HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bagh's quick draft review

Old
06-23-2007, 04:10 PM
bagh

vCash: 500
Bagh's quick draft review

Hey Guys,

Let me just preface this by outlining why I created this thread. I had a day to digest out pick of cherpanov and while I was happy with the pick because of the potential of the kid, I was a little uncomfortable with how easily people have already started hyping the kid as the next great European player for the Ranger. Some have been saying that it's a forgone conclusion that he'd be an all-star NHLer. I still have visions of Dan Blackburn dancing in my head. By which I mean, a lot of things could happen in a few years. I also have 2 big cliches stuck in my head.

#1: The draft is a crapshoot.
#2: A good draft for an NHL team is one in which it manages to pick 2 NHL regulars.

With that being said I decided to look at some of the Rangers drafts in the 6 last seasons. Now this isn't as in-depth as the guys from HF have done, but I'm just a novice so I hope you'll forgive any mistakes I have made. i just hope that the people who read it might be a little more realistic about the shots of the guys the rangers picked have of actually making it.

2000 Draft

64 NYR FILIP NOVAK D
95 NYR DOMINIC MOORE C
112 NYR PREMSYL DUBEN D
140 NYR NATHAN MARTZ C
143 NYR BRANDON SNEE G
175 NYR SVEN HELFENSTEIN C/RW
205 NYR HENRIK LUNDQVIST G
238 NYR DAN EBERLY D
269 NYR MARTIN RICHTER D

Result was 2 NHL ready players in Moore and Lundquist. 1 Borderline guy in Novak and one AHLer in Richter.

2001 Draft

10 NYR DANIEL BLACKBURN G
40 NYR FEDOR TJUTIN D
79 NYR GARTH MURRAY C/LW
113 NYR BRYCE LAMPMAN D
139 NYR SHAWN COLLYMORE RW
176 NYR MAREK ZIDLICKY D
206 NYR PETR PREUCIL C
226 NYR PONTUS PETTERSTROM F
230 NYR LEONID ZHVACHIN D
238 NYR RYAN HOLLWEG C
269 NYR JURIS STALS C

Result: we all know what happened to balckburn. It's too bad though because he had talent. This draft produced 4 current NHL regulars in Tjutin, Murray. Zidlicky, and Holleweg. Only 2 are with the team though. Only 1 is a possible first line guy.

2002 Draft

Hockey futures did a better recap of it so I wont bother. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9728

2003 Draft

12 NYR HUGH JESSIMAN RW
50 NYR IVAN BARANKA D
75 NYR KEN ROCHE C
122 NYR COREY POTTER D
149 NYR NIGEL DAWES LW
176 NYR IVAN DORNIC C
179 NYR PHILIPPE FURRER D
180 NYR CHRIS HOLT G
209 NYR DYLAN REESE D
243 NYR JAN MAREK F

Result: IMHO, this draft was just ugly. With the exception of Dawes, none of these guys have seen an NHL game apart from being in the stands. All of them need to do some work to reach the NHL. Roche and Potter were still in college last i checked so they might make something out of their careers but again they need work.

2004 Draft

6 NYR AL MONTOYA G
19 NYR LAURI KORPIKOSKI C/W
36 NYR DARIN OLVER C
48 NYR DANE BYERS LW
51 NYR BRUCE GRAHAM C
60 NYR BRANDON DUBINSKY PORTLAND C
73 NYR ZDENEK BAHENSKY RW
80 NYR BILLY RYAN C
127 NYR RYAN CALLAHAN RW
135 NYR ROMAN PSURNY LW
169 NYR JORDAN FOOTE LW
247 NYR JONATHAN PAIEMENT D
266 NYR JAKUB PETRUZALEK RW

Result: This draft is outstanding. A lot of these guys show promise and a lot of the top picks are in Hartford or have seen time there. We already got 1 NHL regular in Callahan and one on the way in Montoya and maybe even Dubinsky. Byers and Korpikoski can be in the conversation soon. A couple of these guys are in college still so they might be able to add themselves into the conversation at a future date.

2005 Draft

12 NYR MARC STAAL D
40 NYR MICHAEL SAUER D
56 NYR MARC-ANDRE CLICHE RW
66 NYR BRODIE DUPONT C
77 NYR DALYN FLATT D
107 NYR TOM PYATT C
147 NYR TREVOR KOVERKO D
178 NYR GREG BELLER W
211 NYR RYAN RUSSELL C

Result: This draft is a little to early to say anything about. It should be pointed out that Staal could be a regular next season.Ithink he'll see more time in the AHL rather than the NHL same for Cliche (too bad it will be with Manchester instead of Hartford though). This statement can be made about a bunch of the players (See: Sauer, Dupont and Pyatt). It's looking decent.

2006 Draft

21 NYR BOBBY SANGUINETTI D
54 NYR ARTEM ANISIMOV C
84 NYR RYAN HILLIER LW
104 NYR DAVID KVETON RW
137 NYR TOMAS ZABORSKY W
174 NYR ERIC HUNTER C
204 NYR LUKAS ZELISKA C

Result: Again too early to tell. I'm just annoyed we took Sanguinetti instead of Giroux though. Sangunetti seems more of a project. Most of these guy need work in certain aspects as well. Seeing as how they were just drafted, it's not surprising. the guys who I think can be really interesting are Eric Hunter and David Kveton.

Historically speaking, the draft hasn't been kind to us. the last few years we managed pick up some useful guys, but lets remember luck hasn't been on our side when it comes to the top of the draft.

Just my 2 cents. do with it what you will.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:14 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Corey Potter is on the Wolfpack roster and played very well for them.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

With Staal, Sauer, Dupont and Pyatt, plus using Cliche to get Avery, 2005 will be the best draft.

We weren't taking Giroux last year. The Rangers were set to take Patrick Berglund, until Sanguinetti fell in their lap. Plus, Anisimov was a steal in round 2 at #54.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Barnaby

I like to think the 02 and 03 drafts are behind us. It seems that the NYR organization has been able to put better people in decision making positions. The Jessiman pick is the one that still comes back to hurt us. I wasn't thrilled about Bobby Sang, but I don't know enough about that draft to really make an accurate critique at this point.

This draft should see Cherepanov become a top-6 forward, and very possibly a much needed top liner. If he pans out, then I think we can afford to not pull much else out this time around considering our lack of picks and the strength of the draft.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:20 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
Hey Guys,

Let me just preface this by outlining why I created this thread. I had a day to digest out pick of cherpanov and while I was happy with the pick because of the potential of the kid, I was a little uncomfortable with how easily people have already started hyping the kid as the next great European player for the Ranger. Some have been saying that it's a forgone conclusion that he'd be an all-star NHLer. I still have visions of Dan Blackburn dancing in my head. By which I mean, a lot of things could happen in a few years. I also have 2 big cliches stuck in my head.

#1: The draft is a crapshoot.
#2: A good draft for an NHL team is one in which it manages to pick 2 NHL regulars.

With that being said I decided to look at some of the Rangers drafts in the 6 last seasons. Now this isn't as in-depth as the guys from HF have done, but I'm just a novice so I hope you'll forgive any mistakes I have made. i just hope that the people who read it might be a little more realistic about the shots of the guys the rangers picked have of actually making it.

2000 Draft

64 NYR FILIP NOVAK D
95 NYR DOMINIC MOORE C
112 NYR PREMSYL DUBEN D
140 NYR NATHAN MARTZ C
143 NYR BRANDON SNEE G
175 NYR SVEN HELFENSTEIN C/RW
205 NYR HENRIK LUNDQVIST G
238 NYR DAN EBERLY D
269 NYR MARTIN RICHTER D

Result was 2 NHL ready players in Moore and Lundquist. 1 Borderline guy in Novak and one AHLer in Richter.

2001 Draft

10 NYR DANIEL BLACKBURN G
40 NYR FEDOR TJUTIN D
79 NYR GARTH MURRAY C/LW
113 NYR BRYCE LAMPMAN D
139 NYR SHAWN COLLYMORE RW
176 NYR MAREK ZIDLICKY D
206 NYR PETR PREUCIL C
226 NYR PONTUS PETTERSTROM F
230 NYR LEONID ZHVACHIN D
238 NYR RYAN HOLLWEG C
269 NYR JURIS STALS C

Result: we all know what happened to balckburn. It's too bad though because he had talent. This draft produced 4 current NHL regulars in Tjutin, Murray. Zidlicky, and Holleweg. Only 2 are with the team though. Only 1 is a possible first line guy.

2002 Draft

Hockey futures did a better recap of it so I wont bother. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9728

2003 Draft

12 NYR HUGH JESSIMAN RW
50 NYR IVAN BARANKA D
75 NYR KEN ROCHE C
122 NYR COREY POTTER D
149 NYR NIGEL DAWES LW
176 NYR IVAN DORNIC C
180 NYR CHRIS HOLT G
209 NYR DYLAN REESE D
243 NYR JAN MAREK F

Result: IMHO, this draft was just ugly. With the exception of Dawes, none of these guys have seen an NHL game apart from being in the stands. All of them need to do some work to reach the NHL. Roche and Potter were still in college last i checked so they might make something out of their careers but again they need work.

2004 Draft

6 NYR AL MONTOYA G
19 NYR LAURI KORPIKOSKI C/W
36 NYR DARIN OLVER C
48 NYR DANE BYERS LW
51 NYR BRUCE GRAHAM C
60 NYR BRANDON DUBINSKY PORTLAND C
73 NYR ZDENEK BAHENSKY RW
80 NYR BILLY RYAN C
127 NYR RYAN CALLAHAN RW
135 NYR ROMAN PSURNY LW
169 NYR JORDAN FOOTE LW
247 NYR JONATHAN PAIEMENT D
266 NYR JAKUB PETRUZALEK RW

Result: This draft is outstanding. A lot of these guys show promise and a lot of the top picks are in Hartford or have seen time there. We already got 1 NHL regular in Callahan and one on the way in Montoya and maybe even Dubinsky. Byers and Korpikoski can be in the conversation soon. A couple of these guys are in college still so they might be able to add themselves into the conversation at a future date.

2005 Draft

12 NYR MARC STAAL D
40 NYR MICHAEL SAUER D
56 NYR MARC-ANDRE CLICHE RW
66 NYR BRODIE DUPONT C
77 NYR DALYN FLATT D
107 NYR TOM PYATT C
147 NYR TREVOR KOVERKO D
178 NYR GREG BELLER W
211 NYR RYAN RUSSELL C

Result: This draft is a little to early to say anything about. It should be pointed out that Staal could be a regular next season.Ithink he'll see more time in the AHL rather than the NHL same for Cliche (too bad it will be with Manchester instead of Hartford though). This statement can be made about a bunch of the players (See: Sauer, Dupont and Pyatt). It's looking decent.

2006 Draft

21 NYR BOBBY SANGUINETTI D
54 NYR ARTEM ANISIMOV C
84 NYR RYAN HILLIER LW
104 NYR DAVID KVETON RW
137 NYR TOMAS ZABORSKY W
174 NYR ERIC HUNTER C
204 NYR LUKAS ZELISKA C

Result: Again too early to tell. I'm just annoyed we took Sanguinetti instead of Giroux though. Sangunetti seems more of a project. Most of these guy need work in certain aspects as well. Seeing as how they were just drafted, it's not surprising. the guys who I think can be really interesting are Eric Hunter and David Kveton.

Historically speaking, the draft hasn't been kind to us. the last few years we managed pick up some useful guys, but lets remember luck hasn't been on our side when it comes to the top of the draft.

Just my 2 cents. do with it what you will.
Too bad it was not printed in paper as it is good enough to use in the toilet. You show incomplete knowledge of the Rangers players who ARENT in college anymore as well as you completely underrate some of the players from the 2003 draft.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Onion Boy

So this "draft review" was basically to tell us that picks don't always pan out.

Okay, point taken.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Bretzky*

Where's Prucha?

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post

2003 Draft

12 NYR HUGH JESSIMAN RW
50 NYR IVAN BARANKA D
75 NYR KEN ROCHE C
122 NYR COREY POTTER D
149 NYR NIGEL DAWES LW
176 NYR IVAN DORNIC C
180 NYR CHRIS HOLT G
209 NYR DYLAN REESE D
243 NYR JAN MAREK F

Jan Marek could quite possibly be the best player out of the NHL, outside maybe Morozov.
The problem with those guys and Zinovjev etc., is money. They get tax-free star money over there, which is MUCH more than what most teams would be prepared to pay for them over here (and that's including taxes).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 05:05 PM
bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
Corey Potter is on the Wolfpack roster and played very well for them.
thanks for the clarification. All I had on him were his Michigan state numbers. Even the Wolfpack site gave me his Michigan state numbers so I just assumed he was added onto the roster this upcoming season.

Old
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Jan Marek could quite possibly be the best player out of the NHL, outside maybe Morozov.
The problem with those guys and Zinovjev etc., is money. They get tax-free star money over there, which is MUCH more than what most teams would be prepared to pay for them over here (and that's including taxes).
Here's the thing. I'm not sold on Marek's ability to translate what he did in Europe to the NHL. A lot of players struggle when they come over and some just can't do it. On top of that, I have a problem with selfish players. it's on of the reasons why I cheered when the rangers traded zidlicky. I always thought guys had to prove themselves on a bigger stage with better talent before they can ask for concessions in contracts (i.e. not signing two-way contracts).

Old
06-23-2007, 05:37 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Where's Prucha?
werd

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 06:20 PM
JayMan82

Was Drafted in '02, the one he didn't cover...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 06:41 PM
eco's bones

On 2003 Baranka almost made the team out of training camp and was having a very good year in Hartford before he got sidetracked by injuries. He remains in my mind a very good prospect--one who hopefully we'll see next season at least for some games. Potter is a free agent I believe having played under a minor league contract last year splitting the season between Charlotte and Hartford. Reese finished his college career at Harvard and played very well for Hartford at the end of the season. Schoenfeld raved about those two in the Blueshirt Bulletin of a couple months back and also raved about Sanguinetti who likewise finished the season in Hartford but will more than likely return to juniors for his final eligible season. Reese and Potter are both at this time unsigned but they seem to have promise so the categorization of 2003 as being an ugly draft is IMHO premature.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 09:12 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I like to think the 02 and 03 drafts are behind us. It seems that the NYR organization has been able to put better people in decision making positions. The Jessiman pick is the one that still comes back to hurt us. I wasn't thrilled about Bobby Sang, but I don't know enough about that draft to really make an accurate critique at this point.

This draft should see Cherepanov become a top-6 forward, and very possibly a much needed top liner. If he pans out, then I think we can afford to not pull much else out this time around considering our lack of picks and the strength of the draft.
I agree with this.

The thing is anything can happen to these players but IMO the Rangers have not drafted a player with such offensive skill since Kovalev...I'd put Cherepanov higher cause Kovalev was too fascinated with his immense skating where as Cherepanov is motivated to score a goal on every shift. He'll actually shoot the puck.

To acquire such players at 18 years old is extremely rare considering the Rangers rarely pick high enough in a draft to grab one. Yeah any player can get injured but you can't put a downer on this past draft and assume he will get a career threating injury.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
The Jessiman pick is the one that still comes back to hurt us.
It's not just the Jessiman pick. That was an incredibly deep draft in which we may not have gotten much. I am hopefull Baranka can put his injuries behind him and that Dawes can show that the AHL is not the only place that he can score. There are a few hopefull thoughts for Potter. But even if these prospects do pan out, there just could have been so much more that came from that draft.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Its 4 years since Jessiman was drafted...It's just time to move on...

it sucks that Jessiman hasn't turned into a player but the Rangers have survived the pick fairly well...

It's just time to move on...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:50 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It's not just the Jessiman pick. That was an incredibly deep draft in which we may not have gotten much. I am hopefull Baranka can put his injuries behind him and that Dawes can show that the AHL is not the only place that he can score. There are a few hopefull thoughts for Potter. But even if these prospects do pan out, there just could have been so much more that came from that draft.
exactly but when 99% of the first round makes the NHL, there is a problem. Brian Boyle was drafted as a forward, but the Kings will use him as a dman and he could make the Kings this year. He was in school. Im still hoping that since it is Jessiman's contract year, he will light it up, anything is possible.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
I completely agree... and I hate to beat a dead horse, but oh well... Parise or Getzlaf in that spot, and the Rangers youth goes from solid depth to one of the top 2-3 organizations in the NHL in terms of young talent.

If Parise is our 2nd line center, then we bring back Nylander, and use that extra cap space on a top defender or have the luxury of waiting for Marleau or Thornton next year as opposed to attacking the UFA market. Instead, the Rangers must scramble and overpay a guy like Drury.

If Baranka or Dawes panned out in addition to a Parise or Getzlaf, then you add two large pieces to the puzzle... Instead we are left counting on Dawes and Baranka in the hope that we walk away with at least something from one of the strongest drafts in the last ten years.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda... just one of those days...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 08:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Actually, I'm just hoping that someone like Dawes, (or even Baranka, for that matter), is attractive enough as an asset for a trade. If the Rangers are able to use him to get a piece that benefits the Rangers, then you can say the draft helped the Rangers...somewhat like using Kondratiev to add Sykora last year. You got value out of that selection. It still doesn't make up for not getting a Getzlaf or Seabrook. But, the damage gets minimized.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote