HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the NHL getting soft?

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Mats_Hallin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Oh give me a break. They did what they could without being stupid. What exactly did you want them to do? This isn't 1970 anymore. Did you want bertuzzi to cross-check moore in the face and get suspended for half a dozen games? Giving up a division title in order to get shallow revenge is counter-productive. The avs get the last laugh if the canucks go out and take stupid penalty after stupid penalty in a crucial game. Heck, if I'm playing for the avs and the canucks do that, I sure as hell take every opportunity to take out a star player on their team.
WTF is wrong with throwing a good bodycheck and maybe a instigate fight with Moore? (not jump him)
And using the stick is for cowards... or is that the honourable thing do to nowadays?

Old
03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats_Hallin
They didn't do ****. The only one with a bit of emotion in Brad May made one halfhearted attempt but it wasn't anything much.
Do you want Moore to injure another Canuck? I don't but why shouldn't he, it's not like the Canucks are going to do anything anyways.

"Vancouver tough guy Brad May has already received a call from NHL vice-president Colin Campbell for declaring a "bounty" on Moore the night of the hit. He says chances are the rematch will result in a tilt between the team's team's tough guys."
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040302/nhl_colvan-cp.html

What good will a fight between Worrell and Brookbank, and May and Cummins do?
Entertaining yes, for a purpose, no..

No more rivalries. NHL is ruined..

The sad part of all to me was Brad May's response. I expect the guys of today to act like that. A guy like Brad May I'd expect a more extreme response. It just shows what this league has become.

And by the way, I know about the Boulton orbital bone, to me that was more a freak thing than a testiment to some hidden power Worrel has.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:16 PM
incawg

Quote:
WTF is wrong with throwing a good bodycheck
Like Bertuzzi did?

Quote:
and maybe a instigate fight with Moore? (not jump him)
Like May did?

I still fail to see what the Canucks should have done differently.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:17 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Like Bertuzzi did?

Like May did?

May didn't instigate a fight. Bertuzzi didn't check Moore.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
May didn't instigate a fight. Bertuzzi didn't check Moore.
May went right after Moore as soon as it happend. The only reason there wasn't a fight was because the refs/linesmen jumped in. May got a penalty. Would you have liked May to go after Moore again on the next shift and get another peantly? Yeh, that would have sure taught Moore [insert rolleyes here]

Bertuzzi took out Moore on the winning goal.

This revenge garbage is so overrated. Unless you're talking about doing something worthy of suspension in retaliation, nobody is going to think twice about hitting a superstar. That's the way the NHL is today. Do you really think that the threat of having to turtle against Brookbank and getting his team a powerplay is going to stop Moore from taking out Naslund if he gets the chance again?

Last edited by incawg: 03-02-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old
03-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
Like Bertuzzi did?

Like May did?

I am sure Moore got the powerful Canucks message and smiled.
You need to check out some games from the pre Bettman era and you'll see some real retribution be handed out. Not blowing kisses or whatever it was Bert was doing.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:30 PM
incawg

Quote:
I am sure Moore got the powerful Canucks message and smiled.
You need to check out some games from the pre Bettman era and you'll see some real retribution be handed out. Not blowing kisses or whatever it was Bert was doing.
You just don't get it do you? If this was 1970, sure the canucks should have acted differently. But <b>this isn't the pre-Bettman era</b>. Under the circumstances, they did what was appropriate. They took their shots when they could and they beat the avs where it counts the most - on the scoreboard. In today's NHL, the players can no longer police themselves, at least not anything near the level that they could in the old days.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
Would you have liked May to go after Moore again on the next shift and get another peantly? Yeh, that would have sure taught Moore [insert rolleyes here]
Yes.
And maybe Foote or someone would have jumped in and then be gone as the third man in anyways. Penalties in a brawl tends to be pretty even. And speaking of brawls, what did you think of the Trashers-Oilers game?

Old
03-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
You just don't get it do you? If this was 1970, sure the canucks should have acted differently. But <b>this isn't the pre-Bettman era</b>. Under the circumstances, they did what was appropriate. They took their shots when they could and they beat the avs where it counts the most - on the scoreboard. In today's NHL, the players can no longer police themselves, at least not anything near the level that they could in the old days.
Wings-Avs wasn't in the 1970's and they acted differently so there goes your point down the ****ter. But as you said:

Quote:
In today's NHL, the players can no longer police themselves, at least not anything near the level that they could in the old days.
Do you think this a good or a bad thing?

Old
03-02-2004, 04:38 PM
incawg

Quote:
Yes.
And maybe Foote or someone would have jumped in and then be gone as the third man in anyways. Penalties in a brawl tends to be pretty even.
I can guarantee you that if the canucks had gone head-hunting they would have ended up giving the avs a ton of powerplays....totally counter-productive, seeing as how you're trying to punish the other team. The sort of revenge you're asking for is doing nothing but rewarding the avs for going after Naslund. Quite to the contrary of the goal of deterring them from doing it in the future, it will promote it. Blame the NHL for this if you will, but don't try and tell me the canucks should have done something different.

Old
03-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
I can guarantee you that if the canucks had gone head-hunting they would have ended up giving the avs a ton of powerplays....totally counter-productive, seeing as how you're trying to punish the other team. The sort of revenge you're asking for is doing nothing but rewarding the avs for going after Naslund. Quite to the contrary of the goal of deterring them from doing it in the future, it will promote it. Blame the NHL for this if you will, but don't try and tell me the canucks should have done something different.
I've been trying to tell you that for a very long time now. Now answer my question,

"the players can no longer police themselves, at least not anything near the level that they could in the old days"

Is it a good or a bad thing?

Old
03-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

vCash: 50
I hate to point out the obvious here. But the exact same conditions that did not enable Canucks to go after Moore will be present the next time they meet. So if they decided they couldn't do anything back then, they will not do anything next time.

Perhaps if one of the teams lead 5-0 they will feel secure enough to "do what has to be done" but I doubt that. Silly rabbits, talking to the media about headhunting is stupid. Chances are the Canucks will face more time in PK against the Avs for the simple reason the players couldn't keep their mouths shut.

Closed Thread