HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap Gurus: Help me out with this.

Old
06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
markzab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Cap Gurus: Help me out with this.

Below is the reported breakdown on the Timmonen contract...

year 1: $8 Million
year 2: $8 Million
year 3: $7 Million
year 4: $7 Million
year 5: $5 Million
year 6: $3 Million

Does this mean that if we trade him after his 4th year the team that we trade him to will only have a cap hit of 5m in the 5th year and 3m in the 6th? If so this makes the deal even better because if he does falter by the age of 36 then his cap hit would be low enough (and even lower with a higher cap) that we'd still be able to trade him to a team for a decent return.

Am I onto something here?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:54 PM
MojoJojo

No. cap hit is the average salary. Even if we trade him to another team in the last few years of his contract, that team will only have to pay him the 3 or 5 mil per, but will still be stuck with the entire 6.3 mil cap hit.

Actually that makes trading him to a cash strapped team that doesnt care as much about the cap a real possibility in the last few years of his contract.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Ice22*

No 4.22 to the cap for all 6 years.

Ice22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Below is the reported breakdown on the Timmonen contract...

year 1: $8 Million
year 2: $8 Million
year 3: $7 Million
year 4: $7 Million
year 5: $5 Million
year 6: $3 Million

Does this mean that if we trade him after his 4th year the team that we trade him to will only have a cap hit of 5m in the 5th year and 3m in the 6th? If so this makes the deal even better because if he does falter by the age of 36 then his cap hit would be low enough (and even lower with a higher cap) that we'd still be able to trade him to a team for a decent return.

Am I onto something here?

not he cap hit will be the same: the average of all 6 years. so you will pay him $6.3 as a 38 year old regardless of how well he performs or not. that's why it's a risky deal (ala NYI and Dipietro)

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodybutcalgary View Post
not he cap hit will be the same: the average of all 6 years. so you will pay him $6.3 as a 38 year old regardless of how well he performs or not. that's why it's a risky deal (ala NYI and Dipietro)
no we dont pay him 6.3, we pay him 3. his cap hit is 6.3. and he will only be 38 for a few months of his last contract year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:42 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice22 View Post
No 4.22 to the cap for all 6 years.
Wrong player.

Old
06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
No. cap hit is the average salary. Even if we trade him to another team in the last few years of his contract, that team will only have to pay him the 3 or 5 mil per, but will still be stuck with the entire 6.3 mil cap hit.

Actually that makes trading him to a cash strapped team that doesnt care as much about the cap a real possibility in the last few years of his contract.
I don't understand how that makes sense though for the next team. Obviously for our contract you average the whole salary out over the 6 years and that's how we get the 6.3 hit over 6, but once he is traded wouldn't the league look at the remaining balance of 8m and take that average since it's a new team? I mean, wouldn't that make more sense?

Old
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I don't understand how that makes sense though for the next team. Obviously for our contract you average the whole salary out over the 6 years and that's how we get the 6.3 hit over 6, but once he is traded wouldn't the league look at the remaining balance of 8m and take that average since it's a new team? I mean, wouldn't that make more sense?
One of the reasons that's done is to stop teams from excessively front or backloading a contract.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
One of the reasons that's done is to stop teams from excessively front or backloading a contract.
Ah, well that makes more sense now. Thanks DL.

Old
06-18-2007, 06:53 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
No, that would be a loophole in the cap if you could do that. I trade you my veteran with a big cap hit, you trade me yours, suddenly we both have a lot more cap room. frontloading still is sneaky though, because he could retire or we could trade him to a team that doesnt care as much about the cap as about the total cost of their payroll.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Does anyone know if Hartnell's contract is evenly balanced throughout the full term, or ..?

Amen evil king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
McNasty

what about buying him out after 4 years. He would be owed 8 million dollars. So would we be resonsible for 2/3 of that? or 2/3 his cap hit. The former makes sense because otherwise why front load the deal so much.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
what about buying him out after 4 years. He would be owed 8 million dollars. So would we be resonsible for 2/3 of that? or 2/3 his cap hit. The former makes sense because otherwise why front load the deal so much.
That's an interesting point. Let's look at both scenarios as if we were to buy him out at the end of 4 years...

If it's 2/3 of cap hit it'd be 2/3 of 12.6m = 8.4m buyout.
If it's 2/3 of total remaining on contract it'd be 2/3 of 8m = 5.32m

Obviously the 2nd number looks much better than the 1st number.

If we did buy him out how much of a cap hit would we take in those remaining years?

Old
06-18-2007, 09:43 PM
McNasty

I think it would be the 5.32m/4 years 1.08million cap hit. If thats the case thats a real slick move by Holmgren he can shave off 5 mil in cap room by buying him out.

Old
06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
markzab

Quote:
I think it would be the 5.32m/4 years 1.08million cap hit. If thats the case thats a real slick move by Holmgren he can shave off 5 mil in cap room by buying him out.
Why 4 years?

Old
06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
McNasty

im pretty sure when you buyout a players contract the amount your responsible for is 2/3 the remaining amount owed spread out over the remaining years x2. I think Yashins buyout is spread over 8 years and he had 4 remaining.

Old
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
markzab

Well in that case it'd be a great move to buy him out. Obviously we would hope he kept playing well throughout his whole contract or we could trade him, but to only have a small cap hit like that on a buyout is great. I guess that's another MAJOR advantage to frontloading.

Old
06-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Gags1288

The salary is the last season matters for two reasons:
1) As has already been mentioned, if you wanted to trade him to cap strapped team then they could reach the salary floor, for instance, without having to pay the player what his cap hit is.

2) If Timonen's play were to fall off significantly in his final year then the Flyers would be able to waive him (assuming he doesn't retire) and only be on the hook for paying him 3 mil as opposed to 5 or 6.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
We wouldn't need to buy him out. B/c he signed the deal before he turned 35, if we waive him and send him to the Phantoms or he retires, his salary does not count against the cap. So, while buying him out might save a little actual $, it would be more costly for cap purposes to buy him out. Knowing Mr. Snider and the Flyers, they would rather pay a little more real $ than take the cap hit.

#31 is offline   Reply With Quote