Jiggy doesn't want to be the highest paid goalie

Old
06-20-2007, 03:14 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Ditto, the yearly is a bit high but if it's for 3 years that is probably better than say a five year deal. Does anyone know what the payroll would be if this happens?(And subtracting Bryz's salary via trade makes this type of figure possible)
That's the exact reason why it's three years and not five years. Originally, both would have liked a long term deal, but the money would have been outrageous - something like 31m to 36m so they back tracked on the number of years and now it's a case of fine tuning. If the hell doesn't freeze over I can't see why this isn't done by the end of this weekend.

As for Bryzgalov.....I am not so sure he'll get moved. His salary is prime right now for the Ducks and if they did deal him they would have to fine another goalie. Now I know many have mentioned Hiller, but I don't believe he will be in Anaheim this year. First, his cap hit is 3.2m and if Giguere gets the expected 6.4m that means close to 10m will spent just on the goaltending tandem. Especially if Giguere is going to get his normal number of starts pending injuries.

If they do trade him, I think the Ducks will bring in somebody else. I know they have been speaking to Esche's agent and have shown some interest there.

If not, they may just keep him and then deal him in a year for draft picks to a team that will sign him to a UFA deal and then bring up Hiller, McKee or who knows maybe LaVasseur will be ready.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Randall Graves*

But why sign Hiller if he has a cap number you don't really want on the roster? especially with the glut of goaltending, remember while his cap hit is 3.2 it's what he actually makes that will determine his spot with the self imposed cap.

So say while he has a cap hold of 3.2 the Ducks may only have to pay him 1.2 or whatever it is he's due to make. If the team was close to the cap that might impact the decision more imo.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
That's the exact reason why it's three years and not five years. Originally, both would have liked a long term deal, but the money would have been outrageous - something like 31m to 36m so they back tracked on the number of years and now it's a case of fine tuning. If the hell doesn't freeze over I can't see why this isn't done by the end of this weekend.
Wildcat, how solid is this information? Give us a wc1 through wc5.

I'm not doubting you, and I'm glad that you explained your position on the Niedermayer situation. I trust you a hell of a lot more than I trust Eklund, but then I trust my stool a hell of a lot more than I trust Eklund so that isn't saying much.

Quote:
Now I know many have mentioned Hiller, but I don't believe he will be in Anaheim this year. First, his cap hit is 3.2m ...
Are you serious? Why would they agree to sign that deal?

Thanks for all the info, WC.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
But why sign Hiller if he has a cap number you don't really want on the roster?
Good question. And that's a really high cap number for an unproven commodity. That doesn't sound like Burke to me. Where'd you get that number, WC?

Talking with Esche indicates to me that they intend to trade Bryz. If Jiggy is getting re-signed, that's the move that makes sense. He's probably worth a first round pick to some team.

Old
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Pepper

I guess it's the same as with McKee, huge bonuses that resulted a huge cap hit despite him playing in the AHL.

But 3.2M cap hit per year?? There's no way he was given that much bonuses.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
Wildcat, how solid is this information? Give us a wc1 through wc5.

I'm not doubting you, and I'm glad that you explained your position on the Niedermayer situation. I trust you a hell of a lot more than I trust Eklund, but then I trust my stool a hell of a lot more than I trust Eklund so that isn't saying much.

Are you serious? Why would they agree to sign that deal?

Thanks for all the info, WC.
If I had to rate this I would say wc4.....

But, my take on Eklund is this. He's not all that bad, he does work extremely hard to make sure he can get the best information. However, at the end of the day he's either a hero or a villain, but in reality he's only as good as his information. That is the same thing with me. I'm only as good as my sources....If they tell me something worth reporting....I will and if not I won't, but in the end it could be bang on correct or I could be left looking like the biggest fool around. That's a risk I have to take when I post and I write an article.

Now back to the goalie situation. Hiller's cap number really is 3.2m....It was a little surprising when I found out too. His base salary is only 850K, but the remaining 2.35m is bonuses, which I am working on to find out what they are exactly and the thresholds are.

Old
06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I guess it's the same as with McKee, huge bonuses that resulted a huge cap hit despite him playing in the AHL.

But 3.2M cap hit per year?? There's no way he was given that much bonuses.
You win the prize!!

That's the big reason...He'll earn his 850K anyway playing in Portland so if they can keep him off the books and playing in the system for this year then I think they will.

Remember they don't lose his rights....He's going to only be an RFA next year so he'll be back and most likely in Anaheim.

Old
06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Jiggy is saying he doesn't want to be a high paid goalie, but he's asking for minimum 6 mil..??

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
They can't afford him though. They first have to do something with Cloutier and even then they won't have a lot of room to work with considering they have many other areas for improvement too. Sean Burke proved they just need adequate goaltending to be competitive. They need a play-making, two-way center that can log minutes on the PP and PK (Chris Drury) and a d-man that can QB their anemic PP (Sourray or Rafalski). If they break the bank on a goalie like Jiggy, they may take a huge step backwards.

That and Jiggy knows LA is where goalies go to die and he is smart enough to avoid that situation.
The Kings have more cap room than most teams in the league.

They dumped Norstrom, Conroy, and Sopel last year. Other than Blake (1 year left on his $6M deal), their most expensive player is (I believe) Frolov at around $2.5M.

LA has around $25 million to spend this offseason, not including raises to players like Cammalleri. They can EASILY overpay for Giguere.

If they got Giguere, Cloutier would spend the entire season in Manchester, where he would not count against the cap.

For discussion sake: Briere ($6M), Giguere ($6M), and Hannan ($3.5M) would leave plenty of room for the Kings to re-sign their guys and sign some filler players.

Frolov - Kopitar - Cammalleri
O'Sullivan - Briere - Brown
Willsie - Armstrong - Kostopoulos
Ivanans - Thornton - Zeiler

Blake - Jack Johnson
Visnovsky - Hannan
Miller (most likely re-signed) - Weaver/Dallman/Harrold/Petiot, etc.

Giguere
LaBarbara
Ersberg

And this team still has money to spend.

also, where do you come up with this "PP QB needed"? Visnovsky and Blake are two of the better QBs in the league.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 06-20-2007 at 01:08 PM.
RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:15 PM
caliamad

I think the talk is that the kings won't be going after a goalie... instead their looking to upgrade their defense. There is talk of making a move w/ Philly and Pitkanen and/or the 2nd overall pick.

I like the Hannan and Briere/Drury idea though, I think they would all be a very good fit and make the team a playoff contender.

I don't think it would be wise for them to spend 7 mil on jiggy though.

It sounds like Burke and Giguere's camp are close. 3 year deal around 5.75 i'm guessing.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
I think the talk is that the kings won't be going after a goalie... instead their looking to upgrade their defense. There is talk of making a move w/ Philly and Pitkanen and/or the 2nd overall pick.

I like the Hannan and Briere/Drury idea though, I think they would all be a very good fit and make the team a playoff contender.

I don't think it would be wise for them to spend 7 mil on jiggy though.

It sounds like Burke and Giguere's camp are close. 3 year deal around 5.75 i'm guessing.
The 2nd overall pick doesn't make sense for the Kings. They have #4 right now and will probably trade it for a later pick and take a defenseman.

Old
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
Jiggy is saying he doesn't want to be a high paid goalie, but he's asking for minimum 6 mil..??
But he's still not the highest paid goalie!

Old
06-20-2007, 01:25 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
also, where do you come up with this "PP QB needed"? Visnovsky and Blake are two of the better QBs in the league.
I watched a lot of Kings games this year and the PP wasn't pretty. Granted, it scored a number of goals but considering how talented Frolov, Cammalleri, Kopitar, Vishnovsky and Brown are, they should have scored a lot more. Blake is over-the-hill and doesn't have his old stuff anymore. Lubo is a great PP weapon but is better suited as a receiver rather than the QB, much like how we use Beauchemin. I think if the Kings add a d-man that can handle that load they could have one of the best PP in the league.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I watched a lot of Kings games this year and the PP wasn't pretty. Granted, it scored a number of goals but considering how talented Frolov, Cammalleri, Kopitar, Vishnovsky and Brown are, they should have scored a lot more. Blake is over-the-hill and doesn't have his old stuff anymore. Lubo is a great PP weapon but is better suited as a receiver rather than the QB, much like how we use Beauchemin. I think if the Kings add a d-man that can handle that load they could have one of the best PP in the league.
I don't blame the PP on the defensemen. The forwards couldn't score enough.

Old
06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
caliamad

I actually think it wasn't enough traffic in front of the net.

Guys like Kopitar and Cammileri are terrific cycling the puck but I don't see them paying the price in front of the net like a Perry, Kunitz, Marchant, etc.

Brown seems like the guy to get it done, but don't know if he does it enough.

Old
06-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
Good question. And that's a really high cap number for an unproven commodity. That doesn't sound like Burke to me. Where'd you get that number, WC?

Talking with Esche indicates to me that they intend to trade Bryz. If Jiggy is getting re-signed, that's the move that makes sense. He's probably worth a first round pick to some team.
Well Bobby Ryan has a cap hit that's about the same, but I don't think the cap hit will determine Hillers spot. If we maintain the 42-44 mil Hillers 'cap number' doesn't mean a whole lot, its what he actually gets paid that will matter to the ducks.

Now if the team was close to the cap that may play a much bigger factor.

If he's the backup to Giguere I think it would be unlikely he makes all his bonus', he may make some but overall he is still affordable IMO.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:12 PM
caliamad

I wonder what the bonus is based off of, but most likely its some stats of those for a #1 goalie.

If Giguere plays the lion share, he most likely won't meet them.

If Giguere gets hurt enough for him to meet them, we'd probably get some salary cap relief to compensate for the bonus.

But the real issue isn't the league's salary cup, but the economic one the ducks use, which is somewhere around 42-44 million.

Old
06-22-2007, 01:51 AM
cmcdmania

Quote:
"I am sure that either I or Giguere will be leaving the club soon, since Anaheim have signed a strong Swiss keeper, Jonas Hiller," said Bryzgalov. "Giguere had a nice season, and I think Anaheim can sign him.

"Though I have an existing contract with the Ducks ($1.8 million for '07-'08), and I have proven I deserve to be on the team, I am not the one who will decide. It all depends on our general manager, Brian Burke."
So Jiggy's been resigned and there's a big possibility that Bryz will be gone, looks like Bryz was expecting something like that. I'm gonna miss him.

Question though: do we currently have 4 goalies: Jiggy, Bryz, Hiller, & Caron?

Edit: make that 3 (with Bryz) - forgot Caron signed with Switzerland.

Last edited by cmcdmania: 06-22-2007 at 02:24 AM.
cmcdmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:04 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdmania View Post
So Jiggy's been resigned and there's a big possibility that Bryz will be gone, looks like Bryz was expecting something like that. I'm gonna miss him.

Question though: do we currently have 4 goalies: Jiggy, Bryz, Hiller, & Caron?
Burke said Bryz is pretty much as good as gone. Register article about signing Jiggy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Register
“Ilya Bryzgalov has clearly established that he is capable of starting in the NHL,” Burke said. “I expect him to ask me to find him a new home.”

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 03:06 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Anaheim has Giguere, Bryzgalov, Caron, Hiller, McKee, Coleman, LeVasseur

Giguere - Signed Ducks #1 goalie

Bryzgalov - Has a year left on his deal, will most likely be traded.

Caron - Signed in Europe, but the Ducks still own his rights because he's an RFA....He could be brought back.

Hiller - Expected to be #1 goaltender in Portland, but will get a chance to make Anaheim.

McKee - Expected to play in Portland

Coleman and Levasseur - Will be in Augusta.

The Ducks are looking at Esche, MacDonald and Weeks as a possible back-up should they trade Bryzgalov.