HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dubinsky

Old
06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
It's not inconceivable that they try to move Cullen if he doesn't start producing on a regular basis... He had a sub par first half of the season and played much noticeably better the second half of the season....

If he has another poor performance for a long duration in the future, I would not be surprised if they tried to shop him, particularly if another prospect (like Dubinsky) is ready to step up and assume 3rd line duty as a Center....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 06:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It's not inconceivable that they try to move Cullen if he doesn't start producing on a regular basis... He had a sub par first half of the season and played much noticeably better the second half of the season....

If he has another poor performance for a long duration in the future, I would not be surprised if they tried to shop him, particularly if another prospect (like Dubinsky) is ready to step up and assume 3rd line duty as a Center....
Cullen is what he is. When all is said and done he basically had a typical Matt Cullen season last year. He was only six 8 points shy of what he did last season (and that was without playing the point on the powerplay).

As far as producing on a regular basis, that's just not what he does. His average career numbers show that.

06-20-2007, 06:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I don't just mean scoring goals or racking up points, but being a FACTOR out on the ice during the games.... Often during the first half of the season he was invisible in ineffective....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't just mean scoring goals or racking up points, but being a FACTOR out on the ice during the games.... Often during the first half of the season he was invisible in ineffective....
That time coincided when he was being played out of position as a 2nd line center. Renney did not place him into a position best suited for his success. That would 3rd line center and pointman on the PP. Once Renney finally moved him to the 3rd line, Cullen's play improved dramatically.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
I'm thinking only callahan and Valiquette* will be brought up to broadway right away. Anyone else pending a Rag's injury.

* Has anyone heard anything on weekes? or the future of our back-up goalie position?
I thought of this today at work and haven't heard much info on him, although I definetly wouldn't mind him back, whats going on with Girardi?

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
I thought of this today at work and haven't heard much info on him, although I definetly wouldn't mind him back, whats going on with Girardi?
getting ready for next season....what info are you looking for?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That time coincided when he was being played out of position as a 2nd line center. Renney did not place him into a position best suited for his success. That would 3rd line center and pointman on the PP. Once Renney finally moved him to the 3rd line, Cullen's play improved dramatically.
Agreed. I actually liked the way Cullen played once he moved to the 3rd line. He played with a lot of energy and his face-offs improved. I'm looking forward to see him anchor the 3rd line next season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Pizza

Cullen proved that the 3rd line is where he really belongs. He just seemed lost on that 2nd line. If I fault Renney on anything, it's that he sometimes lets the experiment drag on a little long.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 06:59 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I know Philadelphia wanted him (Dubinsky) for Forsberg last year but you guys refused. So either they have plans for him or the package the Flyers wanted wasn't in the Rangers favor.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441 View Post
I know Philadelphia wanted him (Dubinsky) for Forsberg last year but you guys refused. So either they have plans for him or the package the Flyers wanted wasn't in the Rangers favor.
Rumor was that Philly wanted the Rangers 1st round pick too. So, it was both, Rangers see him as a possible impact player down the road and the package y'all wanted was too much.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Cullen is what he is. When all is said and done he basically had a typical Matt Cullen season last year. He was only six 8 points shy of what he did last season (and that was without playing the point on the powerplay).

As far as producing on a regular basis, that's just not what he does. His average career numbers show that.
Exactly how I view it.

Cullen is a guy who can lift a team in spurts but is ideally a third line center who ocassionally slides up a line or over to the wings as needed. When he's on, he's basically a very good utlity player.

As for Dubinsky, it all depends on camp. The Rangers are in an awkward situation now where they are faced with the same problem they had going into last seaosn.

You have a prospect who could make it, but really isn't a sure thing. Now do you leave a spot open and hope he wins it? The danger in that is exactly what happened last season; the kid doesn't make it and now you have a VERY big hole to fill. Couple that with the uncertainty of Nylander and you've got an area that could be strength or a big weakness depending on how the pieces fall.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Exactly how I view it.

Cullen is a guy who can lift a team in spurts but is ideally a third line center who ocassionally slides up a line or over to the wings as needed. When he's on, he's basically a very good utlity player.

As for Dubinsky, it all depends on camp. The Rangers are in an awkward situation now where they are faced with the same problem they had going into last seaosn.

You have a prospect who could make it, but really isn't a sure thing. Now do you leave a spot open and hope he wins it? The danger in that is exactly what happened last season; the kid doesn't make it and now you have a VERY big hole to fill. Couple that with the uncertainty of Nylander and you've got an area that could be strength or a big weakness depending on how the pieces fall.
And, where have YOU been, what, with the draft only a day way? Good to see you safe and sound.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:13 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Exactly how I view it.

It............is..................alive!!!!!

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
getting ready for next season....what info are you looking for?
Will he have a perm spot w/ the big club along with Cally & Vally opening night? or will he be in hartford?

personally I think he is a heck of a lot better than Rachunek. Malik gets the most abuse for his screw ups but I feel like hes a step-up from Rachunek.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And, where have YOU been, what, with the draft only a day way? Good to see you safe and sound.
Long story that I could probably go into more detail about AFTER the draft.

I won't be on much this weekend though, so I'm trying to get it all out of the way tonight.

Old
06-21-2007, 09:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Long story that I could probably go into more detail about AFTER the draft.

I won't be on much this weekend though, so I'm trying to get it all out of the way tonight.
Good. So cram in as much juicy stuff as you can. Like how realistic is the Maloney interest in Montoya? Or, if Cherepanov falls due to the fear NHL GMs have due to the lack of a transfer agreement, hiw quickly do the Rangers go after him? Or what about if someone like Couture falls? And please tell me the Rangers have NO interest in Aliu.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Edge

Maloney is interested in Montoya but I don't think it's as hot and heavy as some believe.

The Rangers would get someone if they felt the deal was good, but the name I keep hearing a lot of is Sam Gagner. I think they'd certainly take Cherepanov if he fell out of the top 10 but I can't see them moving into the top 10 to snag him.

The fears with him are as much about his boom or bust potential as the transfer agreement. Personally I am more concerned about the former.

I'm sure they'd take a flyer on Couture, though the general opinion on him is mixed. Some see him as a Rod Brindamour type, others as a Daniel Tkachuk clone.

Haven't heard anything about Aliu.

I could see the Rangers trading down to get an extra pick. They really like about 5 players and then there is a big drop for them after that.

Old
06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Edge -- Any word on if they like JvR or do they see him as a Hugh clone and are warry of him?

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Edge -- Any word on if they like JvR or do they see him as a Hugh clone and are warry of him?
I'd personally be shocked if he wasn't in there group of 5 or 6 talents. I'm taking a guess here based on what little I've heard but I think they view it was Kane, Gagner, Turris, JVR, Voracek and Cherepanov in no particular order.

For whatever reason though, IF they did anything (and I see the more likely scenario being them trading down rather than up) I just have a feeling it'd be for Gagner.