HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6th Round Selection #168 - Rangers select Carl Hagelin

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2007, 12:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer

PHP Code:
168     NYR     CARL HAGELIN     8/23/1988     SODERTALJE     SE     5' 11"     176     SWE-JR.     SODERTALJE JR.     LW     L 
* Committed to the University of Michigan http://www.michiganhockey.net/recruits/

* Billy Powers: “Carl Hagelin is a player we’ve been fortunate enough to have over to our hockey school and have gotten to know the family. His older brother came to our hockey schools. He came in last summer and skated at a camp in Big Rapids. So it was good to see him in a North American environment over the summer, and he did very well. He’s a scorer. He's an offensive player. A very good skater. He is excited about playing the North American brand of hockey because he likes the physical game. He likes to forecheck. He’s a skill player.”

Old
06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
hlundqvist30*

Carl Hagelin 8/23/1988 Sodertalje Se 5' 11" 176 Swe-jr. Sodertalje Jr. Lw L

Old
06-23-2007, 01:20 PM
SPG

Interesting pick... A Swede who is committed to U. of Michigan for next season. Apparently he was the captain of his team last season.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Carl Hagelin 8/23/1988 Sodertalje Se 5' 11" 176 Swe-jr. Sodertalje Jr. Lw L
any info on him??

Old
06-23-2007, 01:21 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
any info on him??
He's a pretty smallish player an captain for the Sodertalje juniorteam this season. H has alot of speed and has pretty good offensive abillities. Skating and agility is above average, has an fairly good shoot and okay passingskills and vision. Not that good along the boards and has problem when meeting aggressive defensmen.

Don't se him develope in to a great player(no NHL material) but perhaps a pretty good forwards a few divisions down

That's what a guy from Sweden posted.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
One of those late round swedes I wanted. Perfect.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:23 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
He's a pretty smallish player an captain for the Sodertalje juniorteam this season. H has alot of speed and has pretty good offensive abillities. Skating and agility is above average, has an fairly good shoot and okay passingskills and vision. Not that good along the boards and has problem when meeting aggressive defensmen.

Don't se him develope in to a great player(no NHL material) but perhaps a pretty good forwards a few divisions down

Here's some of the writeup at the UM site -

Quote:
He's a scorer. He's an offensive player. A very good skater. He is excited about playing the North American brand of hockey because he likes the physical game. He likes to forecheck. He's a skill player.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:

I doubt Rangers scouts feel he won't be NHL material, or what would the point be in taking him? Obviously they see more potential.

Old
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
One of those late round swedes I wanted. Perfect.
Yea, I'm guessing this was a Christer Rockstrom pick, and we all know how good of a scout he is. Who knows. I'm glad we're drafting offensive-minded players.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
SPG

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=4567&lang=en

"A good skater with fine offensive skills. Smooth and with decent hockey sense and goal scoring ability. Controls the puck fairly well and has good attitude and willigness to forecheck and work for the puck. "

Interesting note:
- J20 SuperElit Most Points (tied with L. Eller) 06/07

Old
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
hlundqvist30*

It looks like the Rangers are going all or nothing this draft. Campbell and Hagelin have not proven anything against real competition, but could definitely be late round steals if they keep the scoring ability. Cherry "has attitude problems" but I'm sure he'll be fine once he comes here. Who knows with Lafluer. The Rangers' scouts obviously liked something about him.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:30 PM
bagh

With his forecheck abilities it sounds like he'd give us another good third line winger.

Lets not knock that. I keep hearing the maxim that a team's draft is good if it can produce at least 2 NHLers.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:30 PM
bmoak

Eurohockey.net page

Old
06-23-2007, 01:40 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Our history under Slats has shown that we get value from late round picks. Its more of a crap shoot in the later rounds so there is really nothing to lose and much to gain. You load up with similar type players and the odds start to go in your favor that one of them will be a gem.

Old
06-23-2007, 02:06 PM
UAGoalieGuy

What did the Rangers get in return from washington for the 4th round pick they traded to them?

Old
06-23-2007, 02:12 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
What did the Rangers get in return from washington for the 4th round pick they traded to them?
Used it last year to draft Zaborsky

Old
06-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Pizza

Two Words: Christer Rockstrom.

Enough said.

Old
06-23-2007, 02:46 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Used it last year to draft Zaborsky
I cant wait to see him signed and in hartford. Im shocked that Sather did not move up to get a 4th round or an extra late pick.

Old
06-23-2007, 03:56 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I cant wait to see him signed and in hartford. Im shocked that Sather did not move up to get a 4th round or an extra late pick.

I don't know I'm a little lukewarm when it comes to making deals for more picks in what is basically a mediocre draft. We did well as it is getting Cherepanov. A fairly decent goalie pick and anything else that works out will just be gravy. Next year maybe would be a good year to stock up on picks--this one not really.

Old
06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't know I'm a little lukewarm when it comes to making deals for more picks in what is basically a mediocre draft. We did well as it is getting Cherepanov. A fairly decent goalie pick and anything else that works out will just be gravy. Next year maybe would be a good year to stock up on picks--this one not really.
We got our 3rd round pick a little early this year...he already played at Hartford...has two years of development on anyone in this draft class...probably better than any player taken in the 3rd round this year...his name is Alex Bourret.

Old
06-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Nemchinov13

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=4567&lang=en
According to stats, seems to be like a good player. Could he turn into the next Zetterberg? Zetterberg has fallen through cracks because he's never been invited to Swedish national junior teams. Same scenario here.

Old
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Two Words: Christer Rockstrom.

Enough said.
I'm not sure I hold Mr Rockstrom in quite so high regard anymore...he also of course was the one suggesting they draft Marcus Jonasen...the last Swedish player drafted by the Rangers. For the most part he hasn't really been finding much in the way of players in the last couple of drafts...it may be because the Rangers scouting organization as a whole has overrode his opinions, but for whatever reason it's been fairly light in terms of Swedish and Finnish prospects.

Old
06-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I'm not sure I hold Mr Rockstrom in quite so high regard anymore...he also of course was the one suggesting they draft Marcus Jonasen...the last Swedish player drafted by the Rangers. For the most part he hasn't really been finding much in the way of players in the last couple of drafts...it may be because the Rangers scouting organization as a whole has overrode his opinions, but for whatever reason it's been fairly light in terms of Swedish and Finnish prospects.
Rockström doesn't have the best contacts in Finland, it seems to me, though he was the driving force behind drafting the Korpedo. His speciality is Swedes but also Russians. From what I understand, he has a lot of understanding of and contacts in Russia. Also, I think the Rangers have been following Jan Gajdosik's advice in Europe recently: hence all the Czechs and Slovaks.

Jonasén didn't work out for the Rangers, but he really looked like a possible NHL'er for a while. He wasn't exactly a horrible pick. If he had developed as hoped, he could have been a decent 3rd-line or even 2nd-line player with size and real leadership skills (he was the captain of his team in the WHL, afterall). He'll actually be playing at MoDo next season, after two years in the Allsvenskan.

Rockström has built his spectacular reputation, at least to us outsiders, on finding late-round Swedes, which even for him doesn't pan out every time. Every few years he pulls a real rabbit out of the hat. While we may hype him up a little too much, we are talking about the guy who dug up Niklas Lidström, Kim Johnsson and Henrik Lundqvist, amongst others.

Last edited by 007: 06-23-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old
06-23-2007, 06:52 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
We got our 3rd round pick a little early this year...he already played at Hartford...has two years of development on anyone in this draft class...probably better than any player taken in the 3rd round this year...his name is Alex Bourret.

Absolutely agree Jas. Bourret finished the season very strongly in Hartford. That's way way way better than having that 3rd rounder. I'm not sure he's a first liner but I think he'll have a productive career. Cherepanov does have 1st liner written all over him. Of course he has to make it but playing in the Russian Super league and doing so well against grown men is very very encouraging for us. Mind boggling that so many teams passed him by. No way he should have gone past the 8 spot and probably should have gone sooner than that.

Old
06-23-2007, 07:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Absolutely agree Jas. Bourret finished the season very strongly in Hartford. That's way way way better than having that 3rd rounder. I'm not sure he's a first liner but I think he'll have a productive career. Cherepanov does have 1st liner written all over him. Of course he has to make it but playing in the Russian Super league and doing so well against grown men is very very encouraging for us. Mind boggling that so many teams passed him by. No way he should have gone past the 8 spot and probably should have gone sooner than that.

It's possible that the top two RWs on this team after Jagr leaves are Cherepanov and Bourret.

Closed Thread