Rangers barely made the playoffs.It took a miracle run for the Rangers to make the playoffs

I heard the Colorado tidbit today on Leafs Lunch with Darren Dreger who said Smyth is not gonna accept less than what the Oilers offered him which was 5 years at $5.4-$5.5 million.Do you wanna pay a 31 year old Smyth with alot of tread on his tires $30 million bucks over 5 years?

Does Smyth want to play in New York?Does Mr.Western Canada want to play so far away from his precious Edmonton?

He could go to Detroit

Quote:
If Ryan Smyth is smart and gets the same sort of money to sign in either Detroit or Colorado, it's a no-brainer. He should take the Wings.

They're always in the playoff hunt and he talks about winning being important. It should be at 31. Plus, does Smytty want to play for the Avs, which means playing against the Oilers eight times a year in the Northwest Division? That might be a little uncomfortable
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...0a54cb&k=11147

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 02:30 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
If we were to sign Smyth, then Shanny would not be needed.
id love Smyth, he drives to the net on the PP, we can use help in that regard as well.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 04:03 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Hey Hextall was a WONDERFUL part of the Rangers magical cup run in 94!!!! He was a BIG part of the Rangers Islanders series. You never know how these things will work out. That was a fun series though.

Some things are just destiny
OH! Now the pieces are falling into place. Maloney met with Ranger's brass (would that be Keenan or was he not brought in yet?) with a plan to dismantle the Islanders by releasing Healy to Anaheim. But Anaheim wouldn't go along with a trade to the Rangers, so they traded him to Tampa, who then traded Healy to the Rangers. They then talked to Hextall, who would say that he would blow the Isles season if he got traded there. The Rangers also asked about Ferraro and Flatley, and Maloney said he would let them go when his contract ended and then hopefully Maloney would be able to join the Rangers soon after. I figured you guys out!

Yeah, that was certainly a "fun" series watching your team absolutely slaughter my team. Yikes.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 04:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
OH! Now the pieces are falling into place. Maloney met with Ranger's brass (would that be Keenan or was he not brought in yet?) with a plan to dismantle the Islanders by releasing Healy to Anaheim. But Anaheim wouldn't go along with a trade to the Rangers, so they traded him to Tampa, who then traded Healy to the Rangers. They then talked to Hextall, who would say that he would blow the Isles season if he got traded there. The Rangers also asked about Ferraro and Flatley, and Maloney said he would let them go when his contract ended and then hopefully Maloney would be able to join the Rangers soon after. I figured you guys out!

Yeah, that was certainly a "fun" series watching your team absolutely slaughter my team. Yikes.
Keenan was hired as coach before the start of the 03-04 season. Neil Smith was the GM.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
geisenNYR

I would love for the Rangers to sign Smyth, But I don;t think anyone will outbid the Islanders. With the buyout of Yashin, they have the money to spends and will definitely give Smyth the long term deal he wants, and the money he wants.
If they signed him, it would mean that Shanny is probably gone. I would rather have Shannahan than smyth because he has more cup experience.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

Next to Drury(1A) or Briere (1B) he is the next guy I want too. Do not under estimate the Moose here. Messier can be the unoffical go between here. He's not offical associated with the NYRs and he can inpart what it is like to play for the NYRs. I think Slats is going to target him. Do not be surprised if he wears NYRs blue next season. He is the ideal age as a bridge between the youngsters and the aged, but young vet that a player like Lundmark was suppose to be.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Next to Drury(1A) or Briere (1B) he is the next guy I want too. Do not under estimate the Moose here. Messier can be the unoffical go between here. He's not offical associated with the NYRs and he can inpart what it is like to play for the NYRs. I think Slats is going to target him. Do not be surprised if he wears NYRs blue next season. He is the ideal age as a bridge between the youngsters and the aged, but young vet that a player like Lundmark was suppose to be.

Ryan is exactly the type of player Sather loves. He drafted him. He's watched him mature, turn into a leader. Rennys been talkin up the N/S game and we all saw what the injection of Averys grit did for the personality of the team.

Ryan Smyth would be awesome for the Rangers, and if signed, would come here because HE CHOOSES TO BE HERE. Remember he was traded to the Islanders. He was drafted by the Oilers. Now for the 1st time in a long time. He gets to choose.

Also at the expense of the Islanders, which would be the CHERRY on top.

Sather and Lowe schooling Garth Snow.

Shanny may be back, but realisticly maybe ONE more year. Smyth will be around for a while.

Shanny has played RW and LW. Both quality players, leaders with great character.

I believe there could be room for both.