HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and if Lombardi does nothing...

Old
06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Maybe it's me, but I'm not very high on Scott Gomez.

13 goals and 47 assists? That's it? For a supposed #1 center?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 04:32 PM
nikolai19

Pierre MacGuire, while not the most reliable source of info, said that he wouldn't be surprised to see Lombardi go after Stuart and/or Hannan. I think we will at the very least see one of the following in LA (in order of likelyhood):

Stuart - Drafted by San Jose, wife is from California, there have been articles about his good relationship with Lombardi.
Preissing - Signed as a free agent by Lombardi, has the tools to become a very efficient part of the equation, and now has Stanley Cup finals experience.
Sutton - Signed as a free agent by Lombardi, big tough defenseman, not the quickest feet, but gets the job done. May be asking for too much money.
Hannan - Drafted by Lombardi, most likely San Jose will try and retain him, unless they make a splash for Drury on July 1st.

Any of these guys is an upgrade over an Aaron Miller, primarily due to age and longevity. I think that this is the biggest need to get this team prepared for future playoff experience.

I think Stuart is almost a lock to come here and he would be a fine 3-4 defenseman.

I think LA will use anywhere from 8-10 million in cap space to fill holes on defense because they know how important it is and they cannot guarantee that Visnovsky will be around going forward, and where Blake will be after next year.

Sign two of the above and the team will approve by leaps and bounds.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post

Scott Gomez has more value than his stats. He is fantastic moving the puck up the rink and has tremendous vision. He's never going to score 40 goals but he will rack up tons of assists wherever he goes. He's the type of guy that can turn Dustin Brown into a 35 to 40 goal scorer. He also is a Stanley Cup champion.

I don't know if he's worth $6-$7 million but he is a very valuable commodity on the FA market.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

Im hoping for Hannan and Drury/Breire.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:

I have my concerns about him, as well. Based on what I've heard, he's been struggling with consistency for most of his career. However, he's young and he's a very talented playmaker. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Kings were to sign him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK
The potential UFA in 2008 are Hossa, Thornton,Marleau,Kiprusoff,etc. These IMO are a lot better players to sign. Sure they may re sign with their teams, but I would prefer LA give elite money to elite players.
I respect the point, but, if the rumours swirling around SJ come to fruition, Marleau will likely be with another team by next year (and, undoubtedly, locked up), leaving Thornton as the uncontested #1 in SJ, meaning that he will likely be locked up. Kipper, I thought might have a slim chance of leaving Calgary, but, based on the last few weeks, it looks like the Flames are trying to keep the dream alive and contend for a Cup before their window totally slams shut, meaning that we're not likely to see him wear anything but a flaming C for a while. That leaves Hossa as the most sought-after FA in the league that the Kings can compete with 10 other teams for. I do agree that a GM has to be careful and look beyond the immediate when doling out cash, but, he also has to take oppurtunity into consideration, as well; if there is a legitimate chance at getting an impact player of the Drury/Briere/Gomez ilk right now (and, I believe that DL does plan to add an impact player within the next few seasons), then he has to take a serious look at one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK
However I would be pissed off if we signed the wrong UFA and tied up too much money for the potential elite UFA next summer.
That is the big issue: finding the right player, who brings the right things to the team for the right money. And what constitutes the right player and the right money from DL's perspective is something that we don't know exactly (though, given past statements, we can assume it's got at least something to do with character). In that regard, I'm also a little iffy and back and forth on who I want to commit the team's cap space too. However, I am pretty well convinced that a guy like Drury (or Gomez for different reasons) would be a good fit for the Kings philosophically; whether or not they can be had for the right money and what, exactly, that right money is, I'm not sure of.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 06-25-2007 at 11:49 PM.
kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
KingsFan323

In the FA i just hope we make our defense better, which was one of the worst last year and the reason we couldnt contend. So i think if we could nab Hannan and probably bring back Schneider for a year, we can contend in the west. On offense i would care if we don't get anything but it'll be great to bring in a Nylander or a Kozlov for cheap it will be real nice.

KingsFan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I have my concerns about him, as well. Based on what I've heard, he's been struggling with consistency for most of his career. However, he's young and he's a very talented playmaker. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Kings were to sign him.

I respect the point, but, if the rumours swirling around SJ come to fruition, Marleau will likely be with another team by next year (and, undoubtedly, locked up), leaving Thornton as the uncontested #1 in SJ, meaning that he will likely be locked up. Kipper, I thought might have a slim chance of leaving Calgary, but, based on the last few weeks, it looks like the Flames are trying to keep the dream alive and contend for a Cup before their window totally slams shut, meaning that we're not likely to see him wear anything but a flaming C for a while. That leaves Hossa as the most sought-after FA in the league that the Kings can compete with the rest of the league for. I do agree that a GM has to be careful and look beyond the immediate when doling out cash, but, he also has to take oppurtunity into consideration, as well; if there is a legitimate chance at getting an impact player of the Drury/Briere/Gomez ilk right now (and, I believe that DL does plan to add an impact player within the next few seasons), then he has to take a serious look at one of them.

That is the big issue: finding the right player, who brings the right things to the team for the right money. And what constitutes the right player and the right money from DL's perspective is something that we don't know exactly (though, given past statements, we can assume it's got at least something to do with character). In that regard, I'm also a little iffy and back and forth on who I want to commit the team's cap space too. However, I am pretty well convinced that a guy like Drury (or Gomez for different reasons) would be a good fit for the Kings philosophically; whether or not they can be had for the right money and what, exactly, that right money is, I'm not sure of.
Yet another thing to consider is potential RFA. Next summer Crosby and Ovechkin are RFA. Granted their teams would likely sign them but others like Phaneuf, Richards,etc would be perfect fits on this young team. Would Phaneuf be worth moving 5 1st rd picks? If LA moves Blake at the deadline and adds a couple 1st rd picks then they would have 3 1st in 2008 and 2 in 2009. That would be 4 1st rds (minus one in 2009 as compensation for Phaneuf) and they would not have picks in 2010,2011,2012 and 2013.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

A crazy new concept in this world is that numbers don't always tell the story.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Tadite

I could care less about some big name FA forward.

Who cares about the top-6 when we still don't have a starting goalie or a defense? And worse yet there aren't any good choices on the UFA market for Goalies...

There are some kinda of nice d-man in the top-4ish bottom pairing guys. I wouldn't mind Hannan for example....

But even with a signing of some nice d-man we still have a hell of a uphill battle if we don't have a real NHL goalie....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote