HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetical: Who would you take for Lundqvist?

Old
06-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Name any incentive in which we would have to trade Lundqvist.
Something awful outside of hockey would have to happen. Something where all parties could see the guy needed a fresh start somewhere else. Like Heatley

06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
LOL

Lundqvist is a great goalie, top 5 in the league for sure, but to say you wouldn't trade him for anyone?
I have to make two points as to why I believe that other people saying that Lundquist is untradeable for the Rangeres for anyone in the league.

1. I think a lot of the guys here make a good point. Defence wins championships. I think you can score all the goals you want but if you let them in just as easily there really is no point. As such, the position Lundquist plays is a premium and therefore make him untradable for any offensive player.

I mean we put up a hell of a fight against your Sabres and (as every SINGLE commentator REPEATEDLY pointed out) you were essentially rolling 4 scoring lines compared to our 2.

Tampa had Lecavlier but Marty took him down. The Isles struggled w/out dipietro. Miller carried the Sabres. Luongo carried the Canucks as did Turco for the Stars. Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and eventually Ottowa struggled because of the play of their Starting Goalie.

Seriously if it comes to trading a franchise goalie for a Franchise player, I'd always go goalie (Caveat: Unless we're talking the second incarnation of Maurice Richard but that is EXTREMELY rare).

2. Now at this point, you might be asking that's all well and good, but why Lunquist above all other goalies. Simple answer, compare him to other goalies available. Brodeur is getting up in Age. Luongo would cost too much. Kiprusoff is older as well as a free agent. Now, you might bring up Ryan Miller, the only defence I can bring up is no history of Injury in comparison. Lundquist never has missed extended periods of time.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Block More Shots

The only player I'd even consider dealing Lundqvist for is Crosby, but I'm a firm believer in that you build teams from the goalie out. Lundqvist is going to be a top 5 goaltender in the NHL for a long time. He's the type of player who will get us to the playoffs every year because he gives us a chance to win every game.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:30 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Like said before unless you get a great goalie in return.

i wouldnt move him.

06-20-2007, 01:57 AM
broadwayblue

Imo, HL is virtually untradeable if you're a Rangers fan. Crosby you have to do it..probably for Ovechkin...an outside shot for a Malkin, Lecavalier or Heatley. Rights to Tavares??? Maybe I left a deserving guy off the list, or have one included that shouldn't be...but that's pretty much it. You win with great goaltending...and I'll take my chances with Henrik over just about anyone else who plays between the pipes. No disrespect to Luongo, but Henrik is our guy.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Like said before unless you get a great goalie in return.

i wouldnt move him.
the only player in the league i would move him for is crosby. the kid is still in diapers and is dominating the league. hes going to be a very, very special player. crosby for henrik. done. anyone else, no thank you.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Thor God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
The only player I'd even consider dealing Lundqvist for is Crosby, but I'm a firm believer in that you build teams from the goalie out. Lundqvist is going to be a top 5 goaltender in the NHL for a long time. He's the type of player who will get us to the playoffs every year because he gives us a chance to win every game.
You're absolutely right. And as others have mentioned, defense is really what is needed to win. I mean, look at the Devils - even with their countless personnel changes over the years, there is one thing that's remained constant - Marty Brodeur. And when Brodeur falters, as can be seen in this last playoff series, the whole team goes down. The other pieces of the puzzle, while important, are much easier to exchange, but great goaltending cannot be underestimated.

Thor God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 03:03 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Lundqvist and Prucha.
for
Pavel Datysuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor God of Thunder View Post
You're absolutely right. And as others have mentioned, defense is really what is needed to win. I mean, look at the Devils - even with their countless personnel changes over the years, there is one thing that's remained constant - Marty Brodeur. And when Brodeur falters, as can be seen in this last playoff series, the whole team goes down. The other pieces of the puzzle, while important, are much easier to exchange, but great goaltending cannot be underestimated.
Henrik is an amazing player, absolutely no doubts there whatsoever. but Crosby is a generational talent. i love henrik to death but there are a few goalies on par or just behind him that could be available. crosby on the other hand....theres nobody like him in the league. speed, skill, size, desire, vision, hands, hard accurate shot, etc. hes got almost a flawless game and hes only 19 years old!!!!!

again, sidney is the only player in the league i would trade henrik in a 1 for 1 swap, then bring up monty, but other than that.....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Thor God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Henrik is an amazing player, absolutely no doubts there whatsoever. but Crosby is a generational talent. i love henrik to death but there are a few goalies on par or just behind him that could be available. crosby on the other hand....theres nobody like him in the league. speed, skill, size, desire, vision, hands, hard accurate shot, etc. hes got almost a flawless game and hes only 19 years old!!!!!

again, sidney is the only player in the league i would trade henrik in a 1 for 1 swap, then bring up monty, but other than that.....
I don't disagree with you about Crosby's talent. Not one bit. He's phenomenal. And if there was to be a 1-1 trade, he would be the only one it would work for. However, I'm not sure how New York would take to Crosby - based completely on personality. New York loves its tough guys like Avery, and Crosby tends to do a bit of whining. Who knows.

Thor God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:33 AM
bathgate

Elite goalies can steal a Cup. An elite center may be able to help win a Cup. The team needs to be built from goal out. We've succeeded in goal and the backline. Next priority is center. Perhaps I'd trade Henke for Crosby because of Montoya. Otherwise, I would not trade him. BTW, The Post is reporting that Henke contract negotiations start this week .Sign him to a five year or longer deal

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

The only player in the league I trade straight up for is Luongo. Period.

You can cobble together an offense without a super-elite forward. You can have solid defense without a Pronger or Lidstrom. You can't play goal by committee though. Its the most important position on the ice, and we have one of the best.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Chimp

If a goalie is equally skilled as the forward/defenseman, (hard to judge, I know) I would say it goes 2 star forwards for a star goalie. A star goaltender is just that more valubable, he's out there 60 minutes a game, the last fort that can never relax. As you've also said, star players win games, star goalies steal games you had no business in.

Trading Lundqvist for Luongo would be tempting, but I would like to see Lundqvist's new contract first. After all, Luongo earns $6.75 million, if Lundqvist earns, say $4.5 million, I wouldn't be so sure if Luongo is worth all those extra millions in a cap hit over Lundqvist. Seriously. Almost $7 million is alot of money.

Crosby would probably be the only player to trade straight up, I would probably not do it for Ovechkin and I love that guy. Malkin? No frigging way, ever.

Last edited by Chimp: 06-20-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
zestystrat

LOL A summer thread if I ever saw one.

If Penn bites on a trade for Sid for the King you have to do it. Why they would, I don't know.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
WheresBarnaby

Hank's untouchable

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
LOL A summer thread if I ever saw one.
Yeh, this thread is making me nervous. Let's not jinx anyone now

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Nich

tavarese

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
kovalev27hf

i'd only move lundqvist for crosby and ONLY because i have montoya in the system. thats it. thats the only deal i make. harding and picks for lundqvist? brutal jon come on lol. i wouldn't do luongo because financially lundqvist is cheaper and younger and what are they 2 3 in terms of best in the game right now? its a deal that i'd laugh at honestly. ovechkin eh he's not gonna win championships for you. if bure couldnt ovechkin certainly won't without a GREAT team around him. like someone said else said you build from the net out. crosby is the only guy i take because basically he has the potential to be the best player in the history of the game and he's 19 years old. you def make that trade and turn the goaltending duties over to montoya. but thats the only trade i make.

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yes Luongo is better,
And where does this comment come from..

Is it because every one else says he is or because u know he is. Me personally I think your just saying what everyone else says.

Luongo is good but hasnt done more than henk has in his first 2 years as compared to hat Luongo did in his first 2.

the kid is good, but nothing proves he is better than henk. I think thats a fact.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
And where does this comment come from..

Is it because every one else says he is or because u know he is. Me personally I think your just saying what everyone else says.

Luongo is good but hasnt done more than henk has in his first 2 years as compared to hat Luongo did in his first 2.

the kid is good, but nothing proves he is better than henk. I think thats a fact.
You're right about that, but that has nothing to do with one of them being better than the other now.

IMO Luongo is a better goalie than Lundqvist right now. But I also happen to think that Luongo is the best goalie in the NHL, with that been said, I wouldn't trade Lundqvist for Luongo 1 for 1 because I believe Lundqvist has a higher trade value.

I would trade him for Malkin though. (I'm basing this not only on Malkin's play in the NHL but also on his play on team Russia where he simply is dominant on "big ice", and I believe that he has alllot of untapped potential that will soon be "tapped" in the NHL).

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:37 AM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Elite goalies can steal a Cup. An elite center may be able to help win a Cup.
Even Gretzky never won a Cup by himself. Roy arguably did it as rookie in '86 and again in '93 for 2 teams that were good, but may not have been the best in the league. Let's give Henrik a chance to do what only Richter has done for us "lately" and bring the Cup back to the big apple. Henrik is UNTOUCHABLE unless we get an elite goalie and a star forward back. Since it won't happen, I hope he's a Ranger for life.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
I would trade him for Malkin though. (I'm basing this not only on Malkin's play in the NHL but also on his play on team Russia where he simply is dominant on "big ice", and I believe that he has alllot of untapped potential that will soon be "tapped" in the NHL).
That's just crazy. If I was Pittsburgh, I would do that in a heartbeat, no question. Then they could just trade Fleury or Lundqvist for alot more in a second trade. I would perhaps do it for 2 Malkins. At least then I would put it into consideration.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:08 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

So Lundqvist just became God?

Give him another season to see if he's the real deal or not-Cechmanek had 2 tremendous seasons before we all found out what a mess he was. Goalies do this a lot. From Lundqvist's performance in the '06 playoffs, I wouldn't put him past meltdown status quite yet-that was monumental.

That said, he's been looking great.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post

Give him another season to see if he's the real deal or not-Cechmanek had 2 tremendous seasons before we all found out what a mess he was. Goalies do this a lot. From Lundqvist's performance in the '06 playoffs, I wouldn't put him past meltdown status quite yet-that was monumental.

That said, he's been looking great.
Its not like he was playing 100%, if a goaltender cant see the puck due to migraines I'm pretty sure your going to run into a problem and sure enough they did. I think the 06 regular season, from December on in the 07 season the playoffs and two Vezina nominations speak volumes on what Lundqvist is capable of. Then there are his SEL accomplishments ....

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:43 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
Well, to us he might be. No one is saying you have to believe it, this is the Rangers board after all, isn't it? And if it ain't broken, why fix it?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote