HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Footwear for roller hockey goalie

Old
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Footwear for roller hockey goalie

I'm just now getting into playing goalie in roller hockey. I just got my own equipment pretty cheap but my only concern is my feet. I don't want to shell out $350 for a pair of inline goalie skates, so I will just play on my feet. However, last time I played, I got a slapshot right in the toe and it's hurt ever since (about 10 days since).

Is there anything special I can get to protect my feet or any specific type of sneaker anyone wears while playing goalie in roller hockey?

Thanks.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
SteelCitySensFan

Steel Toe Boots would prolly work, or if its that big of trouble you could just kinda make a pad for it. Something like players wear on the sides of their skates when they get a foot injury.

SteelCitySensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 12:04 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Try using aggressive skates that stunt roller bladers use. Those are built tough to stand up to way more abuse than just hockey pucks.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
Try using aggressive skates that stunt roller bladers use. Those are built tough to stand up to way more abuse than just hockey pucks.

this is what i use and they work great! i tried playing in boots too but it felt so weird.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 02:39 PM
MikeD

you can pick up a cheap set of steel toe boots for about 40 bucks. Cut them open and remove the toe cap. Get a pair of sneakers one size large. Glue the toe cap into the sneaker and your set. you always have the toe caps for the next set of sneakers. You might want to consider buying just the goal chassi and mounting it on a player boot if thats a lower cost option for you. However, in sneakers your flirting with broken bones in the foot with out wearing a rigid boot.

Most leagues will not allow aggressive skate in their games. I believe USA hockey has a specific rule against them but how your league enforces is a whole other story

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 02:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Who says you have to spend $350 on goalie skates? I wouldn't even pay that much for skates and I'm a forward....

Check out these:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=62GL

At some point you may want to learn to play on skates because a future league you might join with a team will not allow the goalie to play on foot....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
fullmetal2405

i dropped $100 for regular player inline skates and never had a problem. played roller for 6 years using player skates and i was perfectly fine.

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 10:01 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

At some point you may want to learn to play on skates because a future league you might join with a team will not allow the goalie to play on foot....
If its USA ROLLER you can always pull out the old rule book and show them that Skates are OPTIONAL items for the goal keeper.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:06 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Who says you have to spend $350 on goalie skates? I wouldn't even pay that much for skates and I'm a forward....

Check out these:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=62GL

Wow, thanks

I do want to learn to play on skates, but didn't want to drop $350 (only price I could find for skates before you posted that link) when I only play once or twice a week for fun. That price is much better though. Luckily, I'm a very good skater, so the transition should be smooth.

For the record, I ended up getting getting these. They're not perfect, but they at least prevent me from limping around for a week when I get nailed with a slapshot.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:46 AM
EatSleepJeep

Baseball pitchers utilize a device called a pitcher's toe. It's hard plastic cap that covers the front of the shoe that protects their it from coming apart since they're constantly toeing the rubber. Pitchers only need one, but they make them in left and right versions - get one of each.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Wow.. my biggest problem was being able to slide.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote