HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathon Blum and other picks

Old
06-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
I'll definitely take that. One guy that really impressed me was Detroit's Filpulla....I would love to have a forechecker like that on our team.

06-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Listening to the audio from Fenton on Blum....they are wanting to sign him to play with Franson immediately.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:48 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Listening to the audio from Fenton on Blum....they are wanting to sign him to play with Franson immediately.
Do they think Blum can make the NHL right away? Cause (unless they've changed the rule and I missed it) a NA player can't play in the AHL until they are 20.

sluggo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanek-26 View Post
Do they think Blum can make the NHL right away? Cause (unless they've changed the rule and I missed it) a NA player can't play in the AHL until they are 20.
Different rules for Americans than it is for Canadians ... he can play in the AHL this up coming season after we get him signed ... Blum was born in California

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It seems like they're almost even more excited about Jeremy Smith than Blum. They were gushing about him and he got his own article in the Tennessean. They're referring to him as their "goaltender of the future," which kind of makes you wonder if they've soured on Rinne for some reason.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
It seems like they're almost even more excited about Jeremy Smith than Blum. They were gushing about him and he got his own article in the Tennessean. They're referring to him as their "goaltender of the future," which kind of makes you wonder if they've soured on Rinne for some reason.
probably due to injuries & inconsistant play ? ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 01:21 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Different rules for Americans than it is for Canadians ... he can play in the AHL this up coming season after we get him signed ... Blum was born in California
Ah, I was under the impression only European players could play before they were 20.

Old
06-24-2007, 01:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Ah, I was under the impression only European players could play before they were 20.
No, in hockey rules, it's typically always "Canadians" in one group and "Everyone else" in the other, for whatever reason.

Old
06-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We should be excited about Smith. His strengths are the exact weaknesses of Tomas Vokoun, so they are seeing everything we have wanted but not had in Vokoun (and yes I realize Mason is our starter now).

Old
06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
No, in hockey rules, it's typically always "Canadians" in one group and "Everyone else" in the other, for whatever reason.
What do you know. Probably missed that because most American prospects go the college route and don't get to the AHL until after at least a few years in college. As for the Canadian thing, its almost certainly a deal between the AHL and the CHL.

Quote:
We should be excited about Smith. His strengths are the exact weaknesses of Tomas Vokoun, so they are seeing everything we have wanted but not had in Vokoun (and yes I realize Mason is our starter now).
As a general rule, never get to excited about goaltenders until they are at least at the AHL level. Their development is so long and up and down, its way to hard to guess whos going to be good and whos not. Just look at the best goalies in the NHL (Luongo, Vokoun, Brodeir, Kipper, Nabokov, Lundqvist etc....) all but two were taking later in the draft and only 1 was taken with an early pick.

Last edited by sluggo*: 06-24-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old
06-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
They said the same things about Brian Finley in 1999 so don't get too excited

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 03:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
They said the same things about Brian Finley in 1999 so don't get too excited
I said "they," not "I"

Old
06-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
As a general rule, never get to excited about goaltenders until they are at least at the AHL level. Their development is so long and up and down, its way to hard to guess whos going to be good and whos not. Just look at the best goalies in the NHL (Luongo, Vokoun, Brodeir, Kipper, Nabokov, Lundqvist etc....) all but two were taking later in the draft and only 1 was taken with an early pick.
That we was supposed to be a they, but regardless, you can rest assured I never get excited about a goalie prospect.

Old
06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
They're referring to him as their "goaltender of the future," which kind of makes you wonder if they've soured on Rinne for some reason.
Pekka was not able to 'steal' any games for the Ads this season. He was serviceable. No doubt. But, Claude knew that offensively we were kind of down - but - we had a lot of one goal or two goal games this year. The problem with that is that for as many as you 'squeak' one out and win (we set the AHL record for OT games this season) - you would hope that your backstop can make some miraculous ones, and give you a little cushion. Our D was not that bad this year either, IMO. So, Pekka as your backup? Sure, I'll buy it. But, remember what I said for months...(ironic, as I am getting my shoulder 'done' tomorrow - after the neck in 05' and the knee in March!) when you injure that shoulder, you don't know how well it will heal, or how much rehab you'll need. I thought Pekka was good - but IMO the greatness was kind of gone this past year...we'll see.

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Actually it is any major junior player drafted as such by the NHL can't play in the AHL until he is 20. You either make the NHL team at 18 or 19 or you are automatically returned to your CHL team. Any college player or college committed drafted player can choose to move to the AHL before 20 after they drop out of college. This rule is to protect a talent drain in major junior.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 01:08 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

As a Habs fan, I won't be baised here.

I think John Blum is a HUGE project. The guy has offensive potential through the roof, although when it came down to it, he wasn't even close to the best offensive defencemen in the playoffs. He had a great season.. and his size isn't bad either, though he needs to put on weight. With added size he can be a #1-#3 guy. Without the size, I'd see him as no more than a #3-#4 guy. On the bright side, I see absolutely no way that John Blum does not make the NHL.. so that's a positive. In my opinion he was picked a bit high.. but not too high.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote