HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help - Shooting Surface

Old
06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

vCash: 500
Help - Shooting Surface

i am trying to make a 8x4 or whatever is best sized surface that i can shoot off of.
i know this has come up many times on here but what material is best for such a thing.
and seeing that i live on the beach, my back yard is sand so i need something that is stiff and wont give when i walk on it.
i guess i was thinking mounting a plastic like surface onto plywood. i dont know. any help would be appreciated.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 07:18 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

nevermind i found something i think will work. plywood and a cool surface. only like $15 for the 2 8x4 sheets.

Old
06-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
nevermind i found something i think will work. plywood and a cool surface. only like $15 for the 2 8x4 sheets.
So you have an 8X8 surface? or 8X4? What is the surface like and how do you keep the sand off it? Sounds pretty economical.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

its 8x4 total - one ontop of the other.

i mounted the slick thing on the same size plywood, i dont know what exactly it was, it was like in the bath room section of home depot.

the sand issue will be tricky, but i dont think it'll be too bad, i mean i have some grass. so i dont know.

im gonna test it here in a little bit.

Old
06-20-2007, 05:29 PM
EatSleepJeep

Quote:

i mounted the slick thing on the same size plywood, i dont know what exactly it was, it was like in the bath room section of home depot.

the sand issue will be tricky, but i dont think it'll be too bad, i mean i have some grass. so i dont know.

Wouldn't the sand help with the friction reduction? Like the sand on those tabletop shufflyboard things they have at bars?

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepJeep View Post
Wouldn't the sand help with the friction reduction? Like the sand on those tabletop shufflyboard things they have at bars?
On a very hard surface it might, but if the surface is soft, even if slippery, it will scratch up and/or grip.

Old
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

Thanks, give us an update.

Old
06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

i tried it out yesterday and it works fine. sand does get on the board but not in large quantities. and even then its easy to sweep off. but i mean, it works pretty well with a few more uses i could probably get into more detail.

but my stick isnt getting beat up and its nice to have a nice flat place to shoot from. if the top piece ends up not being very durable, i will go with something harder, but for right now its great and more importantly cheap....as of right now im shooting into my younger brothers lacrosse net...i just wish there was a rink a little closer than driving an hour out to chesapeake.