HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

interest in Vokoun

Old
06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
interest in Vokoun

Eklund is reporting that there are rumblings that Vkoun may be on the block with his salary ready to increase to a cap hit of $5.7 mill x 4 yrs and a NTC to begin July 1.....I could see this being an interest to the franchise if Leipold has given Poile a budget for the league minimum, and to be honest, we are no longer in Stanley Cup contention mode.

This is from Eklund, so take it for what it is worth:
The Phoenix Coyotes are trying to make a move for a goalie, and two sources now have told me that it comes down to two players...Vokoun and Fernandez. A source close to the scene said, "Don Maloney may just thrust the Coyotes out of obscurity in the next few days."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8119

If this is true, and we are in pure salary dump mode.....what about:

To PHX:
Vokoun
1st rd Pick 2007 [23rd overall]

To Nash:
1st rd pick 2007 [3rd overall]
Peter Mueller
2nd rd pick 2008

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Eklund is reporting that there are rumblings that Vkoun may be on the block with his salary ready to increase to a cap hit of $5.7 mill x 4 yrs and a NTC to begin July 1.....I could see this being an interest to the franchise if Leipold has given Poile a budget for the league minimum, and to be honest, we are no longer in Stanley Cup contention mode.

The Phoenix Coyotes are trying to make a move for a goalie, and two sources now have told me that it comes down to two players...Vokoun and Fernandez. A source close to the scene said, "Don Maloney may just thrust the Coyotes out of obscurity in the next few days."

To PHX:
Vokoun

To Nash:
Peter Mueller
2nd rd pick 2008
thats pretty decent of a trade actually ... the question then becomes who do we select @ #3 ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would make that trade, and sign Mason to a 3 year, 6 million dollar deal (I could escalate it up to 8 million if needed). Additionally, I would seal the salary purge by moving Zidlicky for a younger, more defensive minded defenseman or a high draft pick (preferably a player.....say a Kalinin for Zidlicky swap).

Other teams that could be interested in Vokoun:

Tampa
Boston
Florida
St. Louis
Columbus
Possibly Colorado, although it looks like they are going to Keep Theo and Budaj
LA

06-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post

To PHX:
Vokoun

To Nash:
Peter Mueller
2nd rd pick 2008
There's little chance that Phoenix would make that trade. If they did, Nash should be all over it.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I would make that trade, and sign Mason to a 3 year, 6 million dollar deal (I could escalate it up to 8 million if needed). Additionally, I would seal the salary purge by moving Zidlicky for a younger, more defensive minded defenseman or a high draft pick (preferably a player.....say a Kalinin for Zidlicky swap).

Other teams that could be interested in Vokoun:

Tampa
Boston
Florida
St. Louis
Columbus
Possibly Colorado, although it looks like they are going to Keep Theo and Budaj
LA
after hearing the same thing i tried to find out what nash could want from tampa not including the big 4...considering vokoun would be more of a salary dump then anything...

and my thread got laughed at and shut down... even though i clearly stated i had no idea where to start and i was throwing names out there and was asking for nash fans opinions.

again ill ask...what kind of deal would nashville want from tampa not including the big 4 to get vokoun in tampa?

are they looking for any d or goalie prospects as we are choked full of those.... obviously a roster player would be a good idea too... maybe craig or blair jones? what about prospal? would nashville want denis to be a backup for mason? 2.8 is a lot smaller then 5.7.

also what about packaging erat in the deal somehow?

to tb:
vokoun
erat

to nashville:
assortment of picks
dman prospect (or 2)
goalie prospect (or 2)
prospal
denis

?? again IM JUST THROWING RANDOM THINGS OUT THERE...no idea what the state of nashville front managment is in and what would land those guys in tampa.....

or if you want bring in the likely of the big 4 to be dealt...

what about

to nash:

richards(7.8)
prospect (or 2)
picks?

to tb:
arnott(4.5)
erat(1.675)
vokoun(5.7)

cap hit in ()

preds get a franchise center and dump almost 4M in salary. they also get a few good dman prospects and or some picks...

tampa gets the goalie they need, a center to replace richards, and a winger for the 2nd line they need. the cap hit for the lightning would be VERY close to their self imposed cap limit BUT they also said they would spend more if the right deal came along....

thoughts?

Last edited by Idealsupra*: 06-21-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Idealsupra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
sluggo*

Makes sense for the Predators, but I don't think it does for the Coyotes. Wheeler and Mueller played together before being drafted and they want both of them for the future, and they are going to want that pick to get another top line player.

I think its more realistic for a team like the Bruins, Leafs, Habs, Blue Jackets or Capitals maybe Kings to trade for Vokoun. I would also think that the Predators would want a young goalie in return.

sluggo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
There's little chance that Phoenix would make that trade. If they did, Nash should be all over it.
Agreed. Phoenix wouldn't trade off 2 of their top 3 prospects for Vokoun. The team is clearly going the youth route; Mueller and whoever is drafted #3 will be among the top handful of prospects the team has had since moving to the desert. Besides the fact Mueller is being penciled in as a top 6 forward for 07-08.

If a trade did come down it absolutely wouldn't involve Mueller. I'd be doubtful on the #3 pick but really depends on the whole package for each side that might be involved.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Ghosthoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Agreed. Phoenix wouldn't trade off 2 of their top 3 prospects for Vokoun. The team is clearly going the youth route; Mueller and whoever is drafted #3 will be among the top handful of prospects the team has had since moving to the desert. Besides the fact Mueller is being penciled in as a top 6 forward for 07-08.

If a trade did come down it absolutely wouldn't involve Mueller. I'd be doubtful on the #3 pick but really depends on the whole package for each side that might be involved.
I wouldn't do the #3 straight up for Vokoun so keep walkin...

Sorry guys but the Yotes have been preaching Mueller's salvation for the last year and the #3 pick for the last two months...

You need D we have D, how about Michalek Brendan Bell and the 32nd over all

Ghosthoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
RaiderDoug

I think the Tampa fan seriously underestimates Erat, Vokoun, or both. There isnt a package out there short of Crosby, Ovechkin level that would net both Vokoun and Erat.

I also am not sold on the "we're no longer Cup Contenders" line of thinking.

If we re-sign Kariya, we'll have a pretty darn formidable top two lines. Our young defense is only going to get better, and Vokoun/Mason is still the top goaltending tandem in the league.

I think we'll definately get in the playoffs, and then who knows. I've been following hockey too long and seen way too many low seeded teams with hot goalies go farther than I thought they had business going.

Like it or not, we're going to see a pretty good team on the ice this fall.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Ghosthoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Vokoun/Mason is still the top goaltending tandem in the league.
I thought Backstom Fernandez won that honor?

Old
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Ghosthoffa

so trade for some vets to guide the kids.... Nick Boynton would be a great fit in Nashville....

Old
06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthoffa View Post
I thought Backstom Fernandez won that honor? ;
I beg to differ. If you had said Giguere and Bryzgalov I would have to think about it a little longer, but I think all three tandems can be considered tops in the league.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
I think the Tampa fan seriously underestimates Erat, Vokoun, or both. There isnt a package out there short of Crosby, Ovechkin level that would net both Vokoun and Erat.

how is erat all that special? he had a 57 pt season and his average is closer to 45 pts for his career....?

richards for vokoun is a pretty fair deal straight up...but obviously IF IF IF nashville is trying to dump salary they would need to unload a few other salaries to be able to take on richards contract. something like the arnott i proposed....whereas they lose an aging veteran center AND salary and get a franchise center.

just throwing things around....this weekend will definitley be interesting!

Last edited by Idealsupra*: 06-21-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old
06-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I beg to differ. If you had said Giguere and Bryzgalov I would have to think about it a little longer, but I think all three tandems can be considered tops in the league.
I think he's refering to the award, what is it, Jennings? Fernandez and Backstrom won it for the lowest GAA.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealsupra View Post
how is erat all that special? he had a 57 pt season and his average is closer to 45 pts for his career....?

richards for vokoun is a pretty fair deal straight up...but obviously IF IF IF nashville is trying to dump salary they would need to unload a few other salaries to be able to take on richards contract. something like the arnott i proposed....whereas they lose an aging veteran center AND salary and get a franchise center.

just throwing things around....this weekend will definitley be interesting!
It may just be me, but I like Erat. Alot. If not for an injury, he would easily have been a 20 goal, and likely a 70 point guy. He plays on our first line, and is only 25 years old. He's getting better each year.

If we trade him and get nothing but prospects or picks in return. Then we have a huge hole in the first line. We're still a contender, and, IMHO, easily a playoff team.

Don't mistake the Timonen/Hartnell deal for waving the white flag and giving all our guys up to the highest draft pick bidder. Although we would have liked to have them back, those guys did not figure into our future plans as greatly as one might think. No way are they worth what theyre being paid by Philly, especially Timonen, we would not have matched that even if we had the cash.

Old
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
It may just be me, but I like Erat. Alot. If not for an injury, he would easily have been a 20 goal, and likely a 70 point guy. He plays on our first line, and is only 25 years old. He's getting better each year.

If we trade him and get nothing but prospects or picks in return. Then we have a huge hole in the first line. We're still a contender, and, IMHO, easily a playoff team.

Don't mistake the Timonen/Hartnell deal for waving the white flag and giving all our guys up to the highest draft pick bidder. Although we would have liked to have them back, those guys did not figure into our future plans as greatly as one might think. No way are they worth what theyre being paid by Philly, especially Timonen, we would not have matched that even if we had the cash.
oh dont get me wrong. erat has great upside. but i think saying because he missed all of what 6 games last year he would have had another 13+ points?

there IS a reason i would like erat in a tbl jersey

with giggy off the market now...i think its safe to say if nashville DOES want to move vokoun they can up the price a bit...considering the best UFA goalie just got eaten up.

maybe a richards/prospect/pick for vokoun/dumont/pick?

tomorrow will be VERY interesting....

Old
06-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Jarnberg

For people throwing out expensive players coming back for Vokoun, think again. This move would NOT be motivated by upgrading the team, but rather by a salary dump. Leipold is assuming he owns the team, so he's instructing Poile to run the team on the bare minimum. He's not putting money into something he's about to sale.

That means a few things. First of all, Vokoun will be dealt for either young player(s), very cheap player(s) and/or picks. You won't see a guy like Boynton or Richards coming this way. Second, it means that Vokoun will come cheaper then normal.

The only reason we'd be dealing Vokoun is not that we want to start Mason instead, but rather we want to trim payroll.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Idealsupra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
For people throwing out expensive players coming back for Vokoun, think again. This move would NOT be motivated by upgrading the team, but rather by a salary dump. Leipold is assuming he owns the team, so he's instructing Poile to run the team on the bare minimum. He's not putting money into something he's about to sale.

That means a few things. First of all, Vokoun will be dealt for either young player(s), very cheap player(s) and/or picks. You won't see a guy like Boynton or Richards coming this way. Second, it means that Vokoun will come cheaper then normal.

The only reason we'd be dealing Vokoun is not that we want to start Mason instead, but rather we want to trim payroll.
that makes sense.... however if richards came over and we took vokoun AND arnott et al...there would still be a salary dump there of almost 3M and nashville would actually get a great player in return that hasnt even hit his prime yet.

Old
06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealsupra View Post
that makes sense.... however if richards came over and we took vokoun AND arnott et al...there would still be a salary dump there of almost 3M and nashville would actually get a great player in return that hasnt even hit his prime yet.
I understand that if we traded both then technically we would be cutting salary, however, this is likely to be as much of a maximum dump as possible. Thankfully we have a salary floor...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 05:11 PM
preddevil

Quote:

You're right to a certain extent, but we still have to get to the cap mininum. Without Vokoun, we are 9 or 10 million below the minimum with about 10 spots to fill. We can afford to have a 2 mil player or two coming back our way and still have enough room to spend about 800 grand per player to fill up the rest of the holes.

preddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Ghosthoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Right but what I am saying is that LITERALLY they won the award for best GAA...

Old
06-21-2007, 06:07 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
if we trade Vokoun to load Hamilton with future prospects I will officially turn my back on the NHL.

If we trade Vokoun, extend Mason, and get some great NHLers in return, I could possible live with that.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:36 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
if we trade Vokoun to load Hamilton with future prospects I will officially turn my back on the NHL.

If we trade Vokoun, extend Mason, and get some great NHLers in return, I could possible live with that.
Exactly how I feel.

I think my wife may jump off one of the downtown bridges if it happens. Vokoun is singlehandedly responsible for her being a fan.

Old
06-21-2007, 08:23 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
I understand that if we traded both then technically we would be cutting salary, however, this is likely to be as much of a maximum dump as possible. Thankfully we have a salary floor...
Also to be fair if you trade 2 for 1 that's another roster spot to fill, even if it is a minimum contract.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
I think he's refering to the award, what is it, Jennings? Fernandez and Backstrom won it for the lowest GAA.
Sorry, should have known that. Had just woken up after driving back from Durham, NC late last night and that certainly flew over my head.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote