HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming a Scout?

Old
06-17-2007, 03:40 PM
xxsciroccoxx*

vCash: 500
Becoming a Scout?

Hi,
I love hockey almost as much as I love life! I breath this sport! Sadly i cant skate too too well lol.
i was wondering what I would have to do (who i would have to know) to become a scout for a team? For sure i wouldnt start in the big league but how would i get myself started?
Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks a lot!
Charles

xxsciroccoxx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Masao

You just got to know the right people.

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 04:43 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Some level of coaching whether it be at the high school or travel or youth level would be a solid start. It definitely is hard unless you do someone in the business. A lot of hours go into being a scout, but if you love the sport of hockey I'm sure it is definitely worth it.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Trepanated

It might be worth reading what Dan Bylsma has to say about it; in case you haven't heard of him, he's a former NHL player and current assistant coach in the AHL:

http://www.danbylsma.com/askDanAnswer.asp?q=142

Last edited by Trepanated: 06-17-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarbtpmo View Post
It might be worth reading what Dan Bylsma has to say about it; in case you haven't heard of him, he's a former NHL player and current assistant coach in the AHL:

http://www.danbylsma.com/askDanAnswer.asp?q=142
I think the "you haven't played" answer is one of the lamest responses possible.

In general, I trust my own reads over most people that say that.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Trepanated

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I think the "you haven't played" answer is one of the lamest responses possible.

In general, I trust my own reads over most people that say that.
If you're the general manager of an NHL team, then your own reads are a pretty good thing to trust. If you're not, then it's not a bad idea to seek out the opinions of people that know the business. I posted one from a guy who knows the business. The people who actually get hired as scouts in the NHL tend to be people who've played the game professionally.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to discourage anyone. If you've got a dream to be an NHL scout, don't let me stand in your way. Chase your dream, ignore the nay-sayers, etc. But here you've got a guy who played for a few different NHL teams, and has spent the last couple years breaking into the coaching business, and (presumably, as an assistant for an AHL team) meets and deals with tons and tons of NHL scouts saying "I don't know them all but I don't know of a NHL scout who has not played the game at the professional level." If your dream is to be a professional scout, that should really give you pause to think. Hard.

The point of the story is not to argue about the fairness or justice of the situation. I'm just trying to bring some information into the discussion to help judge the reality of the situation. It's like on Seinfeld, when George thinks he might want to be a color commentator for baseball, and Jerry points out that they tend to give those jobs to former players. "That doesn't really seem fair." Maybe not, but life is like that.

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Probably the two best places to start are to coach - anywhere - or get to know someone within an organization - any organization. Then you have to be good at whatever you are doing to move up in the system.

Armond White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 12:41 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarbtpmo View Post
If you're the general manager of an NHL team, then your own reads are a pretty good thing to trust. If you're not, then it's not a bad idea to seek out the opinions of people that know the business. I posted one from a guy who knows the business. The people who actually get hired as scouts in the NHL tend to be people who've played the game professionally.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to discourage anyone. If you've got a dream to be an NHL scout, don't let me stand in your way. Chase your dream, ignore the nay-sayers, etc. But here you've got a guy who played for a few different NHL teams, and has spent the last couple years breaking into the coaching business, and (presumably, as an assistant for an AHL team) meets and deals with tons and tons of NHL scouts saying "I don't know them all but I don't know of a NHL scout who has not played the game at the professional level." If your dream is to be a professional scout, that should really give you pause to think. Hard.

The point of the story is not to argue about the fairness or justice of the situation. I'm just trying to bring some information into the discussion to help judge the reality of the situation. It's like on Seinfeld, when George thinks he might want to be a color commentator for baseball, and Jerry points out that they tend to give those jobs to former players. "That doesn't really seem fair." Maybe not, but life is like that.
My tone is a little harsh, but I just think he makes a lame point. There's obviously
perspective issues and subtle things that a non-pro wouldn't pick up. It shouldn't
be the be all and end all, though.

Seems like the jobs, like the color man ones, are a golden parachutes for former players and buddies. Which is why you get so many bad color commentators, I mean, they can't even get the insight part of it right. I could understand sucking
at public speaking, but they don't even know the game. Probably the same with
some of the scouts.

Just MHO. I watch alot of games live with people who have played, not at *that* level, (except for the time when Brad Bombardir was playing for the Devils and they scratched him and put him in the lower bowl because no one knew who he was. )and they hit me with the "you haven't played" arguement. But I feel I get "it" alot better than they do, and "you haven't played" is more often than not a cop-out answer for "Well, I got nothin', so I'll crack you on the head with that." Part of the reason, I've never played (other than a cup of coffee at roller hockey, a real bad one at that), is because I know the game and I know when I play, that I suck. I know I suck on so many different levels, and it makes me physically sick. If I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing, I could just float on forever in my sucktitude
and never be upset about it.

Don't see why someone shouldn't take a crack at it, you have to have realistic expectations, though, it's clearly tougher to "get in." A lot tougher.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
hfboardsuser

In my quest to become a scout, I've had the pleasure to talk to two people high up in the business. As with anything, you get extremes, and this was no exception:

Western Conference Assistant GM: "You have to have a contact. Go to major junior games. Sit with the scouts. Tell them you'll go see a guy they don't have time to see. If you can get them to trust you, you'll maybe get an in that way. They'll know your name for jobs that come up."

Western Conference Head Scout: "The guys in these jobs don't want to give them up."

The Assistant GM was extremely open to talking about the game. I find a lot of teams are willing to help you- you wouldn't believe my surprise at having a secretary transfer me to the voicemail of so-and-so exec instead of sending me right to a PR person. Not that that didn't happen, but it happened far less than I thought it would.

And of course, like the second person, there are the folks who don't want anything to do with a young whippersnapper. I've literally phoned 2/3rds of the NHL. Out of countless no answers, unreturned voice mails, blow-offs, and string-alongs, I've gotten two people.

This is why I'm going down to the draft. An Eastern Conference GM's secretary asked for a resume and told me he'd be calling me back. A Director of Scouting in the same conference has put off talking with me for weeks. I'd love nothing more to see either of those people in Columbus. I realize they don't owe me anything, but I'm hoping someone somewhere is swayed by me spending $1000 of my own money to come all the way from Edmonton to get in the door.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
That's impressive Mr. Bugg, good luck to you.

I met an ISS scout at an OHL game a year or two ago, he was about my age (25 I think) and
he told me the highest level he played at was Tier II until he realized his career as a player wasn't gonna go anywhere so he got into the office side of things and worked his way up from there.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Chimp

Here's an article about scouting.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/7606

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 04:50 PM
xxsciroccoxx*

thanks A LOT for your help guys! the fact that you take time out of your days to write to me is really REALLY appreciated!
Thanks again!
Charles

xxsciroccoxx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

I think that for anybody wanting to be a PRO scout, they need to have mastery knowledge of the game. Coaching should be a first step. Coaching enables you to study many aspects of the game, that you can relate to your scouting job (Technical Skills, Tactical Skills, Offensive & Defensive Team Play, Strategies, etc....)

I do plan on getting into scouting in the near future, although at the moment i coach Midget hockey.

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
You just got to know the right people.
hmmmmmmmmmmm I am related to a former NHL GM and scout. That just got me thinking.

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I'd rather be a General Manager or a Player Agent than a scout though.

But Chazz is right you'd probably have to start out on coaching.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote