HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

1st round - 27th overall Brendan Smith

Old
06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
I agree. I don't get the whole 'drafting a tough guy' nonsense. Draft great players, sign good players, hang on to young (rookie contract) players, and either pay at market value or let the guy go. That's the recipe for success in a capped environment.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 11:24 PM
SlavaKozlov

Well, I didn't really know anything about any of the prospects in this draft, and I thought Petrecki would be a great pick because of his size and physical play, and that being a need. However, the more I read stuff and think about it, I really like this pick. If we want a big, mean, stay at home D-Man, we can just sign Andy Sutton this summer. At least if we do that, we know we would get a player who has consistantly played in the NHL, where Petrecki is an unknown.

The draft is a crap shoot, and this Brendan Smith looks like he has the skills to be one heck of a hockey player. He just needs to bulk up a bit and he might still have another inch or so to grow because of his youth, and he already has the great skating and powerplay QB abilities. If he can just step his D up a notch, I think we'll have a good player on our hands. Plus it seems like he doesn't completely shy from contact, hopefully if (I want to say when....) he bulks up, he'll throw his weight around and be a great 2 way guy. I can see him having Niedermayer/Schneider potential (*note* I say POTENTIAL) and I think that is great.

SlavaKozlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 11:52 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Smith will have 4 years to grow, develope and mature. The kid could very well be a home run deal. We have next years draft to pick a hard nosed defensemen. Lets just remain posititive and wish this kid the best of luck in what wisconsin? and hopefully he will emerge BIG TIME....

petrecki would have been good too, but we didnt pick him... some ppl need to get over it. I remember a few ppl not liking the kindl pick, like myself.. but now im THRILLLLLLED we picked him.. maybe wanted mcardle and hell, id be pissed now if we passed up kindl for kendall

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Just a few thouhts here...

Keaton Ellerby. Ever heard of that guy?! Rated like 4th or 5th NA skater. Was said to be the second most rugged guy after Petrecki. 6'4'' big - and 186 lbs. Hell, that is as much need to fill out as in the case of Smith. Smaller frame, lighter weight. But we are talking about a guy who is considered to be physical in Ellerby - and a guy considered first and foremost finesse in Smith!

And yes, I would take a 24 year old Niedermayer or Coffey over a... say... Kasparaitis at the same age every day! Yes, I too hoped for Petrecki. But the more I read about Smith the more I like that pick. And in the later rounds they found guy who slipped big time. Hell, Torquanto could well have gone in the 2nd from the rating! Andersson could have gone in the 1st! Thats really good in my books. OK, I started hoping for Cherepanov when he slid by the 15th spot. But that was just wishful thinking.

The wings rarely draft the safe pick. They often hit hard for the homerun. You can walk away with a Lidström, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kindl (well... at least it looks like he might belong there right now) and so on. But you run the danger of getting a Löfberg or Berggren. Sure. But then again... you can get a Daigle and pass on the likes of Koivu or so when you go "the safe way".

Draft is always a bit of a crapshoot. Even more the later you pick. So when you see something in a guy, take him. I like that attitude. If the wings would always go for the big, physical guy who is by the time of the draft playing top tier hockey and impressing ALL the scouts then... yes, kiss Nick and Feds, Vladdie and Dats, Z and Homer and so on goodby - and in that essentially all the cups. Or do you think they would have won them without Nick and Feds?!

Look at recent drafts. I think the outcome is pretty solid! We picked late and still got a bunch of decent prospects out of it. Kindl was an outsider pick. Abelkalder was one. Noone ever heard of Mursak... Ryno and so on. I think we have good chances of seeing Smith, Andersson and Torquanto dress up. And the other two may or may not. Anyway, i think its pretty solid in relation to where we drafted!

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman View Post
He seems under-sized to me. I realize that there are others on this board who are much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to prospects and the process of developing talent, but a lot of kids that Detroit drafts seem to be small. This doesn't negate the possibility of their making it in the NHL, but does seem to present a hindrance. These smaller prospects also don't seem to make it to the NHL, which makes me worry about the selection of Smith.

I also noticed that the Sharks picked Petrecki with the very next pick. Petrecki is big and hyped as very physical, which is somewhat frustrating because that's the type of defenseman we don't have a lot of. Perhaps bigger prospects might peak earlier or seem better since they play with physically smaller peers, but I wish the Wings would have picked Petrecki at this point in time. Future may show me different.
How is Smith small? Height wise he's fine, and of course he's built like a rake atm, but with time that will improve.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
I think this guy is nearer to be the next Mathieu Schneider, not Scott Niedermayer.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:19 AM
DelVecchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I think this guy is nearer to be the next Mathieu Schneider, not Scott Niedermayer.

And that's Bad???

Schneider's played in the NHL for 16 years (and counting).

DelVecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
SlavaKozlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelVecchio View Post
And that's Bad???

Schneider's played in the NHL for 16 years (and counting).
I agree 100%. Schneider is one of the premier offensive defensemen in the NHL today, and still playing very well. If Smith can develop into a Schneider-esque player (I also made this comparison in my earlier post), we got a hell of a player. I think the Niedermayer comparisons come up because of Smith's speed on his skates.

Old
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
ThatOneGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov View Post
I agree 100%. Schneider is one of the premier offensive defensemen in the NHL today, and still playing very well. If Smith can develop into a Schneider-esque player (I also made this comparison in my earlier post), we got a hell of a player. I think the Niedermayer comparisons come up because of Smith's speed on his skates.
Schneider is a second pairing offensive defenseman. That doesn't make him premier. I would still take Gonchar over Schneids, atleast Gonchar has some on ice vision instead of just blasting shots into the shins of the other team.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
SlavaKozlov

I disagree, I think Schneider can be a top pairing defenseman on most teams in the NHL, but that's neither here nor there. If Smith develops into anything like Schneider (top 4 defenseman, 1st unit PP QB (though Scnheids is 2nd unit on Det), solid, though not imaculate, on D, a little bit of an edge) then I would be estatic.

Old
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov View Post
I disagree, I think Schneider can be a top pairing defenseman on most teams in the NHL, but that's neither here nor there. If Smith develops into anything like Schneider (top 4 defenseman, 1st unit PP QB (though Scnheids is 2nd unit on Det), solid, though not imaculate, on D, a little bit of an edge) then I would be estatic.
Schneider can be a top pairing defenseman.

He can also put up a -20 if he were ever to be a top pairing defenseman.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Schneider gets a lot of points because he takes a million shots a night on the PP, and the Wings score a lot of goals. He's not close to a premier defensive player, and would be grossly exposed playing 25+ minutes a night against #1 lines all season. That's assuming he didn't have Nick or some other lockdown defender as a partner.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
JacksonGalaxy

These comparisons are so ridiculous.

He's only compared to Schneider because neither have ideal size, but are above average skaters, and good offensive defensemen, while we all know about Schneider's defensive lapses and Smith sounds like he could have the same problem (though he made big strides this year from what it sounds like).

But beyond that the comparison means nothing. Whether or not Schneider is a first pairing defenseman should have no say as to whether or not Smith can be a first pairing defenseman. The only reason they're compared is because they do have very similar styles of play. Nill compared him to Niklas Kronwall, but that doesn't mean he's going to be an injury prone, unlucky guy that tends to miss his stretch passes. It is NOT a bad thing to be compared to Schneider. He's not going to become Schneider for Christ sakes. Right now they're about the same size and the strong points in both their games is offense. Smith has a long time to develop though, he can put on some weight and add an entirely new physical dimension to his game. Once he gets to college he could lose his offensive touch. He's got good numbers and the videos on him show that he has a strong ability to rush the puck into the zone but that's against Jr. A talent, an entirely different field awaits him in division 1 college hockey. Maybe he bulks up AND loses his offensive touch. Then he's an entirely different player than Schneider, it could be a good thing, it could be a bad thing.

All I'm saying is the debate as to whether Schneider is a top pairing defenseman should be kept in a different thread. It has nothing to do at all with Brendan Smith.

He's not Mathieu Schneider, he's Brendan Smith.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

For what it's worth, McKeen's points out that Smith's older brother plays with him on the Buzzards, and their dad was Head Coach. Both are big men; there's every reason genetically to suppose that Smith will fine out his frame quite handily - there won't be any size issues with him. And 4 years in the Wisconsin hockey mill will pound defensive responsibility into his head.

The Niedermayer comparisons are overreaching at this stage (after all, he's among the very best defencemen in his generation), but Smiths got a very good shot at being an impact player in the NHL for a long time. He is a project, though, that wil take 5 or 6 years to start to pay off, so be prepared to be patient.

Ohio Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
matt carle version 2?

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
How is Smith small? Height wise he's fine, and of course he's built like a rake atm, but with time that will improve.
The weight is what I was reacting to. Like I said in my previous post, I don't know as much as others about developing prospects and what kind of growth one can expect from a prospect. In the past, the Wings have had prospects that never seemed to "fill out" and that was one of the thing that hindered their potential to play in the NHL (though they excelled in the AHL or their national league).

I'm reading more about Smith and liking what he could potentially bring. I think I'm hoping for Detroit to have sure thing from the draft, and that's just not going to happen, especially with our picks. I just need to be patient and remember that Dats and Hank were picked 171st and 210th overall and not heap too many expectations on these kids.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 07:13 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
And yes, I would take a 24 year old Niedermayer or Coffey over a... say... Kasparaitis at the same age every day!
Niedermayer? Not me. Niedermayer wasn't very good at 24, and I think he's overrated now.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote