HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holland: Lang won't be back.

Old
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Coffee and 7's*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
So? The last time Fedorov won the Selke was eleven years ago. That player is long gone.
I didn't say that Fedorov is the same player he was back then. I'm saying Fedorovs best quality is his defensive play, while there are no words to explain how terrible Lang is in the defense.

So it kind of cancels out the stat-comparison. Anyone who says Fedorov of today is not an upgrade from Lang is out of his mind.

Coffee and 7's* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

That would be Effing Awesome for Detroit.

While Fedorov's bloated contract has made him unattractive for the last couple of seasons, I think he's actually rounded into as solid a support player that any NHL team could ask for in his late years. He's not the flashy player he once was that could be depended on to do the bulk of your scoring, but he still has most of his skating skill, he's still a great passer, he has the 100 MPH slapper, he's defensively responsible, and from what Columbus reports, he's turned into a real leader.

The only question for me is, does Detroit take on his contract soon and make a big trade with Columbus or do they wait until the trade deadline, hoping that Columbus isn't in the playoff race, and pick him up then. And if they do want to wait, would Detroit get a better deal because Columbus would want to get something for him before he's a UFA or is he more costly because of the demand for him?

Again, picking up Feds for a Cup run would be a smart decision, IMO.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
The Winged Wheel

Send a message via AIM to The Winged Wheel
might as well weigh in here. If Feds would sign cheap, some where around the $1M range then there is no reason in the world why Detroit should not pick him up. That would still leave an extra $2M to use elsewhere.

Yes, he's a shell of his former self but it would be lunacy if he didn't at least score 20 goals here next season. Hell, we could almost have an entire Russian line again if we stuck Feds with Datsyuk and Grigorenko with Markov [he's Russian right?] on defense! albeit that wouldn't come close to matching the old Russian 5, but hey, it would be cool.

and you sure as hell wouldn't see Fedorov sitting around for a minute on the ice while opponents steal the puck away from him and score.

The Winged Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
That would be Effing Awesome for Detroit.

While Fedorov's bloated contract has made him unattractive for the last couple of seasons, I think he's actually rounded into as solid a support player that any NHL team could ask for in his late years. He's not the flashy player he once was that could be depended on to do the bulk of your scoring, but he still has most of his skating skill, he's still a great passer, he has the 100 MPH slapper, he's defensively responsible, and from what Columbus reports, he's turned into a real leader.

The only question for me is, does Detroit take on his contract soon and make a big trade with Columbus or do they wait until the trade deadline, hoping that Columbus isn't in the playoff race, and pick him up then. And if they do want to wait, would Detroit get a better deal because Columbus would want to get something for him before he's a UFA or is he more costly because of the demand for him?

Again, picking up Feds for a Cup run would be a smart decision, IMO.

Why we're discussing Fedorov in the Lang thread is interesting...

However, the idea was that Columbus would buy out Sergei's contract. No way Detroit pays him $6 MM, or even at the deadline, giving up assets of some type to pay $2 MM or so for a couple of months of play. The premise is that they sign him AFTER he gets bought out.

Old
06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
No way Detroit pays him $6 MM, or even at the deadline, giving up assets of some type to pay $2 MM or so for a couple of months of play.
Ahem. See Todd Bertuzzi.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Good Flying Bird View Post
Ahem. See Todd Bertuzzi.
Come on, Tin. You know you are taking this out of context.

How old is Fedorov?

How old is Bertuzzi?

What were the Wings trying to bring in when they got Todd?

Are Todd and Feds similar types of players?

Was the latter a risk? And might it still work out if he recovers from his injuries?

And the nit picker point? It was $5.2 MM, prorated of course.

Old
06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

What if Columbus buys out Foote's contract instead? Would you rather have him on the team?

As much as I hated him on the Avs so many years ago, he a good, hard-nosed defenseman who is great to have on your team, but a PITA to play against...

... granted, I haven't kept up with his play in the past couple of seasons...

... and this could be another thread entirely...

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
What if Columbus buys out Foote's contract instead? Would you rather have him on the team?

As much as I hated him on the Avs so many years ago, he a good, hard-nosed defenseman who is great to have on your team, but a PITA to play against...

Nope. I'd rather have Fedorov than Foote. Even if both would come over as a defenseman.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 08:31 PM
cmccallum

not to mention what fedorov would bring back to the wings power play

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
HankTheTank

thank ****

bye bye lang

still sucks that he was on fire in '04 and got hurt, but man, he sucked serious dong last year

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:07 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
bye lang... dont let the door hit you on the way out, wouldnt want you to move too fast now.. oh wait i think you took good care of that this year

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i laugh at how many ppl want feds back, the guy has lost a step... its sad, but its true... hes not the 2002 fedorov or the 1997 fedorov... hes the aging older sergei.. ill say no thanks and continue to get younger and quicker

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
i laugh at how many ppl want feds back, the guy has lost a step... its sad, but its true... hes not the 2002 fedorov or the 1997 fedorov... hes the aging older sergei.. ill say no thanks and continue to get younger and quicker
Lost step or not, if brought over he could easily replace Lang, Draper, and/or Schneider. Even old and out of his prime he has the tools to be a very valuable and versatile player.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Birko19

Fedorov would be a very good option for the Wings at a cheap price, this guy can probably still play not to mention that he can replace Schneider on the PP if Matt is not brought back.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:08 PM
TRIARII*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Lost step or not, if brought over he could easily replace Lang, Draper, and/or Schneider. Even old and out of his prime he has the tools to be a very valuable and versatile player.

this point brought up about replacing schneider is very attractive to me , we'd save alot of cap and get a better player .

