HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Charles Wang: "The Ultimate Commitment" (NYI.com)

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Charles Wang: "The Ultimate Commitment" (NYI.com)

Charles Wang was at Nassau Coliseum today for a press conference.

Charles Wang also appeared on WFan after 4pm to discuss this.
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/news...cbw030104.html
Charles: "The Ultimate Commitment"
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/ticketing/playoffs2004.html
Ticket Offer:

Interesting, but was hoping for that arena annoucement that was supposed to come around the end of January. At some point the folks signing up for new season tickets will get to see free playoff games and they will not have their seats increased.

For this the team may be allowed to keep the fans money during a work-stoppage, if this franchise does survive a work stoppage.

Old
03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
JR#9*

This is because even Wang knows the Isles will be one and done yet again and if they play Ottawa then he's offering all of 2 free home games for the commitment of buying 44 games next year.

Good buisness move for Wang.Plus he gets to keep all that interest on the $$$ if there is no hockey next year.

Great spin Charles.

Last edited by JR#9*: 03-02-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old
03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Smith31

This guy in unbelievable.....could we ask for a better owner????

Old
03-02-2004, 04:05 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
This is because even Wang knows the Isles will be one and done yet again and if they play Ottawa then he's offering all of 2 free home games for the commitment of buying 44 games next year.

Good buisness move for Wang.Plus he gets to keep all that interest on the $$$ if there is no hockey next year.

Great spin Charles.
Who says it's Ottawa? Right now there are four of five teams that can finish first, Tampa is in first today. Can the Isles at least get to the playoffs before you have them done with only two home games?

If your thinking of buying season tickets, it's a good bargain and it does think of the fans. Playoff games are very expensive and if finish strong or add a good player folks will rush out and buy some season ticket subscriptions.

I just want to know if there is a work stoppage does Dolan's ten percent discount apply for Isles-Rangers at Msg in two years?

Old
03-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

Great spin Charles.
No time for bitterness and trying to stomp once again on a playoff team's aspirations, JR. :p (Three years and counting.) Minimize it all you want, but getting there and failing beats not getting there at all, no?

Besides, nothing in this league is a given as far as results...would think you, of all people, would know that by now.

All that said, you are correct on the economic risk/reward for the owner. :p

Last edited by Trottier: 03-02-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old
03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Le Golie

As a true hockey fan in a city that has been deprived of an NHL team for almost a decade, I hope you Long Islanders know just how lucky you are.

Every year I drive 10-14 hours to the closest playoff city to watch 1 first round playoff game. Sometimes I don't even have a ticket ahead of time, I have to hope I can get one from a scalper. I do it because no matter the cost I love to see the atmosphere in other hockey cities like Edmonton or Calgary. It gives me memories of what Winnipeg was like when I was growing up, and puts professional hockey in perspective for me. It reminds me of every single reason why I love this game and always will.

To have an opportunity to go to all the playoff games of my home team without spending any more than I would buying season tickets at any other point of the season is amazing. Instead of looking for Wang's alterior motives, please just understand that this is something that no other owner would do. If the Island should ever suffer the same fate as the Jets (heaven forbid) you will realize all too well what this opportunity means for you as fans.

Old
03-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:

Great spin Charles.

Well the Dolan's give us laughs for the jokes on the ice and higher cable rates thanks

Old
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Smith31

Quote:

Great spin Charles.
Actually.....Wang will pay 2% on all deposits if there is a work stoppage. Better than the bank!! :p

Old
03-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31
This guy in unbelievable.....could we ask for a better owner????

Sure we could. We could ask for an owner who would be smart enough to fire our GM.

03-02-2004, 06:48 PM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
As a true hockey fan in a city that has been deprived of an NHL team for almost a decade, I hope you Long Islanders know just how lucky you are.

Every year I drive 10-14 hours to the closest playoff city to watch 1 first round playoff game. Sometimes I don't even have a ticket ahead of time, I have to hope I can get one from a scalper. I do it because no matter the cost I love to see the atmosphere in other hockey cities like Edmonton or Calgary. It gives me memories of what Winnipeg was like when I was growing up, and puts professional hockey in perspective for me. It reminds me of every single reason why I love this game and always will.

To have an opportunity to go to all the playoff games of my home team without spending any more than I would buying season tickets at any other point of the season is amazing. Instead of looking for Wang's alterior motives, please just understand that this is something that no other owner would do. If the Island should ever suffer the same fate as the Jets (heaven forbid) you will realize all too well what this opportunity means for you as fans.
great post!!
I think Wang has done a great job with the isles to make them competitive but before I will make the "ultimate commitment" and buy this package I want to see if we as an organization go out and upgrade this team into a legit contender. I'll wait a week and see what happens

Old
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

Outstanding post

its good to see real Hockey fans

Old
03-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Gillies9

Quote:

Well said. I wonder how the cynics on this board would react to free playoff tickets for the Portland Islanders.
Having said that, I'd like to an "ultimate commitment" from Wang on the ice in the form of an impact acquisition before the trade deadline. Everyone else in the conference has gotten somebody...

Old
03-03-2004, 07:43 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
No time for bitterness and trying to stomp once again on a playoff team's aspirations, JR. :p (Three years and counting.) Minimize it all you want, but getting there and failing beats not getting there at all, no?

Besides, nothing in this league is a given as far as results...would think you, of all people, would know that by now.

All that said, you are correct on the economic risk/reward for the owner. :p
Have to try and rain on the Isles parade whenever I get a chance.

It's not as much fun anymore as the majority here is a really good group and nomore guys like Francis or Nielsson to wienie to get into it with.

What fun is it if we can't trade shots every now and then?

Old
03-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Just to put it into perspective, you guys have a damn good owner. Just think, it could be Wirtz.

Old
03-03-2004, 10:42 AM
NYIsles1*

Great post on Winnipeg. I remember when it was practically a done deal and the Jets were headed to Phoenix. 30,000 fans staged a rally to keep the team where they were.

Our fans better apprecitate what we have. Right now the Islanders-Rangers-Devils could move and I do not think 30,000 fans would come to fight to keep them if the Yankess were playing the Red Sox.

Closed Thread