HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FLA fans need your opinion.

Old
06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
FLA fans need your opinion.

hey Florida, im really really sorry to bother you. But i have a few questions.

I am wandering about the availability of Ruslan Salei, (not Jay-Bo, Horton or Jokinen, didn't see that coming from an Oiler fan did you. )

1.) Is he available? Or would you think he would be, i here he was in the second paring in the second half of the year with Allen taking his Top-pairing spot.

2.) Would you call him a Puck-Mover?? I checked TSN, but all they talk about is his amazing Hitting (is it really that good??)

3.) How is he defensively?? (TSN states he makes blunders in his own zone, not good with The Oilers.)

4.) How is his passing and/or Offensive Skills??

Again, really sorry to bother you, please do not get angry, i dont know much about your team.

Mods feel free to do anything with this Thread at your discretion. Thank you.

06-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I am wandering about the availability of Ruslan Salei, (not Jay-Bo, Horton or Jokinen, didn't see that coming from an Oiler fan did you. )

1.) Is he available? Or would you think he would be, i here he was in the second paring in the second half of the year with Allen taking his Top-pairing spot.

2.) Would you call him a Puck-Mover?? I checked TSN, but all they talk about is his amazing Hitting (is it really that good??)

3.) How is he defensively?? (TSN states he makes blunders in his own zone, not good with The Oilers.)

Again, really sorry to bother you, please do not get angry, i dont know much about your team.

1. I would think he's not available only because he signed a 4 year contract with us last season and likely plans to stick around. He's not untouchable, but there's just not a good reason to move him.

2. No I wouldn't call him a puck mover. He's a stay at home defenseman. He is a very good hitter, very strong. In fact, what stood out more was when someone tried to check him and normally bounced right off. It was fun to see, he is not knocked down easily. He will hit, not fight.

3. He is good defensively, any blunders he might make could be a dumb penalty here and there. But was he responsible for a lot of goals on us? No, I would leans towards that he was not. He did his job.

4. Passing is nothing special but not bad. Offensively, he exploded last year. He never had anything close to what he did last season and we put him on the point on the PP as Van Ryn couldn't handle it with his injuries. He did way better offensively than ever planned. I don't know that he can do that again, but it was pretty shocking, he wasn't brought in for offense but it was a nice surprise.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:

Defensively id say hes rock solid and he sure knows how to lay the hits . He can play pp and pk . As for offense he had his career high in points this season but we look at him more for a defensive defensemen role . He has a great shot , not always accurate but its good . I wouldnt want to trade him but i guess he is available for the right price .

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Mogo
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 814
He's not untouchable but we'd want a top 4 dman for him in return. So I doubth anyone looking at Salei would have one available as they would be looking to add one. He is a rock

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Yeah case in point on the offensive thing:

His career high for points previously was the last season with Anaheim, 19 points.

Last season with Florida, he had 32. Which for a defenseman is a big boost. 6 goals, 26 assists. He was a -13, though that's not entirely his fault. He obviously had top 4 ice time, he was just overshined by Allen in the 2nd half, which isn't a bad thing. He had 102 PIM and played in all 82 games.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:

1. I think he could be traded. I doubt it though.
2. He can hit. Wouldn't call it amazing.
3. He is solid defensively but he takes too many penalties.
4. I think he had a career year offensively.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:

1) Sure, he's availabe for the right price but he's probably our #3 defenseman right now and we're happy with him and not looking to move him.

2)I wouldn't call his hitting amazing. If anything, Allen's hitting is amazing. Salei is a solid hitter, won't shy away from physical contact, that's for sure. He is a good puck mover, though near the end of the season he tried to do too much offensively and it ended up backfiring on him. When he plays within himself, he's pretty solid both ways.

3)He is solid in his own zone. Again, towards the end of the season he started making passes he wouldn't normally make and pinching in too much, and he got burnt a lot. When he plays his game he's really good. He's a little slow, so quicker forwards give him trouble down low and sometimes he'll take those clutching/hooking penalties, but for the most part he's pretty smart and dependable in the D zone.

4)Good passing skills like I said, can move the puck up ice effectively, and can actually be pretty good on the PP. He's pretty crafty offensively, he really showed what he can do offensively last year when he was finally given the chance. Has a good hard shot. For most of the year, he pinched in well. He knew when to do it and when not to. But like I said earlier, in the last quarter or so of the season his decision making really broke down.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:56 PM
swdbuzz

The biggest negative I have with him is that he is very prone to taking "lazy" penalties when he is caught out of position... lots of lazy hooking.... that being said, a few other Panthers can be called out for the same thing.
That being said, overall he is a solid top 4 defenseman who you can play in all situations if need be.

swdbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:42 AM
harv3317

i agree with everyone. solid defenseman. good hitter, a veteran who doesn't get flustered. i really like him and we have him on a good contract!!! would'nt want to trade him unless we got really good value in return. i think he really helped solidy our d last year!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 03:45 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Passing was a topic so I'll ask fans who see this team on multiple occasions live.The limited games I saw on: PPV/Nhl Network live action segments & live for one game last year...wasn't Salei's touch passing a great asset to the club. The Panthers Dmen through the years have struggled with the first/second passes out of the zone

With Bou/Salei...seperating those two helps in this often unmentioned/underated type of passing vision

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So would you say he can make a First pass and play the transition game well out of his own zone??? Sorry to bother you guys..

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
So would you say he can make a First pass and play the transition game well out of his own zone??? Sorry to bother you guys..
I think that's fair to say. The thing with Salei being a great hitter isn't the power he puts behind his checks (although they certainly aren't weak), its the timing and open ice hip check ability he showed me last year that impressed. One in particular was against Lecavalier. 1-on-1 and Salei just throws a great hip check. The Tampa fans all booed as if it was something illegal.

BTW, thank you for coming over and approaching us the way you did instead of just asking for Bouwmeester in exchange for Torres.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Mogo
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post

BTW, thank you for coming over and approaching us the way you did instead of just asking for Bouwmeester in exchange for Torres.
Yes, that was a very nice change

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Ok Last question i swear, but if say the Oilers were interested, what are you guys looking for in return?? Again, really sorry to bother you, and sorry to drag this out, i want to be thorough though. Thank you.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
SouthFLFan79

I would say a young(ish) winger that could be in one of the top 3 lines and eventually slide upwards with good potentials.

But I honestly dont know exactly the trade value nor the oils players enough to make a guess really. I dont want to insult by saying one thing and asking for far too much out of ignorance. Specially when someone has been polite in questionings to us.

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I know Lupul has fallen out of favor in Edmonton after a poor year. I still think he's got what it takes to turn it around and be a good player.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Lauser3*

Salei had a great year, but in my opinion now if ever is the time to trade him (in the right trade) because his value is high, and we are loaded with d men. He is getting older and he will only decline, and I doubt he'll ever have this value, and it would open up salary space. The rangers really wanted him last year, and they are short on defense, and they are willing to trade Montoya now that Lundquist is a star, maybe we can start there, and somehow try to get Prucha as well.

Lauser3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 03:31 PM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I know Lupul has fallen out of favor in Edmonton after a poor year. I still think he's got what it takes to turn it around and be a good player.
He is not happy in Edmonton (I've heard from sources close to me).They are not writers , so there is no link. I know the situation closer then say the average NHLer. I don't see Edmonton giving up on him until mid 2008 (at very earliest). His stock is at an all-time low + Lupul was the centrepiece in the Pronger deal.

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote