HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6th Round Selection #168 - Rangers select Carl Hagelin

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2007, 06:40 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

vCash: 500
This is directly from the NYR website:
"Hagelin, picked 168th overall, was not ranked by any of the major scouting services, but the 18-year-old was a favorite of the Rangers scouting staff and was seen often by Christer Rockstrom, the team's chief European scout. He will get a chance to adjust to the North American game when he arrives in Ann Arbor this fall to play for the same Michigan program that produced Rangers forward Jed Ortmeyer."

Old
06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It's possible that the top two RWs on this team after Jagr leaves are Cherepanov and Bourret.
Bourret could turn into a Morrow or a Verbeek if we're lucky. Cherepanov doesn't apparently have the skating of Bure though he is supposed to be quite the finisher. As lazy as some of the critics have said he is--he doesn't quite fit the Brendl mode. Doesn't look like he's going to eat himself out of the league. He's got something to prove besides--now. Anyway hitting for 18 goals in the best league in his country at 18 years old is quite remarkable. Maybe a Hull or a Robitaille type--supposed to have fantastic hands--to me a legit 1st line prospect. Anisimov and Bourret are possibilities but Alexei goes to the top of our list of forwards--though I'd rate him (for now) behind Staal and Montoya.

Old
06-24-2007, 10:15 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
It's possible that the top two RWs on this team after Jagr leaves are Cherepanov and Bourret.
Don't forget we'll have about a $6.5M salary slot to sign a free agent.

Old
06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Choice

Definitely have faith in Rockstrom. Can you guys think of any other guys who played in the Swedish junior system and then played D-I college?

Old
06-24-2007, 05:59 PM
The Thomas J.*

I like the make up of this kid, He should be a player. I like these sweden playes, they always play smart postional hockey & seeing how this kid likes a North South type of game & can score & wants to play in the states next year sounds great, this could turn out to be a real steal, sleeper of the Draft pick.

Old
06-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Rockström doesn't have the best contacts in Finland, it seems to me, though he was the driving force behind drafting the Korpedo. His speciality is Swedes but also Russians. From what I understand, he has a lot of understanding of and contacts in Russia. Also, I think the Rangers have been following Jan Gajdosik's advice in Europe recently: hence all the Czechs and Slovaks.

Jonasén didn't work out for the Rangers, but he really looked like a possible NHL'er for a while. He wasn't exactly a horrible pick. If he had developed as hoped, he could have been a decent 3rd-line or even 2nd-line player with size and real leadership skills (he was the captain of his team in the WHL, afterall). He'll actually be playing at MoDo next season, after two years in the Allsvenskan.

Rockström has built his spectacular reputation, at least to us outsiders, on finding late-round Swedes, which even for him doesn't pan out every time. Every few years he pulls a real rabbit out of the hat. While we may hype him up a little too much, we are talking about the guy who dug up Niklas Lidström, Kim Johnsson and Henrik Lundqvist, amongst others.
I'll have to disagree on Jonasen...at the time I got some independent scouting reports on him which were far from generous. The issue I have is not so much with Rockstrom, but with the hype associated with him...surely he will not get every pick right, that's impossible...but his reputation amongst some here far outdoes the actual results. I mean Lidstrom was drafted 18 years ago...

Old
06-25-2007, 02:49 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I'll have to disagree on Jonasen...at the time I got some independent scouting reports on him which were far from generous. The issue I have is not so much with Rockstrom, but with the hype associated with him...surely he will not get every pick right, that's impossible...but his reputation amongst some here far outdoes the actual results. I mean Lidstrom was drafted 18 years ago...
Fair point: I have to admit that he does have a lot of hype around him. Also, you're right, Lidström and, to a lesser degree Kim Johnsson are ancient history. What I like about these guys, though, as well as Lundqvist, is that they were drafted because Rockström was essentially the only guy who knew about them, rather than because he flew in the face of perceived wisdom (which, by your account, I suppose the Jonasén pick was -- I defer to your superior knowledge on that one).

Old
06-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Fish

Quote:
I defer to your superior knowledge on that one.
I don't know that I'd ever class my knowledge as "superior"...only that it was probably from different sources

Old
06-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Jonasen wasn't such a bad reach - he had skill, was really big and was keen to the NA game. He came over and became captain of his CHL team and it was looking promising.

Now that Peter Henning pick, that was awful

Old
06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Fair point: I have to admit that he does have a lot of hype around him. Also, you're right, Lidström and, to a lesser degree Kim Johnsson are ancient history. What I like about these guys, though, as well as Lundqvist, is that they were drafted because Rockström was essentially the only guy who knew about them, rather than because he flew in the face of perceived wisdom (which, by your account, I suppose the Jonasén pick was -- I defer to your superior knowledge on that one).
He got the tip about Hagelin from his childhood friend Per Nygaards who then coached Soderteljes Junior team but now is Asst coach for the Timraa Elite team). They are both from Tumba and also good friends with Red Wings legendary NHL scout Hakon Andersson. These guys know Swedish hockey from the inside out. Mr Nygaards best friends are Mats Sundin and Charles Berglund (whom he now shares coaching duites with in Timraa). Some of Nygaards adepts include Anze Kopitar...

Old
06-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
He got the tip about Hagelin from his childhood friend Per Nygaards who then coached Soderteljes Junior team but now is Asst coach for the Timraa Elite team). They are both from Tumba and also good friends with Red Wings legendary NHL scout Hakon Andersson. These guys know Swedish hockey from the inside out. Mr Nygaards best friends are Mats Sundin and Charles Berglund (whom he now shares coaching duites with in Timraa). Some of Nygaards adepts include Anze Kopitar...
Nice, did you read about this somewhere?

Old
06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nice, did you read about this somewhere?
He is my brother - so I ought to know.
2 years younger than myself.
Seriously - it is so.
If I get any more info worth posting - I will

Old
06-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Nich

Quote:
Seriously - it is so.
haha nice

thats actually funny becuase i have 3 guys with who i talk hockey about through e-mail. all of them i met from a partner at my old firm. and one of the guys use to scout for AIK in Sweden. the other day we were talking about nylander and what he thought when he scouted him as a 17-18 year old.

Old
06-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Seriously - it is so.
Excellent BBK, definitely keep us updated

Old
11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
MorrisWanchuk

BUMP

an interesting read about the then unknown Hagelin at his drafting.

Old
11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Vitto79

it is interesting. Can't wait to this kid on a nightly basis

Old
11-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Pizza

Thanks Christer. Cheers to you where ever you are.

It's only been two games so far, but it's hard not to like what you so see from Hagelin out there.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Not putting this up as a critique, but this is a very interesting post in that underscores a whole lot of things. Wow.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I think he will wind up being a 15goal,40point 3rd liner who will wind up being amazing defensively.thats what I think.I also think he will have a few 25 goal seasons,maybe 2 and thats it.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Please use the Hagelin/Mitchell thread.

It's just pain.
Closed Thread