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spore View Post
Fedorov would be a poor man's Schneider now (though real Schneider might ask for too much so I would entertain the thought if he was cheap).

How do you figure that? The two players are the same age, and one of the two can play virtually any position on the ice except goal. I don't think anyone has accused Matt of having a better slapshot than Feds, which is why the suggestion was made that Feds could man the point on the PP just as effectively as Matty. Offensively, he's the better playmaker, sees the ice much better, and has better instincts. That's why he has the hardware case he has. I believe Feds is still the better/faster skater. Now if you mean Matthieu is a better defenceman than Fedorov... well, I hope so seeing that some believe he should get $5 MM/yr to be a defenseman. If the main reason the Wings would want Matt back is because their PP depended on it.... then that $5 MM would be an overpayment.

Old
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
TRIARII*

Quote:
How do you figure that? The two players are the same age, and one of the two can play virtually any position on the ice except goal. I don't think anyone has accused Matt of having a better slapshot than Feds, which is why the suggestion was made that Feds could man the point on the PP just as effectively as Matty. Offensively, he's the better playmaker, sees the ice much better, and has better instincts. That's why he has the hardware case he has. I believe Feds is still the better/faster skater. Now if you mean Matthieu is a better defenceman than Fedorov... well, I hope so seeing that some believe he should get $5 MM/yr to be a defenseman. If the main reason the Wings would want Matt back is because their PP depended on it.... then that $5 MM would be an overpayment.
im in complete agreement with your post here fugu .
feds taking all the shots schneider takes from point = OMFG , with his quicker mind and more accurate shot he'd rack up 20 goals easily . plus his better ice vision / passing powers would = like 50 assists . like you said he's prob weaker on D in own zone so would need a very good stay at home guy with him = MARKOV my favorite because of hustle and ruggedness . SIGN MARKOV KENNY , HE'S A BIG REASON FOR THE LOW GA !!!!

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:29 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

I don't see Feds coming back, IMHO. The only way I'd take him back is if he was, as we've suggested, a 2nd or 3rd liner. I don't see him taking that. His ego won't let him.

I know, I'm repeating stuff everyone else has already said. No sense in --> :.

Thank you for your kind indulgence...

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
BigEnglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post

I know.......what if Pittsburgh were to buy out Sydney Crosby's contract and we could sign hm for a new stick and a bag of pucks?????

C'mon people, Colombus are not going to buy out anyones contract so they can loose a player to a division rival.

BigEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnglish View Post
I know.......what if Pittsburgh were to buy out Sydney Crosby's contract and we could sign hm for a new stick and a bag of pucks?????

C'mon people, Colombus are not going to buy out anyones contract so they can loose a player to a division rival.

I thought the idea was pretty funny too. If you take the two thirds of Sergei's salary, it really would be money the BJ's would be throwing out the window. I don't think their problem is cap space (which might be one justification for this), but how much money the owner wants to throw into the pot.

Nevertheless... I took part in the discussion as a nice WHAT IF discussion rather than the likelihood of this happening.

IF it did happen, do YOU think the Wings should bring Feds back assuming the $$ were low?

Old
06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnglish View Post

I didn't come up with it, just read it as a rumour on a site... said that Columbus could buy out either Fedorov's or Foote's contracts, and since nobody had brought up Foote yet I thought I would.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:41 PM
BigEnglish

Quote:
I thought the idea was pretty funny too. If you take the two thirds of Sergei's salary, it really would be money the BJ's would be throwing out the window. I don't think their problem is cap space (which might be one justification for this), but how much money the owner wants to throw into the pot.

Nevertheless... I took part in the discussion as a nice WHAT IF discussion rather than the likelihood of this happening.

IF it did happen, do YOU think the Wings should bring Feds back assuming the $$ were low?
I believe in doing what is best for the club and "IF" Federov where available and "IF" you could get him for the right money ( $3M - $3.5M) I would definately bring him back.
I think he would relish another opportunity here in Detroit and as I said before, the fans would welcome him back with open arms.
He would add another skilled, proven goal scorer to the line up as well as being able to help out on defense during the PP. Could be the end for Schneider though!!!

Hey Red, just pulling your strings buddy.

Just my thoughts........

BigEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
It's the money, HD. I think the assumption was that a bought out Feds would sign for some paltry amount just to finish up his career here. In that case you have to compare what Lang would get in a new contract (let's say he stays in the $3-3.5 MM range) and a Feds under $1 MM.
Ah... so the entire supposition was based on a completely bogus, irrational and wholly impossible set of circumstances then? Grooooooooovy.

First, Fedorov is not going to sign somewhere for under a mil. That's nuts. If he's going in to some team who knows he's going to be the #2 center, and Fedorov knows he's going to be the #2 center... he's not going to sign for what Maltby is making.

Second, if Fedorov isn't coming in to replace the #2 center (which is the only way he'd come back for a mil, if he's doing so in some lesser, Cheliosian role), we need to shift the comparison to the guy he would be replacing, not Lang.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Good Flying Bird View Post
Ahem. See Todd Bertuzzi.
Detroit would only be signing Fedorov for a month and a half?

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:57 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Detroit would only be signing Fedorov for a month and a half?
Quote:
No way Detroit pays him $6 MM, or even at the deadline, giving up assets of some type to pay $2 MM or so for a couple of months of play.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote