HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Say no to Sheldon Souray

Old
06-17-2007, 12:22 AM
devilinto

vCash: 500
Say no to Sheldon Souray

Am i the only one that is terrified about the rumours that the Kings are the leaders to sign this guy. We need to get better on D not worse. For starters we still have Cloutier. CAn u imagine Souray playing in front of Cloutier. Things could get ugly.

I would rather they lock up Lubo and pick up one of the Big free agents. Let the sharks pick up Sheldon Souray or something.

you know he is going to want upwards of 5 million and he is not worth it.
Lets make LUBO a king for life!

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 12:28 AM
kingsfan25

I would prefer some other D-man mainly because I think he's been overhyped this year and his salary will be inflated accordingly. I've expressed my concerns about his defense in the past, but, honestly, I do think he's a valuable player and I wouldn't exactly be torn up if he were to sign in LA. However, I don't think he's going to be worth the contract he's going to get and I hope DL looks elsewhere for his prime D-man.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 12:43 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

are you guys joking? i'd be extremely pleased if the kings can ink souray. can you imagine how effective our power play would be with visnovsky and souray on the blueline? this guy is one of, if not THE, most offensively talented d-man in the nhl. he has the best point shot in the league, bar none.

not too mention we need as much defense as we can get right now. blake is over the hill, johnson is too young, visnovsky may or may not leave after next season. souray would be a blessing. so would any top defensive pairing ufa.

beggars can't be choosers. anything to improve this team will be highly welcomed.

edit: the kings also have enough cap space next season to sign souray for as high as 6.5 mill a year and still have room to bring in a 5 - 6 million dollar forward.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
are you guys joking? i'd be extremely pleased if the kings can ink souray. can you imagine how effective our power play would be with visnovsky and souray on the blueline? this guy is one of, if not THE, most offensively talented d-man in the nhl. he has the best point shot in the league, bar none.

not too mention we need as much defense as we can get right now. blake is over the hill, johnson is too young, visnovsky may or may not leave after next season. souray would be a blessing. so would any top defensive pairing ufa.

beggars can't be choosers. anything to improve this team will be highly welcomed.

edit: the kings also have enough cap space next season to sign souray for as high as 6.5 mill a year and still have room to bring in a 5 - 6 million dollar forward.
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but Souray wouldn't even be the best offensive blueliner on the Kings. Even if the Kings chose to pay an arm and a leg for him. He wouldn't even be the best scrapper on the team either...

I wouldn't mind him signing for maybe half of what you'd throw at him, but lets not go crazy here, there are actually a number of quality D-Men available via FA and over paying for a guy that's dying to come to LA anyway would be in a word, asinine. Oh and the PP that you say Souray would improve actually doesn't need that much improving. It was actually one of the bright spots of the whole season.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:50 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

1. i never said he was better than lubomir visnovsky. visnovsky has a few norris trophies in his future. but just because the kings happen to already have one of the best defenseman in the league doesn't detract from souray's worth in the NHL.

2. souray WILL net $5 million+. so any talk of the kings or any other team in the league signing him for less than that is entirely irrelevant, despite what a random poster on hfboards thinks he's worth.

3. souray WOULD improve the kings' power play, regardless of how good it was last year. it would go from good to dangerously good. are you complaining about this?

Old
06-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Osprey

Well, you're not the only one, KingsfaninTO. I'm not terribly keen, either, on the idea of him signing with LA. He's a really good offensive defenseman, but the Kings don't need one of those. They have only three real defensemen signed for next season (Blake, Johnson, Visnovsky) and they're all offensive-minded. This team needs defense badly, and we all know that Souray doesn't improve that area at all.

Finally, isn't anyone else getting a little tired of the Kings' idea of improving the defense corps by adding more firepower? It's been like this for the last decade and look at the wonderful track record that it's left them with. Whenever Taylor felt that the team needed help, he went and added a scoring defenseman like Duchesne, Schneider, Yuskevitch, Dempsey or Sopel. Adding Souray would be like channeling Dave Taylor; it's exactly what he would do this Summer if he were still GM. I feel that that would perpetuate the same ol' same ol' situation on defense that we've put up with for what seems like forever: lots of goals for, lots of goals against. I hope that Lombardi is wise enough to stop that cycle here and realize that it's defense that really matters, especially in the playoffs.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:04 AM
devilinto

Osrpy i agree. Everytime we need a d man we pick up a guy that is good on the PP. We already overpayed for Blake and we need to find a cheap effective D man that can play the PK. I think the PP will come around.

Old
06-17-2007, 08:01 AM
johnjm22

He's the next Brian McCabe. No thanks.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
1. i never said he was better than lubomir visnovsky. visnovsky has a few norris trophies in his future. but just because the kings happen to already have one of the best defenseman in the league doesn't detract from souray's worth in the NHL.

2. souray WILL net $5 million+. so any talk of the kings or any other team in the league signing him for less than that is entirely irrelevant, despite what a random poster on hfboards thinks he's worth.

3. souray WOULD improve the kings' power play, regardless of how good it was last year. it would go from good to dangerously good. are you complaining about this?
OK, you're paying Rob Blake $6 mil, you're paying Souray between $5 - $6.5, what do you think Lubo is gunna want? At least what Souray is getting and deservedly so! That adds up to 1/3 of your cap on 3 players... I'm no capologist, but I'd say for a team that's re-building, it's not such a smart move.

Lubo's the priority, not Souray... Kings need to sign Lubo first, then decide what kind of money they have to spend on another middle age blueliner along with resigning Miller. If Souray wants to be here for his family's sake my guess is he'll have to take a little less with the other defensemen that I think interest DL.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
OK, you're paying Rob Blake $6 mil, you're paying Souray between $5 - $6.5, what do you think Lubo is gunna want? At least what Souray is getting and deservedly so! That adds up to 1/3 of your cap on 3 players... I'm no capologist, but I'd say for a team that's re-building, it's not such a smart move.

Lubo's the priority, not Souray... Kings need to sign Lubo first, then decide what kind of money they have to spend on another middle age blueliner along with resigning Miller. If Souray wants to be here for his family's sake my guess is he'll have to take a little less with the other defensemen that I think interest DL.
Blake is off the books by 2008-09, when Lubo needs to be resigned so he will simply take up the money that Blake was using when they resign him.

That being said, I almost threw up when I read in the paper last week that "The Kings have a jersey with Souray's name on it waiting for July 1". We have enough defensemen that can play the point on the powerplay(Visnovsky, Johnson, Blake, Harrold, Cammalleri), whereas we have who for the PK? We do not have anyone that can shut down opposing team's top lines. Not to mention the train-wreck that is Souray in his own end. See this link to get just a typical example of Souray's defensive prowless.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Brodie562

Quote:

ABOUT TIME SOMEONE SAYS THIS!!!!!!!!!!
Forget about Drury, Briere, or whoever else. Lubo and Cammalleri should be the first people on our list of "players to sign over 4 mil."

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:19 PM
bcking

I'd rather us spend the money on a top six forward and get a cheaper d-man like Sarich, Priessing, Lukowhich or Robidais.

bcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but Souray wouldn't even be the best offensive blueliner on the Kings. Even if the Kings chose to pay an arm and a leg for him. He wouldn't even be the best scrapper on the team either...

I wouldn't mind him signing for maybe half of what you'd throw at him, but lets not go crazy here, there are actually a number of quality D-Men available via FA and over paying for a guy that's dying to come to LA anyway would be in a word, asinine. Oh and the PP that you say Souray would improve actually doesn't need that much improving. It was actually one of the bright spots of the whole season.
But if the PK and goaltending situations don't improve, scoring more goals on the PP may be the best option to improve. I agree the Kings PP was pretty good last year (oddly great on the road) but Souray could make it fantastic. Montreal was only competitive this year because of their PP and the guy did set a record for d-man PP goals. Yeah he was -28 but plus/minus can be a marginal stat. They had a lot of guys in double digit minus categories. Souray happened to have had the worst because he was second in ice-time (tells you something about Markov though, led the team in ice-time and was a +2). If Lombardi can find the right pieces to improve the PK than Souray could be the piece that makes y'all a playoff team.

But that free agent money could be spent more wisely getting someone like Timmonen or Rafalski. Guys that can log big minutes, kill penalties and QB the PP. Add a Chris Drury and I'd say the Kings roster is loads better next year.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is anybody else concerned that Rob Blake underwent major hip surgery and may not be ready for the start of the season? If any of Blake, Lubo or Johnson miss any amount of time the Kings look incredibly weak on D. Souray is no Chris Pronger and will get a lot of money but the options on the free agent market are pretty thin all around. The Kings cannot afford to swing and miss on some big name talent especially considering their rivals just won the Cup. Not every move looks good on paper but sometimes you put a guy in the right situation and they improve on the weaker aspects of their game.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:59 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
ABOUT TIME SOMEONE SAYS THIS!!!!!!!!!!
Forget about Drury, Briere, or whoever else. Lubo and Cammalleri should be the first people on our list of "players to sign over 4 mil."
yeah lubo and cammalleri sure led us to a great season last year.

Old
06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
wicker

I don't think Souray is a good fit for us, honestly. The guy's lack of a solid d-game freaks me out. Sure he'll make teams want to gouge out their eyes when we go on the PP, but it'll even things up when he's on the ice for a GA in the same game. I think with JJ, Lubo (hopefully), and Blake, we're really not hankering for an o-minded d-man, quite the opposite.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:30 PM
devilinto

Quote:
yeah lubo and cammalleri sure led us to a great season last year.
Dude this is a very foolish coment. Cammy was one of our top players and he keeps getting better every year. Plus he is home grown.
And Lubo. Come on. This guy has done everything he can. Cloutier cost the Kings big time last year.
Signing Souray would not make us better.

Kariya for around 5 would not be to bad.
Plus maybe Yashin and a D man.
Then u have to try and make a deal for a goalie!

Old
06-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Brodie562

If you expected something last year then you're a fool.

Im very happy with the season those 2 had. Do you think we should let Lubo go or trade him, what about Cammalleri trade him too? Sure lets trade players that we drafted and developed so that we could sign BIG UFA coming off of huge years and will be asking for tons of money. Never mind the fact that soon players like Johnson, Kopitar and others will need new contracts. Why even keep our draft picks, when we could sign UFA every year and not have to wait for them to develop, stupid me.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Johnny Utah

Blake is off the books in 1 year, leaving the Kings with a D core that will be anchored only by Visnovsky(if he re-signs) and a young Jack Johnson. I am all for Souray, because then you have Souray, Visnovsky, Johnson, Harrold and whatever other free agents or guys like Piskula, Hersley, or Petiot for 2008 and beyond.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Randart

Wow what a fun thread enjoyed it all the ones I heartily agreed with and the others as well I am trying to be very open minded here... But I am old school Dave Taylor!
And love a good O-dman... And plus minus is a very irrelative thing nice when its + and sad when its to the neg.... Even some of the better dmen in the league had neg plus/minus. Alot has to do with your goal tender and your team makeup. Ask Rob Blake! All things considered I will go with the guys who think he is a good pick up for the reasons they mentioned... He may improve his play under our Communist coach and with our young guys to help him and push him. Also with Blake to assist maybe its just what this guy needs to improve! Does he surf? Maybe Blakey can take him on a Surfari? He is big enough and crusises along at a nice controlled pace he should be able to throw that big bad body of his around? Maybe with Crow howling on him he will get so ticked off he will take on Pronger!~ That would be fun... could be a really dreamy pick up for us!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:51 AM
funky

No to Souray. He will be expensive, he is horrible in his own zone, and we have offensive defenseman already and a guy in Cammo hat can man the PP's second unit.

Yes Blake is off the books next year but there are better canidates like Redden who may be F/A's. If Blake does well with Johnson see if he comes back cheaper.

This year Hannan fits a need, bring in a vet for the 3rd pairing to mentor Piskula or another rook.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybuzz.com
The only team that can probably sign two big free agents out there is...The LA Kings. They could be a serious force in a few short days. They are looking to add defense. Sheldon Souray is once again the word on the street (e3)
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8248

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

i'd take souray, he seemed like a strong voice in the montreal locker room and i think he has improved on his D from what some canadians fans have said.

i think the kings will go after stuart and hannan instead though. if s.niedermayer retires then i think souray ends up in anahiem.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
taylorguitars

Since I'm moving back to the LA area, I guess I'll get in on this topic. I think Souray is a great defenseman, he's improved in all aspects of the game the last few years, and for the MOST part has a good head on his shoulders. My fear with bringing him to LA is that he's a big time partier. I don't know how he'd handle the Los Angeles nightlife and quite honestly living a Hollywood lifestyle. I think it'd get to him pretty quickly and his play would start to suffer big time. Just my opinion.

taylorguitars is offline   Reply With Quote