HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plan A/Plan B: Available UFA centers

Old
06-21-2007, 01:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Plan A/Plan B: Available UFA centers

I'm going to go ahead and bank on Nylander staying our first line C.

Bang for the buck is important and Sather has been pretty thrifty since the lockout

These are the centers entering Free Agency on July 1st. We'd all love a superstar, but the competition will be tough. We might have to have a solid plan B as well

Briere

Drury

Forsberg

Gomez

Zubrus

Comrie

Lang

Peca

Smolinski

Stumple

Tkachuk

Yashin

I have reservations about Drury and Briere. I think they will be uber expensive and I question just how good they will be outside of Buffalo(as in not worth the $$)

I dont think Gomez would bolt NJ for a few dollars more and sign with NYR. He'd be really sticking it to the Devils. Seems like a long shot to me considering he'll have other options.

Forsberg to me is still the most talented UFA of the summer. I'd sign PF in a heartbeat. I know many are wary of his injuries. If he's healthy now and feels good about coming to Broadway he would be AWESOME on the 2nd line. I'd even overpay for a one year deal just to get him here centering for Shanny and Straka/Callahan. Even with his injuries he's a pt per game player and on a better team with less pressure, 2nd line....he could be an awesome addition to the Rangers.

After these guys the list gets a little less exciting but still some solid players that would be an improvement on the 2nd line.

What do you guys think?

06-21-2007, 01:15 AM
The Thomas J.*

I'm not in love with any of these Players, but if I have to pick the one's I like it would be

Drury

Comrie

Forsberg

Gomez

Lang

Peca

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I'm not in love with any of these Players, but if I have to pick the one's I like it would be

Drury

Comrie

Forsberg

Gomez

Lang

Peca
Hey just for kicks. Who would you want as the 2nd even if their already signed?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:34 AM
ThisYearsModel

Let Nylander walk and sign Forsberg and Gomez. Forsberg with Jagr? Wonderful.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:43 AM
mti79

I really hope Nyls comes back to play with Jagr. Nylander was great for us last year and hopefully he'll see that, re-sign and shoot the puck more because good things happened when he did. As for the second line, since Drury and company are going to cost a lot of money, I'm not opposed to signing Comrie to a 2 or 3 year deal or Forsberg to a 1 or maybe 2 year deal. I want no part of Briere(won't make it in NY), Yashin, Peca, Stumpel, Smolinski etc. Lang wouldn't be terrible(did he play on the same line as Shanny in Det? if so, what were the numbers?) if he was cheap enough. Other than that, I'll see what Straks or someone in our system can do as a second line center to start the season. If they can't do it, we have the prospects to trade for a more suitable fit.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:47 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i know he aint a centre but is a rw, Kozlov wont be a bad option. He is small but will add help to our 2ed line scoring..

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:16 AM
eco's bones

To me Plan B is to go younger with a trade. Only interested in Drury, Gomez and Comrie off that list. Forsberg as mentioned is injured way too much. Lang is too old and not a player you could give a long term contract too. Peca has been hurt a lot and cannot be justifiably called a 2nd line player anymore. Yashin is heartless and I wouldn't want him around our young guys. As for Kozlov he's Yashin lite. He sucks.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Block More Shots

I don't see what the obsession over Gomez is...he's not going to be a Ranger. He's already stated that he wouldn't sign with the Rangers because he respects Lou and the Devils. Sure, I'd like to see him on the team, but in no way will it actually happen. I mean, I understand that players can change their minds, but I just don't see this one happening.

Out of the top 3 (Gomez, Drury, and Briere), our best shot is at Drury. IMO, this is the guy we should be targeting. He does everything well on the ice. Plays PP, PK, can score/pass well, and plays a great defensive game. Not only that, but he's a great leader and clutch goal-scorer (especially in the playoffs as we've previously seen).

Chris Drury = Hockey God

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:19 AM
theduke35

i dont see why we should over pay a player that is going to play our 2nd line. Why dont we go after comrie for a couple of years, he played really well in the playoffs and is a solid two way forward that can pass that would go well with prucha and shanny

theduke35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:46 AM
slovakfan*

just wondering
handzus anyone?

i know that he is not in that category like forsberg or drury etc.. but anyway...

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 06:20 AM
mike14

Assuming Nyls comes back I wouldn't mind seeing Comrie as the 2nd centre, thought he did a good job with the Sens. Sign him and either Shanny or another left wing and try
Shanny/UFA-Nyls-Jagr
Prucha - Comrie-Straka
Cullen-Dubinsky-Callahan
Avery-Betts-Hossa

or if Dawes beats out Dubi (I think it's between those too for an opening night spot) you could have a 3rd line of
Dawes - Cullen - Callahan

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 06:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
One player who will not be asked back, though, is center Robert Lang.

"I've contacted Petr Svoboda and told him we will not be offering a contract to Robert Lang," Holland said Wednesday.

This isn't much of a surprise. Lang, who entered the 2007 playoffs as the team's leading scorer during the previous two playoff runs, had just two goals and eight points in 18 games this spring. His ice time hovered around 15 minutes -- low for a player considered a top-six forward -- and there was tension between Lang and coach Mike Babcock
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...706210444/1053

One year deal-$3 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
I don't see what the obsession over Gomez is...he's not going to be a Ranger. He's already stated that he wouldn't sign with the Rangers because he respects Lou and the Devils. Sure, I'd like to see him on the team, but in no way will it actually happen. I mean, I understand that players can change their minds, but I just don't see this one happening.
He loves the same Lou that took him to arbitration? The same one who refused to pay him? Gomez could care less. He will go to where the dollars and the situation is. If it is with the Rangers, he would not blink. If Sather was to give him a 6 year, $36-38m contract, loyalty to Lou would be the last thing on his mind.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He loves the same Lou that took him to arbitration? The same one who refused to pay him? Gomez could care less. He will go to where the dollars and the situation is. If it is with the Rangers, he would not blink. If Sather was to give him a 6 year, $36-38m contract, loyalty to Lou would be the last thing on his mind.
No way Gomez is worth that much! You are out of your mind to give him that kind of money! That wreeks of Holik all over again.....I'll take a chance on Forsberg before I will ever give Gomez a 6 year deal at 6 mil per!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:01 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke35 View Post
i dont see why we should over pay a player that is going to play our 2nd line. Why dont we go after comrie for a couple of years, he played really well in the playoffs and is a solid two way forward that can pass that would go well with prucha and shanny
Because we want to win.

For all the teams progress, we still looked like a one line offensive threat last season against the better teams.

Does Comrie change that? Yes, maybe he does a little

Would Peter Forsberg change that? Oh yes.

Just the thought of Pandolfo not being able to shut down JJ for fear of the Swede is golden.

Old
06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Gomer might be willing to stick it to Lou, but not his teammates. Not when he'll have so many other options. Just an opinion

Old
06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i know he aint a centre but is a rw, Kozlov wont be a bad option. He is small but will add help to our 2ed line scoring..
Which Kozlov are you referring to? the one that plays with Ilya in Atlanta? Or the other one that played on the Island last year?

If it's the Atlanta Kozlov, I think I'd pass. Not a bad player, but not really addressing our needs.

I'd prefer to go with Viktor as opposed to Vyacheslav. Younger, Bigger and plays center.

But that's a 2nd/3rd option.

My order of preference is as follows:

top choices: Briere, Drury, Gomez

secondary choices: Zubrus, Lang, Viktor Kozlov, Mike Comrie

third choices: Yashin, Tkachuk, Peca

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
No way Gomez is worth that much! You are out of your mind to give him that kind of money! That wreeks of Holik all over again.....I'll take a chance on Forsberg before I will ever give Gomez a 6 year deal at 6 mil per!
The big 3 centers asking price will start at $6 million.

Holik was 32 when you signed him. Gomez will be 27 on opening night

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
The big 3 centers asking price will start at $6 million.

Holik was 32 when you signed him. Gomez will be 27 on opening night
Show me stats from Gomez that justify 6mil per! They don't exist. Somewhere along the way peoples perception of what a top center is have been misconstrued....Scot Gomez is not a 6million dollar a year player, especially in a slary cap NHL, he is not an impact player, he doesn't draw people to the arena.....stop eating the shrooms people....the delusions are too large!

Last edited by bleedrngrblue: 06-21-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old
06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Show me stats from Gomez that justify 6mil per! They don't exist. Somewhere along the way peoples perception of what a top center is have been misconstrued....Scot Gomez is not a 6million dollar a year player, especially in a slary cap NHL, he is not an impact player, he doesn't draw people to the arena.....stop eating the shrooms people....the delusions are too large!
If you don't want to pay him $6 million that's fine, but there isn't a chnace in hell he's signing for less than $6, an ddon't be suprised if it's alot closert to $7 million.

Last I checked the Rangers don't need to worry about drawing people to MSG. Save your precious cap room .... I'mmore than happy watching the Rangers not add a big piece during Jagr's final 2 or so big seasons left.

Old
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
zestystrat

Forsberg discussions aside, a Forsberg-Shanny-X line seems pretty old and slow, no matter who else you put on that line.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:54 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
If you don't want to pay him $6 million that's fine, but there isn't a chnace in hell he's signing for less than $6, an ddon't be suprised if it's alot closert to $7 million.

Last I checked the Rangers don't need to worry about drawing people to MSG. Save your precious cap room .... I'mmore than happy watching the Rangers not add a big piece during Jagr's final 2 or so big seasons left.
If that's the case....I don't EVER want to see fans on here siding with management again ! Scot Gomez is a solid NHLer, nothing more, Drury and Briere are both better than him, and would in my eyes justify more slary....with Drury being the best of the 3 overall. If owners and GMs are so willing to throw 6mil per contracts around, then they truly have no one to blame but themselves for their financial issues. Give me 1 good reason why Gomez or Briere deserve top money.....and them being free agents isn't enough. Its not about wether the Rangers need to draw people.....my point is players that get paid in the top eschelon are normally players who draw fans that pay to watch them come to town( Gretzky, Mario, Lindros in Philly, Forsberg, now Crosby and Ovechkin) If any of those people came to play in my town, I'd be trying my ass off to get tickets to that event. None of those guys are draws....or generate interst for the casual fan...so where on this planet do they get top end salaries....if performance doesn't warrant it? Do they get it just because its their time? Sorry....but I strongly disagree with this sense of entitlement, its the very same crap the Rangers predicated their signings on in the past.....and I'm sure I have no need to tell you how bad we sucked then. The more things change...the more they stay the same.

Old
06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
ogie

i think the ones i could honestly say i would want would be gomez, drury, briere or comrie. Most of the other remaining free agent centers are too old and too injury prone. I still can't get the taste of Bure and Lindros out of my mouth, so I am wary of them signing older players

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:00 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
If that's the case....I don't EVER want to see fans on here siding with management again ! Scot Gomez is a solid NHLer, nothing more, Drury and Briere are both better than him, and would in my eyes justify more slary....with Drury being the best of the 3 overall. If owners and GMs are so willing to throw 6mil per contracts around, then they truly have no one to blame but themselves for their financial issues. Give me 1 good reason why Gomez or Briere deserve top money.....and them being free agents isn't enough. Its not about wether the Rangers need to draw people.....my point is players that get paid in the top eschelon are normally players who draw fans that pay to watch them come to town( Gretzky, Mario, Lindros in Philly, Forsberg, now Crosby and Ovechkin) If any of those people came to play in my town, I'd be trying my ass off to get tickets to that event. None of those guys are draws....or generate interst for the casual fan...so where on this planet do they get top end salaries....if performance doesn't warrant it? Do they get it just because its their time? Sorry....but I strongly disagree with this sense of entitlement, its the very same crap the Rangers predicated their signings on in the past.....and I'm sure I have no need to tell you how bad we sucked then. The more things change...the more they stay the same.

It's called supply and demand.

There are currently 3 big centers available, and about 10-12 teams with a need for a top center The Rangers have a need and they have the cap space available to make a move or one of the three.

You have a superstar that you're paying half price for, and he likely only has 2-3 big seasons left in him. If I'm the GM of the Rangers I'm looking to make a big move now, and make a real concerted effort to win the Cup over the next 2-3 years.

This isn't the Rangers of 98-03 spending lots of money trying to make a bad team into an average one. The Rangers are already a good team, with a stud goalie, superstar forward and a nice supporting cast. This past spring you were two players from being a legit Cup favorite. Th ewindow created by Jagr won't stay open forever.

Old
06-21-2007, 10:02 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post

Out of the top 3 (Gomez, Drury, and Briere), our best shot is at Drury. IMO, this is the guy we should be targeting. He does everything well on the ice. Plays PP, PK, can score/pass well, and plays a great defensive game. Not only that, but he's a great leader and clutch goal-scorer (especially in the playoffs as we've previously seen).
I totally agree. Gomez isn't coming here. Drury is the one we want, hands down!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote