HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plan A/Plan B: Available UFA centers

Old
06-21-2007, 10:47 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
It's called supply and demand.

There are currently 3 big centers available, and about 10-12 teams with a need for a top center The Rangers have a need and they have the cap space available to make a move or one of the three.

You have a superstar that you're paying half price for, and he likely only has 2-3 big seasons left in him. If I'm the GM of the Rangers I'm looking to make a big move now, and make a real concerted effort to win the Cup over the next 2-3 years.

This isn't the Rangers of 98-03 spending lots of money trying to make a bad team into an average one. The Rangers are already a good team, with a stud goalie, superstar forward and a nice supporting cast. This past spring you were two players from being a legit Cup favorite. Th ewindow created by Jagr won't stay open forever.

that's what alot of people here fail to understand.

there are at least 12-15 teams that will be interested in the big 3 centers which means that 12 of those bodders will be left out in the cold nd for the 3 with the "winning" bids you can be sure that the price and the lenght will reflect the intense competition in the bidding for the big 3's services.

Being that will be the case there will be concern with even getting one of those 3 as it will have a major impact on the teams short and longterm future as you are hitching your star to them for at least 5, probrably 6 years.

Most teams are going to have to make their way through the "B" list of available centers like the Langs-Yashin's-Stumpels of the world and hope for the right fit and while there are more ??? with these guys the terms of the ??? will also be refelcted which when all is said and done may be the better option when all factors are considered.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Nich

my short list if no nylander

Briere

Drury

Gomez

Zubrus

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:19 AM
alucard

I really doubt Gomez jumps ship and heads for New York, I don't think he would do that to his (X)-teammates even though some people are saying money talks. Well $6million from the Kings(rumored landing spot) is the same amount of money as $6 million from the Rangers.
That being said, I think Gomez is a really good player who has the ability to take the puck up the ice and create a great chance 5v5 or on the Power Play. Just look at the Devils power play breakouts, get to their blue line and pass/drop pass to Gomez who is skating with speed and he just glides into the offensive zone to set it up.
I don't see why people try to discredit his ability. However I doubt he would want to sign here, and I think Drury would be a great addition instead.
Resign Nylander and Drury, who I hear from numerous places, was a Ranger fan growing up so that might make him more inclined to think about signing here.

As for Comrie, if someone suggested this 2 years ago I would have been for it, but watching him in the playoffs he didn't seem that great. His numbers are average at best 25pts 41gp, 6pts 20gp is the Playoffs, and it seemed like he was knocked off the puck alot, maybe due to his size.

Forsberg would be a dream come true, although it might be a few years too late. I still think this guy is a ppg player but whenever you think about Forsberg the next thought is injury, and his ability to be healthy. Plus from what I've been reading doesn't seem to want to stray too far from his comfort zone and sign with a new team when he could resign with what he knows in Col, Phi, or Sweden. Didn't he also take less money then NYR were offering to sign with Philly? (Thought I heard that somewhere)

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post

Forsberg would be a dream come true, although it might be a few years too late. I still think this guy is a ppg player but whenever you think about Forsberg the next thought is injury, and his ability to be healthy. Plus from what I've been reading doesn't seem to want to stray too far from his comfort zone and sign with a new team when he could resign with what he knows in Col, Phi, or Sweden. Didn't he also take less money then NYR were offering to sign with Philly? (Thought I heard that somewhere)
Rangers were a much different team back then. The team has earned a whole new respect in the NHL after the last 2 seasons imo.

There is something to be said for a player signing with the "known" over a new situation, but also a player of Forsbergs age wants to win now.

Which team could he sign with and really be the piece to the puzzle that puts that team in true contention for a shot at the cup?

Philly has made some bold improvements, but they have to make PF wary. Is Philly going to be able to make a run next year? ....maybe

The AVS looked good down the stretch in desperation mode but are they really a Peter Forsberg away from the finals?

Nashville....apparantly not interested.

The Rangers. Biggest need = a top center for the 1b line. A playmaker for the likes of Shanhan and Callahan, Prucha, Straka.

Rangers have a bona fide vezina candidate goalie (whom Forsberg KNOWS can deliver in a big game)

Rangers have Jaromir Jagr. Maybe the most dominant player in the game when healthy and he's going to be an animal this coming season

Shanahan makes an excellent example of what a great atmosphere the NYR have on the team right now. He's paved the way for elite players coming to NYR by choice, not just for the payday but because the team is going to be very competitive as well

Great balance of Vets and Youth. A sound coaching staff. A sound defensive game.

Forsberg would be GOLDEN as our 2nd line C. He instantly makes the Rangers an incredibly dangerous team weather JJ is on the ice or not.

Withh JJ and the team thats in place. Less pressure on Forsberg. With Forsberg, less pressure on Jagr to be superman all season.

Peter Forsberg is THE MOST TALENTED ufa on the market, and his stock "might" be low due to a dismal experience in Philly.

I will never hold the Philly years against PF. That team collapsed from under him. GM fired, Coach fired, Primeaus forced retirement, he was injured but christ so was the rest of that team. Something went really really wrong in Philly for that whole franchise.

Forsberg with a fresh start, on a really good team that could benefit the most from his play fighting towards the great cup.....

The Rangers would be a very fortunate team if Forsberg could ever be convinced to take the job on Broadway.

06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Show me stats from Gomez that justify 6mil per! They don't exist. Somewhere along the way peoples perception of what a top center is have been misconstrued....Scot Gomez is not a 6million dollar a year player, especially in a slary cap NHL, he is not an impact player, he doesn't draw people to the arena.....stop eating the shrooms people....the delusions are too large!
He probably is a 6 mill guy to the Rangers , just because it's a burn to the devils. Thats worth an extra mill right there

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:56 AM
ThirdEye

Ok, you convinced me. Now I'm going to be disappointed as hell if he doesn't come here, which will ultimately be the case imo

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:58 AM
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
He probably is a 6 mill guy to the Rangers , just because it's a burn to the devils. Thats worth an extra mill right there
I agree, but on at the same time I doubt "Gomer" will want to do that.
His numbers would increase dramatically on a more offensive team, no doubt about that.

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:02 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Sorry I just don't see it! I don't even remotely see how he is a top "A" list player, and as much as I despise the Devils, and want Jagr to win a cup i don't see the need for a guy like him here.....rather give a system kid a chance to fill that role and keep Nylander...even pay 6 for him before I pay 6 for Gomez!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Rangers were a much different team back then. The team has earned a whole new respect in the NHL after the last 2 seasons imo.

There is something to be said for a player signing with the "known" over a new situation, but also a player of Forsbergs age wants to win now.

Which team could he sign with and really be the piece to the puzzle that puts that team in true contention for a shot at the cup?

Philly has made some bold improvements, but they have to make PF wary. Is Philly going to be able to make a run next year? ....maybe

The AVS looked good down the stretch in desperation mode but are they really a Peter Forsberg away from the finals?

Nashville....apparantly not interested.

The Rangers. Biggest need = a top center for the 1b line. A playmaker for the likes of Shanhan and Callahan, Prucha, Straka.

Rangers have a bona fide vezina candidate goalie (whom Forsberg KNOWS can deliver in a big game)

Rangers have Jaromir Jagr. Maybe the most dominant player in the game when healthy and he's going to be an animal this coming season

Shanahan makes an excellent example of what a great atmosphere the NYR have on the team right now. He's paved the way for elite players coming to NYR by choice, not just for the payday but because the team is going to be very competitive as well

Great balance of Vets and Youth. A sound coaching staff. A sound defensive game.

Forsberg would be GOLDEN as our 2nd line C. He instantly makes the Rangers an incredibly dangerous team weather JJ is on the ice or not.

Withh JJ and the team thats in place. Less pressure on Forsberg. With Forsberg, less pressure on Jagr to be superman all season.

Peter Forsberg is THE MOST TALENTED ufa on the market, and his stock "might" be low due to a dismal experience in Philly.

I will never hold the Philly years against PF. That team collapsed from under him. GM fired, Coach fired, Primeaus forced retirement, he was injured but christ so was the rest of that team. Something went really really wrong in Philly for that whole franchise.

Forsberg with a fresh start, on a really good team that could benefit the most from his play fighting towards the great cup.....

The Rangers would be a very fortunate team if Forsberg could ever be convinced to take the job on Broadway.
A lot of good points being made here... I think however that it's either nylander or forsberg. To have both would be planning for the short term since they're both getting up there in age.

My question is why pay all that money for forsberg when you could pay around the same amount of money for drury who although isn't quite peter forsberg, won't worry you with the threat of injury and can be an integral part of the team for years to come. I think you just can't justify taking the risk on forsberg if you can sign drury. He's just as clutch in the postseason.

But all your points do lead me to believe that forsberg would see the rangers as a good fit for himself, I just can't see him being a good fit for the rangers solely because of the price/risk factor.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
My question is why pay all that money for forsberg when you could pay around the same amount of money for drury who although isn't quite peter forsberg, won't worry you with the threat of injury and can be an integral part of the team for years to come. I think you just can't justify taking the risk on forsberg if you can sign drury. He's just as clutch in the postseason.
Drury's going to get more money per year, and far more years than Forsberg.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
A lot of good points being made here... I think however that it's either nylander or forsberg. To have both would be planning for the short term since they're both getting up there in age.

But all your points do lead me to believe that forsberg would see the rangers as a good fit for himself, I just can't see him being a good fit for the rangers solely because of the price/risk factor.
ONE YEAR DEAL = LOW RISK

Even if we had to overpay a bit, one year deal is worth a shot. For everyone involved

Old
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Drury's going to get more money per year, and far more years than Forsberg.
Right, and if you're going to spend money and make a big investment, you make the safest one you can even if it costs a little more money.

If you're saving 2 million this year by signing forsberg and he goes down with an injury, which isn't at all out of the question, you'll wish you paid 2 million more to still have a star 2nd line center.

Old
06-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Honestly I think signing Drury of Briere to a 5 year 6-7 million dollar deal is waaaaaaay more risky that Forsberg for 1 year at any price.

And dont think for a second the Rangers are NOT going for it all NOW.

Jagr, Shanny, Straka......have to win NOW of never

That doesnt kill the prospects and the rebuild. Might delay it some, but when you have Jaromir Jagr for a finite amount of time, a hot goalie. You GO FOR IT NOW

Old
06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Honestly I think signing Drury of Briere to a 5 year 6-7 million dollar deal is waaaaaaay more risky that Forsberg for 1 year at any price.

And dont think for a second the Rangers are NOT going for it all NOW.

Jagr, Shanny, Straka......have to win NOW of never

That doesnt kill the prospects and the rebuild. Might delay it some, but when you have Jaromir Jagr for a finite amount of time, a hot goalie. You GO FOR IT NOW
I have to completely disagree. I think signing forsberg for 1 year is much riskier than Drury for 4 or 5 if the price is right. Forsberg is FRAGILE now. Plus, what about 13 points in 16 playoff games makes Drury not a player to win NOW with?

If you're trying to win now, I don't think you take such a big chance on whether or not your star 2nd line center will be injured come playoff time.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled if we signed him, i just wouldn't do it if I was Sather and had the option to sign Drury.

Old
06-21-2007, 01:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I have to completely disagree. I think signing forsberg for 1 year is much riskier than Drury for 4 or 5 if the price is right. Forsberg is FRAGILE now. Plus, what about 13 points in 16 playoff games makes Drury not a player to win NOW with?

If you're trying to win now, I don't think you take such a big chance on whether or not your star 2nd line center will be injured come playoff time.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled if we signed him, i just wouldn't do it if I was Sather and had the option to sign Drury.

Good points. Dont get me wrong. I like Drury. He'd be welcomed sign in my book. But I think it looks like hes going to get over paid and extended too long a deal for what he brings to the game. As clutch as he can be, he is no Forsberg.

I think Dubinsky could evolve into a Drury like player and he's homegrown. Yes he needs more time but 2- 3 years from now he could really be contributing. Thats my hope at least.

Peter Forsberg is hands down the most talented player on the market. He's Bona Fide Elite.

The injury thing is a concern. Tough call.

Over pay for the lesser, but previously un injury prone players, or take a chance on one of the greatest playmakers EVER to play the game?

I think Peter still has another Cup in him. Same as JJ and Shanny. Together they might have a wonderful chemistry making their Swan Song run.

Time is ticking, but all three of those guys still have game.

Old
06-21-2007, 01:07 PM
eco's bones

The problem with going with Forsberg is you're gambling with an injury history. With Gomez you're not. Scott makes the most sense because he's the youngest of the three big names (Drury, Briere) by three years anyway. He's been more of a set up guy and putting him with Shanahan would give Shanny someone to work with. Beyond excellent puck distribution Gomez can really skate. Far less of a gamble if you get his name on a contract and likely that at the end of a 5 or a 6 year contract he is still a good player with a couple or three good years still in the tank--which is a worry I have about giving Drury a very long contract--3 or 4 years maybe but what will Chris be like when he's 35 or 36? As John the Flyer fan says and I agree with him the Rangers were only a hole or two away from going to the finals. I for one would rather the Rangers target Gomez than p*ss away next year by gambling on whether Forsberg can hold up.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Onion Boy

Plan A: Drury
Plan B: Lang

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The problem with going with Forsberg is you're gambling with an injury history. With Gomez you're not. Scott makes the most sense because he's the youngest of the three big names (Drury, Briere) by three years anyway. He's been more of a set up guy and putting him with Shanahan would give Shanny someone to work with. Beyond excellent puck distribution Gomez can really skate. Far less of a gamble if you get his name on a contract and likely that at the end of a 5 or a 6 year contract he is still a good player with a couple or three good years still in the tank--which is a worry I have about giving Drury a very long contract--3 or 4 years maybe but what will Chris be like when he's 35 or 36? As John the Flyer fan says and I agree with him the Rangers were only a hole or two away from going to the finals. I for one would rather the Rangers target Gomez than p*ss away next year by gambling on whether Forsberg can hold up.
Here's what will happen if the Rangers go hard after Gomez.

He will string them along untill all the other good players are gone and than he will sign somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Just like a good Devil should.

YES THATS JUST AN OPINION

Old
06-21-2007, 01:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

on a realted note:

Florida Panthers and Nathan Horton have agreed to terms on a six-year, $24-million contract."

Respectable

Old
06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Here's what will happen if the Rangers go hard after Gomez.

He will string them along untill all the other good players are gone and than he will sign somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Just like a good Devil should.

YES THATS JUST AN OPINION

May be just how it works out. Off the list though the only others I'd consider would be Drury and Comrie. If we can't get any of those three I would suggest a deal for a guy under 30 with talent and we will have to give up something pretty good but we need a guy with talent that we can count on to be in the lineup at least most of the time. For instance a Marleau, a Bergeron.

Old
06-21-2007, 04:36 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Luke View Post
Which Kozlov are you referring to? the one that plays with Ilya in Atlanta? Or the other one that played on the Island last year?

If it's the Atlanta Kozlov, I think I'd pass. Not a bad player, but not really addressing our needs.

I'd prefer to go with Viktor as opposed to Vyacheslav. Younger, Bigger and plays center.

But that's a 2nd/3rd option.

My order of preference is as follows:

top choices: Briere, Drury, Gomez

secondary choices: Zubrus, Lang, Viktor Kozlov, Mike Comrie

third choices: Yashin, Tkachuk, Peca
id rather trade for morrison than sign yashin tkachuk or peca.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
May be just how it works out. Off the list though the only others I'd consider would be Drury and Comrie. If we can't get any of those three I would suggest a deal for a guy under 30 with talent and we will have to give up something pretty good but we need a guy with talent that we can count on to be in the lineup at least most of the time. For instance a Marleau, a Bergeron.
Mmmm Marleau would be sweet.

Those guys are pricey AND will cost some talent going the other way in trade.

If thats the plan, why not go for it with Forsberg and if he gets injured you can still make that trade.

Old
06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Mmmm Marleau would be sweet.

Those guys are pricey AND will cost some talent going the other way in trade.

If thats the plan, why not go for it with Forsberg and if he gets injured you can still make that trade.

To me it's just cutting to the chase. Forsberg last kind of played a whole NHL season in 02-03. The season before that he was out. It's kind of deja-vu like with Lindros. When he was in the lineup and healthy he was great. He just wasn't healthy enough and his time with the Rangers was a failure because the team never made the playoffs. Forsberg's situation would be a little different because with Jagr here already he wouldn't be expected to carry the team but I would prefer going with someone younger anyway. Marleau would cost us at least one young defenseman--a San Jose need--not named Staal. Maybe Tyutin would be part of such a deal. Hate to give him up but our future D is our strongest area.

Old
06-21-2007, 07:02 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He loves the same Lou that took him to arbitration? The same one who refused to pay him? Gomez could care less. He will go to where the dollars and the situation is. If it is with the Rangers, he would not blink. If Sather was to give him a 6 year, $36-38m contract, loyalty to Lou would be the last thing on his mind.
Money is the only thing that matters to these athletes, not loyalty to their former coach

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Money is the only thing that matters to these athletes, not loyalty to their former coach
I dont think thats even close to being true for the majority of players in the NHL.

I dont know about loyalty to a coach, but to their teammates , the fans and a franchise.

No doubt $$$ is an issue, but you make it sound like the players are just playing for the money. I truely believe in hockey that is not really the majority of the players.