HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Kronwall gets 5 Year Deal!

Old
06-21-2007, 07:01 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Perhaps somewhat competent, rookie GM JFJ knew that he was bargaining from a position of strength with a player who hadn't proven anything due to injury.
Kronwall doesn't have to prove anything. He's the Wings #2/#3 by default. Colaiacovo will at best be #4/#5 unless a couple guys get traded.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211491&hubname=

Colaiacovo is 24, injury prone all-round defenseman with little to show in terms of NHL accomplishments between injuries. So far he has: 73-10-16-26

If we recall, Kronwall was 25 and had a career total of: 69-2-18-20 (playoffs included)
And we should care why? I come to this board in particular to hear about the Wings..... I don't give a **** what the Leafs do.

Zetterberg4Captain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I'm just curious, are we going to bring this thread up every single time a young defensemen gets a new contract?

Some people sure are hard to please. Some people get grumpy when a new thread is started every time certain topics come up (when they could fit into older threads). And then some people get grumpy when old threads are dug up, even if the topic is related!

The weather in Michigan has been beautiful this week too.

Oh.... and JFG seems to be unable to keep himself from overpaying defensemen.

Old
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
A lot of comments were made about the cost of young, soon-to-be and UFA defensemen... and how Kronwall's deal would look like a bargain.

July 1st is only a few days away.

Not to open any wounds, but which defense was better in the playoffs, Detroit's or Ottawa's?

Old
06-21-2007, 08:06 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Not to open any wounds, but which defense was better in the playoffs, Detroit's or Ottawa's?
Ottawa's. They shut down the 1st and 3rd best offenses in the league, but were unable to pad their defensive numbers against a team that rolled over and died before it even made the playoffs like Calgary did.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Ottawa's. They shut down the 1st and 3rd best offenses in the league, but were unable to pad their defensive numbers against a team that rolled over and died before it even made the playoffs like Calgary did.
If we're talking fully healthy lineups, Ottawa isn't better than Detroit's.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:36 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Seems to me that Coloaiacovo is vastly underpaid right now and he'll be getting a pretty nice contract when they can re-negotiate in a few years.
I don't think he's underpaid. He's just not as good as people thought he'd be. He was behind Ian White and Hal Gill in TOI this year. He was the Leafs' sixth defenseman, and it's not like they have a great defense. I don't think Kronwall and Colaiacovo are good comparables. Kronwall has been one of the best defensemen at every level he's played at when healthy, even internationally.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
TRIARII*

back when kronwall signed this contract i think i remember alot of posters saying this meant schneiders gone , which made sense to me mainly because if he was retained itd keep us with the same smallish defense = lids - cheli - lebs - kron - schneider that has a tough time clearing traffic . a point domi aluded to after playoffs .

so in my logic im thinking that if schneider signs lebda shall be moved to make room for a bigger guy somewhere in the pairings . maybe like quincey with cheli , then another bigger body but not costy on the 2nd pairing with schneider . anyone else see it that way .

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:10 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
If we're talking fully healthy lineups, Ottawa isn't better than Detroit's.
Well, we had this argument earlier in the thread. I see your defense as Lidstrom, Babcock's system and a bunch of "meh" defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13 View Post
I don't think he's underpaid. He's just not as good as people thought he'd be. He was behind Ian White and Hal Gill in TOI this year. He was the Leafs' sixth defenseman, and it's not like they have a great defense. I don't think Kronwall and Colaiacovo are good comparables. Kronwall has been one of the best defensemen at every level he's played at when healthy, even internationally.
He's 2 years younger, started on the IR... and his ATOI was increased a lot after his first 15 games or so (~14 mins for those 15 games). Over their last 10 games of the season, White was around 16 mins and Cola around 19. He isn't an exact comparable yet... but it's coming.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote