HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

AJ Thelen

Old
06-23-2007, 09:56 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
AJ Thelen

I know we have alot of dman, but since we did not draft one maybe we can sign this young one when he becomes an UFA. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/a.j._thelen I think it would be worth a look. Weller, Purinton and Richter are gone and they can use some AHL depth. He is only 21 and former first round, sather seems to like former first round picks: J Ward, Marcel Hossa, Rico Fata. I can see Sather signing him. He is a big offensive dman, we can use some more offensive dman in Hartford. Most of the Dman we have in Hartford; Staal, Baranka and Sauer are defensive type and Saugenetti will be in juniors again.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:31 PM
NYR469

he's been a ufa for 3 weeks

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
http://www.twincities.com/wild/ci_61...nclick_check=1

Quote:
Former Wild prospect A.J. Thelen of Savage petitioned the NHL to become an unrestricted free agent July 1 and will not re-enter this weekend's draft.

Old
06-23-2007, 10:46 PM
HF_Rangers

Couldn't hurt to give him a look... I hope Slats and Co. consider him.

HF_Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:57 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers View Post
Couldn't hurt to give him a look... I hope Slats and Co. consider him.
we got alot of defensive mind defense in the system which aint a bad thing. outside of Bobby Sanguentti we dont have much offensive dman in the system.

Old
06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
we got alot of defensive mind defense in the system which aint a bad thing. outside of Bobby Sanguentti we dont have much offensive dman in the system.
Thelen had 21 points in juniors this season.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:01 PM
TheRedressor

sign thelen and let him know that the competition for the 6th spot is between himself and staal.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:59 PM
True Blue

Thelen was a very highly touted prospect. If he becomes a UFA, he is certainly worth taking a chance on.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:00 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Thelen was a very highly touted prospect. If he becomes a UFA, he is certainly worth taking a chance on.
he will be an UFA on July 1. Anyone know who his agent is??? Maybe that agent represents some of the Rangers.

Old
06-24-2007, 12:21 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
he's been a ufa for 3 weeks
No he hasn't.

His status has been up in the air until Thursday when it was ruled that he was in fact a UFA

If I were the Rangers I take a run at him. A 2 way contract with a strong chance to make the team would probably get him. Add to that we are an up and coming team and we are a very attractive option to thse youngsters.

Worst case scenario is he helps make our Wolf Pack team better.

I'd love to see it happen

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
he will be an UFA on July 1. Anyone know who his agent is??? Maybe that agent represents some of the Rangers.
why would it?

Let me guess...A week of reading about Nylander and his agent got you thinking huh?

Thelen might be worth a contract but I doubt he would sign here..Really why would he?

He would most likely start the season in hartford behind Baranka Potter Sauer and perhaps Staal...There are teams who are much more thin on defense then the Rangers....

I just don't think it's a good fit for the player...but...This is also a kid that has dropped off in value since his draft year so maybe he would be happy to get a contract...I don't know...there are some questions surronding the kid and with more and more prospects getting ready to sign pro contracts do the Rangers want to waste 1 of 50 contracts on project?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:30 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I would go after him and sign him. At worst he's another asset chip for future use down the road. Anytime you can get something for nothing it is a no brainer. We would be very attractive with the stable of young players we have. The other serious competition I would think would come from Pittsburgh.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
why would it?

Let me guess...A week of reading about Nylander and his agent got you thinking huh?

Thelen might be worth a contract but I doubt he would sign here..Really why would he?

He would most likely start the season in hartford behind Baranka Potter Sauer and perhaps Staal...There are teams who are much more thin on defense then the Rangers....

I just don't think it's a good fit for the player...but...This is also a kid that has dropped off in value since his draft year so maybe he would be happy to get a contract...I don't know...there are some questions surronding the kid and with more and more prospects getting ready to sign pro contracts do the Rangers want to waste 1 of 50 contracts on project?
Exactly.

It would be a waste. Pass.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Exactly.

It would be a waste. Pass.
an AHL contract or a 2 way contract would not be a waste. if anything we would add a chip that we can use to trade down the line.

Old
06-24-2007, 09:15 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
This looks like a typical Flyers signing ......a BIG player with a bad reputation that they can get without giving up any assets.....Umberger anyone?

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:02 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
This looks like a typical Flyers signing ......a BIG player with a bad reputation that they can get without giving up any assets.....Umberger anyone?
Remember Umberger's contract demands to Sather?

Now, that was a good laugh.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
there are some questions surronding the kid and with more and more prospects getting ready to sign pro contracts do the Rangers want to waste 1 of 50 contracts on project?
Just to play devil's advocate (since you know what I think about him), couldn't the same thing have been said about Hossa? Thelen is a former top-5 pick. And that time was not too long ago.

Old
06-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Just to play devil's advocate (since you know what I think about him), couldn't the same thing have been said about Hossa? Thelen is a former top-5 pick. And that time was not too long ago.
I don't think so...Simply because Hossa has NHL value....Thelen is such a question mark...

Hossa has at least shown he is on the right track...can do other things then score to be a succesful hockey player..Thelen hasn't shown that...

I just don't think it's a good fit for the player...I don't think he would sign here to be buried on a depth chart behind Staal, Sauer, Baranka, etc....

i'm not going to go crazy if they sign him...maybe it ends up being a solid move (and one i'd be happy as hell to eat crow about) but the rangers are not desparate for projects right now......

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
I know we have alot of dman, but since we did not draft one maybe we can sign this young one when he becomes an UFA. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/a.j._thelen I think it would be worth a look. Weller, Purinton and Richter are gone and they can use some AHL depth. He is only 21 and former first round, sather seems to like former first round picks: J Ward, Marcel Hossa, Rico Fata. I can see Sather signing him. He is a big offensive dman, we can use some more offensive dman in Hartford. Most of the Dman we have in Hartford; Staal, Baranka and Sauer are defensive type and Saugenetti will be in juniors again.
So he can drink now?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
JP Barry is his agent.

He played very well for the vancouver Giants who won the Memorial Cup once he got used to Don Hay's quite complex D-man system.

On some nights he was the best D-man on the ice on a defense boasting former first rounders Cody Franson and Brendan Mikkelson and current first rounder Jonathan Blum.

Vancouver Giants GM Scott Bonner and coach Don Hay (formerly head coach of the Flames and Coyotes and assistant with the Ducks) both had very good things to say about his attitude. And neither of them is noted for effusive praise.

Thelen expressed some interest in signing with a western Canadian NHL team in a post Memorial Cup interview as he liked the area having played for the HL Prince Albert Raiders and Vancouver.

I saw him play a number of time in the regular season and play-offs and I liked his play. Very good first pass out of his zone and good decision-making.

As a UFA he is a great gamble IMHO.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

However both the Flyers and the Leafs were prepared to ante up.

Old
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
However both the Flyers and the Leafs were prepared to ante up.
Gee, what a surprise, Umberger wanted to be paid like he was picked in the 1st round.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 05:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

What exactly was the joke? That Sather refused to part with an extra $250,000 or that Umberger, as Brook states, wanted to be paid like the 1st rounder that he is?

Old
06-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Gee, what a surprise, Umberger wanted to be paid like he was picked in the 1st round.
Well it certainly was to Brian Burke:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...er#post4363865

Old
06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Thelen expressed some interest in signing with a western Canadian NHL team in a post Memorial Cup interview as he liked the area having played for the HL Prince Albert Raiders and Vancouver.
If Thelen was from western Canada and not from Minnesota,Kevin Lowe would sign him for his team in Edmonton

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote