Notices

Gameday: Hurricanes @ Wild - 2002-02-29

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 10:31 AM
ceber

vCash: 500
Gameday: Hurricanes @ Wild - 2002-02-29

It's a leap day game, the first ever for the Wild. Can they win? Yes. Will they win? I don't know.
Carolina has a decent unbeaten-in-regulation streak going, I think. Weekes made a ton of saves up in Montreal. Sean Hill and Brett Hedican are from 'round here. That's all I know about Carolina.
Dowd and M. Chouinard are still on IR, Walz will be evaluated this morning and may return (I'm doubtful). Johnson is still suspended. Roloson's back with the team.
Lemaire skated the team extra long on Saturday, saying "It's not because I like it, but I want the team to get better. That's it. I'm going to work at it until the end. My end or their end." An article in the Star-Trib says Lemaire wants to keep the younger guys in the line-up. Hopefully we'll see both Burns and Bouchard again tonight. And Veilleux.. he's only 22, that's young.
I predict the Wild will score 2 goals.

Funny quote from an article about Willie Mitchell in the Pioneer Press (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ey/8067121.htm) (not gameday related, just thought it was funny.. it's about Willie and his urge to do more offensively)

Quote:
One 2-year-old lecture is burned into Mitchell's memory. He scored one of his two goals that season against Detroit's Dominik Hasek, pumping three shots at the Dominator in a 3-3 tie with the Red Wings that left Mitchell with visions of Bobby Orr dancing in his head.

"Jacques pulls me into the back room and says, 'Willie. Three chances for. Pretty good, pretty good,' " Mitchell recounts in his best French accent. " 'Three chances against. Not so good. Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Brett Hull. Three chances for them, three chances for Willie. Who's scored more goals?'"

Old
02-29-2004, 12:54 PM
DW

I'm looking for the Wild to come out with some intensity tonight. I think the Wild will start putting some of there young guys in the lineup. (Which is too late by the way!) How about a 3-1 win for the home team. Carolina is playing the second game of a back-to-back today. Let's hope they look sluggish.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:03 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Tough loss last night for the Canes in a very boring game. Here's hoping the guys can match the intensity of the Wild and the offense decides to show up.

Irbe is going tonight, and he looked very sharp in his first game. Canes defensively have been playing well, but like I said earlier they are going into a wierd offensive funk. Cole might piss you guys off tonight; he's been driving to the net a ton lately.

Here's to a good game

Old
02-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Plan 9

Pittsburgh fan here, just wanted to say how happy I am to see Daigle doing well in Minnesota. 12 assists in the last 11 games and 35 points on the season. I know he is in a bit of a scoring slump now, but is it safe to say that he has impressed the fans, coach, and management with his play this season? Do you see him being a part of the teams plans next year and beyond?

Old
02-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre
Pittsburgh fan here, just wanted to say how happy I am to see Daigle doing well in Minnesota. 12 assists in the last 11 games and 35 points on the season. I know he is in a bit of a scoring slump now, but is it safe to say that he has impressed the fans, coach, and management with his play this season? Do you see him being a part of the teams plans next year and beyond?
I would say generally yes to the first question, and definitely yes to the second.

He had a rough patch in the middle of the season, where he just seemed to get stuck in a rut and was scratched for several games - but he sought out Lemaire and asked him to have faith in him a little longer, and now he's been on a tear ever since mid-January. Management seems to think they won't be in a position to accurately evaluate him until sometime next season, but they clearly like what they see so far. Fans? I don't know. I've been a big supporter of the guy right from Day One, and there are a lot of other Wild fans who are genuinely glad to watch him "finding" himself here. But there are still a few who think he's going to fold up and quit any minute - although every game he has like tonight's game seems to weed out a few more of those pessimists.

As for next year - I think he's definitely part of the team's plan for next year. I think they have very high hopes for him - not necessarily expectations, but high hopes. He's shown some tantalizing flashes of what a dominant, game-breaking player he can be, and I think Risebrough wants to see whether he can ever pull that whole package together on a consistent basis. He's going to get a lot of ice time at next year's training camp.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:29 PM
ceber

I hope Daigle sticks around. He's definitely contributing on offense, is defensively responsible, and is exciting to watch. Only thing I have against him, which I really could say about almost anyone on the team, is that he sometimes sticks around on a shift a little too long and gets too tired, or sometimes seems a little unsure of what to do with the puck.

I thought Irbe played great tonight. Based on this game, I can't see why he shouldn't find a spot in the NHL somewhere. He was very stable, it looked like to me.

Was Cole the guy who just rocked Gabby in open ice? (Don't marvel at the beauty of your pass, Gabby... sheesh. ) I'd say a couple of the 'Canes were carrying chips on their shoulders tonight. A good, fun, fiesty game, I thought. Pretty even throughout, really, although there were a couple of times I thought we were going to completely lose it. The refs really let 'em play for the most part. Sometimes that's fun, sometimes not so much. I think tonight it was fun.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Plan 9

Thanks for the responses guys. Best of luck.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre
Thanks for the responses guys. Best of luck.
The thing about your boy is that he sometimes doesn't seem to fully understand what kind of talent he has - I've seen him make some absolutely amazing, split-second plays that nobody else on the team (and few people in the league) could even dream of making, and he doesn't even seem to realize he did it. This guy has hockey sense to a degree that few other people are blessed with, and that hockey sense combined with his physical talents makes him a very dangerous player. He could light the league up next season if they get a playmaking center to work between him and Gaborik.

We are very glad to have him here, and it's way cool to see someone from one of his old teams stop by and wish him well. You're a class act, man. Thanks for coming over.

Old
03-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Gaborik10

No, it was St.Jacques....that guy's a beast. He totaly cleaned Gabby's clock on that one, and then later he took out Pascal and Wiemer. Nice job for Henry for sticking up for Gaborik. It seemed that last year our guys were reluctant to do that when big hits happened on our best players. Good to see that. I thought it was very entertaining, and it was nice to see Zyuz get 2 after being in Lemaire's doghouse. Gabby scored to, which was nice in front of the home crowd. Overall good game!!!

Old
03-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik10
No, it was St.Jacques....that guy's a beast. He totaly cleaned Gabby's clock on that one, and then later he took out Pascal and Wiemer. Nice job for Henry for sticking up for Gaborik. It seemed that last year our guys were reluctant to do that when big hits happened on our best players. Good to see that. I thought it was very entertaining, and it was nice to see Zyuz get 2 after being in Lemaire's doghouse. Gabby scored to, which was nice in front of the home crowd. Overall good game!!!

The Gaborik hit was Cole but St. Jacques did have some big hits last night. They are easy to mix up because their jersey numbers are 26 and 25 respectively.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
The thing about your boy is that he sometimes doesn't seem to fully understand what kind of talent he has - I've seen him make some absolutely amazing, split-second plays that nobody else on the team (and few people in the league) could even dream of making, and he doesn't even seem to realize he did it. This guy has hockey sense to a degree that few other people are blessed with, and that hockey sense combined with his physical talents makes him a very dangerous player. He could light the league up next season if they get a playmaking center to work between him and Gaborik.
I absolutely agree on this assessment - the guy is easily the best playmaker on the Wild. Wasn't he a center originally? I've been impressed with his play, and how he carries himself on the ice - he's not afraid to go into the corners and pay the price. Great recalamtion project.

Old
03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Gaborik10

Really? The announcers said it was St.Jacques.....hmn.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I absolutely agree on this assessment - the guy is easily the best playmaker on the Wild. Wasn't he a center originally? I've been impressed with his play, and how he carries himself on the ice - he's not afraid to go into the corners and pay the price. Great recalamtion project.
This post reminds me of one play that really told me a lot about Daigle. It was a month or two ago. I don't recall who they were playing, but the opposing defenseman went into the corner to get get control of the puck. Daigle swooped in behind the net, absolutely drilled the guy into the boards, and in the same motion picked the puck off the guy's stick and swept it out to Dupuis (?) at the point, who one-timed it past a goalie who still thought his D-man had the puck in the corner. That was an eye-popper - one of the best plays I've seen a Wild player make all year, and Daigle made it look as simple and as effortless as hopping over the boards. He saw so much in a single glance, and made it all happen in a split-second. There's no other player on the team who can do that, and not many in the league. If he can ever put that together on a regular basis, he's going to be a force of nature.

Closed Thread