HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who are your top 5 at pick 17?

Old
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Who are your top 5 at pick 17?

Assuming the below players are gone by pick #17. Who are your top 5 players you would want.

1 Patrick Kane RW 5-9/165
2 Kyle Turris C-R 6-0/170
3 Jakub Voracek RW 6-1/200
4 Karl Alzner D 6-2/205
5 James vanRiemsdyk C/RW 6-2/205
6 Alexei Cherepanov RW
7 Kevin Shattenkirk D 6-0/185
8 Ryan McDonagh D 6-1/200
9 Sam Gagner C 5-10/185
10 Logan Couture C 6-0/195
11 Bill Sweatt LW 5-11/185
12 Zach Hamill

Mine are

1-Backlund
2-Eller
3-Petrecki
4-Esposito
5-Gillies

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

1. Sutter
2. Ellerby
3. Petricki
4. Backlund
5. Espo

Sleeper: Hjalmarsson

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
1. Sutter
2. Ellerby
3. Petricki
4. Backlund
5. Espo

Sleeper: Hjalmarsson
Sutter is not even close to the top of the first round, much less the middle, that would be a HUGE reach.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 11:53 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Sutter is not even close to the top of the first round, much less the middle, that would be a HUGE reach.
I'd like to see peoples opinions of who'd they want given a certain pool, not really according to what the projections are. After the draft then I'd like to compare to see who's really happy with the Rangers pick.

Beyond the top 7 picks projections are rarely accurate, especially this draft. It'll be wide open.

My pick for most likely to be drafted by the Rangers is Logan MacMillan

Old
06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Here's the guys I do NOT want at the 17th pick:

Sutter, Espo, Gillies, Repik

I would be happy with nearly anyone else. Gillies and Repik are reachs there and Sutter and Espo are just big no-no's to me.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
danroy33

Jess Rubenstein made an interesting point over at Blueshirt,the Rangers are in a position where they could package picks out of the first round in hopes of having more picks in next year's deeper draft. If we're not going to move up to the top five, I wouldn't mind trading #17 and say a third for a first next year.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by danroy33 View Post
Jess Rubenstein made an interesting point over at Blueshirt,the Rangers are in a position where they could package picks out of the first round in hopes of having more picks in next year's deeper draft. If we're not going to move up to the top five, I wouldn't mind trading #17 and say a third for a first next year.
And then we could package next years TWO first round picks for a 2009 first round pick and have a team other than ourselves to root for to win the lottery for Tavares!!

Old
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

1)Espo
2)Espo
3Petrecki
4)Espo
5)Espo

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I don't think too many teams will be offering up next years 1st rounders for this years. If anything Sather will trade down with the 1st or 2nd rounder for more picks in this draft.

Top 5 for #17 will be in my draft preview which I should be posting in the next few days.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Onion Boy

Knowing very little about the draft (just started reading some draft guides a few weeks ago), mine would be:

1) Backlund
2) Mayorov
3) Eller
4) Esposito
5) Repik

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DarthSather99

Quote:
You don't think other GM's know it is a deeper draft? Why would they be willing to trade their's. I think this scenario is very unlikely. A trade down in this draft is 10 times more likely.

Despite what people are saying this will end up being a decent draft. Alot of players with tremendous skills will be taken late, they just had a bad year.

Old
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't think too many teams will be offering up next years 1st rounders for this years. If anything Sather will trade down with the 1st or 2nd rounder for more picks in this draft.

Top 5 for #17 will be in my draft preview which I should be posting in the next few days.
I agree, I think the second rounder is definetly getting traded down unless the Rangers are knocked over by who dropped to them in the second round.

Old
06-19-2007, 12:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Disagree. I want Sutter.

This is MY top 5.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Disagree. I want Sutter.

This is MY top 5.
What has Sutter shown to warrant a top 20 selection?

Old
06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Here's the guys I do NOT want at the 17th pick:

Sutter, Espo, Gillies, Repik

I would be happy with nearly anyone else. Gillies and Repik are reachs there and Sutter and Espo are just big no-no's to me.
Jon I'm not too draft savvy, but other than some character issues doesn't Esposito posess the most star quality of the guys available at 17? Correct me if I'm wrong about either him having other problems or anything else.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Jon I'm not too draft savvy, but other than some character issues doesn't Esposito posess the most star quality of the guys available at 17? Correct me if I'm wrong about either him having other problems or anything else.
I don't think so at all. It's all hype from a few years ago.

I don't see anything more than 2nd line center upside from Espo. He's certainly done nothing to show he can be anything more, IMO.

Old
06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
He has major defensive problems (most rookies do, BUT along with his attitude problems it is reasonable to predict he will not turn this around) and along with his attitude problems come the fact that he thinks he can do it all on his own and will not pass. Espo was on a line with Radulov last year, which is why his numbers were huge, Radulov found him and everyone around him like crazy and also potted any puck you put in his direction. This year, without Rads, his numbers dropped significantly. And on top of that, the Remparts dropped significantly, despite having the player most people referred to as the consensus #1 before the season. Esposito has great speed and can dangle, but his hands are not quite as soft as people thought last year, and he has major defensive and attitude problems. He is not the kind of player the new Rangers organization has been looking for. Yes, he does have star power, but he is the greatest risk of all the players in the first round IMO, with upside not high enough to warrant the risk entailed.

Old
06-19-2007, 12:38 PM
TomLaidlaw

1-Petrecki

I mentioned this in the draft thread but I would love for Petrecki to drop to us. I know we are deep with defense prospects and we are lacking top end forward prospects but the more I research this kid the more I like him. Especially in a draft where there is such uncertainity outside the top 3-5 I would rather take a chance on the kid who plays with a real nasty streak. He is from NY too.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Here's my top 5 with brief scouting reports from different sources I gathered from here, ISS, Redline etc.

In this which in all I have read about it is one of the weaker drafts in the past 10 years, I think the Rangers will go with the BPA approach, much as they did last season. With that here are my top 5 and why.

Purposely left out was Angelo Esposito, as I feel he will fall in the top 15.

1) Bill Sweatt - USA U-18
Position: LW
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 180
- Very good speed
- Tremendous job on the PK
- Hard on the forecheck
- Impressed with his work ethic
Not a flashy player, but certainly a player who has some skill and is willing to work hard in the battle areas. Sweatt represented the United States in the 2007 IIHF U-20 World Jr Championships in Sweden, helping the Americans win a bronze medal. Sweatt posses soft hands and is very smart with his decisions with the puck.
Fastest skater in the 2007 draft. Redline report, and McKeens both have him in the top 15 I believe. Orignally listed as a safe-pick, but has turned his game up a notch, and many consider him To be worthy of top 15 honors…coincidentally other draft guides have him listed as far back as the early to mid 2nd rounds.
Most scouts have echoed the same sentiments on him. One of the safer plays, and in a weak draft IMO that’s a good avenue to pursue.

2) Nick Petrecki - Omaha
Position: Defense
Height: 6'03"
Wieght: 213
- Big, strong, very intimidating
- Very good shot
- A physical presence
- Good upper body strenght
- Good skater with mobility
Does everything hard- passes, shooting, finishing checks. Has good positioning vs the rush, does a nice job taking away the middle of the ice. He shoots the puck like a pro via bullet wrist shot and gets his shot through. He as well displays general nastiness that is indeed impressive and as a result it allows him to gain extra space…meaning he isn’t afraid to drop the mitts to defend himself or his teammates.

Not that I feel going after another defenseman in this particular draft is the right direction, but for Petrecki, in all I have read about him seems to be one of the more complete defenseman, and if he slips to 17 and Sweatt is already gone he'd be a second choice.

3) Kevin Shattenkirk - USA U-18
Position: Defense
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 193
-Effortless skater with acceleration
-Great anticipation
-Strong on stick
-Good rushing defenseman
Shattenkirk encompasses all the that will surely make him a successful professional. His skating, shot, puck handling, hockey sense are first-rate. He is a smart and efficient decision-maker and has demonstrated his ability to carry or pass the puck out of the defensive zone with ease. His offensive tendencies can create some defensive concerns, but his foot speed allows him to recover most of the time.
One of the best pure skaters in the draft.

Another defenseman that could slip down to 17, and from what scouts are saying he is taylor-made for the new NHL. Great skating, great passer, and excellent on ice awareness.

4) Colton Gillies - Saskatoon
Position: Center
Weight: 185
- Very good skating ability
- Not Flashy
- Dangerous player on the forecheck
- Drives hard to the net
- Questionable hands
Gillies will be a player that teams can be assured of playing in the league for a long time. The number one attraction for this player is his combination of his outstanding size and skill. He's not a flashy offensive player, but has shown increased confidence with the puck as the year went on. Unproven offensive production is a concern however with his solid overall package, he continues to be a favorite of ISS
The knock on Gillies is if he can't score in the WHL, how can he score at the NHL level? Other than his lack of scoring, he is a very strong prospect. Granted the big kids usually take a little longer to develop. Although he was ranked in the top 12 in some guides, he might be available come the Rangers turn to pick. Has been compared to Trevor Linden, or Chad Kilger. Colton is the nephew of Ex-Islander and Hall of Famer Clark Gillies.

5) Lars Eller - Frohlunda HC Jr.
Weight: 195
- Excellent puck skills
- Very good shot
- Good vision
- Soft hands
There is a lot of interest in this skilled Danish winger and rightfully so. While most NHL scouts were gearing up for the WJC in Sweden, more than a few could be seen at the World Junior U20 Championship Group A in Odense, Denmark. Eller impressed scouts with his speed and skill. Finished with 7 points in 5 games. One area Eller must improve is his play along the boards.
Eller was one of the best overall conditioned athletes at last weekends draft combine in Toronto. He has been ranked anywhere from 10th-30th from different draft guides.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Jacques Strap

My top five:

1) Eller
2) Backlund
3) Petrecki
4) Espo
5) Mayarov

Sleeper picks: Hjalmarsson, Nash, Moller

If not, trade down and pick up another second or third round pick.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Esposito

No way a guy drops that far of the radar without some tangible reasons. Kids got some skills

If he's still available you grab him and let the Pack make a man out of him

06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

1) Bill Sweatt - USA U-18
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 180
- Very good speed
- Tremendous job on the PK
- Hard on the forecheck
- Impressed with his work ethic
Not a flashy player, but certainly a player who has some skill and is willing to work hard in the battle areas. Sweatt represented the United States in the 2007 IIHF U-20 World Jr Championships in Sweden, helping the Americans win a bronze medal. Sweatt posses soft hands and is very smart with his decisions with the puck.
Fastest skater in the 2007 draft. Redline report, and McKeens both have him in the top 15 I believe. Orignally listed as a safe-pick, but has turned his game up a notch, and many consider him To be worthy of top 15 honors…coincidentally other draft guides have him listed as far back as the early to mid 2nd rounds.
Most scouts have echoed the same sentiments on him. One of the safer plays, and in a weak draft IMO that’s a good avenue to pursue.

Reminds me of the scouting report for Rico Fata.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
For everyone who wants Esposito, watch his scouting video and then tell me you still want him.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...HLPage&id=9899

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Esposito

No way a guy drops that far of the radar without some tangible reasons. Kids got some skills

If he's still available you grab him and let the Pack make a man out of him
Kinda like Parise? anything can happen, teams have different preferences.

Old
06-19-2007, 02:56 PM
DarthSather99

Lionhound.

You picked two players that were unavailable in my scenario.