HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2007, 09:40 PM
  #26
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,267
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77 View Post
Smyth would have to take a monumental pay cut to come here. Like say 3 mil a year. Which he won't do at all. I'd love to see him in Detroit but it's not gonna happen.

I think the Wings will go after 1 or 2 UFA's but they won't be the big boys (ie. Gomez, drury). Guys like...Sykora, vasicek, Walker, Kozlov etc. are more affordable and may be possible.
id perfer the wings not go out and get someone like either o the 4. Walker is hardto read, either carolina killed him or hes on the decline and carolina brought it out in him but he was far from anything he used to be in nashville

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:28 PM
  #27
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,081
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
id perfer the wings not go out and get someone like either o the 4. Walker is hardto read, either carolina killed him or hes on the decline and carolina brought it out in him but he was far from anything he used to be in nashville

Walker did score 21 goals last year, so it wasn't that bad of a year for the guy. With that said, I wouldn't be big on bringing him (or Vasicek) in. Just too many question marks and if they don't live up to the highest of expectations, we don't have much room for them in the bottom six.

Kozlov and Sykora, though, are pretty solid locks to be effective top6 forwards and find the back of the net 20+ times throughout a season with chances at 30+ goals if everything fits together.

Curious: Has anyone heard any talk about Guerin or Tkachuk? There's been a ton of talk about Briere, Drury, Gomez, Smyth and even Hartnell but these two guys have seemed to get buried. I have to wonder if we will see a repeat of '02 when Lucky Luc and Brett were left on the vine for so long and Holland grabbed them on the (relative) cheap. Maybe we'll just get lucky and Tkachuk will fall into our laps for a damn cheap price (Not a big fan of Guerin)(the jerk).

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:31 PM
  #28
kira
Registered User
 
kira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: www.datsyuk13.com
Country: Ireland
Posts: 15,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for this one to happen. I'd be turning a lovely shade of blue.

kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:22 PM
  #29
Coffey77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Walker did score 21 goals last year, so it wasn't that bad of a year for the guy. With that said, I wouldn't be big on bringing him (or Vasicek) in. Just too many question marks and if they don't live up to the highest of expectations, we don't have much room for them in the bottom six.

Kozlov and Sykora, though, are pretty solid locks to be effective top6 forwards and find the back of the net 20+ times throughout a season with chances at 30+ goals if everything fits together.

Curious: Has anyone heard any talk about Guerin or Tkachuk? There's been a ton of talk about Briere, Drury, Gomez, Smyth and even Hartnell but these two guys have seemed to get buried. I have to wonder if we will see a repeat of '02 when Lucky Luc and Brett were left on the vine for so long and Holland grabbed them on the (relative) cheap. Maybe we'll just get lucky and Tkachuk will fall into our laps for a damn cheap price (Not a big fan of Guerin)(the jerk).

Haven't really heard a peep about Guerin and Tkachuk. Possible they could go back to St.Louis. Those are 2 guys I wouldn't mind on Detroit but the price could be too high, especially Tkachuk.

Coffey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:37 PM
  #30
Kenadyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Asheboro, NC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstrom View Post
Ryan Smyth is off his rocker. He thinks he's worth more than 5m/yr and he really isn't. I sure as hell hope we don't sign him for more than 5m a year.
It's a matter of supply and demand. It is a sellers market for forwards in UFA this summer. Smyth will get between $6-7 million because all common sense will fly out the window when it comes to signing UFAs, just like it has every season including last summer (even after the lockout and the agreement among the league to practice "fiscal responsibility" -- LOL).

I'm not saying he's worth that much, but someone will give him that much, so you really can't say that "Smyth is off his rocker". Perhaps you should direct that comment to the GM's that will be making the offers.

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:19 PM
  #31
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan View Post
It's a matter of supply and demand. It is a sellers market for forwards in UFA this summer. Smyth will get between $6-7 million because all common sense will fly out the window when it comes to signing UFAs, just like it has every season including last summer (even after the lockout and the agreement among the league to practice "fiscal responsibility" -- LOL).

I'm not saying he's worth that much, but someone will give him that much, so you really can't say that "Smyth is off his rocker". Perhaps you should direct that comment to the GM's that will be making the offers.
Exactly. Andrei Markov is not a $5.75 mil a year defenseman, but he'll be paid like one for the next 4 years. Etc. Etc. Etc.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
  #32
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
Update on Smyth.

EJ Hradek:

Quote:
After 10-plus seasons as a local hero in Edmonton, the popular winger was sent to the Islanders at the trade deadline. The Isles were thrilled to get the crease-crashing vet, who scored 36 goals in each of the past two seasons. But Smyth, 31, wanted $5.5 million in his failed talks with Edmonton, and there will be as many as 10 teams, Detroit chief among them, willing to pay a lot more to land this no-nonsense, fiery leader.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:58 AM
  #33
Karamazov
Registered User
 
Karamazov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
why ? you already have Holmstrom who does the exact same job at a fraction of the cost
Living in Edmonton I've gotten so see alot of this guy, and I think it would be a terrible move if we signed him for anything in the neighborhood of what he's looking for. Holmstrom DOES to what SMyth does, only more physically and a little less finesse. We don't need another guy doing a job Homer does but at double the cost. Our money would be better spent on someone liek Souray...

Karamazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 04:25 AM
  #34
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!
 
TOPGUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
Living in Edmonton I've gotten so see alot of this guy, and I think it would be a terrible move if we signed him for anything in the neighborhood of what he's looking for. Holmstrom DOES to what SMyth does, only more physically and a little less finesse. We don't need another guy doing a job Homer does but at double the cost. Our money would be better spent on someone liek Souray...
OK, I agree with you until you wrote that!

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 06:30 AM
  #35
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist
 
caseygraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31 View Post
OK, I agree with you until you wrote that!
Same here. Signing Bertuzzi for real cheap is a lot better option than Smyth.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
  #36
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Shoalzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
I don't know if there would be any way of signing Smyth and keep Bertuzzi...although I would love to have them both. I think if you sign them both, you probably have to sacrifice going after a free agent defenseman or perhaps letting Schneider or Markov walk. If you could have more faith in the health of Kronwall...maybe that would be a more reasonable proposition. Smyth might cost the Wings too much maybe getting both isn't possible under a salary cap system.

This team needs to sign at least one top 6 winger...whether it is Bert, Smyth or someone else. I think that's a must. To have Bert for a full season or to have a player like Smyth in the mix would help that inconsistent power play. This team needs to back to having two lethal units, not just the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom unit.

To me, it would make the most sense to load up on the wing this offseason than go out and sign another center to replace Lang. I think you can plug in Hudler or Filppula for that role. This team lacks consistent scoring depth on the wing once you get past Holmstrom. If you can re-sign Schneider and Bertuzzi and sign Smyth...you can go out at the deadline and hope to find a defenseman at the deadline if Kronwall can't stay healthy or if Lilja, Quincey and/or Lebda aren't cutting it.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
  #37
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I don't know if there would be any way of signing Smyth and keep Bertuzzi...although I would love to have them both. I think if you sign them both, you probably have to sacrifice going after a free agent defenseman or perhaps letting Schneider or Markov walk. If you could have more faith in the health of Kronwall...maybe that would be a more reasonable proposition. Smyth might cost the Wings too much maybe getting both isn't possible under a salary cap system.

This team needs to sign at least one top 6 winger...whether it is Bert, Smyth or someone else. I think that's a must. To have Bert for a full season or to have a player like Smyth in the mix would help that inconsistent power play. This team needs to back to having two lethal units, not just the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom unit.

To me, it would make the most sense to load up on the wing this offseason than go out and sign another center to replace Lang. I think you can plug in Hudler or Filppula for that role. This team lacks consistent scoring depth on the wing once you get past Holmstrom. If you can re-sign Schneider and Bertuzzi and sign Smyth...you can go out at the deadline and hope to find a defenseman at the deadline if Kronwall can't stay healthy or if Lilja, Quincey and/or Lebda aren't cutting it.
So far, we have $33,043,500 commited towards our roster with forwards:
Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Draper, Maltby, Homer, Sammy, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Kopeky and Grigorenko signed.
On Defense we have: Lidstrom, Lilja, Kronwall, Lebda and Quincy locked up.
Goalies: Osgood

UFA's: Hasek, Bertuzzi, Schneider, Markov, Chelios
RFA's: Hudler

We'll resign Hudler ($700) and lets pretend that we resign Hasek($2M) and Bert ($3M)

That equals approximately: $38,743,500

Now lets pretend that Schneider gives us a hometown discount at $5M
Total = 43,743,500

Figure in that Holland has to leave some money for last years bonuses and some leway for trade-deadline deals and that's where we'll stick.
If the cap goes to a guesstimated $49M we might have room for one UFA at around $2M. That could be Kozlov. But even he should be able to fetch $3-4M on the open market the way things have gone lately.

For $2M we might be looking at this list of players:

Petr Sykora, Pascal Dupuis, Adam Mair, Eric Lindros, Bill Guerin, Jeff O'Neill.

(I didn't mention dmen only because I think Quincy's ready and Meech is ineligable for waivers so the Wings will stick with what they have on the farm. Also, I didn't mention every UFA forward out there but I figured that if the wings were to sign a forward it would be a top 6-8 guy. We have enough players that can compliment our 3rd and 4th lines for a lot cheaper).

Paul Kariya might be another interesting guy. He's signed for cheap before looking for a Cup and there's rumours that he won't resign with Nashville because of talent dumping that's been going on there. There's a very outside chance that he would sign with Detroit for $2-3M. But even if he did, while I love his skill set, I think the Wings need more crease presense type of guys. Players that can convert on 4 foot rebounds and crash the net with decent hands. Smyth fits this profile perfectly but I don't see us signing him if we get Schneider back - which is a very good possiblity based on Hollands history of keeping players over combing free agents.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:46 AM
  #38
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I thought of Kariya as well. I don't really like him, but I have to admit he's a good scorer. I wondered if the Babcock connection might lead the Wings to look at him as an UFA signing? I'm pretty sure Babs thought highly of him, as he was the captain of the Ducks during that time.

Now.... if Cheli can accept Bert on the team, do you think asking him to accept Kariya is too much?

  Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:48 AM
  #39
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post

Now lets pretend that Schneider gives us a hometown discount at $5M

Some hometown discount. Pass.

  Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:39 PM
  #40
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Some hometown discount. Pass.
I agree. But with A.Markov and Timonen getting what they did (which was rediculous), I think Schneiders' going to ask for a minimum of $4.5M.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 03:46 PM
  #41
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
I agree. But with A.Markov and Timonen getting what they did (which was rediculous), I think Schneiders' going to ask for a minimum of $4.5M.
and if that's the case, like Fugu said. Pass. Schneider's own end defensive screw ups aren't worth wasting that kind of money. He can take a huge payday to end his career somewhere else, or stick around here for $4 mil or less. That's the way I see it, and if i recall from past threads, i believe many others here would grit our teeth and bear it if he was signed for $4 mil.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.