HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lang anyone?

Old
06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Lang anyone?

Quote:
If July unfolds the way the past two have, the Rangers will be priced out of the market for big name centers and will have to dip into lower tiers -- one of the possible replacements for Nylander as Jagr's center is Robert Lang, who was told by Detroit that he will not be offered a contract there
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

This guy could replace Nylander and Jagr wouldn't mind it. The only problem he is 36. Other than that he is a gem as almost everyone from 1998 Nagano Czech team.

Last edited by 94now: 06-22-2007 at 09:16 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
lotus

man, Nylander is such a drama queen now. Something about Lang makes me nervous though...

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

This guy could replace Nylander and Jagr wouldn't mind it. The only problem he is 36. Other then that he is a gem as almost everyone from 1998 Nagano Czech team.
If it were up to me, I wouldn't sign him. I think the team needs to start bringing in some younger players who will help the transition as Jagr's career draws to a close. Yeah, it'll cost, but at some point we're going to have to pony up the cash because our stable lacks impact players.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Dilettante

I'd pass, looks like Detroit fans can't wait to get rid of him. Also, like already mentioned, he's 36 and by some accounts has slowed down a lot since being injured in '04. Barring a huge surprise in training camp, I also don't think any of our prospects are ready to take the 2nd center spot. Maybe give him a 1-year deal as a last resort.

Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:26 AM
rattymcrat99

Send a message via AIM to rattymcrat99 Send a message via Yahoo to rattymcrat99
i feel like lang would be a good addition, i dont want him to replace nylander though.
and i would much rather have one of the other ufa's over lang. lang might be a good back up plan though.

the way i see it, jagr has 2 or 3 seasons left where he can put up these kind of numbers, if we cant get one of those top level ufa's to help win the cup this year, promote some younger players up, anticipate not having that successful of a season and wait til the young guys can get the job done and compliment jagr in a year two or three from now. if they can hold on to nylander as well and straka and shanahan, it wont take too long for the young guys to learn. and if the next season happens to go well, make some deadline deals and get the cup this year.

although i really think that is a riskier way to do it. i would rather see another piece or two come in in the offseason to really give us that push we need to become a cup favorite.

rattymcrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:30 AM
lotus

I am still having a hard time believing that Nylander is going to move his wife and what, 5 kids? At that age, with that many kids, you would think he has settled down and isn't shooting for that extra million anymore....until those kids all hit college age atleast.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattymcrat99 View Post
i feel like lang would be a good addition, i dont want him to replace nylander though.
and i would much rather have one of the other ufa's over lang. lang might be a good back up plan though.

the way i see it, jagr has 2 or 3 seasons left where he can put up these kind of numbers, if we cant get one of those top level ufa's to help win the cup this year, promote some younger players up, anticipate not having that successful of a season and wait til the young guys can get the job done and compliment jagr in a year two or three from now. if they can hold on to nylander as well and straka and shanahan, it wont take too long for the young guys to learn. and if the next season happens to go well, make some deadline deals and get the cup this year.

although i really think that is a riskier way to do it. i would rather see another piece or two come in in the offseason to really give us that push we need to become a cup favorite.
We're not going to win the Cup with a load of 36-37 year olds who are hot for 5 games, cold for the next 10.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I am still having a hard time believing that Nylander is going to move his wife and what, 5 kids? At that age, with that many kids, you would think he has settled down and isn't shooting for that extra million anymore....until those kids all hit college age atleast.
College age? He'll be long gone back to Sweden by then. No one pays as much for college there as here. Extra million dollars is still a whole million, FYI.
I'd agree with those who think it make sense to sign Lang even if Nyls stays.
He could be as good low cost investment as Shanahan to bridge into Dubi time.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:42 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
We're not going to win the Cup with a load of 36-37 year olds who are hot for 5 games, cold for the next 10.
True. I, however, do not see us winning the cup with Gomez or Drury either.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
NYR469

i'm not crazy about going after someone his agent, but as a short term solution he isn't a bad option. if you feel confident that dubinsky is the future #2 center. instead of giving drury/gomez $7 mil/year for 6 years and being stuck paying a 39 year old nylander $5 mil/year and basically buring dubinsky to the point that he'd have to be dealt. you could easily just sign lang to a 1 year deal and then next year give the job to dubinsky.

short term (ie next season) lang is not even close to the best option. but longer term its not a bad option if other things don't work out.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
True. I, however, do not see us winning the cup with Gomez or Drury either.
I agree. But I think it's a good enough place to start.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:54 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Recently I have really started to dislike Lang. All the rumors about him becoming a problem behind the scenes in detroit just doesn't appeal to me much. Pass.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Lang is on the down ward slope. He is no longer the great player that he was about 3-5 years ago.

I'd pass.

We need somebody who is about to hit the prime, or is already in it.
Coming back to Drury who can and will be a no 1 center whenever Nylander walks or
loses a step.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:45 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
id rather trade for Marleau. I hope Sather makes a big trade this draft. He has not made a big deal in a while.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:46 AM
dank

definitely on the way out so no.. and, hasn't he recently been playing the wing?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:50 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
id rather trade for Marleau. I hope Sather makes a big trade this draft. He has not made a big deal in a while.
obviously all things being equal everyone would rather get marleau but you gotta also consider the price to trade for him into the equation. what if sj wants staal, prucha, korpedo and a 1st? they aren't gonna just give us marleau for nothing.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:20 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
obviously all things being equal everyone would rather get marleau but you gotta also consider the price to trade for him into the equation. what if sj wants staal, prucha, korpedo and a 1st? they aren't gonna just give us marleau for nothing.
Marleau could be had for less if Sharks sign Drury. It is a better option, but Lang fits better into Czech squad of of former Penguins. Plus, he can share his dislike of Babcock with Shanny.

Old
06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
lotus

Quote:
College age? He'll be long gone back to Sweden by then. No one pays as much for college there as here. Extra million dollars is still a whole million, FYI.
was kind of a joke but alright

But if say we offer him 3.5 and a club out west offers him 4.5, I still say he stays with us. That's just my opinion though.