HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

7th round - 208th overall Bryan Rufenach

Old
06-23-2007, 12:58 PM
zetterberg40

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
7th round - 208th overall Bryan Rufenach

OPJRA league

5'11

Defensemen
he will be attending Clarkson University.. i guess its where todd marchant and kent huskins were from..

i would have rather have gone with a euro with this, i guess it got THAT BAD

Last edited by zetterberg40: 06-23-2007 at 01:05 PM.
zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 08:09 PM
FissionFire

NCAA guy.....get till 2011 to sign him. Not a bad pick in that respect.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Cup

Eric Doyle would have been better here IMO.

Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
DelVecchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post
Eric Doyle would have been better here IMO.

Care to tell us just a little bit more,

Like who is Eric Doyle?

DelVecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelVecchio View Post
Care to tell us just a little bit more,

Like who is Eric Doyle?
Sure, I had him ranked 57th and CS had him at 69th in their final rankings.

Position: Defender
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: April 5, 1989
Height: 6’-2.5”
Weight: 180 LBS
06-07 League: WHL
06-07 Team: Swift Current
Stats: 58 GP 8 G 21 A 29 PTS

Strengths: Doyle is a smooth skating defender with good puck skills and a decent point shot. He has the ability to be a good puck rusher and quarterback a team’s power play. His size is also another strong area for him and he should be getting bigger. He see the ice well and has a good outlet pass. He is far from a liability in his own end. Can look like he panics at times instead of staying calm, but they are few and far between.

Weakness: He has limited offensive potential so he better work on his defensive play to make him a two way threat. I would like to see him add at least 20 pounds the next two summers as he gets overpowered by physical wingers at times.

NHL Potential: Top 6 two way defender.
Boom or Bust Potential: Medium risk, medium reward. His potential is cloudy to me but I would use a late second or early third rounder on him just because of the potential. Seemed to be better at the start of the season.

Extra Note: I was rather disappointed with his showing at the U-18 championships in Finland this past April. I expected him to show his good skating ability but just looked lost on most outings.

Old
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
If they were torn between Doyle and Rufenach, they almost certainly gave the nod to Rufenach because he's going the NCAA route and will have more time to develop. FWIW.

Doyle sounds like a decent prospect but if you don't expect him to be signable in 2 years, why not take a guy that's going to college and give him more time, if you have them both rated about even and both are longshots anyway?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 03:34 PM
FissionFire

Who ended up drafting Doyle?

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Nobody took Doyle.

Doyle is just too unspectacular for me. Big, pretty mobile, not great defensively or offensively. His upside is a 5/6 guy. Rufenach's ceiling, from what it seems, is a top 4 guy that can potentially play on the top powerplay unit. His game is tailored to the new style of play. A lot of teams get caught up in what the two finalists (especially the winning team) did to get to where they were and they draft and sign free agents accordingly. I felt Detroit did a good job avoiding that, through the draft at least. While everyone was out there looking at big, mobile guys, "the Anaheim model" Detroit took smaller, quicker guys with a lot of hockey sense and leadership abilities. People are overrating what guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Penner, etc did for Anaheim and overlooking what Selanne, MacDonald, Kunitz, Niedermayer, Beauchemin, and most importantly Giguere did. They didn't win because they had all those big guys. The small guys did just as much and most importantly, the balance between the two and the great goaltending is what put them over the top.

Rufenach seems to have the tools to potentially excel, whereas Doyle would just be a very average kind of guy that does a lot of things well but nothing great. I'm not saying he's the steal of the 7th round because he isn't, he's one of the biggest projects in the draft and could easily end up being one of the biggest flops. I'm just saying I wouldn't get caught up in the rankings. Doyle slipped for a reason, this wasn't a strong draft, I'm much happier taking a very high risk, medium to high reward type guy over the medium risk, low reward type guy. When you look at this draft we did manage to get a lot of guys that can be considered "safe". Doyle would be considered another "safe" pick because he was higher ranked and we got him low. With all the safe guys we got I'm glad we took a no name over a guy like Doyle because I feel like he'll have a higher upside.

Besides, with Doyle we'd only hold his rights for two years and we have a lot of young defensemen under contract already (or that will be by the time 2009 rolls around), it'll be hard for him to break in. We hold Rufenach's rights for four years, it'll be an entirely different looking system by 2011, there's a better chance we'll bring a defenseman in then since guys like Meech, Quincey, Kindl, Ericsson, etc, will either be on the team or been done away with.. so there will be room for a couple projects. That's one of the main reasons I feel like we let Jeff May go. Unspectacular, and not much room for him. Doyle looks like he would see a very similar path if we went after him.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Cup

sound good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebda View Post
Nobody took Doyle.

Doyle is just too unspectacular for me. Big, pretty mobile, not great defensively or offensively. His upside is a 5/6 guy. Rufenach's ceiling, from what it seems, is a top 4 guy that can potentially play on the top powerplay unit. His game is tailored to the new style of play. A lot of teams get caught up in what the two finalists (especially the winning team) did to get to where they were and they draft and sign free agents accordingly. I felt Detroit did a good job avoiding that, through the draft at least. While everyone was out there looking at big, mobile guys, "the Anaheim model" Detroit took smaller, quicker guys with a lot of hockey sense and leadership abilities. People are overrating what guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Penner, etc did for Anaheim and overlooking what Selanne, MacDonald, Kunitz, Niedermayer, Beauchemin, and most importantly Giguere did. They didn't win because they had all those big guys. The small guys did just as much and most importantly, the balance between the two and the great goaltending is what put them over the top.

Rufenach seems to have the tools to potentially excel, whereas Doyle would just be a very average kind of guy that does a lot of things well but nothing great. I'm not saying he's the steal of the 7th round because he isn't, he's one of the biggest projects in the draft and could easily end up being one of the biggest flops. I'm just saying I wouldn't get caught up in the rankings. Doyle slipped for a reason, this wasn't a strong draft, I'm much happier taking a very high risk, medium to high reward type guy over the medium risk, low reward type guy. When you look at this draft we did manage to get a lot of guys that can be considered "safe". Doyle would be considered another "safe" pick because he was higher ranked and we got him low. With all the safe guys we got I'm glad we took a no name over a guy like Doyle because I feel like he'll have a higher upside.

Besides, with Doyle we'd only hold his rights for two years and we have a lot of young defensemen under contract already (or that will be by the time 2009 rolls around), it'll be hard for him to break in. We hold Rufenach's rights for four years, it'll be an entirely different looking system by 2011, there's a better chance we'll bring a defenseman in then since guys like Meech, Quincey, Kindl, Ericsson, etc, will either be on the team or been done away with.. so there will be room for a couple projects. That's one of the main reasons I feel like we let Jeff May go. Unspectacular, and not much room for him. Doyle looks like he would see a very similar path if we went after him.
My preference of Doyle over Rufenach has absolutely nothing to do with Anaheim winning the Cup or this overhyped "Anaheim model" that everyone wants to copy or ranking besides my own. I have seen Doyle play and liked his potential, I have not seen Rufenach play so he is an unknown to me in that regard.

Detroit lost to Anaheim because in the end Anaheim had more depth on the backend and better goaltending coupled with the big bodies at forward that were aloud to obstruct entering their zone using positioning (IMO).

Skill will always win out with Detroit when drafting and for that reason alone I can't understand Eric Doyle not being chosen as he has good potential.

I totally agree with the reasoning as to why Detroit picked Rufenach as they tend to let their prospects sit and develop longer than many other NHL franchises do and this way they don't have a number of signing deadlines coming up at the same time.

In my opinion they took a seventh round talent when they had the option to take a second round talent, in the seventh round.