HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

DEBATE: Where would the Kings be in the standings if everyone were healthy all year

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 04:02 PM
willie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
what would their offense be like if everyone was healthy?

Aulin - Allison - Deadmarsh
Palffy - Stumpel - Klatt
Frolov - Laperriere - Robitaille
Barney - Belanger - Straka

sure palffy - allison - deadmarsh would be great. but you could stretch that team for 4 scary lines
Pure offensive mode?

Deadmarsh - Allison - Cammalleri
Straka - Belanger - Palffy
Frolov - Stumpel - Barney
Robitaille - Armstrong - Klatt

To win mode?

Deadmarsh - Allison - Palffy
Frolov - Stumpel - Straka
Robitaille - Armstrong - Klatt
Avery - Belanger - Laperrierre

Old
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I think they would definitely be leading the division. Just Palffy, Allison and Deadmarsh are 3 elite NHL players that can each make a huge difference and move a team up the standings singlehandedly.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
The Kings were doing great untill they dropped to Injury and that was after they had already lost Allison and someone else you mentioned for the season.

They'd be dominating their Division at this point but would probably be beteen for the 1st and 2nd spots so would wind up 3rd, possibly 4th or 5th in Points

Their situation would deffintly be a 180 from what it currently is.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:17 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
Name that case. Show me any team who has been close to impacted as LA.

We are talking about LA's four *best* forwards and two of their top three defenseman. And then throw in all those support players who keep getting injured to boot. There is just no way around, LA has easily been the most impacted team by injuries.
exactly ... also I'd like to add that other teams are getting healthy now, whereas the Kings cannot. At least those teams are getting the majority of their guys back. We've been without ours for most of the year and probably some forever.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:27 PM
PhillyNucksFan

LA Kings should be renamed to

LA Glass Sticks, break so easy..

Anyone who moved onto LA team seem to break easily too

Old
03-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Grady41

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Did the Kings really expect Allison, Deadmarsh or Aulin to play this season? Do you really think Allison and Deadmarsh will play next season?

My question is, would the Kings team defense by as effective if more of their "offensive" players were in the line-up, turning the puck over more, take more chance, blowing more assignments.
I don't think Aulin was expected to play in the NHL anyway he would have been giving his shot in training camp though but he was not a lock for the NHL this season.

Allison and Deader were expected back though. But Management I feel didn't know the extent of the injuries. I remember that they kept pushing back the date. They will be back for camp, Then opening day, than at the beginning of the new year. I have no hope for their return. At least this season I no longer carry hope for. Next season it would be nice if Adam could still play in the NHL I feel bad for him cause his carrer may be over. Allison has more of a chance to return to the NHL i feel but doubt he plays for the kings again. He would need to take a huge paycut for that and possibly anyteam.

Its hard to say how good the teams "d" would be as a whole. Allison and Deadmarsh are pretty effictive at both ends but our D would probably have still included Holland although in limited minutes. However if we were JA and AD were healthy we might have picked up a defenseman instead of a foward (Straka).
The key though as has been said is that our goaltending is better than before.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:58 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan
LA Kings should be renamed to

LA Glass Sticks, break so easy..

Anyone who moved onto LA team seem to break easily too

OK.

What I find funny is that the majourity of the people saying that the Kings wouldn't be a much improved team (obviously) if they were healthy are fans of a team that even with our rag tag group of mostly AHLers, we have beaten soundly this season every time we played them. It is funny how hard they are willing to argue the point but of course, they would have to, it serves them. If we had our full roster and did this they would have other excuses. Since it is our depth guys doing this to them it has to be the fact that the are playin heart and soul and that there can be no possibly way that Ziggy/Allison/Deader/Miller/Lubo would come in and be gritty contributers. I mean, those are a soft as cream cheese lot if I have ever seen one.

Right.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
OK.

What I find funny is that the majourity of the people saying that the Kings wouldn't be a much improved team (obviously) if they were healthy are fans of a team that even with our rag tag group of mostly AHLers, we have beaten soundly this season every time we played them. It is funny how hard they are willing to argue the point but of course, they would have to, it serves them. If we had our full roster and did this they would have other excuses. Since it is our depth guys doing this to them it has to be the fact that the are playin heart and soul and that there can be no possibly way that Ziggy/Allison/Deader/Miller/Lubo would come in and be gritty contributers. I mean, those are a soft as cream cheese lot if I have ever seen one.

Right.
I am surprised too. I would think adding Deadmarsh, Allison, Palffy, Straka, Miller and Visnovsky would be worth at least 10 points.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:09 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I am surprised too. I would think adding Deadmarsh, Allison, Palffy, Straka, Miller and Visnovsky would be worth at least 10 points.
Me too ... having Deadmarsh, Palffy and Allison et. al could've been the difference in the many ties we have this season. Not to mention the chemistry that line had when they were playing together a couple seasons ago and the beginning of last season. They were as good, if not better than any top line in the NHL, IMHO.

Old
03-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthrash
Other teams are afflicted as well. Just because they don't happen to reach the apparently almighty number of man-games lost as LA doesn't mean the impacts are as harsh, even moreso in some cases.
O really? How many teams in the NHL know that they won't get their top 3 forwards (A line that carried them into the playoffs two years ago...lets not forget the Kings were a one line team) back this season and most likely 2 of them (Allison and Deadmarsh) won't even wear another King's jersey again.

Old
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Kearney

1) you all sound like a bunch of whiners and I wish you would keep it on the LA board.

2) if you really want to drive the point home, the better question would be: how would each other team fare with their 4 top-scoring forwards out, and their #2 and #3 defensemen (and their goaltender)

Old
03-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Lyons71

What if Mario were healthy? 130 points?

Old
03-01-2004, 07:51 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
If Cechmanek played more... probably last in the league.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan

I'd go with the Saran Wrap suggestion posted in a similar Kings thread.

Guess I better save my Kings win the Cup fantasies for NHL 2004

Last edited by Afino: 03-01-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old
03-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Afino
The Juice

Yea, but honestly, with all the injuries (especially on defence), they could be a LOT worse off right now. Sigh...Kings are my 2nd favorite team..hope they can find a way into the playoffs

Old
03-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Looger

as the kings are #1 in division scoring, i'll be the one to say their team defence has suffered.

i watched the 4-4 tie with calgary early feb, the kings had seriously ugly breakdowns in their own zone to go down early.

could a more experienced crew have had less of the 'underdog i'll be on a bus in shreveport tomorrow' mentality, but only been down two goals?

i'd say five more points.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I think we would be competing for the conference. Were missing our top line. Deadmarsh/allison/palffy plus other good forwards and 2 key d-man. I could type a full page but i dont feel like it.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:16 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
The reality of it all is the Kings will NEVER be Healthy, and we will NEVER know what they COULD achieve. What matters is, is what they ARE achieving w/ the injuries. But this thread kind of sounds like the Kings fans (which is me) are just trying to make an excuse if they dont make the playoffs. Injuries are not an excuse, and the Kings aren't using injuries as one.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan

Then why does he having a winning record???

Old
03-02-2004, 01:51 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Lots of your information is incorrect and your assumptions are as well. What makes you think that they knew Allison would miss a "couple of months" in the off season? They didn't know that until right before the start of the regualar season and even then, felt they had enough to get by until he came back. What makes you think that they would let down from their heart and soul game that they play without these guys in the line up just because they came back?

It isn't like Andy Murray wouldn't have coached the exact same system getting the maximum out of his players or do anything any differently if these guys were in the line up. It is how they played before these guys went down and how they play whenever we are healthy as well.

Your assumptions just don't figure up to people who watch the Kings all of the time.

it isn't like they would be adding a couple of soft scoring forwards back and that these guys don't play with guts and that the coach would do anything any differently.
You or I don't know one way or the other what the Kings would be like with those guys in the lineup. We can't know for sure because we haven't seen it. You assumed they would be much better; that assumption could be right or it could be wrong for other reasons that we do not know. I assumed that some of the players given the chance because of those injuries are playing their hearts out because they have been given the chance to play an increased roll and they desperately desire to stay in the league; I could be right that if those players got less or no time in the NHL that a lot of the heart the team is showing would not be as evident or I could be wrong and maybe that whole effect would carry over once the big boys got back to playing. The point is there is no possible way either of us can know, despite what the numbers say or what we may think.

I apologize about not knowing the entire situation, an error on my part. But part of my previous statement still holds true. LA might not have known for sure these guys were going to be out, but any good organization and coaching staff would prepare a contingency if there was the slightest chance they were not able to play. And from all I've seen, the Kings do have a very good coaching staff and good people in management. So this did not catch them totally unawares, they had time to prepare for it just in case. It was without a doubt a harsh blow to the team, and I give a ton of credit to Murray for overcoming that.

All I'm saying is that most injuries don't come with a warning and time to prepare, and if there are enough injuries in a short span the effects can be devestating to a team with less depth. Feel lucky that your team has enough quality depth to call upon, many other teams don't. Both our assumptions were wrong on some level (most assumptions are anyhow). The point is fairly moot as neither of us will know if we were closer to being right or closer to being wrong.

Old
03-02-2004, 05:59 AM
feff

vCash: 350
Send a message via Yahoo to feff
Not that I disagree with the fact they would be a better team here are my thoughts:
- Without those injuries, Straka is not sought after. IIRC, he was brought in to fill a massive hole.
- The Kings don't play to tie every game. I mean, take away the sister kiss and the mercy point, maybe they'd be ahead, but I agree with the posters that say their style would be different.
- I'm also looking at their D and thinking maybe they wouldn't have tried to get an upgrade on D with all of that firepower.

In any event, they would probably better, but how. A few more losses? A few less ties? A few more wins? Hard to say, but man, I'd be freaked if I was a player and I was traded there. It's sick what's gone on there.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feff
- Without those injuries, Straka is not sought after.
Not true. The Kings had been looking to aquire another top six foward since the draft. With the price the Kings ended up paying for him (2.4 mil) he could have easily been added to the payroll.

It's hard to say really. If the Kings were leading the Conference, then maybe they don't add him. Or perhaps, they add him and then some in an effort to win the cup. Unfortunately for me, we will never know.

Closed Thread